USMB Coffee Shop IV

Unfortunately this is what we don't have too much of down here in Southern Colorado.

938480da-Sierra-Aspen.jpg

aspens.jpg

flickr-photo-aspen-in-the-fall-with-birch-trees-by-snowpeak.jpg

I was just thinking about that pumpkin carving thing--how much fun that used to be. And no, I can't imagine growing up without having done it at least once. And I have absolutely no desire to do one now. :)

I was also thinking about ChrisL's coming winter and not looking forward to it, though I very much enjoy New Mexico winters. I can remember when I thrilled to the first snow of winter that really stuck, how happy it made me as a kid. And I remember as an adult how beautiful the snows were up on the mountain, and enjoying drinking hot cider and the open fire while watching the inches and sometimes the feet of snow piling up on the deck. The snow up there was powder light--easy to shovel and clear away. And once the snowplows came through leaving just a few inches on the roads, they would melt and the roads would be clear after the sun was out for just a little while. But days on end of dangerous freezing temps--something very rare here--not so enjoyable. Snow is a sometime thing here in the city and usually fairly short lived. And we almost never have ice storms. Even days in which temps stay below freezing for 24 hours are rare. Winter is good here.

Good morning all. Rain yesterday afternoon and again last night--totally unexpected I might add but welcome just the same--temps cooler than forecast--bright blue sunny morning though.

As for Coffee House content, I doubt there has ever been a thread as eclectic as this one over the years. I don't ever want us to feel that it is inappropriate to share our joys and also our worries and our sorrows. Everybody isn't going to be interested in everything--when the guys get their testosterone all riled up and go all machines and technical on us, I just grin and scroll over most of it. And every now and then it gets a bit more provocative than I am comfortable with and I just grin and appreciate that too--even if I have to translate some of it into Latin to make it sound more noble.

We have seen our friends here through a lot of stuff--loss of loved ones and beloved pets. Loss of jobs, life changes, a couple of marriage break ups, lots of aches and pains including life threatening illnesses, and other stressful stuff. And just like in our real life families, sometimes feelings get hurt or we get peeved with this person or that person and we've had a few spats most of which the friendship resumed afterwards. But there have been so many joys, laughs, words of encouragement, and just plain fun too that counterbalances it all. We are seeing a slice of what life is here.

So my counsel is to do as we do with the folks we live with in our real lives. Take what is helpful, enjoy what is beneficial and helpful, enjoy what is enjoyable to you, have fun when you can, accept that everybody doesn't think and feel as you do, and scroll over what you don't like or is uncomfortable or you just can't relate to.

And now a Mama Fox ((hug) to all and I'm getting my second cup of coffee.
Okay and as I said we all have expressed our sympathy more than once but now it is getting too sad around here. I am one who remembers when it was fun posting here and I want that back again. I scroll by a lot that doesn't really interest me but there is a real sad vibe here now and I don't see it ending soon. If I have that opinion, I will post it right along with my sympathy for anyone I see suffering.

For the last month all the high mountains have snow caps on them, thinking about going out today and taking some pictures.

Some pictures of the high plains.

Here the plains meet the foothills.

majorspainbrush4-copy.jpg

Typical high plains country.

high-plains-region.jpg

08B623.jpg

And still further south, once you clear the mountains, you have high desert which is a whole different thing again. But it all has its own beauty. I love the alpine settings with the pines and aspen too. But there is nothing that compares to going out by yourself into the high desert, exiting your vehicle, and just being there for awhile. I can't explain it but it is a spiritual experience--like all of time is compressed into that place.

74 and crystal clear in Foley this morning. The expected high is 80. Our current "project" has rented a house a couple miles away and will be moving out of the "guest cottage" on 11/1. Electric bills will be lower, but who's going to mow the lawn?

The next project, however won't be far behind. Shannon, a kid of friends from South Florida will likely spent the winter. He works at a resort somewhere in Colorado that is shutting down for the winter. He's 22 and can probably swing a mop and tote beer so might just earn part of his keep.

I was just thinking about that pumpkin carving thing--how much fun that used to be. And no, I can't imagine growing up without having done it at least once. And I have absolutely no desire to do one now. :)

I was also thinking about ChrisL's coming winter and not looking forward to it, though I very much enjoy New Mexico winters. I can remember when I thrilled to the first snow of winter that really stuck, how happy it made me as a kid. And I remember as an adult how beautiful the snows were up on the mountain, and enjoying drinking hot cider and the open fire while watching the inches and sometimes the feet of snow piling up on the deck. The snow up there was powder light--easy to shovel and clear away. And once the snowplows came through leaving just a few inches on the roads, they would melt and the roads would be clear after the sun was out for just a little while. But days on end of dangerous freezing temps--something very rare here--not so enjoyable. Snow is a sometime thing here in the city and usually fairly short lived. And we almost never have ice storms. Even days in which temps stay below freezing for 24 hours are rare. Winter is good here.

I do look forward the first snow, and I must say that Christmas would sure be different with no cold weather. It's just that the winters here are SO very long and cold. The snow is gorgeous at first, but then once it gets old, it looks something like this. Not so pretty anymore after a while. Lol.

We had TONS of it last year, and piles that looked like this everywhere. Then you track this stuff and sand into the house, and yuck!!!

DirtySnow.jpg

Ohio is going to have a terrifying winter. I can feel it.

Having lived through the Blizzard of 77 and the deep-freeze of 78 in Ohio, I can imagine that maybe being the case in the coming winter....

We might have a cold winter here too in Southeast Arizona.
The humming birds left early and usually there are some that hang around all winter but not this year. None are around now.
I don't know if that means there are no older ones left that can't or won't leave for Mexico, or if it is going to be a very cold winter here.
They also came in a month earlier this year and left a month earlier this year.
I don't know what this means, if anything at all. :confused-84: :D

The humming birds took off early this year here too and are mostly gone. And it seemed like the geese were moving earlier this fall--you can hear them in the early evenings and early mornings before day break flying overhead.

Good morning all. Rain yesterday afternoon and again last night--totally unexpected I might add but welcome just the same--temps cooler than forecast--bright blue sunny morning though.

As for Coffee House content, I doubt there has ever been a thread as eclectic as this one over the years. I don't ever want us to feel that it is inappropriate to share our joys and also our worries and our sorrows. Everybody isn't going to be interested in everything--when the guys get their testosterone all riled up and go all machines and technical on us, I just grin and scroll over most of it. And every now and then it gets a bit more provocative than I am comfortable with and I just grin and appreciate that too--even if I have to translate some of it into Latin to make it sound more noble.

We have seen our friends here through a lot of stuff--loss of loved ones and beloved pets. Loss of jobs, life changes, a couple of marriage break ups, lots of aches and pains including life threatening illnesses, and other stressful stuff. And just like in our real life families, sometimes feelings get hurt or we get peeved with this person or that person and we've had a few spats most of which the friendship resumed afterwards. But there have been so many joys, laughs, words of encouragement, and just plain fun too that counterbalances it all. We are seeing a slice of what life is here.

So my counsel is to do as we do with the folks we live with in our real lives. Take what is helpful, enjoy what is beneficial and helpful, enjoy what is enjoyable to you, have fun when you can, accept that everybody doesn't think and feel as you do, and scroll over what you don't like or is uncomfortable or you just can't relate to.

And now a Mama Fox ((hug) to all and I'm getting my second cup of coffee.

:thup:

We're going to carve a pumpkin with the little one tomorrow. Last year was her first. She is very much looking forward to it, and she loved eating the baked pumpkin seeds last year.
That's what I call good child rearing :lol:

Were carving Sunday, during the Steelers game. They'll probably lose, so some wine, pumpkins, seeds and knives will make it all better :)

Looks like the date stamp on one of my trail cameras is acting up again. Don't know why it does it but sometimes it doesn't get the date correct. Gremlins in it I suppose.

View attachment 33144 View attachment 33145 View attachment 33146

Checked my two trail cams this morning and these are the critters I found on it. Couple of nice bucks and a pair of coyotes.

I wonder if it is catching the same buck again and again now and then? But they are really good looking. Really unusual to see two coyotes together like that--they are normally such loners. Mates maybe? But then you do hear more than one yipping in the night at times so maybe not so unusual?

View attachment 33144 View attachment 33145 View attachment 33146

Checked my two trail cams this morning and these are the critters I found on it. Couple of nice bucks and a pair of coyotes.

I wonder if it is catching the same buck again and again now and then? But they are really good looking. Really unusual to see two coyotes together like that--they are normally such loners. Mates maybe? But then you do hear more than one yipping in the night at times so maybe not so unusual?

They go both ways Foxfyre.
Coyotes can run alone or are in packs.
Out here where I live, we have 3 fairly large packs of 10 to 15 that are running together.

Here on my farm you sometimes see only one coyote and then you see them in packs. I've seen as many as 6 coyotes in one pack before.

Forum List

Back