USMB Coffee Shop IV

Sometime today I have to get out and clear the driveway, vehicles and sidewalk before the next storm shows up. Would have done it yesterday but I felt terrible, feeling a little better today.

Seems like everyone is getting sick. It's been a long winter. I am dying for summer so I can go to the ocean. I think that is the one thing that is stopping me from moving to a place like Tennessee. I know I would miss the ocean.
Alabama has the Gulf of Mexico. Just sayin....

I wonder how much a license to sell insurance costs there? Here in MA, it is quite expensive, and I'm going on interviews for sales positions and I'd like to have my license to be able to sell insurance.
Managing General Agent license. $205 application fee and $75/year.
A producer license, apparently for someone working for an agency is
Application Fee - $20
License Fee - $40
TOTAL INITIAL FEES - $60
Biennial License Renewal Fee - $40
There are on-line courses and tests

Fees and requirements
Alabama Department of Insurance

Do you realize that if I worked for AFLAK as an independent contractor in sales, I could make almost $70,000 in just commissions alone. That is I get 48 employees to sign on to one of the AFLAK plans per month. That makes the company around $200,000, via my sales savvy. :D It is certainly a tempting position.
One of my former bartenders left me to go to AFLAK. She's doing quite well. As a matter of fact, she and her boyfriend are leaving today on a cruise she got as an award for having good sales. She's been at it for 6 months.
She is a very attractive lady and that likely has some effect on her sales, but there is at least on guy I know who does pretty well though he has more experience.

I did love working from home though. I have had mostly get out and go to work jobs but have had sideline extra curricular jobs working from home most of my working life. The last years before we retired, Hombre and I ran our own business out of our home. We were the established people in our area though and would get the lion's share of available work. We only closed the biz when the economy got so bad and there just wasn't enough work to go around. Others needed what available work there was to feed their families and we were both tired and ready to hang it up so we did. But I loved, loved, LOVED being my own boss and working from home.

Just had a couple of young guys come by, paying them $20 to shovel the drive, sidewalks and clean off the vehicles, one less thing I have to do. :thup:

It is 27 degrees at our house now, but apparently there was enough retained heat in the ground that all the snow has melted off the walks and streets and they are wet, not icy, even now. If it stays below freezing all day--it isn't supposed to but they aren't too accurate with their predictions--it is likely to start freezing at any time. Nothing falling at the moment but there are some cells out there that could drift over to add to our modest snow pack. Or it will rain and melt it. Or we'll get nothing more. We never know for sure.

Just had a couple of young guys come by, paying them $20 to shovel the drive, sidewalks and clean off the vehicles, one less thing I have to do. :thup:

It is 27 degrees at our house now, but apparently there was enough retained heat in the ground that all the snow has melted off the walks and streets and they are wet, not icy, even now. If it stays below freezing all day--it isn't supposed to but they aren't too accurate with their predictions--it is likely to start freezing at any time. Nothing falling at the moment but there are some cells out there that could drift over to add to our modest snow pack. Or it will rain and melt it. Or we'll get nothing more. We never know for sure.
It's nice and sunny right now but it's cold and windy. I went out and cleared the back porch and some other areas in the back, as usual I didn't wear gloves and by the time I was finished my fingers were so cold they hurt. That was due to the wind, I'll wear gloves next time. Gonna relax for a little bit, take a shower and head up the pass to Walmart where it'll be windier and colder.......
The good thing is where the sun hits the hard surfaces the snow and ice are melting rapidly.

IMG_1544.jpg
Hey, Nosmo. You've told us about the miserable winter you're having up ion the Rust Belt. How has a body of water as large as the Ohio River fared? Certainly, the cold hasn't effected it so navigation is impossible! Certainly the towns and cities along its banks can still draw water from it.

Well, this is what the mighty Ohio river looked like today:

IMG_1546.jpg

IMG_1545.jpg

I did love working from home though. I have had mostly get out and go to work jobs but have had sideline extra curricular jobs working from home most of my working life. The last years before we retired, Hombre and I ran our own business out of our home. We were the established people in our area though and would get the lion's share of available work. We only closed the biz when the economy got so bad and there just wasn't enough work to go around. Others needed what available work there was to feed their families and we were both tired and ready to hang it up so we did. But I loved, loved, LOVED being my own boss and working from home.

Honestly, I can't stand it anymore. My job now just consists of typing and editing medical reports. It's basically typing for 7-8 hours a day. Of course, I stop to look things up like new meds I've never heard of, etc, and occasionally get the interesting story, but overall it's boring me to death and I've been having a hard time staying motivated. I need a change. :)

As an independent contractor, a lot of my work probably would be still done from home too, making phone calls and setting up appointments. I would still be my own boss, but I would have to meet a quota. I have to meet a quota for my job now too though. I'm just worried about being able to get enough people to meet that quota.

IMG_1544.jpg
Hey, Nosmo. You've told us about the miserable winter you're having up ion the Rust Belt. How has a body of water as large as the Ohio River fared? Certainly, the cold hasn't effected it so navigation is impossible! Certainly the towns and cities along its banks can still draw water from it.

Well, this is what the mighty Ohio river looked like today:

IMG_1546.jpg

IMG_1545.jpg

Great pictures. :)

Yup it's cold, not like the cold some of you are experiencing but still cold. Up on the hill at Walmart the temp was 19 degrees with high winds, I'm guestimating the wind chill was 0 degrees or less, "down" here at the house it's 21 degrees with high winds so we're just above 0....... No wonder my fingers were starting to frostbite earlier it was probably close to -10.

Honestly, I can't stand it anymore. My job now just consists of typing and editing medical reports. It's basically typing for 7-8 hours a day. Of course, I stop to look things up like new meds I've never heard of, etc, and occasionally get the interesting story, but overall it's boring me to death and I've been having a hard time staying motivated. I need a change. :)

I did data entry for a lot of years. Boring, but I still preferred it to dealing with people. ;)

I did data entry for a lot of years. Boring, but I still preferred it to dealing with people. ;)

I don't usually mind most people. Of course, it's a different story when I'm on this forum. :lol:

Well that's how we got to where we are. Hombre was a very successful branch manager of a very good company, but he was burned out and I honestly think had he stayed in that job, it would have killed him one way or another. Sometimes we both thought we had jumped from the frying pan into the fire--my last job working for the other guy ended in a 'take this job and shove it' moment and with me cleaning out my desk and leaving without notice. And I've never regretted that for a minute. Of course it wasn't boredom--I didn't mind the work at all and I was making killer money--but it wasn't worth it. Long story there.

So the next day I called an old colleague and asked for some leads for Hombre and me to get some clients for our own business. Within a week we were up and running full time. We didn't even get a vacation. :(

But make your move while you're still young, positive, and marketable, Chris. Once you are past your 40's or 50's, it gets a lot tougher to get a foot in the door.

Well that's how we got to where we are. Hombre was a very successful branch manager of a very good company, but he was burned out and I honestly think had he stayed in that job, it would have killed him one way or another. Sometimes we both thought we had jumped from the frying pan into the fire--my last job working for the other guy ended in a 'take this job and shove it' moment and with me cleaning out my desk and leaving without notice. And I've never regretted that for a minute. Of course it wasn't boredom--I didn't mind the work at all and I was making killer money--but it wasn't worth it. Long story there.

So the next day I called an old colleague and asked for some leads for Hombre and me to get some clients for our own business. Within a week we were up and running full time. We didn't even get a vacation. :(

Well, I don't want to start my own business. That is just too expensive and risky. I'm not even sure about this job for AFLAK. I have to see if hey even want to see me for a second interview, but I am interested in getting into sales.

Well, I don't want to start my own business. That is just too expensive and risky. I'm not even sure about this job for AFLAK. I have to see if hey even want to see me for a second interview, but I am interested in getting into sales.

Well we'll keep our fingers crossed for you and I bet you find something that you really love doing whether it is in sales or not. We all have to do jobs we hate or that bore us silly at least once in a lifetime, but life is too short to resign yourself to such a life without even trying to see what else is out there. So power to you. :)

Well we'll keep our fingers crossed for you and I bet you find something that you really love doing whether it is in sales or not. We all have to do jobs we hate or that bore us silly at least once in a lifetime, but life is too short to resign yourself to such a life without even trying to see what else is out there. So power to you. :)

Thanks, Foxy! I certainly don't want to type for the rest of my working life! I need something more exciting and with more opportunity. :) I'm definitely ready for a change.

It has been snowing off and on for the last three hours here and is now snowing pretty steadily. They just put us under a winter storm warning though so it probably won't last long. :)

Just checked the weather--winter storm warning and possibly heavy snow tonight - 50 plus degrees and rain tomorrow - 60 plus degrees and sun on Sunday.

This seemed appropriate both for the weather situation and the jobs we hate discussion:

1920058_10152295646419594_314097001_n.jpg

Just checked the weather--winter storm warning and possibly heavy snow tonight - 50 plus degrees and rain tomorrow - 60 plus degrees and sun on Sunday.

This seemed appropriate both for the weather situation and the jobs we hate discussion:

1920058_10152295646419594_314097001_n.jpg

It's good that the snow doesn't hang around too long. Around here, it is around for months and months. It gets dirty and ugly after being plowed and drive and walked on. I can't wait until it's gone. Lol.

Forum List

Back