USMB Coffee Shop IV

Checked my trail cam a few minutes ago and found this fellow lurking around. He doesn't know that it isn't that much longer until shotgun deer season.

I honestly respect you deer hunters, especially those who hunt to stock their freezers. But I have to say, ever since I saw this movie, every time ya'll talk about deer hunting, I see this scene in my head:

My husband came home from deer hunting one day, so proud with this big doe strapped to the back of the truck....he didn't feel so good when our daughter, only about 3, said, "it's Bambi"......:(

I have not hunted big mammals since I left the Army.

Good morning, everyone.

My dog, Klia, -whom I wrote about yesterday - has taken a turn for the worse. The vet told me as he was injected the pooch yesterday with cortisone that there would probably be side-effects, not the least of which is the pancreas - and the dog already has had and barely survived pancreatitis. She refuses to eat, refuses to drink. I had to place her pill in a little bit of liverwurst and place it in her mouth, hold her mouth shut and wait until she swallowed in order to get antibiotic in her. This happened once before, in February of 2012, but she could still mostly go on foot. This time, she really is "bedridden"

She can't even get up on her own anymore and is too weak to yelp over the pain. Since vets don't work on the weekend in Germany, the only real option for me is to make life as comfortable for her as possible and if she hasn't already died by Monday (which I consider to be a real possibility), then I will take her to the vet and have him put her down.

My daughter and I, we got back from the Oktoberfest at about 1 am this morning and my friend(s) who watched Klia for us really went above and beyond the call of duty. She peed all over my buddy as he was carrying her down the steps, so his wife drove home and brought him another set of clothes to wear. That is true friendship.

Because of the Oktoberfest from yesterday, I really thought my daughter would sleep-in forever this morning, so I snuck out the door at 9 am with the pooch in my arms and when I got back, I was with the pooch on the floor, giving her her meds, cleaning out her ears, giving her water by the dropper-full and gently talking to her. I was actually quite unaware of the tears coming down my cheek, but then I a felt a small hand touch my shoulder and my daughter hugged me from behind and we both cried together. My daughter asked if I was planning to have Klia put down and I simply told her the truth: that is is likely unavoidable, that death is also part of the life-cycle, and that she should use this weekend to say her goodbyes. And then my little daughter sat down next to me, petted the dog and helped to clean out her ear and give her some water with the dropper.

I just went with the pooch for a second time today and got her to lick exactly one spoonful of water before turning her head away.

So, with the dog bundled up, my daughter and I are going swimming for a while. There is nothing we can do and the pooch will sleep for four or five hours, anyway. Just 10 steps once I get her on her feet just totally wears her out.

I feel pretty ripped-up inside. Having to say goodbye to a true companion like my dog is very, very difficult.

-Stat

Putting her down is the best thing you can do. Klia is not enjoying life much, and she doesn't need to undergo all that pain. So sorry you have to wait until Monday....I hope Klia isn't in unbearable pain. I feel for you, Stat, it's hard to say goodbye to our pets.

It's been a long day, spent all of it with daughter and dog. Princess Statalina is really understanding that this is coming to an end and although she is sad, she knows it is for the best. I am totally torn up inside, but know also that it is for the best.

When we got home from swimming, the first thing I did was to grab the dog to take her outside. She really did try to stand up and almost made it, and when we got outside, instead of taking 10 steps, she took maybe 15 and then fell over. I got her back up on her feet and she peed and wanted to go back indoors immediately. She is even too tired to squeal that she is in pain. To answer Nosmo King or perhaps Luddly Neddite (I am just too tired to remember who wrote what, sorry guys), the vet told me that that all courses of action had run out and that an extreme cortisone shot could maybe or maybe not get the pooch back on her feet. He told me there would be side-effects, like extreme hunger and thirst and therefore the need to go pee more, unless of course the cortisone were to also adversely affect the pancreas (and hers is already shot from a sickness in 2012), so I am sure the cortisone may kill the dog even sooner, because she refuses to eat even one bit and getting more than one lick of water into her is impossible. She has no appetite at all. A dog can live for a number of days without food, but for 2-3 days maximum without water.

It's possible that the vet, on Monday, could give her a fluids IV. He did this in 2012 and again in 2013 and the dog walked around as if it had two extra pouches on the sides of her shoulders for a day or so - but that is nothing more than a stop-gap measure. It looks like an ear infection has ruined her balance and the pain overall is just too much for her, even with the pain meds which started today.

Hell, she is 16.5 years old, which equals about 115 human years, if I recall.

So, I am on deathwatch tonight and tomorrow. Gracie gave some really good advice to me a long time ago and told me to talk with the dog and let her know that it is ok for her to go over to the other side. Well, the dog is so out of it, I am not even sure she registers that I am her master most of the time. She is totally confused and obviously miserable. But when I talked with her just about 15 minutes ago, I got one lick on the hand and am taking that to mean that poochie understands me.

My daughter, of her own volition, groomed the dog this evening and sat with her. The kid even gave up her Scooby Doo cartoons to do this. She wanted the dog in her bed for the night, but I said no.

I want to thank so many people her for the kind thoughts and well-written responses to my situation. That is truly kind of all of you. Wow.

Checked my trail cam a few minutes ago and found this fellow lurking around. He doesn't know that it isn't that much longer until shotgun deer season.
My GAWD, pard... you and those MONSTER BUCKS down there. I mean that right there is good enough to enter into Boone and Crockett. That is a nice freakin' deer!

Good morning, everyone.

My dog, Klia, -whom I wrote about yesterday - has taken a turn for the worse. The vet told me as he was injected the pooch yesterday with cortisone that there would probably be side-effects, not the least of which is the pancreas - and the dog already has had and barely survived pancreatitis. She refuses to eat, refuses to drink. I had to place her pill in a little bit of liverwurst and place it in her mouth, hold her mouth shut and wait until she swallowed in order to get antibiotic in her. This happened once before, in February of 2012, but she could still mostly go on foot. This time, she really is "bedridden"

She can't even get up on her own anymore and is too weak to yelp over the pain. Since vets don't work on the weekend in Germany, the only real option for me is to make life as comfortable for her as possible and if she hasn't already died by Monday (which I consider to be a real possibility), then I will take her to the vet and have him put her down.

My daughter and I, we got back from the Oktoberfest at about 1 am this morning and my friend(s) who watched Klia for us really went above and beyond the call of duty. She peed all over my buddy as he was carrying her down the steps, so his wife drove home and brought him another set of clothes to wear. That is true friendship.

Because of the Oktoberfest from yesterday, I really thought my daughter would sleep-in forever this morning, so I snuck out the door at 9 am with the pooch in my arms and when I got back, I was with the pooch on the floor, giving her her meds, cleaning out her ears, giving her water by the dropper-full and gently talking to her. I was actually quite unaware of the tears coming down my cheek, but then I a felt a small hand touch my shoulder and my daughter hugged me from behind and we both cried together. My daughter asked if I was planning to have Klia put down and I simply told her the truth: that is is likely unavoidable, that death is also part of the life-cycle, and that she should use this weekend to say her goodbyes. And then my little daughter sat down next to me, petted the dog and helped to clean out her ear and give her some water with the dropper.

I just went with the pooch for a second time today and got her to lick exactly one spoonful of water before turning her head away.

So, with the dog bundled up, my daughter and I are going swimming for a while. There is nothing we can do and the pooch will sleep for four or five hours, anyway. Just 10 steps once I get her on her feet just totally wears her out.

I feel pretty ripped-up inside. Having to say goodbye to a true companion like my dog is very, very difficult.

-Stat

Putting her down is the best thing you can do. Klia is not enjoying life much, and she doesn't need to undergo all that pain. So sorry you have to wait until Monday....I hope Klia isn't in unbearable pain. I feel for you, Stat, it's hard to say goodbye to our pets.

It's been a long day, spent all of it with daughter and dog. Princess Statalina is really understanding that this is coming to an end and although she is sad, she knows it is for the best. I am totally torn up inside, but know also that it is for the best.

When we got home from swimming, the first thing I did was to grab the dog to take her outside. She really did try to stand up and almost made it, and when we got outside, instead of taking 10 steps, she took maybe 15 and then fell over. I got her back up on her feet and she peed and wanted to go back indoors immediately. She is even too tired to squeal that she is in pain. To answer Nosmo King or perhaps Luddly Neddite (I am just too tired to remember who wrote what, sorry guys), the vet told me that that all courses of action had run out and that an extreme cortisone shot could maybe or maybe not get the pooch back on her feet. He told me there would be side-effects, like extreme hunger and thirst and therefore the need to go pee more, unless of course the cortisone were to also adversely affect the pancreas (and hers is already shot from a sickness in 2012), so I am sure the cortisone may kill the dog even sooner, because she refuses to eat even one bit and getting more than one lick of water into her is impossible. She has no appetite at all. A dog can live for a number of days without food, but for 2-3 days maximum without water.

It's possible that the vet, on Monday, could give her a fluids IV. He did this in 2012 and again in 2013 and the dog walked around as if it had two extra pouches on the sides of her shoulders for a day or so - but that is nothing more than a stop-gap measure. It looks like an ear infection has ruined her balance and the pain overall is just too much for her, even with the pain meds which started today.

So, I am on deathwatch tonight and tomorrow. Gracie gave some really good advice to me a long time ago and told me to talk with the dog and let her know that it is ok for her to go over to the other side. Well, the dog is so out of it, I am not even sure she registers that I am her master most of the time. She is totally confused and obviously miserable. But when I talked with her just about 15 minutes ago, I got one lick on the hand and am taking that to mean that poochie understands me.

My daughter, of her own volition, groomed the dog this evening and sat with her. The kid even gave up her Scooby Doo cartoons to do this. She wanted the dog in her bed for the night, but I said no.

I want to thank so many people her for the kind thoughts and well-written responses to my situation. That is truly kind of all of you. Wow.
It's tough coming to grips over putting down a beloved pet. I have done it twice and now I have Daisy the Mutt who is still in her prime at five years old.

One important thing to realize is, dogs live in the present. If you could ask a dog 'what time is it?' The dog would answer, 'NOW!'.

Their immediate comfort is the benchmark. But if that comfort cannot be sustained, their ultimate comfort is the goal.

Good luck to you and your daughter. Be compassionate in the extreme and ease the poor dog's misery.

Good morning, everyone.

-Stat

It's time, Stat. On Monday...take Klia to the vet and tell her why you are. Then send her on her way. Be with her. Hold her. Talk to her as it is happening, and do it. I will send a prayer that Gracie meet her at Rainbow Bridge so when she crosses over she will be met by all your previous pets, and mine too. At this point, you have to be Klia's best friend...and send her on her way. If you can do it on Sunday and the Vet is available...do it asap. Klia wants to go and she needs help getting there. So help her cross over.
I'm so sorry. :(

Statistikhengst

The Last Battle
If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this — the last battle — can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close — we two — these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

— Unknown

To quote Dr. Seuss, “Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.”

My twin lives in Fairhope by Daphne, AL. You sound like you're neighbors. We venture that way often. Lovely area.

And Tresha91203, I guess I had seen you on other threads and thought you were already a Coffee Shopper when you posted yesterday, but when I was signing in Truman123 and natrualgas, I saw that you weren't on the list. So I was remiss in not greeting you and now say welcome, welcome. We're happy you found us. And your first timers complimentary beverage:

797cappuccino.jpg
No worries, Foxy. I'm sure I've had my welcome cup here already. My work is so hectic I can only post in spurts. I was on a frenzy a week last month while on vacation from work, but now back to few and far between. It may be a month before I speak again.

Thanks for the cuppa! ♥

Okay, finally found a laptop the wife likes (without the number pad on the keyboard) but it's only a 15" screen, the largest we could find in that configuration with a touch screen. Of course the thing comes with the hated Windows 8.1 but she doesn't mind though I do, I'm the one who had to configure it and has to explain how it works.
Did find a way to bypass the dang Start screen (tiles) and boot directly to the desktop as well as loading Classic Shell for her.
Oh and she bought it with her money, not mine........ :eusa_whistle:

All mine are cremated. Costs more, but I don't want them in the ground. I finally laid the last ones under the tree in the backyard but Gracie is still in her heart shaped box next to my monitor. She stays there until Karma goes, then Moki, then either me or hubby. Last one standing takes us all together and dumps us in the ocean. Together.

Okay, finally found a laptop the wife likes (without the number pad on the keyboard) but it's only a 15" screen, the largest we could find in that configuration with a touch screen. Of course the thing comes with the hated Windows 8.1 but she doesn't mind though I do, I'm the one who had to configure it and has to explain how it works.
Did find a way to bypass the dang Start screen (tiles) and boot directly to the desktop as well as loading Classic Shell for her.
Oh and she bought it with her money, not mine........ :eusa_whistle:

Yanno, nobody squealed and bawled and complained and bitched about Windows 8 more than I did. But now after living with it for awhile, if I was in the market for a new computer and was given the choice between Windows 7 and Windows 8, I would take Windows 8. It just has a lot of very nice feature that I like and I've learned how to do everything I need to do. Now feel mildly irritated that Windows 7 can't do what Windows 8 does. I do boot directly to my desktop though.

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, and Sheila's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
BDBoop, her sis, and family,
Hombre,
Pix,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj and Nana,
Sheila's sore foot post surgery healing,
Complete healing for Mrs. Ringel and the Ringels in difficult transition,
Pogo's aunt,
Derideo_te for comfort and healing,
Sarah G for comfort and healing,
Ollie and Mrs. O for a complete recovery,
Mrs. Hossfly (Liz) and Hossfly,
Stat and his daughter as they say the long goodbye to their beloved Klia,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
Safe travels for those traveling,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Oddball, Sunshine, Jughead, Sheila, and Becki and all the others who have been MIA lately. We hope everyone is okay.

img_0322.png

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Sunshine,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Sherry’s Mom,
Hombre,
Pix,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
Pogo's aunt,

And the light is on awaiting the return of Oddball, Sunshine, Jughead, Sheila, and Becki and all the others who have been MIA lately. We hope everyone is okay.

img_0322.png

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.
Foxfyre you can remove Mrs.Hossfly and me from the list. She has made a complete recovery from her ordeal. One that has amazed the doctors and medical staff who tended to her. I lost about 15 pounds the past month from worry and eating hospital food. I also suffered the loss of $75 for running a red light in Denton, TX near the hospital. I'll give a detailed report on events in the next few days and it could be an important step in helping kidney patients, especially diabetes sufferers. I would also like to thank everyone here who offered prayer and support for the missus. It was very helpful and much appreciated.

Sunshine,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Sherry’s Mom,
Hombre,
Pix,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
Pogo's aunt,

img_0322.png

Foxfyre you can remove Mrs.Hossfly and me from the list. She has made a complete recovery from her ordeal. One that has amazed the doctors and medical staff who tended to her. I lost about 15 pounds the past month from worry and eating hospital food. I also suffered the loss of $75 for running a red light in Denton, TX near the hospital. I'll give a detailed report on events in the next few days and it could be an important step in helping kidney patients, especially diabetes sufferers. I would also like to thank everyone here who offered prayer and support for the missus. It was very helpful and much appreciated.

Great to hear Hossfly. I'm always really happy to take somebody off the list who no longer needs to be there. Sending you and Mrs. H a Mama Fox ((hug)) and I'm off to bed. See all ya'll in the morning.

If I buy a laptop, I am going to have Staples install Windows 7. I HATE learning new gadgetry.

You have been given the gift of time to adjust Stat. I always gave my cats a last day filled with food they liked and time with me before the vet visit. Also dug the grave in advance, that is tough to do after.

Klia will be cremated. I just called the vet and left a message on the machine that I will be bringing the dog there tomorrow at 10 am to have her put down. This is of course assuming that the dog lives through the night.

You have been given the gift of time to adjust Stat. I always gave my cats a last day filled with food they liked and time with me before the vet visit. Also dug the grave in advance, that is tough to do after.

Klia will be cremated. I just called the vet and left a message on the machine that I will be bringing the dog there tomorrow at 10 am to have her put down. This is of course assuming that the dog lives through the night.
My heart goes out to you, bro. It wasn't that long ago I had to have the vet come over and put my little buddy of almost 20 years to sleep. I was numb for three days afterwards. I had him cremated as well. But many here know first hand what you're going through, and I'm sure everyone feels your pain.

Hang in there, man.

My heart goes out to you, bro. It wasn't that long ago I had to have the vet come over and put my little buddy of almost 20 years to sleep. I was numb for three days afterwards. I had him cremated as well. But many here know first hand what you're going through, and I'm sure everyone feels your pain.

Hang in there, man.

Thanks, 007. There is nothing I can do till tomorrow and with every passing hour, the pooch becomes more and more like a vegetable. She can't stand on her own and then when I stand her up, she leans way to the left and usually falls down. And when she does stay upright, she can take all of 4 steps and then stops. And remains standing for about 5 minutes and then kind of falls down. However, her last energy reserves are used to keep me from feeding her anything at all. She wouldn't even accept cooked carrots, which my dog loves.I gave her 10 large spoons of water in the last hour, but I bet that 1, maybe 2, if at all, actually made it into her stomach.

She's ready to go. My little daughter is playing with the dog right now, which giving me 10 minutes to type.

Ahhh, I see that the dog just fell asleep. So, the little one and I are off for a long bike ride and then to make waffles at her best little friend's house (Sunday homemade waffles are a North-Rhein-Westfälisch tradition here where I live). When we get back in 2-3 hours, I will take the dog downstairs again, where she again will go all of 4 or 5 steps, peed 3 drops of pee and then just stand there, all miserable. At least the dog didn't puke at noontime today, most likely because there is nothing left in her stomach to puke-up.

What a sad quandary. But my daughter is tough and it's good for her to learn that life is a cycle. I am proud of my little one for pitching in to help. Tonight, I will take one final picture of her with the dog.

Forum List

Back