USMB Coffee Shop IV

I'm spending most of the week at the Greenbrier, the ornate and heavily-storied structure at White Sulphur Springs, now a resort but once the location of a secret bunker where Congress was to be spirited off to in the event of nuclear war. They give tours of the bunker but I prolly won't bother paying their $34 ransom. Sheesh, for an hour and a half tour? I don't make much more than that. But this area is also inside the National Radio Quiet Zone and not far (60 miles north) is the National Radio Astronomy Observatory. So at the end of the week I'm planning a visit conveniently slotted into my time off. :)

We lived in White Sulphur Springs the summer we were in West Virginia. Hombre was attending photography school and I was doing some freelance writing. The Greenbrier and the adjacent very prestigious medical clinic were the focal point of course. This was back in the 1980's when the $50 green fees at the Greenbrier resort golf course were really astronomical. The golf course extended on both sides of the highway running through town so you had to dodge the golf carts crossing from one side to the other. And considering that those $50 green fees were about the equivalent of $100 green fees now, it was amazing to us how many expensively attired, superbly coiffeured, manicured people were out poking through the grass and bushes along the highway hunting for lost balls. :)

As close as this area is I've rarely ever been though here, other than a ride from Chicago on the famed New River Train (the views from which are awesome) and my trip retrieving the MINI Cooper from Ohio when I bought it. I've already planned at least two more alternate routes for the return trip in the MIINI. Leaves are in full color too. I'm looking forward to the radio telescope trip. :)

But good god, there is absolutely nothing to eat here. I'm gonna have to bring my own food and stove next time. I was lucky to find a Subway yesterday, which is as close to real food as there is.

There used to be a Shamrock Restaurant in White Sulphur close to the motel apartment where we lived that summer. It had decent food. Is it no longer there?

I haven't seen anything by that name or in a Google search. There is a "Cook's" a few miles out toward Lewisburg but it doesn't look like much and I didn't go in. Other than that it's a bunch of Wendy's/McDonald's chains, a couple of bars, cheap pizza parlors and a Quiznos that's closed. The town looks pretty depressed.

There was no fast food of any kind when we were there but the town itself was pretty depressed 30 years ago too. We did drive over to eat at Shoneys at Lewisburg often--good food then and their strawberry pie was awesome. We couldn't afford the restaurant in the Greenbrier.

I just typed Shamrock Café into my Bing browser and came up with Shamrock Restaurant at 213 Old White Trail, Sulphur Springs, WV 24986. Still under the same management it was in the 1980's. That used to be on the main highway through town but that may have all changed since they completed the interstate through there. The interstate wasn't even under construction yet when we were there.

Last edited:
Holy crap did the Packers ever get a butt kickin' last night. I couldn't even finish watching it.

I know, huh? I was thinking of you, as my spirits started sinking when the score was tied at 10. I said, then, this game is going to be a win for the Saints. They did play so well. They were in the pocket, as it is called in music when all musicians are into the same moment at the same time. Magic!
I couldn't believe how many passes the Packers dropped. That's unusual. Had they caught everything Rodgers thrown to them, they might have made a game out of it. As it was, the Saints played better.

Love your new avatar there... sweet cakes... :D

Well... Sunday... what to do with myself... :eusa_think:
Buy a bar. You will always have something to do It could be washing beer glasses, painting walls or mopping up barf, but there's always something to occupy your time.
Been there, done that, bro. I bartended for years, and once managed a restaurant/bar/country club. I'm too old and busted up to work those late hours anymore. Dark comes and my body clock is telling me it's time to wind it down and hit the rack.
I hear ya. I open up at 1PM and most nights, I'm out of there by 10. Mondays, it's usually midnight before I chase out the poker players and get the tables put away. Band nights, I'm there til the bitter end too.
Many fights?
A few "verbal altercations" but only one punch thrown since we opened March 1st. We have 2 security guys on Friday and Saturday and when there is a female bartender on week days there is one. Our head of security is a VERY big man. If you get thrown out of Doc's, James may just throw your car out of the lot as well.
I had words with a kid with no ID last night, but he thought better.
"Back in the day," when I bartended around hick town, WI here, you couldn't go a night without a fight, sometimes more than one, and if they didn't fight in the bar, they'd fight outside. That's what you get when you have a bunch of young farm boys come to town full of spit and vinegar and looking for girls. All it takes is more than one guy interested in the same girl and watch out. Just add liquor and the fights on. I never saw as many fights in bars anywhere else as I've seen in hicktown, WI. Bunch of beer drinkin', German and Irish brawlers, and at one time... I fit right in... I did my share of knockin' a few heads around... :D

Last edited:
Holy crap did the Packers ever get a butt kickin' last night. I couldn't even finish watching it.

I know, huh? I was thinking of you, as my spirits started sinking when the score was tied at 10. I said, then, this game is going to be a win for the Saints. They did play so well. They were in the pocket, as it is called in music when all musicians are into the same moment at the same time. Magic!
I couldn't believe how many passes the Packers dropped. That's unusual. Had they caught everything Rodgers thrown to them, they might have made a game out of it. As it was, the Saints played better.

Well they're on my sh*t list this week. I picked them to win and they helped significantly to knock me out of my No. 1 spot in my pickems group.

Well they're on my sh*t list this week. I picked them to win and they helped significantly to knock me out of my No. 1 spot in my pickems group.
I wish they were more stable. Problem is, seems like they're either on fire or playing like shit.

I'm spending most of the week at the Greenbrier, the ornate and heavily-storied structure at White Sulphur Springs, now a resort but once the location of a secret bunker where Congress was to be spirited off to in the event of nuclear war. They give tours of the bunker but I prolly won't bother paying their $34 ransom. Sheesh, for an hour and a half tour? I don't make much more than that. But this area is also inside the National Radio Quiet Zone and not far (60 miles north) is the National Radio Astronomy Observatory. So at the end of the week I'm planning a visit conveniently slotted into my time off. :)

We lived in White Sulphur Springs the summer we were in West Virginia. Hombre was attending photography school and I was doing some freelance writing. The Greenbrier and the adjacent very prestigious medical clinic were the focal point of course. This was back in the 1980's when the $50 green fees at the Greenbrier resort golf course were really astronomical. The golf course extended on both sides of the highway running through town so you had to dodge the golf carts crossing from one side to the other. And considering that those $50 green fees were about the equivalent of $100 green fees now, it was amazing to us how many expensively attired, superbly coiffeured, manicured people were out poking through the grass and bushes along the highway hunting for lost balls. :)

As close as this area is I've rarely ever been though here, other than a ride from Chicago on the famed New River Train (the views from which are awesome) and my trip retrieving the MINI Cooper from Ohio when I bought it. I've already planned at least two more alternate routes for the return trip in the MIINI. Leaves are in full color too. I'm looking forward to the radio telescope trip. :)

But good god, there is absolutely nothing to eat here. I'm gonna have to bring my own food and stove next time. I was lucky to find a Subway yesterday, which is as close to real food as there is.

There used to be a Shamrock Restaurant in White Sulphur close to the motel apartment where we lived that summer. It had decent food. Is it no longer there?

I haven't seen anything by that name or in a Google search. There is a "Cook's" a few miles out toward Lewisburg but it doesn't look like much and I didn't go in. Other than that it's a bunch of Wendy's/McDonald's chains, a couple of bars, cheap pizza parlors and a Quiznos that's closed. The town looks pretty depressed.

There was no fast food of any kind when we were there but the town itself was pretty depressed 30 years ago too. We did drive over to eat at Shoneys at Lewisburg often--good food then and their strawberry pie was awesome. We couldn't afford the restaurant in the Greenbrier.

I just typed Shamrock Café into my Bing browser and came up with Shamrock Restaurant at 213 Old White Trail, Sulphur Springs, WV 24986. Still under the same management it was in the 1980's. That used to be on the main highway through town but that may have all changed since they completed the interstate through there. The interstate wasn't even under construction yet when we were there.
We used to do Civil War reenactments at Greenbrier State Forest.

Following the news of Cream bassist Jack Bruce's death at the age of 71, countless tributes have poured in for the Rock and Roll Hall of Famer, including remembrances from his former band mates like Eric Clapton. "He was a great musician and composer, and a tremendous inspiration to me," Clapton wrote on his Facebook page. The guitarist's official website also shared a long history of Bruce's career in music.

Related
Cream Bassist Jack Bruce Dead at 71
Ginger Baker's official fan club also delivered a quote from the Cream drummer, "I am very sad to learn of the loss of a fine man, Jack Bruce... My thoughts & wishes are with his family at this difficult time." Bruce also occasionally served as a member of Ringo Starr's All-Starr Band, and the Beatles drummer shared his condolences. "We lost Jack Bruce today an incredible musician writer and a good friend peace and love to all his family,"

Rest in peace, Mr Bruce. Us old goats will miss you.

720x405-105593828.jpg

It's been beautiful in central Florida the last three weeks. Low 80's every day...sunny....low humidity. Life is good.....:)

Come pick me up. I could use an escape and was just thinking Alaska. Watched Buying Alaska today while folding clothes. The place outside Denali National Park (sp?) Was gorgeous.
I did too... :lol:

They had kind of a "Buying Alaska" marathon on today. I watched them all, then looked at houses in Alaska on Zillow.

Did you ever type your own address into your browser. It brings it up on Zillow and it is almost scary how much information is there.
Hmmm... close but no cookie when I type in my address. But you have to remember, I am in the sticks. They have more information about Alaska than they do parts of back woods Wisconsin. I guess they just don't care much about us.
I used to live in Soldotna and Sterling. Ever make it to any of those places?

I thought Soldoltna was in Alaska? Don't recall a Soldoltna WV. I do recall Sterling but don't remember whether I just saw it on the map or if we actually went there. We did a lot of exploring in southeastern West Virginia, but actually spent more weekends exploring Virginia along and near the Blue Ridge Parkway. I was helping with a research project on Appalachia and a lot of our explorations in WV were in regard to that. But we visited a lot of WV's outstanding state parks too, rode the Cass Scenic Railroad several times (I was doing an article on that), visited small cavern that rivaled our own Carlsbad Caverns for beauty but not size and did some guided spelunking tours in undeveloped caves which was fun.
Oops.

I thought you were talking about Alaska.

I did too... :lol:

They had kind of a "Buying Alaska" marathon on today. I watched them all, then looked at houses in Alaska on Zillow.

Did you ever type your own address into your browser. It brings it up on Zillow and it is almost scary how much information is there.
Hmmm... close but no cookie when I type in my address. But you have to remember, I am in the sticks. They have more information about Alaska than they do parts of back woods Wisconsin. I guess they just don't care much about us.
I used to live in Soldotna and Sterling. Ever make it to any of those places?

I thought Soldoltna was in Alaska? Don't recall a Soldoltna WV. I do recall Sterling but don't remember whether I just saw it on the map or if we actually went there. We did a lot of exploring in southeastern West Virginia, but actually spent more weekends exploring Virginia along and near the Blue Ridge Parkway. I was helping with a research project on Appalachia and a lot of our explorations in WV were in regard to that. But we visited a lot of WV's outstanding state parks too, rode the Cass Scenic Railroad several times (I was doing an article on that), visited small cavern that rivaled our own Carlsbad Caverns for beauty but not size and did some guided spelunking tours in undeveloped caves which was fun.
Oops.

I thought you were talking about Alaska.

LOL. No. The only one of us who lives in Alaska is GW and he's making some pretty conclusive posts that he intends to return to the lower 48 within the next year. There is a a Sterling WV though. Probably almost every state has a Sterling.

Morning Everybody
Happy National Pumpkin Day!

happy-halloween-day-to-you-three-pumpkins-graphic-637x358.jpg

Pumpkin Pie for everyone! Enjoy!!!!!!!!!! :)

pumpkin-pie-day.jpg
Gotta have whipped cream....... This is about half of what I put on my pumpkin pie..........

pumpkin-pie-with-whipped-cream.jpg

:D

I actually enjoy the whipped cream more than the pie. :)
Pumpkin pie is just a convenience for whipped cream........ Come to think of it so is strawberry shortcake......... :eusa_drool:

And Hot Chocolate ummmmmmmmmmmm
I love Hot Chocolate with lots of whipped cream on top. :)
Not a big chocolate fan except for the occasional dark chocolate. If I eat chocolate straight up it's usually bitter-sweet.
Now butterscotch on the other hand........ :D
My big weakness is carbs, fat and salt specifically in the form of regular potato chips but they tear up my lower GI tract, would still rather eat a large bowl of jasmine rice with butter, salt, pepper, onion and garlic. Often I will toss in some french cut green beans and sometimes breakfast sausage or hamburger and make a meal out of it.

I love chocolate, but it gives me a pretty bad bellyache if I eat too much of it! :D I guess my belly isn't too thrilled with chocolate.

I missed a bunch!

Pumpkin is the best pie, but just about any fruit pie is also very good. Don't put any cheese on my apple pie though! :cheeky-smiley-018:

I'd have a hard time having to avoid salty food. I eat far too many salty crackers as it is....Cheez Its, Goldfish, Ritz, Saltines, it's my preferred type of snack and I tend to overdo it with them.

Crazy football weekend. At least the Niners didn't get blown out this week, hooray bye! :lol:

On the subject of pie, why is it that most pies seem to be made with dry, unappealing crusts? Just a little sweetening added to a crust can make worlds of difference! When those of you who make your own pies, do so, do you sweeten your crust at all?

Ringel said something about pie being just a vehicle for whipped cream. I disagree. I can love pie without whipped cream, but too often the crust is little more than a vehicle for whipped cream. Without whipped cream I'll leave the crust edges and just eat the filling part of the pie. :)

What a great tip. I haven't eaten yet. I shall advise Señor GPS and report back. :salute:

On the subject of pie, why is it that most pies seem to be made with dry, unappealing crusts? Just a little sweetening added to a crust can make worlds of difference! When those of you who make your own pies, do so, do you sweeten your crust at all?

Ringel said something about pie being just a vehicle for whipped cream. I disagree. I can love pie without whipped cream, but too often the crust is little more than a vehicle for whipped cream. Without whipped cream I'll leave the crust edges and just eat the filling part of the pie. :)
No, only pumpkin, sweet potato and pecan pies are a vehicle for whipped cream and I like dry, unappealing crusts....... My favorite part of a pie........
Fruit pies require vanilla ice cream or melted cheddar cheese, in or on top of the pie. Uummmm, wonder what it would taste like with Brie.......

Morning Everybody
Happy National Pumpkin Day!

happy-halloween-day-to-you-three-pumpkins-graphic-637x358.jpg

Pumpkin Pie for everyone! Enjoy!!!!!!!!!! :)

pumpkin-pie-day.jpg
Gotta have whipped cream....... This is about half of what I put on my pumpkin pie..........

pumpkin-pie-with-whipped-cream.jpg

:D

I actually enjoy the whipped cream more than the pie. :)
Pumpkin pie is just a convenience for whipped cream........ Come to think of it so is strawberry shortcake......... :eusa_drool:

I think my favorite pie is apple, and I don't need anything else with it, and I can even eat it cold. Lol! It is so good!

Key Lime is my favorite, but a slice of apple pie with a slab of well-aged cheddar would not be amiss.

Forum List

Back