USMB Coffee Shop IV

Snow plow prep package, park assist, 3.73 rear end built in Flint, MI. I checked.
Yeah it's a nice truck. Don't know if I'll buy THAT one, but surely something very similar. I do really like the wheels on that one though, and the low miles, and the 2011 and later 6.6 diesels have more torque than any other they've ever made. I think that would do the trick as far as pulling a trailer up to Alaska and back, and hopefully a lot of other places as well.

But do you really want to pull a trailer? I wouldn't want all the hassle. If I was driving to Alaska I would want to be able to take the interesting little side road or check out something interesting along the way that might not be so easy to do with a trailer in tow or that you have to find a safe place to park it and all. But that's just me.
I'll let you know how my Dodge Ram does hauling a trailer South. I've got a nice 3/4 ton Dodge Ram, completely dressed out for heavy hauling.
As far as side trips, Foxy, I can always disconnect and make a short trip, if I want. Usually, I'm pretty goal-oriented and just want to get where I'm going. Especially since just the trip through Canada can take 2-3 days!

I've always wanted to get one of those huge campers and travel around the country. Maybe some day when I retire and don't have to work anymore. :D

I've always imagined driving one of those to be a hassle. :dunno:

Snow plow prep package, park assist, 3.73 rear end built in Flint, MI. I checked.
Yeah it's a nice truck. Don't know if I'll buy THAT one, but surely something very similar. I do really like the wheels on that one though, and the low miles, and the 2011 and later 6.6 diesels have more torque than any other they've ever made. I think that would do the trick as far as pulling a trailer up to Alaska and back, and hopefully a lot of other places as well.

But do you really want to pull a trailer? I wouldn't want all the hassle. If I was driving to Alaska I would want to be able to take the interesting little side road or check out something interesting along the way that might not be so easy to do with a trailer in tow or that you have to find a safe place to park it and all. But that's just me.
I'll let you know how my Dodge Ram does hauling a trailer South. I've got a nice 3/4 ton Dodge Ram, completely dressed out for heavy hauling.
As far as side trips, Foxy, I can always disconnect and make a short trip, if I want. Usually, I'm pretty goal-oriented and just want to get where I'm going. Especially since just the trip through Canada can take 2-3 days!

I've always wanted to get one of those huge campers and travel around the country. Maybe some day when I retire and don't have to work anymore. :D

Maybe, but it would still be cool to travel around in one. They have some really nice ones. Probably really hard to park though! Lol! I might have to practice.

Its Alaska, everything is a side road...

But to get there from Wisconsin, you would go through a lot of U.S. states plus the whole length of British Columbia and the Yukon Territory or a whole lot of Canada.
Yeah I'd drive clear over through Montana and visit my sister and her family there on the way, then through Idaho and visit my niece, then probably clear over to Seattle to head up the ALCAN. Got a cousin in Seattle too.

Come pick me up. I could use an escape and was just thinking Alaska. Watched Buying Alaska today while folding clothes. The place outside Denali National Park (sp?) Was gorgeous.
I did too... :lol:

They had kind of a "Buying Alaska" marathon on today. I watched them all, then looked at houses in Alaska on Zillow.
Find any you liked?

Maybe, but it would still be cool to travel around in one. They have some really nice ones. Probably really hard to park though! Lol! I might have to practice.

I used to think so too. But after taking a trip in one with my sister and her hubby, and finding out how much work was involved not only doing the essential maintenance and set up on the RV and whatever but the cooking, cleanup, housekeeping, trash handling, etc. under less than ideal conditions plus dealing with less than comfortable toilet and showering facilities, it just didn't feel like a vacation or really fun adventure for me. I would rather have unlimited mobility at all times in a comfy vehicle and enjoy the comforts of a motel and restaurant and let somebody else do all that work. :)

I used to think so too. But after taking a trip in one with my sister and her hubby, and finding out how much work was involved not only doing the essential maintenance and set up on the RV and whatever but the cooking, cleanup, housekeeping, trash handling, etc. under less than ideal conditions plus dealing with less than comfortable toilet and showering facilities, it just didn't feel like a vacation or really fun adventure for me. I would rather have unlimited mobility at all times in a comfy vehicle and enjoy the comforts of a motel and restaurant and let somebody else do all that work. :)

I've been camping in them before. One time I borrowed one that my boss owned, but it was pretty small. I rather enjoyed it and thought it was fun. I'm used to camping though. :)

Did you ever type your own address into your browser. It brings it up on Zillow and it is almost scary how much information is there.
Hmmm... close but no cookie when I type in my address. But you have to remember, I am in the sticks. They have more information about Alaska than they do parts of back woods Wisconsin. I guess they just don't care much about us.
I used to live in Soldotna and Sterling. Ever make it to any of those places?

I thought Soldoltna was in Alaska? Don't recall a Soldoltna WV. I do recall Sterling but don't remember whether I just saw it on the map or if we actually went there. We did a lot of exploring in southeastern West Virginia, but actually spent more weekends exploring Virginia along and near the Blue Ridge Parkway. I was helping with a research project on Appalachia and a lot of our explorations in WV were in regard to that. But we visited a lot of WV's outstanding state parks too, rode the Cass Scenic Railroad several times (I was doing an article on that), visited small cavern that rivaled our own Carlsbad Caverns for beauty but not size and did some guided spelunking tours in undeveloped caves which was fun.
Oops.

I thought you were talking about Alaska.

LOL. No. The only one of us who lives in Alaska is GW and he's making some pretty conclusive posts that he intends to return to the lower 48 within the next year. There is a a Sterling WV though. Probably almost every state has a Sterling.
Returning to the Lesser 48 for a brief sabbatical in order to be around while my granddaughters achieve their majorities. Not really liking the idea, but their papa decided to become Special Forces and make a career of it. I will return to my beloved Alaska.

On the subject of pie, why is it that most pies seem to be made with dry, unappealing crusts? Just a little sweetening added to a crust can make worlds of difference! When those of you who make your own pies, do so, do you sweeten your crust at all?

Ringel said something about pie being just a vehicle for whipped cream. I disagree. I can love pie without whipped cream, but too often the crust is little more than a vehicle for whipped cream. Without whipped cream I'll leave the crust edges and just eat the filling part of the pie. :)
The best, I mean very best, pie crust is made with lard, flour, water, and a pinch of salt. Unfortunately, lard has gotten a bad rap and too many people are using Crisco instead.

If you travel much in places where comfy accommodations are not readily available, and the only alternative is a cold, damp tent, you'd appreciate an RV. I guarantee!

I've been camping in them before. One time I borrowed one that my boss owned, but it was pretty small. I rather enjoyed it and thought it was fun. I'm used to camping though. :)

Oh I'm not knocking it, and I enjoy camping too. Have done a ton of it over the years. But at some point, at least for me, the more pleasurable comforts start looking real good. :)

On the subject of pie, why is it that most pies seem to be made with dry, unappealing crusts? Just a little sweetening added to a crust can make worlds of difference! When those of you who make your own pies, do so, do you sweeten your crust at all?

Ringel said something about pie being just a vehicle for whipped cream. I disagree. I can love pie without whipped cream, but too often the crust is little more than a vehicle for whipped cream. Without whipped cream I'll leave the crust edges and just eat the filling part of the pie. :)
The best, I mean very best, pie crust is made with lard, flour, water, and a pinch of salt. Unfortunately, lard has gotten a bad rap and too many people are using Crisco instead.

Do people really eat enough pie that lard is an issue? I agree it makes a great pie crust. You can make a decent one with Crisco too but the handling has to be a lot more careful.

If you travel much in places where comfy accommodations are not readily available, and the only alternative is a cold, damp tent, you'd appreciate an RV. I guarantee!

I've been tent camping quite a few times. Lol! The RV is nice. There is a bath and a shower. Although not ideal, it beats those camp site bathrooms! :cheeky-smiley-018:

I have never had any desire to sky dive or go running off a 5000 ft high cliff with nothing but a harness and hang glider to break my fall. Our daughter did sky dive once and said it was exhilarating. I've noticed however that she only did it once and has never suggested she might want to do that again. :)

I am not afraid of heights in general--I have no problem going up on the tram or on a ferris wheel or flying in an airplane. But I can't handle high bridges. Driving across them, okay. But walking out on one and looking out over the rail--I feel for all the world like a powerful force is pulling me over the rail into oblivion. I don't know any other way to describe it, but it is extremely uncomfortable and frightening. So I just don't do it.

I have acute acrophobia--- can't even go more that two steps up a ladder --- but neither airplanes nor bridges bother me. Ferris wheels are out of the question though. I think it's a matter of whether or not a structure that prevents falling is around you. For me anyway.

When the acrophobia kicks in it's like a cold chill running up the backs of my legs, breath gets short and everything except getting to lower ground becomes secondary.
I suffer from acrophobia, too. With my job, that's not always helpful. But as someone previously mentioned, you "walk through the fear". I have to be especially careful on ladders because I get dizzy sometimes.

We've always camped with just a tent--one that you set up on the ground and then take down and pack up and stick in the back of the pickup or in the car trunk or whatever. And I enjoyed that. But yeah, if we HAD to use our own sleeping stuff, I would want the RV.

When my brother in law was in town, he was walking around pretty much all night with back and sciatica pain. I look online for remedies, I felt so sorry for him. Here are a couple of stretches and bed setups so you can at least sleep. Some of this is kind of pricey but how much would you pay to get some sleep?

Back wedges:

Bed Wedges Back Wedge Pillows Relax The Back

Yoga:

7 Poses to Soothe Sciatica Yoga International

I had some sciatica recently and do the stretches religiously. See what you think.
I was thinking a little stretching with some acupressure.

medieval-torture-rack-21295995.jpg

Hope you feel better soon!

You would probably prefer apple crisp. It's basically just the inside of apple pie with a crumble topping made of brown sugar, oats, flour, and butter. :) It's delicious and no crust!

I've been tent camping quite a few times. Lol! The RV is nice. There is a bath and a shower. Although not ideal, it beats those camp site bathrooms! :cheeky-smiley-018:
You camp sites had bathrooms??!!

'Specially when you are camping in a place so remote the only way out is if your pilot comes to get you, or you are up to hiking miles and miles through some of the toughest terrain on Earth. That's kind of what you get when you guide big game hunters in Alaska, though. Base camp is cushy.

You camp sites had bathrooms??!!

Well, most of them did, yes. There were a few times when I've camped with friends at non-designated camping sites with no facilities. :D

'Specially when you are camping in a place so remote the only way out is if your pilot comes to get you, or you are up to hiking miles and miles through some of the toughest terrain on Earth. That's kind of what you get when you guide big game hunters in Alaska, though. Base camp is cushy.

Lol! I've never camped like that before. I'm talking about just regular camping at camp sites. I've never been to Alaska, but I had a friend who lived their for a short time while her husband was in the military, and she said it was just breathtaking. :)

Forum List

Back