USMB Coffee Shop IV

I used to raft the New River, I set up trips twice a year for the employees at the the hospital I worked at.
Bridge Day was just a couple of weeks ago. When I was skydiving, some of the folks at the jump center went down to base jump the bridge.

They all came home.
The end of the rafting trip was at the New River Gorge Bridge, saw some bungee jumpers and base jumpers. The one trip I never got to do was the Gauley River, the jump off point was in a class 3 rapid and there was a class 5 rapid on the route, basically a waterfall. Always wanted to do that.
Have you ever come north to Pennsylvania and the Youghiogheny River?
Nope, another one I never was able to get to. What happened is I became involved in reenacting and living history and everything else went by the wayside, before I knew it it was 25 years later and I was starting to have physical issues. Funny how fast time goes.
I was an avid skydiver twenty years ago. I had my D class license and over 60 minutes of free fall time. I was just about to buy my own canopy when my job sent me to, well, fill in the blank. I spent only 50 nights in my own home from 1991 to 2004 when I quit and became the county building inspector.

After that, I no longer had the yen to jump.

OMG....I don't know how anybody jumps out of a perfectly good plane. I know that I would just die of a heart attack if I ever did that.:ack-1:

On the subject of pie, why is it that most pies seem to be made with dry, unappealing crusts? Just a little sweetening added to a crust can make worlds of difference! When those of you who make your own pies, do so, do you sweeten your crust at all?

Ringel said something about pie being just a vehicle for whipped cream. I disagree. I can love pie without whipped cream, but too often the crust is little more than a vehicle for whipped cream. Without whipped cream I'll leave the crust edges and just eat the filling part of the pie. :)
No, only pumpkin, sweet potato and pecan pies are a vehicle for whipped cream and I like dry, unappealing crusts....... My favorite part of a pie........
Fruit pies require vanilla ice cream or melted cheddar cheese, in or on top of the pie. Uummmm, wonder what it would taste like with Brie.......

Ah ha! You are part of the pie crust problem! :lol:

I didn't, Mertex. I jumped many times. You just walk through the fear.

I don't even have a desire to ever do it, but I'm glad that you were able to do it. Those that have done it claim it is a wonderful experience, I guess I'll never know.
That jumping from the stratesphere makes me think some of these guys just have a death wish. Jeezus.. Craziness.

Bridge Day was just a couple of weeks ago. When I was skydiving, some of the folks at the jump center went down to base jump the bridge.

They all came home.
The end of the rafting trip was at the New River Gorge Bridge, saw some bungee jumpers and base jumpers. The one trip I never got to do was the Gauley River, the jump off point was in a class 3 rapid and there was a class 5 rapid on the route, basically a waterfall. Always wanted to do that.
Nope, another one I never was able to get to. What happened is I became involved in reenacting and living history and everything else went by the wayside, before I knew it it was 25 years later and I was starting to have physical issues. Funny how fast time goes.
I was an avid skydiver twenty years ago. I had my D class license and over 60 minutes of free fall time. I was just about to buy my own canopy when my job sent me to, well, fill in the blank. I spent only 50 nights in my own home from 1991 to 2004 when I quit and became the county building inspector.

OMG....I don't know how anybody jumps out of a perfectly good plane. I know that I would just die of a heart attack if I ever did that.:ack-1:
The worst thing about skydiving is it ruins you for all amusement park rides. It is, in fact, the MOST fun you can have while wearing pants.

Parachutist’s Record Fall: Over 25 Miles in 15 Minutes
ROSWELL, N.M. — A well-known computer scientist parachuted from a balloon near the top of the stratosphere on Friday, falling faster than the speed of sound and breaking the world altitude record set just two years ago.
The jump was made by Alan Eustace, 57, a senior vice president of Google. At dawn he was lifted from an abandoned runway at the airport here by a balloon filled with 35,000 cubic feet of helium.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/25/s...ing-felix-baumgartners-world-record.html?_r=0

Good grief...

The worst thing about skydiving is it ruins you for all amusement park rides. It is, in fact, the MOST fun you can have while wearing pants.

I'll have to take your word for it...........:D

I don't even have a desire to ever do it, but I'm glad that you were able to do it. Those that have done it claim it is a wonderful experience, I guess I'll never know.
That jumping from the stratesphere makes me think some of these guys just have a death wish. Jeezus.. Craziness.

I would do it in a heart beat if given a chance.

I have never had any desire to sky dive or go running off a 5000 ft high cliff with nothing but a harness and hang glider to break my fall. Our daughter did sky dive once and said it was exhilarating. I've noticed however that she only did it once and has never suggested she might want to do that again. :)

I am not afraid of heights in general--I have no problem going up on the tram or on a ferris wheel or flying in an airplane. But I can't handle high bridges. Driving across them, okay. But walking out on one and looking out over the rail--I feel for all the world like a powerful force is pulling me over the rail into oblivion. I don't know any other way to describe it, but it is extremely uncomfortable and frightening. So I just don't do it.

I would do it in a heart beat if given a chance.
He was falling at 822 mph at one point and created a sonic boom. Cray cray.... :lol:

We lived in White Sulphur Springs the summer we were in West Virginia. Hombre was attending photography school and I was doing some freelance writing. The Greenbrier and the adjacent very prestigious medical clinic were the focal point of course. This was back in the 1980's when the $50 green fees at the Greenbrier resort golf course were really astronomical. The golf course extended on both sides of the highway running through town so you had to dodge the golf carts crossing from one side to the other. And considering that those $50 green fees were about the equivalent of $100 green fees now, it was amazing to us how many expensively attired, superbly coiffeured, manicured people were out poking through the grass and bushes along the highway hunting for lost balls. :)

As close as this area is I've rarely ever been though here, other than a ride from Chicago on the famed New River Train (the views from which are awesome) and my trip retrieving the MINI Cooper from Ohio when I bought it. I've already planned at least two more alternate routes for the return trip in the MIINI. Leaves are in full color too. I'm looking forward to the radio telescope trip. :)

But good god, there is absolutely nothing to eat here. I'm gonna have to bring my own food and stove next time. I was lucky to find a Subway yesterday, which is as close to real food as there is.

There used to be a Shamrock Restaurant in White Sulphur close to the motel apartment where we lived that summer. It had decent food. Is it no longer there?

I haven't seen anything by that name or in a Google search. There is a "Cook's" a few miles out toward Lewisburg but it doesn't look like much and I didn't go in. Other than that it's a bunch of Wendy's/McDonald's chains, a couple of bars, cheap pizza parlors and a Quiznos that's closed. The town looks pretty depressed.

There was no fast food of any kind when we were there but the town itself was pretty depressed 30 years ago too. We did drive over to eat at Shoneys at Lewisburg often--good food then and their strawberry pie was awesome. We couldn't afford the restaurant in the Greenbrier.

I just typed Shamrock Café into my Bing browser and came up with Shamrock Restaurant at 213 Old White Trail, Sulphur Springs, WV 24986. Still under the same management it was in the 1980's. That used to be on the main highway through town but that may have all changed since they completed the interstate through there. The interstate wasn't even under construction yet when we were there.

What a great tip. I haven't eaten yet. I shall advise Señor GPS and report back. :salute:

The Epilogue: my GPS had no listing for the Shamrock. It was able to find Old White Trail but that road turns out to be a tiny residential street that eventually dwindles to one land and then gravel and circles back to a larger residential street. No restaurants or businesses of any kind on it, doesn't look like there ever were. So I went back to Subway. Also couldn't find a listing on Google.

FWIW the main road through town is US 60 which in that area is just called Main Street.

Thanks for the tip though Foxy -- if it had worked it woulda been special.

I have never had any desire to sky dive or go running off a 5000 ft high cliff with nothing but a harness and hang glider to break my fall. Our daughter did sky dive once and said it was exhilarating. I've noticed however that she only did it once and has never suggested she might want to do that again. :)

I am not afraid of heights in general--I have no problem going up on the tram or on a ferris wheel or flying in an airplane. But I can't handle high bridges. Driving across them, okay. But walking out on one and looking out over the rail--I feel for all the world like a powerful force is pulling me over the rail into oblivion. I don't know any other way to describe it, but it is extremely uncomfortable and frightening. So I just don't do it.

I have acute acrophobia--- can't even go more that two steps up a ladder --- but neither airplanes nor bridges bother me. Ferris wheels are out of the question though. I think it's a matter of whether or not a structure that prevents falling is around you. For me anyway.

When the acrophobia kicks in it's like a cold chill running up the backs of my legs, breath gets short and everything except getting to lower ground becomes secondary.

As close as this area is I've rarely ever been though here, other than a ride from Chicago on the famed New River Train (the views from which are awesome) and my trip retrieving the MINI Cooper from Ohio when I bought it. I've already planned at least two more alternate routes for the return trip in the MIINI. Leaves are in full color too. I'm looking forward to the radio telescope trip. :)

But good god, there is absolutely nothing to eat here. I'm gonna have to bring my own food and stove next time. I was lucky to find a Subway yesterday, which is as close to real food as there is.

There used to be a Shamrock Restaurant in White Sulphur close to the motel apartment where we lived that summer. It had decent food. Is it no longer there?

I haven't seen anything by that name or in a Google search. There is a "Cook's" a few miles out toward Lewisburg but it doesn't look like much and I didn't go in. Other than that it's a bunch of Wendy's/McDonald's chains, a couple of bars, cheap pizza parlors and a Quiznos that's closed. The town looks pretty depressed.

There was no fast food of any kind when we were there but the town itself was pretty depressed 30 years ago too. We did drive over to eat at Shoneys at Lewisburg often--good food then and their strawberry pie was awesome. We couldn't afford the restaurant in the Greenbrier.

I just typed Shamrock Café into my Bing browser and came up with Shamrock Restaurant at 213 Old White Trail, Sulphur Springs, WV 24986. Still under the same management it was in the 1980's. That used to be on the main highway through town but that may have all changed since they completed the interstate through there. The interstate wasn't even under construction yet when we were there.

What a great tip. I haven't eaten yet. I shall advise Señor GPS and report back. :salute:

The Epilogue: my GPS had no listing for the Shamrock. It was able to find Old White Trail but that road turns out to be a tiny residential street that eventually dwindles to one land and then gravel and circles back to a larger residential street. No restaurants or businesses of any kind on it, doesn't look like there ever were. So I went back to Subway. Also couldn't find a listing on Google.

FWIW the main road through town is US 60 which in that area is just called Main Street.

Thanks for the tip though Foxy -- if it had worked it woulda been special.

Well that is weird. I googled up this link:
Shamrock Restaurant Inc. in White Sulphur Springs WV - Bizapedia Profile

. . . but when I googled up the best restaurants in White Sulphus Springs, I got a rather long list but the Shamrock wasn't on it. The corporation must still be intact but the restaurant not in operation probably.
Best White Sulphur Springs Restaurants - West Virginia

I made it halfway up a fire tower in Pennsylvania when I was in my 20s and decided I had a fear of heights. I froze and couldn't go up or down. My husband had to pry my hands off the railing and practically carry me down from there.

Has anyone ventured into any of the other OP's posted on the board today? It's all garbage. This board is truly sinking into the gutter. It's very difficult to find anyplace that's worth the time to even consider posting in except for the Coffee Shop. I'm going to give the board a short while to get better and if it doesn't I will very soon be leaving USMB for good. 90% of everything that's being posted these days is pretty disgusting. I'm getting very tired of it. It's almost not worth my time to even log on to the site any more. I find very very few OP's that are even worth the time to completely read and consider a response. The Coffee Shop, the only place I consider a good place to hang out in on this board even seems to be taking on a different flavor. Maybe it's me. I don't know but what I do know is that this board isn't very much fun any more and I am strongly considering finding something more productive to do with my time. Am I alone in my observations?
wild isn't it? libs/cons to the max. nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Finally someone agrees with me. :D

Of course being perfect I don't have that problem.........

By the way, can I interest anyone in a bridge? Some ocean front property in Arizona?[/QUOTE]
I have to admit, i venture to the other boards on occasion to relieve myself

On the subject of pie, why is it that most pies seem to be made with dry, unappealing crusts? Just a little sweetening added to a crust can make worlds of difference! When those of you who make your own pies, do so, do you sweeten your crust at all?

Ringel said something about pie being just a vehicle for whipped cream. I disagree. I can love pie without whipped cream, but too often the crust is little more than a vehicle for whipped cream. Without whipped cream I'll leave the crust edges and just eat the filling part of the pie. :)

I'm not sure about putting sugar in the dough because it might ruin the consistency, but some people will sprinkle finishing sugar on the pie crust. That helps to make it taste more sweet. :)

I have acute acrophobia--- can't even go more that two steps up a ladder --- but neither airplanes nor bridges bother me. Ferris wheels are out of the question though. I think it's a matter of whether or not a structure that prevents falling is around you. For me anyway.

When the acrophobia kicks in it's like a cold chill running up the backs of my legs, breath gets short and everything except getting to lower ground becomes secondary.
Then you wouldn't like this, used to do it all the time except I freestyled, no ropes or safety gear. Actually did this climb eons ago when I was young and invincible...... It was rather easy..... comparatively.......

Forum List

Back