USMB Coffee Shop IV

—Just got called in for work from 3pm-7:30pm, and next week Wednesday for a full day.

Woo-hoo! Life has meaning again! :p
I was gonna say, if you've nothing to do I have some sewing that needs to be done.......

Eh, I was never much for sewing. Some of the nurses I work with make scarves and hoods with yarn. It's an alien art to me. Although I do appreciate warm clothing, like a high-quality sweater. Chances are if I tried sewing I'd probably sew my clumsy fingers together on accident. :biggrin:
I need to make a set of 1750s breeches, shirt, a waist coat and a frock coat.

be97c0b870fd633e46c8049889caed21.jpg

Oh hell, I don't have the skill for that. :ack-1::tongue:

I do. I used to make most of my own clothes and quite a few shirts for Hombre and outfits for the kids when they were little. But I haven't had my sewing machine out of its box for at least 25 years now and I'm sure my skills are rusty. But I would have fun making something like that.

—Just got called in for work from 3pm-7:30pm, and next week Wednesday for a full day.

I was gonna say, if you've nothing to do I have some sewing that needs to be done.......

Eh, I was never much for sewing. Some of the nurses I work with make scarves and hoods with yarn. It's an alien art to me. Although I do appreciate warm clothing, like a high-quality sweater. Chances are if I tried sewing I'd probably sew my clumsy fingers together on accident. :biggrin:

Oh hell, I don't have the skill for that. :ack-1::tongue:
Eons ago one of the skills the Navy taught us recruits was basic sewing skills, there's no seamstresses on board ships beides my mom would occasionally make clothes so I saw it done when I was a kid. When I became involved in reenacting we had to make and repair a lot of our stuff or pay very high prices for uniforms and equipment. Heck I even hand sewed a wall tent and an A frame tent, saved me $80 at the time.
The wife made her own Victorian era dresses after being trained by Harriet Engler, a well know seamstress that specializes in historically accurate clothing.
What I'm debating is buying a pre-formed "tricorn" (modern term) hat or dressing out a blank. A wool felt blank will run me around $35 then there's the trim, lining, proper thread, ribbons and cockade/button not to mention steaming the brim to bend it properly into place. Or I can buy one pre-made (wool felt) for $65 or a beaver felt for $200.

This is a blank;

aaf31503876f5b8273d492d1321443f8.jpg

Here's the pre-made wool felt;
(No that's not me.)

th-905.jpg

Here's the one I really want, the beaver felt. A beaver felt blank is $160, the finished hat is $200.......

h-2447.JPG

Left the house early (0630) and drove to Great Lakes to pick up my prescriptions and got there and home again at 1230. Not a good day outside here. It was -10 when I left and it's warmed up to a balmy -1. Weatherman says beginning around 1830 or so we will be getting snow over night into tomorrow morning. He says we might get between 4 to 6 inches. Don't know about the rest of you but I'm already ready for spring!

Having to shovel feet of snow, now THAT's exciting, good exercise too. :lol:

That's why boyfriends were invented.:D

I actually don't mind shoveling the snow. Of course, at times I do, but it's not so bad. I've lived here my whole life, so it's really all I know. :)

I grew up in the Chicago burbs, so I'm no stranger to snow...most people, even back in the 80's, had snow blowers.

Here's my idea of a great way to shovel snow...and it's warm with a cup holder for your coffee.
View attachment 35547

I want to drive one of these snow plows. What a neat job to have :)

Those are indeed awesome.

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Sheila and Hombre's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
Complete healing for Mrs. Ringel and the Ringels in difficult transition,
Ollie and Mrs. O for a complete recovery,
GW's daughter's friend Sachenda,
Ernie's friend and colleague Max and Mrs. Ernie,
Boedicca's mom for healing and relief from pain,
Foxfyre's Aunt Betty,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
Safe travels for those traveling,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Oddball, Sunshine, Jughead, Sheila, and Becki and all the others who have been MIA lately. We hope everyone is okay.

nature-landscapes_widewallpaper_winter-light_16627.jpg

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.
How did you get a picture of my driveway?!

Alaska, at least the real Alaska, is not for the faint-hearted or the lazy. Try cutting and splitting enough wood to heat a small home for the winter.
I'm not faint of heart but I will admit that I can be lazy
When I was growing up, the only source of heat we had for the house was a fireplace, so my brother and I spent all summer splitting firewood. But that was northern CA, not Alaska, so I'm sure the firewood heat went a lot further.
There ain't no way I'd move to Alaska, not even a city in Alaska. I don't like the cold.
I don't know about cold. There are lots of places as cold as, or colder than here. Although, it did finally snap cold, -12F here at my "country" place. It's taken about three hours to get the inside temp up past 50 but it's plenty comfy now. I expect we'll get a great light show out here, no civilization to speak of, and the Northern Lights have been very active the past few days.

Where do you get your patterns, or do you make your own? I made a few costumes from pictures, but making your own patterns can be tricky.

I count myself fortunate. My mother taught us to sew at an early age. If I wanted "new" clothes in a style of my choosing, instead of hand-me-downs, I had to sew my own. My father taught us woodworking and construction basics. My dad was also the talented cook in the house and I still use many of his original recipes. Well, except his chili...that stuff could burn your socks off! Of course, I grew up in a time when families had few modern amusements and we engaged each other, parents and siblings. I was very pleased when my daughter told me that the granddaughters had requested, and received, several board games for Christmas. They found out how much fun those are from the time they spent up here, at the cabin.

Where do you get your patterns, or do you make your own? I made a few costumes from pictures, but making your own patterns can be tricky.
The breeches, waist coat and frock patterns are J.P. Ryan patterns, considered the most accurate for the Colonial era through the Revolution, the shirt pattern is from Kanniks Korner, another distributor of historic patterns.

I'll do the shirt first because it's been awhile since I've done anything this intensive and shirts are relatively easy. The breeches are supposed to be the most difficult, pretty complex, waist coats and frocks really aren't that hard.
The shirt and breeches I'll do in pure linen, the waist coat and frock in melton wool or also in linen.
Cotton was expensive during the colonial era as the Crown barred the American colonies from growing cotton as it would interfere with the Indian Cotton Trade. Most cotton goods were imported, linen and wool were the fabrics of the day.

There are vendors who "somewhat" cater to reenactors, they offer nearly correct period items at reduced prices and even the more correct vendors offer clothing, accoutrements and tenting in cotton because pure linen can be really expensive.

The breeches, waist coat and frock patterns are J.P. Ryan patterns, considered the most accurate for the Colonial era through the Revolution, the shirt pattern is from Kanniks Korner, another distributor of historic patterns.

I'll do the shirt first because it's been awhile since I've done anything this intensive and shirts are relatively easy. The breeches are supposed to be the most difficult, pretty complex, waist coats and frocks really aren't that hard.
The shirt and breeches I'll do in pure linen, the waist coat and frock in melton wool or also in linen.
Cotton was expensive during the colonial era as the Crown barred the American colonies from growing cotton as it would interfere with the Indian Cotton Trade. Most cotton goods were imported, linen and wool were the fabrics of the day.
Have you ever felted wool?

OFFICIAL MESSAGE FROM THE PRESIDENT OF THE BITCH ABOUT THE WEATHER CLUB.

The temperature outside is below zero. It's snowing briskly and the wind is blowing. Because I have cleaned up my language a bit, I will not tell you how I honestly feel about this weather but I will offer up this advice. Throw another log on the fire and sleep close to somebody special tonight. That is all.

Left the house early (0630) and drove to Great Lakes to pick up my prescriptions and got there and home again at 1230. Not a good day outside here. It was -10 when I left and it's warmed up to a balmy -1. Weatherman says beginning around 1830 or so we will be getting snow over night into tomorrow morning. He says we might get between 4 to 6 inches. Don't know about the rest of you but I'm already ready for spring!

It was 82 today here in Flawduh. And yes I know....we suck. :)

It was 82 today here in Flawduh. And yes I know....we suck. :)
You don't suck, but those temps do! That's too dang hot, especially in January.

I don't know about cold. There are lots of places as cold as, or colder than here. Although, it did finally snap cold, -12F here at my "country" place. It's taken about three hours to get the inside temp up past 50 but it's plenty comfy now. I expect we'll get a great light show out here, no civilization to speak of, and the Northern Lights have been very active the past few days.
To me, an inside temp of 50 is pretty darn cold. My human body standard operating temp is 98.6, anything less than ambient temp of 72 and I start feeling cold. I don't even like it when the outside temp goes below 50. During the summer when temps get to the high 90's, it doesn't bother me, sure seems to bother most other people though. My body is naturally pretty lean, not much natural insulation on it so it makes sense (to me).
I'll forgo northern lights for a comfortable 75 degrees in my house during winter.

Forum List

Back