USMB Coffee Shop IV

There used to be a Shamrock Restaurant in White Sulphur close to the motel apartment where we lived that summer. It had decent food. Is it no longer there?

I haven't seen anything by that name or in a Google search. There is a "Cook's" a few miles out toward Lewisburg but it doesn't look like much and I didn't go in. Other than that it's a bunch of Wendy's/McDonald's chains, a couple of bars, cheap pizza parlors and a Quiznos that's closed. The town looks pretty depressed.

There was no fast food of any kind when we were there but the town itself was pretty depressed 30 years ago too. We did drive over to eat at Shoneys at Lewisburg often--good food then and their strawberry pie was awesome. We couldn't afford the restaurant in the Greenbrier.

I just typed Shamrock Café into my Bing browser and came up with Shamrock Restaurant at 213 Old White Trail, Sulphur Springs, WV 24986. Still under the same management it was in the 1980's. That used to be on the main highway through town but that may have all changed since they completed the interstate through there. The interstate wasn't even under construction yet when we were there.

What a great tip. I haven't eaten yet. I shall advise Señor GPS and report back. :salute:

The Epilogue: my GPS had no listing for the Shamrock. It was able to find Old White Trail but that road turns out to be a tiny residential street that eventually dwindles to one land and then gravel and circles back to a larger residential street. No restaurants or businesses of any kind on it, doesn't look like there ever were. So I went back to Subway. Also couldn't find a listing on Google.

FWIW the main road through town is US 60 which in that area is just called Main Street.

Thanks for the tip though Foxy -- if it had worked it woulda been special.

Well that is weird. I googled up this link:
Shamrock Restaurant Inc. in White Sulphur Springs WV - Bizapedia Profile

. . . but when I googled up the best restaurants in White Sulphus Springs, I got a rather long list but the Shamrock wasn't on it. The corporation must still be intact but the restaurant not in operation probably.
Best White Sulphur Springs Restaurants - West Virginia

Ah I see what it is. Your link says "the registered agent for this company is... at 213 Old White Trail -- that's the guy's home. Now it makes sense because homes are all that are on that road. And it's so small it could never have been a major thoroughfare. So wherever it was it's gone now. :(

I found the same list when I got here; I've seen them all -- they're either cheap junk food or pretentiously expensive ones here in the Greenbrier. Nothing in between.

No wonder nobody around here has teeth... :scared1:

I have never had any desire to sky dive or go running off a 5000 ft high cliff with nothing but a harness and hang glider to break my fall. Our daughter did sky dive once and said it was exhilarating. I've noticed however that she only did it once and has never suggested she might want to do that again. :)

I am not afraid of heights in general--I have no problem going up on the tram or on a ferris wheel or flying in an airplane. But I can't handle high bridges. Driving across them, okay. But walking out on one and looking out over the rail--I feel for all the world like a powerful force is pulling me over the rail into oblivion. I don't know any other way to describe it, but it is extremely uncomfortable and frightening. So I just don't do it.

I have acute acrophobia--- can't even go more that two steps up a ladder --- but neither airplanes nor bridges bother me. Ferris wheels are out of the question though. I think it's a matter of whether or not a structure that prevents falling is around you. For me anyway.

When the acrophobia kicks in it's like a cold chill running up the backs of my legs, breath gets short and everything except getting to lower ground becomes secondary.
Then you wouldn't like this, used to do it all the time except I freestyled, no ropes or safety gear. Actually did this climb eons ago when I was young and invincible...... It was rather easy..... comparatively.......

Thanks. Amazingly enough I don't need that video to know I wouldn't like that.

Anyway, I figure if you climb a rock, the only next thing you can do is climb back down. I save time and skip the middleman. :D

I have never had any desire to sky dive or go running off a 5000 ft high cliff with nothing but a harness and hang glider to break my fall. Our daughter did sky dive once and said it was exhilarating. I've noticed however that she only did it once and has never suggested she might want to do that again. :)

I am not afraid of heights in general--I have no problem going up on the tram or on a ferris wheel or flying in an airplane. But I can't handle high bridges. Driving across them, okay. But walking out on one and looking out over the rail--I feel for all the world like a powerful force is pulling me over the rail into oblivion. I don't know any other way to describe it, but it is extremely uncomfortable and frightening. So I just don't do it.

I did one parachute jump from a plane at two and a half thousand feet. I found myself hanging in the sky looking down at the patchwork of fields far below, and at first I did not seem to be moving. Then things on the ground started getting bigger, and I seemed to be going faster, finally the ground rushed up and hit me in the feet.
Like your daughter I have not felt moved to do another jump but I am quite glad I did that one.

I have acute acrophobia--- can't even go more that two steps up a ladder --- but neither airplanes nor bridges bother me. Ferris wheels are out of the question though. I think it's a matter of whether or not a structure that prevents falling is around you. For me anyway.

When the acrophobia kicks in it's like a cold chill running up the backs of my legs, breath gets short and everything except getting to lower ground becomes secondary.
Then you wouldn't like this, used to do it all the time except I freestyled, no ropes or safety gear. Actually did this climb eons ago when I was young and invincible...... It was rather easy..... comparatively.......

Thanks. Amazingly enough I don't need that video to know I wouldn't like that.

Anyway, I figure if you climb a rock, the only next thing you can do is climb back down. I save time and skip the middleman. :D

Ahhhh, not necessarily. In canyons the back side of the rocks, in North Cheyenne Canyon specifically, are almost always the sloping sides of the canyon walls, usually very easy to "walk" down so we climb the face or side of the rock outcropping then walk back down around the outcropping. Yeah, sometimes we would have to climb back down, often we took a different, easier route.

10416568_10152735904593552_7086428495257212575_n.jpg

This gave me a giggle. :)

A couple of hours ago I reached down to raise the garage door. Have to do it by hand from the very bottom, no handle and the door opener doesn't work. As I pulled it up it suddenly felt like my left pant leg had tape on the inside and all my leg hairs were being pulled out, realized a second later it was like being stabbed with a hundred needles and it wasn't stopping, then realized my left hip and left side of my lower back hurt....... badly. Still sore, hurts to stand up, walk and sit down and my left thigh still feels "tingly".
Have an appointment with my chiro tomorrow........

A couple of hours ago I reached down to raise the garage door. Have to do it by hand from the very bottom, no handle and the door opener doesn't work. As I pulled it up it suddenly felt like my left pant leg had tape on the inside and all my leg hairs were being pulled out, realized a second later it was like being stabbed with a hundred needles and it wasn't stopping, then realized my left hip and left side of my lower back hurt....... badly. Still sore, hurts to stand up, walk and sit down and my left thigh still feels "tingly".
Hamstring maybe? We're your knees bent?

Hope you have something there to ease that pain tonight. Nothing worse than being up at night with that kind of pain.

Feel better Ringel...

Hamstring maybe? We're your knees bent?
No, I already have problems in my neck, mid back and low back. It's appears to be related to my low back, feels like sciatica, burning and tingling in the outside of my thigh which has been numb for 20 years after an incident where I was awakened at night with those muscles cramping and visually rippling on their own. It was quite painful at the time. It's gotta be disc related.

Hope you have something there to ease that pain tonight. Nothing worse than being up at night with that kind of pain.

Feel better Ringel...
Took some Tramadol, still hurts and tingles with occasional shooting pain but not as bad besides with the Tramadol I don't care that it hurts........ :eusa_whistle:
:lol:

Feel better Ringel...
Took some Tramadol, still hurts and tingles with occasional shooting pain but not as bad besides with the Tramadol I don't care that it hurts........ :eusa_whistle:
:lol:
Good. Don't take too many but enough.

Special vibes for Ringel tonight and for a successful chiro visit tomorrow.

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, and Sheila's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Hombre,
Pix,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj and Nana,
Sheila's sore foot post surgery healing,
Complete healing for Mrs. Ringel and the Ringels in difficult transition,
Pogo's aunt,
Ollie and Mrs. O for a complete recovery,
GW's student/friend Sean, his injured brother, and their family,
Tresha and hubby,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
Safe travels for those traveling,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Oddball, Sunshine, Jughead, Sheila, and Becki and all the others who have been MIA lately. We hope everyone is okay.

img_0322.png

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Sounds like sciatica. Sciatic nerve pinched by a blown or slipped disk. Used to be a fairly common occurrence for me. Been quite a while though, now.
I've been suffering from sciatica pain for over three months now. The physical therapy has done little ease it. Friday when I was at PT she put a "pain patch" on me that had batteries in it, for crying out loud. It helped though, so tomorrow she's going to put another one on. Yesterday I worked out in the yard for the first time in two months, and it actually wasn't too bad. Back hurt yeah, but it wasn't as bad as it's been. Didn't hurt much later after I knocked off and went in the house either. I was hoping that maybe, just maybe, I've turned some kind of corner and it's going to get better. Wishful thinking probably, because it feels like it's usual, nasty, painful self again this morning.

Time to go make some fresh ground coffee.

Healing juju your way.

Healing juju your way.

It's because he posted that rock climbing video yesterday :nono:

Forum List

Back