USMB Coffee Shop IV

Morning, everyone. This weekend has been a great reprieve from the cold snap, with highs and lows in the 50's. Unfortunately, my hot water is way hotter than it should be, and I've noticed a very small bubbling in my faucet. Time to get under the house and look for the ruptured PVC pipe. :eusa_doh:
Ruptured pipe? Possibly or you could have "received" an air pocket feed from the main feed, if you don't find any pipe problems run all of your faucets for a few minutes and bleed the emergency pressure valve on the hot water heater (without scalding yourself..........)
As for where to look for possible breaks is any exterior hose bib feeds and any other line running close to the outside walls.

Good point, and anything that isn't a cracked pipe will be welcomed news for me. lol

We'll see though. The hot water line was partially frozen last week when the temp got down to 8 degrees. This house was originally a small 14 x 60 ft, 1 bedroom 1 bathroom trailer. My godfather added on to it over the last 15 years before I bought it, and its now a multi-section house, with the only trace of the original trailer being the metal frame under part of the house. He made all the plumbing and electrical very easy to access. One of my renovation projects will be to replace all the lines with PEX.

Before I bought this place from him, I lived by Ozark Lake in a house with PEX lines that froze multiple times during the asinine winter last year with no ruptures. I had an old trailer there that my brother lived in, and after all the steel pipes shattered, we gave it the PEX upgrade and he never had an issue again either. Definitely a fan. :)
I love PEX!!!!
(No Sherry, not Pecs....... :eusa_whistle:)

A simple solution would be to run insulation around the inside of the foundation assuming it's a crawl space and you have fairly easy access.

Somebody clue me in. We have a big screen HD tv in the great room and want to watch our movies in there. How do I get Netflix on it?
Does your laptop have an HDMI port? If so, it's just a matter of running the HDMI cable from laptop to TV and switching the TV input to the right HDMI port.
If it's a "smart TV" it may be possible to get it to connect to the internet/netflix via WIFI.

It is connected to the cable modem via HDMI cable. And presumably it is a 'smart TV' but it requires a 'smart' owner to figure all that out. And I haven't yet. We just got it on Friday.

Morning, everyone. This weekend has been a great reprieve from the cold snap, with highs and lows in the 50's. Unfortunately, my hot water is way hotter than it should be, and I've noticed a very small bubbling in my faucet. Time to get under the house and look for the ruptured PVC pipe. :eusa_doh:
Ruptured pipe? Possibly or you could have "received" an air pocket feed from the main feed, if you don't find any pipe problems run all of your faucets for a few minutes and bleed the emergency pressure valve on the hot water heater (without scalding yourself..........)
As for where to look for possible breaks is any exterior hose bib feeds and any other line running close to the outside walls.

Good point, and anything that isn't a cracked pipe will be welcomed news for me. lol

We'll see though. The hot water line was partially frozen last week when the temp got down to 8 degrees. This house was originally a small 14 x 60 ft, 1 bedroom 1 bathroom trailer. My godfather added on to it over the last 15 years before I bought it, and its now a multi-section house, with the only trace of the original trailer being the metal frame under part of the house. He made all the plumbing and electrical very easy to access. One of my renovation projects will be to replace all the lines with PEX.

Before I bought this place from him, I lived by Ozark Lake in a house with PEX lines that froze multiple times during the asinine winter last year with no ruptures. I had an old trailer there that my brother lived in, and after all the steel pipes shattered, we gave it the PEX upgrade and he never had an issue again either. Definitely a fan. :)
I love PEX!!!!

A simple solution would be to run insulation around the inside of the foundation assuming it's a crawl space and you have fairly easy access.

Oh man, EZ and I use to PM each other some amazing pec pix.:banana:

Somebody clue me in. We have a big screen HD tv in the great room and want to watch our movies in there. How do I get Netflix on it?
Does your laptop have an HDMI port? If so, it's just a matter of running the HDMI cable from laptop to TV and switching the TV input to the right HDMI port.
If it's a "smart TV" it may be possible to get it to connect to the internet/netflix via WIFI.

It is connected to the cable modem via HDMI cable. And presumably it is a 'smart TV' but it requires a 'smart' owner to figure all that out. And I haven't yet. We just got it on Friday.
Hit the Windows key and P at the same time, in the pop up window select the Projector Only or Duplicate. With Projector only it transfers the image to the TV, with Duplicate you see it on both but since your laptop has a higher resolution than the TV it will often downgrade your laptop resolution. To reverse it do it all over and select the Computer option.

I love PEX!!!!

Oh man, EZ and I use to PM each other some amazing pec pix.:banana:
600x325xMoobs.jpg.pagespeed.ic.3gCpyv6yCD.jpg

Hit the Windows key and P at the same time, in the pop up window select the Projector Only or Duplicate. With Projector only it transfers the image to the TV, with Duplicate you see it on both but since your laptop has a higher resolution than the TV it will often downgrade your laptop resolution. To reverse it do it all over and select the Computer option.

Not working on a laptop and Windows + P doesn't give me those options on this PC. I'll try it when I get on my laptop later. During all this I discovered my PC is NOT wifi equipped? Hombre's is and it is a lot older but mine is hardwired into the all purpose modem (cable/phone/internet) on my desk. I'm pretty sure it was at some point but either the card got disconnected or something went wrong. At least the Bluetooth is working so it can communicate with the wireless printer, etc.

Ringel, EZ would not approve.:nono:

I MISS EZ :( I don't really approve either--(even as I giggled a bit)--but I just scroll quickly past what I don't want to see. LOL.

I still miss her terribly, but she's a smart woman...between teaching, a teenage daughter, and a new marriage, she knew that her time was better spent than on an internet message board. Hopefully you'll be seeing less of me someday soon, but I doubt that I'd ever completely leave the board.:)

Not working on a laptop and Windows + P doesn't give me those options on this PC. I'll try it when I get on my laptop later. During all this I discovered my PC is NOT wifi equipped? Hombre's is and it is a lot older but mine is hardwired into the all purpose modem (cable/phone/internet) on my desk. I'm pretty sure it was at some point but either the card got disconnected or something went wrong. At least the Bluetooth is working so it can communicate with the wireless printer, etc.
Window+P only works with Windows 7 and 8, thought you had your laptop connected. :dunno:
What operating system are you running on the computer hooked up to the TV?

Window+P only works with Windows 7 and 8, thought you had your laptop connected. :dunno:

I have Windows 8.1 on this computer (the PC) and Windows 7 on my laptop. The laptop works entirely wirelessly; and, as I said, the PC is hardwired to the internet. Neither are hooked up to the TV. There's no way to stream Netflix through Comcast/Xfinity? You HAVE to use a laptop?

I MISS EZ :( I don't really approve either--(even as I giggled a bit)--but I just scroll quickly past what I don't want to see. LOL.

I still miss her terribly, but she's a smart woman...between teaching, a teenage daughter, and a new marriage, she knew that her time was better spent than on an internet message board. Hopefully you'll be seeing less of me someday soon, but I doubt that I'd ever completely leave the board.:)

Well I won't be hopeful about you being here less. You don't post all that much anymore as it is. And you are one of the few people who are keeping me here. :)

Well I won't be hopeful about you being here less. You don't post all that much anymore as it is. And you are one of the few people who are keeping me here. :)

Thank you, Foxy.:smiliehug:

I have Windows 8.1 on this computer (the PC) and Windows 7 on my laptop. The laptop works entirely wirelessly; and, as I said, the PC is hardwired to the internet. Neither are hooked up to the TV. There's no way to stream Netflix through Comcast/Xfinity? You HAVE to use a laptop?
I misunderstood, thought you had one connected to the TV. The best way is set up any computer next to the TV and connect the computer to the TV with an HDMI cable. Granted the TV and the computer both have to have HDMI ports (outlet/inlet).

HDMIcable.jpg

hdmi_port.jpg

If you use the PC and it has no WiFi you can add WiFi adapter to it:

wifi adapter - Best Buy

As for setting up to view on the TV it should work using the Windows+P keys.
You probably know this but this is what the Windows key looks like:
Windows-Key-722215.jpg

You gotta get a roku box. Unless you have a blue ray dvd player...or a playstation3. Netflix tells you what gadgets you need. I am going to get a roku box myself, eventually.

I misunderstood, thought you had one connected to the TV. The best way is set up any computer next to the TV and connect the computer to the TV with an HDMI cable. Granted the TV and the computer both have to have HDMI ports (outlet/inlet).

HDMIcable.jpg

hdmi_port.jpg

wifi adapter - Best Buy

Windows-Key-722215.jpg

Thanks. And yeah, I know what the windows key is. I just don't know if my laptop will provide those options you mentioned. The PC doesn't. But I'll check it out later. We just spent $45 for a HDMI cable to hook up the new TV. I hate to spend the money for another one to hook the laptop to it. But we'll figure it out. Would like to get Netflix as I have no more room for any more DVDs in the house.

HDMIcable.jpg

hdmi_port.jpg

wifi adapter - Best Buy

Windows-Key-722215.jpg
You can do that instead of a roku box? But what if I have a cable box attached to my tv. Do I hook it up to the cable box or the tv directly?

You gotta get a roku box. Unless you have a blue ray dvd player...or a playstation3. Netflix tells you what gadgets you need. I am going to get a roku box myself, eventually.

Ah, okay. We do have a Wii. Would that work?

Foxfyre...if you have a blue ray dvd player, you are good to go using that as your connector to netflix.

Forum List

Back