USMB Coffee Shop IV

Just checked the weather--winter storm warning and possibly heavy snow tonight - 50 plus degrees and rain tomorrow - 60 plus degrees and sun on Sunday.

This seemed appropriate both for the weather situation and the jobs we hate discussion:

1920058_10152295646419594_314097001_n.jpg

It's good that the snow doesn't hang around too long. Around here, it is around for months and months. It gets dirty and ugly after being plowed and drive and walked on. I can't wait until it's gone. Lol.
Pretty much what we have here now. Snow lingers only in shady places or where it had been mounded by road equipment of on snow dumps. And everywhere snow still lingers is filthy, filthy, rotten dirty.

Yum is right. That makes me very hungry for some southern-fried catfish, with coleslaw and hushpuppies and a thick slice of onion on the side.

I'd better go grab some breakfast....lol.
Hold on there, sweet cakes... I'm coming with ya, I'm hungry too... I'll even buy...

:thup: Babes, I would go anywhere with you. I'd even have some bloody mary's with our breakfast, and then try to get into my two piece swimsuit for that dip in Lake Tahoe, with you. :D
Uh-oh... I'd be a little embarrassed with my winter spare tire...

I don't mind a spare tire on men as long as I like their truck, Harley and John Deere tractor. :D

Later guys.....time to get ready. Hugs to all great coffee-mates.
Have a Harley, a truck and a tractor. Alas, it's not a John Deer but it is bigger that 007's.
Oh, are we going to go to the "mine is bigger" realm?

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Hombre, and Sheila's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
GW's daughter's friend Sachendra,
Ernie's friend and colleague Max,
Boedicca's mom for healing and relief from pain,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie and Colonel,
Save and Mrs. L in adversity,
Chris in transition,
Those in the dangerous cold zones,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
Safe travels for those traveling,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Oddball, Sunshine, Jughead, Sheila, and Becki and all the others who have been MIA lately. We hope everyone is okay.

mica-lamp-company-sb40-storybook-tavern-outdoor-pendant-rust-powdercoat-.jpg

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Woke up to another bright sunny morning, but again, almost TWENTY BELOW. I have run out of ways to describe my disgust with this bitter cold. My furnace runs practically non stop, and the new mega sized, twin tank, whole house humidifier I bought also runs constantly on high and needs filling about every 18 hours. I look at a chill map and yup, it's WI that's right under this VORTEX or whatever the hell it is, just like it has a bulls eye on it. We are the coldest place in the nation yet again, including ALASKA. I'm tellin' ya, I can't take this anymore. Changes will be made. I believe vacating the state for Jan and Feb, and if temps like this remain, Mar too, would do wonders for me. I feel as though I'm under house arrest. To look longingly out the windows wishing I could go outside and be active doing something but can't because of the dangerous cold just irritates me to no end. I am questioning WHY I came back here. I know all about living near family and ancestors, but right now, that isn't rising to the level of making a difference to me.

I've had it.

Last edited:
I'm with 007 - tired of all the cold weather. I woke up to -22 this morning. The only positive thing about it is that it makes the hot coffee taste so much better.

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Hombre, and Sheila's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
GW's daughter's friend Sachendra,
Ernie's friend and colleague Max,
Boedicca's mom for healing and relief from pain,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie and Colonel,
Save and Mrs. L in adversity,
Chris in transition,
Those in the dangerous cold zones,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
Safe travels for those traveling,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Oddball, Sunshine, Jughead, Sheila, and Becki and all the others who have been MIA lately. We hope everyone is okay.

mica-lamp-company-sb40-storybook-tavern-outdoor-pendant-rust-powdercoat-.jpg

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Oh, thanks sweetie for including me in there. :)

Just had a couple of young guys come by, paying them $20 to shovel the drive, sidewalks and clean off the vehicles, one less thing I have to do. :thup:

Good deal. And you helped others learn the truth about work and what it takes to make a buck. Ha!

I did love working from home though. I have had mostly get out and go to work jobs but have had sideline extra curricular jobs working from home most of my working life. The last years before we retired, Hombre and I ran our own business out of our home. We were the established people in our area though and would get the lion's share of available work. We only closed the biz when the economy got so bad and there just wasn't enough work to go around. Others needed what available work there was to feed their families and we were both tired and ready to hang it up so we did. But I loved, loved, LOVED being my own boss and working from home.

Honestly, I can't stand it anymore. My job now just consists of typing and editing medical reports. It's basically typing for 7-8 hours a day. Of course, I stop to look things up like new meds I've never heard of, etc, and occasionally get the interesting story, but overall it's boring me to death and I've been having a hard time staying motivated. I need a change. :)

For those of us who love people and who love making sales. being in sales is very energizing. :thup: The people make it that way.

Do you realize that if I worked for AFLAK as an independent contractor in sales, I could make almost $70,000 in just commissions alone. That is I get 48 employees to sign on to one of the AFLAK plans per month. That makes the company around $200,000, via my sales savvy. :D It is certainly a tempting position.
One of my former bartenders left me to go to AFLAK. She's doing quite well. As a matter of fact, she and her boyfriend are leaving today on a cruise she got as an award for having good sales. She's been at it for 6 months.
She is a very attractive lady and that likely has some effect on her sales, but there is at least on guy I know who does pretty well though he has more experience.

Being attractive can work against one, also. It has it's drawbacks for SURE! lol

I can see where it might be beneficial if one worked in a men's clothing store, or in a place where the clientele was mostly men. But if you are dealing with women, too, LOOK OUT. Especially if the bosses wife thinks you are attractive....:dev2:

I think I would probably be better off starting off working directly for an employer and that way, I can start making some connections. :) That sounds like a good plan to me. Anyone who has any sales experience, I would welcome your advice on the best ways to get started in this career.

Well, since you asked. :D

The first thing to do is find something you love and you'll never work a day in your life. If you don't like sales, or people, or what you are selling, you won't do well.

You have to first sell yourself. The customer has to like you. ( generally speaking )

Understand the best communication skill is, listening.

Looking professional, depending upon the kind of business, is important, too. It tells the customer, you have put some thought into yourself, for your job and they like that. It impresses them.

There are two areas in which outstanding salespeople make it to the top of their jobs.

One, is a natural ability to interact with a customer. Good, open body language and showing interest in them because you truly are. If you are dealing with women as well as men, and you are attractive, this attribute will help you overcome that fact, to a woman, if she considers attractive women as threats as so many do. You need to address most of your attention and remarks to her and not the object of her affection.

Two, is to have a strategy in selling. This comes with experience and I have it honed. :thup:

Some salespersons have both, one and two, and we rarely fail to make the sale.

All the best, ChrisL.

Last edited:
Hold on there, sweet cakes... I'm coming with ya, I'm hungry too... I'll even buy...

:thup: Babes, I would go anywhere with you. I'd even have some bloody mary's with our breakfast, and then try to get into my two piece swimsuit for that dip in Lake Tahoe, with you. :D
Uh-oh... I'd be a little embarrassed with my winter spare tire...

I don't mind a spare tire on men as long as I like their truck, Harley and John Deere tractor. :D

Later guys.....time to get ready. Hugs to all great coffee-mates.
Have a Harley, a truck and a tractor. Alas, it's not a John Deer but it is bigger that 007's.
Oh, are we going to go to the "mine is bigger" realm?
Well, that's what males of every species do come the rut.

I did love working from home though. I have had mostly get out and go to work jobs but have had sideline extra curricular jobs working from home most of my working life. The last years before we retired, Hombre and I ran our own business out of our home. We were the established people in our area though and would get the lion's share of available work. We only closed the biz when the economy got so bad and there just wasn't enough work to go around. Others needed what available work there was to feed their families and we were both tired and ready to hang it up so we did. But I loved, loved, LOVED being my own boss and working from home.

Honestly, I can't stand it anymore. My job now just consists of typing and editing medical reports. It's basically typing for 7-8 hours a day. Of course, I stop to look things up like new meds I've never heard of, etc, and occasionally get the interesting story, but overall it's boring me to death and I've been having a hard time staying motivated. I need a change. :)

For those of us who love people and who love making sales. being in sales is very energizing. :thup: The people make it that way.

I have worked in sales for a bit, mostly as necessity while in transition, but discovered I didn't have a passion or a talent for it. I am a good motivator and promoter, but not a good salesman of a product. And while I love doing promotion and motivation/teaching, I don't enjoy selling a product all that much. I do admire those who do have a passion and skill for sales though. Our society and common lives together would really be in a mess without them.

• Thanks
Reactions: Ava
Oh and good morning everybody. We woke up to about six inches of snow on the ground this morning, but our neighbors had already shoveled our walk and drive bless their hearts. Temps about 25 here but supposed to go above freezing and stay that way for the rest of the day and tonight. Looks like the big storm that came through here is all in the midwest now headed straight for Illinois and southern Wisconsin.

Oh and good morning everybody. We woke up to about six inches of snow on the ground this morning, but our neighbors had already shoveled our walk and drive bless their hearts. Temps about 25 here but supposed to go above freezing and stay that way for the rest of the day and tonight. Looks like the big storm that came through here is all in the midwest now headed straight for Illinois and southern Wisconsin.
Earlier this week they called for 5-9 inches of snow in our fair city.
I didn't have to shovel any of the half inch of rain and wintery mix I got at my house.
Maybe my neighbors shoveled my rain for me. :)

Go
I think I would probably be better off starting off working directly for an employer and that way, I can start making some connections. :) That sounds like a good plan to me. Anyone who has any sales experience, I would welcome your advice on the best ways to get started in this career.

Well, since you asked. :D

The first thing to do is find something you love and you'll never work a day in your life. If you don't like sales, or people, or what you are selling, you won't do well.

You have to first sell yourself. The customer has to like you. ( generally speaking )

Understand the best communication skill is, listening.

Looking professional, depending upon the kind of business, is important, too. It tells the customer, you have put some thought into yourself, for your job and they like that. It impresses them.

There are two areas in which outstanding salespeople make it to the top of their jobs.

One, is a natural ability to interact with a customer. Good, open body language and showing interest in them because you truly are. If you are dealing with women as well as men, and you are attractive, this attribute will help you overcome that fact, to a woman, if she considers attractive women as threats as so many do. You need to address most of your attention and remarks to her and not the object of her affection.

Two, is to have a strategy in selling. This comes with experience and I have it honed. :thup:

Some salespersons have both, one and two, and we rarely fail to make the sale.

All the best, ChrisL.
Good luck with me, I'm the impossible customer. It means I will not buy unless I already was looking for a specific item/product/service, doesn't matter how good the salesperson is. I know all the "tricks".

Woke up to another bright sunny morning, but again, almost TWENTY BELOW. I have run out of ways to describe my disgust with this bitter cold. My furnace runs practically non stop, and the new mega sized, twin tank, whole house humidifier I bought also runs constantly on high and needs filling about every 18 hours. I look at a chill map and yup, it's WI that's right under this VORTEX or whatever the hell it is, just like it has a bulls eye on it. We are the coldest place in the nation yet again, including ALASKA. I'm tellin' ya, I can't take this anymore. Changes will be made. I believe vacating the state for Jan and Feb, and if temps like this remain, Mar too, would do wonders for me. I feel as though I'm under house arrest. To look longingly out the windows wishing I could go outside and be active doing something but can't because of the dangerous cold just irritates me to no end. I am questioning WHY I came back here. I know all about living near family and ancestors, but right now, that isn't rising to the level of making a difference to me.

I've had it.
My ultimate retirement goal is to have living quarters in both the northern and southern hemispheres, and never suffer through another winter.

I've had it.
My ultimate retirement goal is to have living quarters in both the northern and southern hemispheres, and never suffer through another winter.

Yeah, but you think 100 degrees in the shade is comfortable. :) I rather like all four seasons. I like the guilt free 'permission' that bad winter weather gives me to curl up under my blankie on the couch and watch favorite movies or read a good book. And when we had one, there is something therapeutic about a wood burning fireplace. I love the colors, rebirth, and promise of spring. I love the industry and opportunities of summer but dislike the heat. And autumn with its glorious colors, new beginnings, and cooler temps is my favorite season.

I interviewed for an independent contracted sales position at AFLAK, but I've been out of the loop for SO long with my current job working from home that I don't really have very many business connections anymore. There are a couple of former employers and one I know for sure who is still in business, but she is in RI. I'm a little hesitant if I can meet a quota with such few contacts. Of course, I could always telemarket or go into businesses and give my spiel. :D I don't think telemarketing is a very successful technique though. I know, for myself, I always hang up on telemarketers. Lol.
Yer already in trouble, ChrisL, the company name is AFLAC not AFLAK. Are you sure you want to be in sales?

I interviewed for an independent contracted sales position at AFLAK, but I've been out of the loop for SO long with my current job working from home that I don't really have very many business connections anymore. There are a couple of former employers and one I know for sure who is still in business, but she is in RI. I'm a little hesitant if I can meet a quota with such few contacts. Of course, I could always telemarket or go into businesses and give my spiel. :D I don't think telemarketing is a very successful technique though. I know, for myself, I always hang up on telemarketers. Lol.
Yer already in trouble, ChrisL, the company name is AFLAC not AFLAK. Are you sure you want to be in sales?
Maybe she means the German branch........ :eusa_whistle:
:D

Forum List

Back