USMB Coffee Shop IV

Okay, I want one or more of you resident geniuses to explain how this is possible:

third row from the bottom has 4 sections only 75% the size of the other sections

I'm not seeing that Ernie. I'm seeing 24 equal size squares, one is removed, the pieces are rearranged, and there are still 24 equal size squares. I can't figure out how it is possible.

Are you sure? I thought the population of Gallup was a little over 20k and Alamogordo a little over 30k?
According to the city stats Gallup has just over 70k including the "metro" area, Alamogordo has 30k total.

No way Gallup NM is anywhere close to 70k and there is no 'metro' area. I'm pretty sure.
Just posting what the official population stats are. :dunno:
Just checked a couple of other population reporting sites and they all state 20k so the one site I was using looks to be wrong.

Apparently so. When we were still working we would be in Gallup at least once a month and sometimes more, plus we go through there on our way to work in Arizona, gamble in Laughlin, or visit in California. And we would be in Alamogordo as frequently and often overnighted there or in Cruces.

Alamogordo is heavily Hispanic, a military town with Holloman AFB nearby, the Space museum is there and the Space Port, plus many points of interest within easy day trips. A neat little town but not at all cosmopolitan. You would have to like small towns to like it there.

Gallup is at least 75% Native American and Hispanic population with the Navajo plus a few Hopi being the largest demographic group. As such there is a very definite cultural and historic feel to the town and you feel like you're in the middle of the old wild west. But there isn't much to do there and it isn't close to anywhere.
One thing I read last night is Gallup is the violent crime capital of New Mexico. I'm pretty sure I'd take El Paso or Albuquerque over Gallup or Alamogordo any day but if it came down to a choice between Gallop and Alamogordo it would be Alamogordo as it's relatively close to Las Cruces and El Paso.
Oh and the wife was mistaken about the third location being Albuquerque, when she received the job specs/locations the third one is in our second choice location (first being Colorado Springs), Santa Fe and the pay would make living there very easy and affordable.

Well maybe that will work out if the El Paso job doesn't come through? Would you want Santa Fe enough to pass on the El Paso job and hope for it?

And yes, that 'wild west' feel I mentioned about Gallup does translate into making it a rough little town. It would really take a special kind of person to enjoy living there I think and probably most who plan to live and die there are tied to it via family. Almost everybody else is looking for a way to move somewhere else. :)

Morning All !

We got rain last night - very nice. :)
Tuesday's grin.
funny-animals-15.jpg

Okay, it's seems I had some of my info wrong. The wifes phone interview today wasn't Reno, apparently that one didn't work out. It was for Las Vegas NV and she's been getting more and more calls. This morning she got a call for one of three jobs in New Mexico, one in Alamogordo, one in Gallup and one in Albuquerque she also got one for a job in Chicago...... she said no to that one........ :lol:

You really want Albuquerque instead of Gallup or Alamogordo neither of which are close to anywhere. But given a choice between Alamogordo and Gallup, I would take Alamogordo in a heartbeat. At least you are minutes from alpine mountains, White Sands, and an easy four-lane drive to Las Cruces for serious shopping for things you can't get in your small town.
We drove through Alamogordo on the way down to El Paso and I looked it and Gallup up online. Yeah Alamogordo is closer to larger cities like El Paso and Las Cruces but it's smaller than Gallup, in fact half the size. Still waiting on the final word from El Paso and the Las Vegas people said they would let the wife know by Friday. Yes we would prefer a larger city over the other two.
I lived in Alamagordo for a spell...not really that bad of a town...military town. Las Cruces is only about 45 minutes away...an easy drive through White Sands. I moved to Las Cruces after about 6 months for a job...I LOVED CRUCES....Alamogordo isn't too bad either if you like smaller towns....close to Ruidoso, which is beautiful. I wouldn't move to Albuquerque...shit hole.

A warm Coffee Shop welcome to Nutz who is joining us for the first time this morning. Do you still live somewhere in New Mexico? Sorry you don't like my fair city. Albuquerque has been our home for a long time now and it does have much to condemn it but has even more to commend it. We llike it because it has most of the amenities you expect of a big city but still has enough of a small town feel for us--hubby and I are both small town kids--that we feel very much at home here.

But everybody doesn't love everybody or everywhere or else we would all be living on top of each other. :)

Anyhow welcome to the Coffee Shop and here's your first timer's complimentary beverage:

cappuccino-cup-opt.jpg
Thank you for the coffee...No, don't live in NM any longer, it was way back in the 90's when I was in the area....Albuquerque is a great place to visit for me...not to live. I prefer the smaller towns...hell I bet Las Cruces would be too big for me now. I had a great job back then....I traveled all over NM. I could tell you some stories about being in the middle of nowhere! Silver City was my favorite - I could retire there. (Ever see that movie Rat Race...that is the finish line). Anyway...didn't mean to insult your city...

Okay, it's seems I had some of my info wrong. The wifes phone interview today wasn't Reno, apparently that one didn't work out. It was for Las Vegas NV and she's been getting more and more calls. This morning she got a call for one of three jobs in New Mexico, one in Alamogordo, one in Gallup and one in Albuquerque she also got one for a job in Chicago...... she said no to that one........ :lol:

You really want Albuquerque instead of Gallup or Alamogordo neither of which are close to anywhere. But given a choice between Alamogordo and Gallup, I would take Alamogordo in a heartbeat. At least you are minutes from alpine mountains, White Sands, and an easy four-lane drive to Las Cruces for serious shopping for things you can't get in your small town.
We drove through Alamogordo on the way down to El Paso and I looked it and Gallup up online. Yeah Alamogordo is closer to larger cities like El Paso and Las Cruces but it's smaller than Gallup, in fact half the size. Still waiting on the final word from El Paso and the Las Vegas people said they would let the wife know by Friday. Yes we would prefer a larger city over the other two.
I lived in Alamagordo for a spell...not really that bad of a town...military town. Las Cruces is only about 45 minutes away...an easy drive through White Sands. I moved to Las Cruces after about 6 months for a job...I LOVED CRUCES....Alamogordo isn't too bad either if you like smaller towns....close to Ruidoso, which is beautiful. I wouldn't move to Albuquerque...shit hole.

A warm Coffee Shop welcome to Nutz who is joining us for the first time this morning. Do you still live somewhere in New Mexico? Sorry you don't like my fair city. Albuquerque has been our home for a long time now and it does have much to condemn it but has even more to commend it. We llike it because it has most of the amenities you expect of a big city but still has enough of a small town feel for us--hubby and I are both small town kids--that we feel very much at home here.

But everybody doesn't love everybody or everywhere or else we would all be living on top of each other. :)

Anyhow welcome to the Coffee Shop and here's your first timer's complimentary beverage:

cappuccino-cup-opt.jpg
Thank you for the coffee...No, don't live in NM any longer, it was way back in the 90's when I was in the area....Albuquerque is a great place to visit for me...not to live. I prefer the smaller towns...hell I bet Las Cruces would be too big for me now. I had a great job back then....I traveled all over NM. I could tell you some stories about being in the middle of nowhere! Silver City was my favorite - I could retire there. (Ever see that movie Rat Race...that is the finish line). Anyway...didn't mean to insult your city...

No offense taken. :) You wouldn't be the first to not be enamored with Albuquerque and won't be the last. Ringel seriously looked at Albuquerque as a possible new location and I'm pretty sure he would prefer many other places to here. :)

According to the city stats Gallup has just over 70k including the "metro" area, Alamogordo has 30k total.

No way Gallup NM is anywhere close to 70k and there is no 'metro' area. I'm pretty sure.
Just posting what the official population stats are. :dunno:
Just checked a couple of other population reporting sites and they all state 20k so the one site I was using looks to be wrong.

Apparently so. When we were still working we would be in Gallup at least once a month and sometimes more, plus we go through there on our way to work in Arizona, gamble in Laughlin, or visit in California. And we would be in Alamogordo as frequently and often overnighted there or in Cruces.

Alamogordo is heavily Hispanic, a military town with Holloman AFB nearby, the Space museum is there and the Space Port, plus many points of interest within easy day trips. A neat little town but not at all cosmopolitan. You would have to like small towns to like it there.

Gallup is at least 75% Native American and Hispanic population with the Navajo plus a few Hopi being the largest demographic group. As such there is a very definite cultural and historic feel to the town and you feel like you're in the middle of the old wild west. But there isn't much to do there and it isn't close to anywhere.
One thing I read last night is Gallup is the violent crime capital of New Mexico. I'm pretty sure I'd take El Paso or Albuquerque over Gallup or Alamogordo any day but if it came down to a choice between Gallop and Alamogordo it would be Alamogordo as it's relatively close to Las Cruces and El Paso.
Oh and the wife was mistaken about the third location being Albuquerque, when she received the job specs/locations the third one is in our second choice location (first being Colorado Springs), Santa Fe and the pay would make living there very easy and affordable.

Well maybe that will work out if the El Paso job doesn't come through? Would you want Santa Fe enough to pass on the El Paso job and hope for it?

And yes, that 'wild west' feel I mentioned about Gallup does translate into making it a rough little town. It would really take a special kind of person to enjoy living there I think and probably most who plan to live and die there are tied to it via family. Almost everybody else is looking for a way to move somewhere else. :)
We liked El Paso but prefer the more mountainous areas that have trees....... I think the only real complaint I have with El Paso is the drivers, those people are crazy and that's saying a lot, I tend to have a bit of a lead foot. The Santa Fe area gives us what we want visually and we absolutely love the area between Santa Fe and Las Vegas NM (Glorietta Pass and Apache Canyon), that is just out and out beautiful and majestic.

cappuccino-cup-opt.jpg

No offense taken. :) You wouldn't be the first to not be enamored with Albuquerque and won't be the last. Ringel seriously looked at Albuquerque as a possible new location and I'm pretty sure he would prefer many other places to here. :)
If she was offered a position there we'd have no problem but would prefer Rio Rancho over Albuquerque proper. Rio Rancho has that suburban feel we're used to.

cappuccino-cup-opt.jpg

Alamogordo isn't too bad. When I was there...it was growing. Can't tell you what it looks like now. Personally, I would move to Cruces and make the drive everyday. But you are right, Cruces is heavily hispanic...a lot of illegals in Cruces as the Border Patrol Stations lie outside the city heading towards Alamogordo and Alburquerque...but it is also a college town, so very diverse. Alamogordo isn't as hispanic as a lot of people think. Like I said, border patrol stations protect it from Las Cruces and El Paso. A lot of retired military, Native Americans (Ruidoso is a few miles away (Indian Reservation).
(Sorry, you have me reminiscing on my days in NM)

Grow a ring of mushrooms around the house.........

I keep checking the loo to see if it happens again, it might give me more of an insight into what happened. If the evidence suggests a poltergeist I might contact a spiritualist medium.

Do you honestly believe in that. You should be careful. A lot of people will take advantage of you because of your beliefs. :)

Okay, I want one or more of you resident geniuses to explain how this is possible:

third row from the bottom has 4 sections only 75% the size of the other sections

I'm not seeing that Ernie. I'm seeing 24 equal size squares, one is removed, the pieces are rearranged, and there are still 24 equal size squares. I can't figure out how it is possible.

The diagonal cut divides one horizontal row into what is essentially 1/4 piece increments that are then offset, top moved one column to the left. If the cracks in the final frame were closed up tight, it would be apparent that the pieces in that row are 75% the size of the others.

cappuccino-cup-opt.jpg

Alamogordo isn't too bad. When I was there...it was growing. Can't tell you what it looks like now. Personally, I would move to Cruces and make the drive everyday. But you are right, Cruces is heavily hispanic...a lot of illegals in Cruces as the Border Patrol Stations lie outside the city heading towards Alamogordo and Alburquerque...but it is also a college town, so very diverse. Alamogordo isn't as hispanic as a lot of people think. Like I said, border patrol stations protect it from Las Cruces and El Paso. A lot of retired military, Native Americans (Ruidoso is a few miles away (Indian Reservation).
We're currently living in Trinidad, CO (Podunk) and our number one choice would be to move back to Colorado Springs but the job market there is flat so we're currently looking all over the southwest. I'm on disability (well still fighting the government over that) but the wife wants a job and with what she currently does means that in most cases it's contractual until the job is completed then it's time to find a new job. One thing El Paso is offering is a full time permanent position that includes other responsibilities but they're only offering a salary under $60K however the benefits are great, the people are really nice and the salary cap is just under $90K. Did I mention it's a permanent position and El Paso metro has around 800,000 people which means it has all the amenities we like.
One of the other issues concerning El Paso is even though it's large it's pretty much in the middle of no where.

cappuccino-cup-opt.jpg

If she was offered a position there we'd have no problem but would prefer Rio Rancho over Albuquerque proper. Rio Rancho has that suburban feel we're used to.

Well yeah. It is populated with Californians and New Yorkers. :)

cappuccino-cup-opt.jpg

We're currently living in Trinidad, CO (Podunk) and our number one choice would be to move back to Colorado Springs but the job market there is flat so we're currently looking all over the southwest. I'm on disability (well still fighting the government over that) but the wife wants a job and with what she currently does means that in most cases it's contractual until the job is completed then it's time to find a new job. One thing El Paso is offering is a full time permanent position that includes other responsibilities but they're only offering a salary under $60K however the benefits are great, the people are really nice and the salary cap is just under $90K. Did I mention it's a permanent position and El Paso metro has around 800,000 people which means it has all the amenities we like.
One of the other issues concerning El Paso is even though it's large it's pretty much in the middle of no where.
I know El Paso well..my home office was in El Paso and I was there at least once a week. If you like suburbs....try Anthony..half way between El Paso and Cruces. El Paso...wasn't that great of a city....right on the border....you have to live in the western part to avoid all of the dirt and grime. But you are right...in the middle of nowhere...but you said you like mountains....move near UTEP, there is a little hill out there.

There are some nice areas in El Paso...I would still move outside of the border patrol station and commute to work.

cappuccino-cup-opt.jpg

Hey Nutz.....welcome to the coffee shop. :thup:

coffee-and-cancer.jpg

The wife is watching the science channel, Worlds Strangest, Inventions. The University of Pittsburgh is using pig bladders to regrow human tissue (muscle, skin and organs) and possibly bone on/in human subjects. It looks very promising but there's lots of work to be done.

Forum List

Back