USMB Coffee Shop IV

Steelers won ... :gs:

and looked sooo dumb...
blog_steelers_unis2.jpg
Did they really have those uniforms at one time? They looked like a bunch of yellow jackets buzzing around....but they did the job....:)

Actually that's been done before -- this is the Eagles reviving their 1920s antecedents' unis..

6a00d83451bf7069e2017d3da91925970c-pi

What they looked like at the time: Frankford vs. the Dayton Triangles

ChamberlainPlay.jpg

(Frankford is a section in northeast Philadelphia -- where I was born).
You were born in Philly? That explains a lot!!!

:D

Sure does. Especially my disdain for the Cowgirls. :eusa_shifty:

I'm spending most of the week at the Greenbrier, the ornate and heavily-storied structure at White Sulphur Springs, now a resort but once the location of a secret bunker where Congress was to be spirited off to in the event of nuclear war. They give tours of the bunker but I prolly won't bother paying their $34 ransom. Sheesh, for an hour and a half tour? I don't make much more than that. But this area is also inside the National Radio Quiet Zone and not far (60 miles north) is the National Radio Astronomy Observatory. So at the end of the week I'm planning a visit conveniently slotted into my time off. :)

We lived in White Sulphur Springs the summer we were in West Virginia. Hombre was attending photography school and I was doing some freelance writing. The Greenbrier and the adjacent very prestigious medical clinic were the focal point of course. This was back in the 1980's when the $50 green fees at the Greenbrier resort golf course were really astronomical. The golf course extended on both sides of the highway running through town so you had to dodge the golf carts crossing from one side to the other. And considering that those $50 green fees were about the equivalent of $100 green fees now, it was amazing to us how many expensively attired, superbly coiffeured, manicured people were out poking through the grass and bushes along the highway hunting for lost balls. :)

As close as this area is I've rarely ever been though here, other than a ride from Chicago on the famed New River Train (the views from which are awesome) and my trip retrieving the MINI Cooper from Ohio when I bought it. I've already planned at least two more alternate routes for the return trip in the MIINI. Leaves are in full color too. I'm looking forward to the radio telescope trip. :)

But good god, there is absolutely nothing to eat here. I'm gonna have to bring my own food and stove next time. I was lucky to find a Subway yesterday, which is as close to real food as there is.

and looked sooo dumb...
blog_steelers_unis2.jpg
Did they really have those uniforms at one time? They looked like a bunch of yellow jackets buzzing around....but they did the job....:)

Actually that's been done before -- this is the Eagles reviving their 1920s antecedents' unis..

ChamberlainPlay.jpg

Sure does. Especially my disdain for the Cowgirls. :eusa_shifty:
I think you're referring to that athletics team from a southwestern state that is famous for steers and que...... uummmm, salsa......
Never heard of em.

and looked sooo dumb...
blog_steelers_unis2.jpg

ChamberlainPlay.jpg

I'm spending most of the week at the Greenbrier, the ornate and heavily-storied structure at White Sulphur Springs, now a resort but once the location of a secret bunker where Congress was to be spirited off to in the event of nuclear war. They give tours of the bunker but I prolly won't bother paying their $34 ransom. Sheesh, for an hour and a half tour? I don't make much more than that. But this area is also inside the National Radio Quiet Zone and not far (60 miles north) is the National Radio Astronomy Observatory. So at the end of the week I'm planning a visit conveniently slotted into my time off. :)

We lived in White Sulphur Springs the summer we were in West Virginia. Hombre was attending photography school and I was doing some freelance writing. The Greenbrier and the adjacent very prestigious medical clinic were the focal point of course. This was back in the 1980's when the $50 green fees at the Greenbrier resort golf course were really astronomical. The golf course extended on both sides of the highway running through town so you had to dodge the golf carts crossing from one side to the other. And considering that those $50 green fees were about the equivalent of $100 green fees now, it was amazing to us how many expensively attired, superbly coiffeured, manicured people were out poking through the grass and bushes along the highway hunting for lost balls. :)

As close as this area is I've rarely ever been though here, other than a ride from Chicago on the famed New River Train (the views from which are awesome) and my trip retrieving the MINI Cooper from Ohio when I bought it. I've already planned at least two more alternate routes for the return trip in the MIINI. Leaves are in full color too. I'm looking forward to the radio telescope trip. :)

But good god, there is absolutely nothing to eat here. I'm gonna have to bring my own food and stove next time. I was lucky to find a Subway yesterday, which is as close to real food as there is.
I used to raft the New River, I set up trips twice a year for the employees at the the hospital I worked at.

Holy crap did the Packers ever get a butt kickin' last night. I couldn't even finish watching it.

I know, huh? I was thinking of you, as my spirits started sinking when the score was tied at 10. I said, then, this game is going to be a win for the Saints. They did play so well. They were in the pocket, as it is called in music when all musicians are into the same moment at the same time. Magic!

I used to raft the New River, I set up trips twice a year for the employees at the the hospital I worked at.
Bridge Day was just a couple of weeks ago. When I was skydiving, some of the folks at the jump center went down to base jump the bridge.

They all came home.

But to get there from Wisconsin, you would go through a lot of U.S. states plus the whole length of British Columbia and the Yukon Territory or a whole lot of Canada.
Yeah I'd drive clear over through Montana and visit my sister and her family there on the way, then through Idaho and visit my niece, then probably clear over to Seattle to head up the ALCAN. Got a cousin in Seattle too.

Come pick me up. I could use an escape and was just thinking Alaska. Watched Buying Alaska today while folding clothes. The place outside Denali National Park (sp?) Was gorgeous.
I did too... :lol:

They had kind of a "Buying Alaska" marathon on today. I watched them all, then looked at houses in Alaska on Zillow.

Did you ever type your own address into your browser. It brings it up on Zillow and it is almost scary how much information is there.
Hmmm... close but no cookie when I type in my address. But you have to remember, I am in the sticks. They have more information about Alaska than they do parts of back woods Wisconsin. I guess they just don't care much about us.
I used to live in Soldotna and Sterling. Ever make it to any of those places?

Bridge Day was just a couple of weeks ago. When I was skydiving, some of the folks at the jump center went down to base jump the bridge.

They all came home.
The end of the rafting trip was at the New River Gorge Bridge, saw some bungee jumpers and base jumpers. The one trip I never got to do was the Gauley River, the jump off point was in a class 3 rapid and there was a class 5 rapid on the route, basically a waterfall. Always wanted to do that.

They all came home.
The end of the rafting trip was at the New River Gorge Bridge, saw some bungee jumpers and base jumpers. The one trip I never got to do was the Gauley River, the jump off point was in a class 3 rapid and there was a class 5 rapid on the route, basically a waterfall. Always wanted to do that.
Have you ever come north to Pennsylvania and the Youghiogheny River?

There used to be a Shamrock Restaurant in White Sulphur close to the motel apartment where we lived that summer. It had decent food. Is it no longer there?

They all came home.
Nope, another one I never was able to get to. What happened is I became involved in reenacting and living history and everything else went by the wayside, before I knew it it was 25 years later and I was starting to have physical issues. Funny how fast time goes.

They all came home.
Nope, another one I never was able to get to. What happened is I became involved in reenacting and living history and everything else went by the wayside, before I knew it it was 25 years later and I was starting to have physical issues. Funny how fast time goes.
I was an avid skydiver twenty years ago. I had my D class license and over 60 minutes of free fall time. I was just about to buy my own canopy when my job sent me to, well, fill in the blank. I spent only 50 nights in my own home from 1991 to 2004 when I quit and became the county building inspector.

After that, I no longer had the yen to jump.

There used to be a Shamrock Restaurant in White Sulphur close to the motel apartment where we lived that summer. It had decent food. Is it no longer there?

I haven't seen anything by that name or in a Google search. There is a "Cook's" a few miles out toward Lewisburg but it doesn't look like much and I didn't go in. Other than that it's a bunch of Wendy's/McDonald's chains, a couple of bars, cheap pizza parlors and a Quiznos that's closed. The town looks pretty depressed.

Well... Sunday... what to do with myself... :eusa_think:
Buy a bar. You will always have something to do It could be washing beer glasses, painting walls or mopping up barf, but there's always something to occupy your time.
Been there, done that, bro. I bartended for years, and once managed a restaurant/bar/country club. I'm too old and busted up to work those late hours anymore. Dark comes and my body clock is telling me it's time to wind it down and hit the rack.
I hear ya. I open up at 1PM and most nights, I'm out of there by 10. Mondays, it's usually midnight before I chase out the poker players and get the tables put away. Band nights, I'm there til the bitter end too.
Many fights?
A few "verbal altercations" but only one punch thrown since we opened March 1st. We have 2 security guys on Friday and Saturday and when there is a female bartender on week days there is one. Our head of security is a VERY big man. If you get thrown out of Doc's, James may just throw your car out of the lot as well.
I had words with a kid with no ID last night, but he thought better.

They all came home.

I know the town of Gauley Bridge. They gave me a speeding ticket when I passed through there after picking up the MINI.

Yeah I'd drive clear over through Montana and visit my sister and her family there on the way, then through Idaho and visit my niece, then probably clear over to Seattle to head up the ALCAN. Got a cousin in Seattle too.

Come pick me up. I could use an escape and was just thinking Alaska. Watched Buying Alaska today while folding clothes. The place outside Denali National Park (sp?) Was gorgeous.
I did too... :lol:

They had kind of a "Buying Alaska" marathon on today. I watched them all, then looked at houses in Alaska on Zillow.

Did you ever type your own address into your browser. It brings it up on Zillow and it is almost scary how much information is there.
Hmmm... close but no cookie when I type in my address. But you have to remember, I am in the sticks. They have more information about Alaska than they do parts of back woods Wisconsin. I guess they just don't care much about us.
I used to live in Soldotna and Sterling. Ever make it to any of those places?

I thought Soldoltna was in Alaska? Don't recall a Soldoltna WV. I do recall Sterling but don't remember whether I just saw it on the map or if we actually went there. We did a lot of exploring in southeastern West Virginia, but actually spent more weekends exploring Virginia along and near the Blue Ridge Parkway. I was helping with a research project on Appalachia and a lot of our explorations in WV were in regard to that. But we visited a lot of WV's outstanding state parks too, rode the Cass Scenic Railroad several times (I was doing an article on that), visited small cavern that rivaled our own Carlsbad Caverns for beauty but not size and did some guided spelunking tours in undeveloped caves which was fun.

Forum List

Back