USMB Coffee Shop IV

Hopefully I've finally ended the saga of the swamp gas smell in the bathroom........ For about a month we've had a swamp gas (sewer) smell emanating from the bathroom, occasionally strong, sometimes non existent. Had contacted the property manager who sent out a repairman but he couldn't smell anything and couldn't find anything. A week later we demanded he come back and replace the wax ring which he did but he used the cheap small ring with a flange. Well, it knocked the smell down for a few days but it came back just as strong, okay, he comes back with a can of Flex Seal (as seen on TV) goes under the house and sprays all the waste line joints just in case. Note: DO NOT use this stuff indoors with out opening every door and window with fans blowing out!!!!!!!!
Nope, doesn't work, I know it's the tiny wax ring but he swears it will do the job. I Just finished putting another small wax ring (no flange) on top of the one he installed and reinstalled the toilet. Now it's a waiting game to see if I was correct.......
Sewer gas smell can also come from a dry trap on the sink or tub, since they're all tapped into the same drain and vent. I'd wait until I smelled it than just go around smelling drains. The offending drain should be REAL easy to find.

Hopefully I've finally ended the saga of the swamp gas smell in the bathroom........ For about a month we've had a swamp gas (sewer) smell emanating from the bathroom, occasionally strong, sometimes non existent. Had contacted the property manager who sent out a repairman but he couldn't smell anything and couldn't find anything. A week later we demanded he come back and replace the wax ring which he did but he used the cheap small ring with a flange. Well, it knocked the smell down for a few days but it came back just as strong, okay, he comes back with a can of Flex Seal (as seen on TV) goes under the house and sprays all the waste line joints just in case. Note: DO NOT use this stuff indoors with out opening every door and window with fans blowing out!!!!!!!!
Nope, doesn't work, I know it's the tiny wax ring but he swears it will do the job. I Just finished putting another small wax ring (no flange) on top of the one he installed and reinstalled the toilet. Now it's a waiting game to see if I was correct.......
Sewer gas smell can also come from a dry trap on the sink or tub, since they're all tapped into the same drain and vent. I'd wait until I smelled it than just go around smelling drains. The offending drain should be REAL easy to find.
First thing I did, only one bathroom and we obviously use it frequently, no dry traps.

For some reason, when I saw this, I thought of our Sherry... must be because it just seems like her sense of humor... and the gal kinda looks like her, blond and all...

Sherry_zps5bafa90d.jpg

I am now haunted. Visualizing Klia dying alone in a silent house after 16 years of loyalty.

Sigh. I think I am done here for awhile.

Packers win! Redskins win! Really good football day. The only thing that could make it better is if Dallas looses.

For some reason, when I saw this, I thought of our Sherry... must be because it just seems like her sense of humor... and the gal kinda looks like her, blond and all...

Sherry_zps5bafa90d.jpg

Well I hope you think the one in front is the one who looks like Sherry :)

Wild horses couldn't drag me away from Gracie or Karma or Moki if they were in their last legs of life.

If you are referring to the fact that I went out for a couple of hours with my daughter, Gracie - it is just simply because the antibiotics knock the dog out for about 4 hours at a stretch and staying indoors next to a puking dog 12-15 hours a day is not easy when a 7 year old child is also present. When we got back, she was still sleeping. But I have stayed up until about midnight with her now, I have her in my lap right now. I think she recognizes my presence, at least for now. It's our personal moment of peace. I also just groomed her.

Wishing all a good Sunday night.

Wild horses couldn't drag me away from Gracie or Karma or Moki if they were in their last legs of life.

If you are referring to the fact that I went out for a couple of hours with my daughter, Gracie - it is just simply because the antibiotics knock the dog out for about 4 hours at a stretch and staying indoors next to a puking dog 12-15 hours a day is not easy when a 7 year old child is also present. When we got back, she was still sleeping. But I have stayed up until about midnight with her now, I have her in my lap right now. I think she recognizes my presence, at least for now. It's our personal moment of peace. I also just groomed her.

Wishing all a good Sunday night.
You don't have to explain it. Everyone does the best they can in these situations.

First thing I did, only one bathroom and we obviously use it frequently, no dry traps.

What are the age of the pipes and what kind are they?

Given the polar vortex last winter it is possible that the water in one of the traps froze and made a hairline crack in one of the pipes. When the weather warms up the crack opens and you smell the sewer. If this crack is in the toilet trap under the floor boards it is going to be very hard to spot.

Given the polar vortex last winter it is possible that the water in one of the traps froze and made a hairline crack in one of the pipes. When the weather warms up the crack opens and you smell the sewer. If this crack is in the toilet trap under the floor boards it is going to be very hard to spot.
The pipes are relatively new and have been checked plus sealed by the maintenance guy with Flex seal just in case. No cracks found (yes one of the first things I thought of). BTW, still no smell, pretty much what I first thought, the replacement wax ring was too small.
Many people still use the old standard, small, thin wax rings with new toilets, the modern base design usually means those old wax rings will not completely fill the void allowing gas and water to escape. When I pulled the toilet to add the other ring the floor was wet under the toilet, very telling. I also knew this would be the case when the maintenance man reinstalled the toilet earlier and he didn't have to push the toilet down, flattening out the wax to fill the void.
Hint, use the thick wax rings, not the old thin ones unless the old thin ones are doubled.

Last edited:

The pipes are relatively new and have been checked plus sealed by the maintenance guy with Flex seal just in case. No cracks found (yes one of the first things I thought of). BTW, still no smell, pretty much what I first thought, the replacement wax ring was too small.
Many people still use the old standard, small, thin wax rings with new toilets, the modern base design usually means those old wax rings will not completely fill the void allowing gas and water to escape. When I pulled the toilet to add the other ring the floor was wet under the toilet, very telling. I also knew this would be the case when the maintenance man reinstalled the toilet earlier and he didn't have to push the toilet down, flattening out the wax to fill the void.
Hint, use he thick wax rings, not the old thin ones unless the old thin ones are doubled.

:thup:

Ah, yes, if you found water on the floor then the wax ring was not making a proper seal. I have used two of the thinner rings myself when I was installing a toilet because I could not get hold of the thicker ones. Not worth skimping on a job like that one in my opinion.

Hint, use he thick wax rings, not the old thin ones unless the old thin ones are doubled.

Ah, yes, if you found water on the floor then the wax ring was not making a proper seal. I have used two of the thinner rings myself when I was installing a toilet because I could not get hold of the thicker ones. Not worth skimping on a job like that one in my opinion.
Gonna have to get me one of those new fangled toilets. The way we do it here is to dig a new hole, slide the outhouse over it and use the dirt to fill up the old hole. And lime,used regularly covers up the smell. Problem solved.:dig:

Gonna have to get me one of those new fangled toilets. The way we do it here is to dig a new hole, slide the outhouse over it and use the dirt to fill up the old hole. And lime,used regularly covers up the smell. Problem solved.:dig:

BTDT!

Not so sure Mrs Te is going to be happy with that arrangement. ;)

But it does remind me of an encounter in an old abandoned one on a farm when I was in my teens after a long sunset ride with the farmer's daughter. It was the only available "privacy" to be found. :D

Forum List

Back