USMC vet claims PTSD and demands "right" to have pet dog with him at work.

Correct , vets get out of the military and they go back to being normal everday Americans as far as i am concerned Syriusly.

there is NO special class in American society though it looks like you emotion driven people are intent on establihing SPECIAL classes in the USA Syriusly .

and as far as the PTSD , yes Sir , i think that in the majority of cases its BS Syriusly .

That is too bad.

I guess if you can't see that missing limb, you just assume the veteran is faking it.

Meet the 91-year-old whose wartime PTSD makes him the perfect guide for today’s veterans

The vets I meet are surprised to learn I’m a weightlifter who does interval training on the treadmill and that I can make it through a conversation without nodding off. I tell them how PTSD has affected me: I avoid elevators, crowds and July 4th fireworks; I’m claustrophobic from the 12 days I spent in a lightless cell at the Luftwaffe interrogation center in Germany, and I won’t fly unless I have an aisle seat.

Survivor’s guilt is still my strongest stressor. I make them privy to my emotional baggage to show them that they are not unique or weird. I tell them about my bombing missions with the Eighth Air Force during WWII and the day that my B-17 exploded over Berlin. How I am plagued with guilt over the loss of four of my crewmates that day. What it was like being a POW for a year and how exhilarating it was to see Patton lead his troops through the barbed wire gates of our Stalag to liberate us.

I also tell them that I have been an out patient at the hospital for more than 25 years and that the care I received has changed my life.
Would you not find it odd that someone who was in a concentration camp, who might have been buried alive for fun or watched people forced to dig their own graves before being shot in the head. Women raped repeatedly, men raped and hung on meathooks until their shoulders dislocated. These people did not get PTSD.

They didn't?

PTSD and Holocaust Survivors, by Andy Douillard
Aging Holocaust Survivors Suffer From PTSD
Nazi horrors revisited: The Holocaust survivors who only develop PTSD in old age | Daily Mail Online

You don't find this conclusion that PTSD afflicts holocaust survivors only in old age the least bit curious. They are old. They, like many old people tend to draw back into memories of their youth. That's not PTSD, it's age.

I believe PTSD is real, I get a dose of it just doing business with people. It does seem to be overplayed though with so many making the claim. That's a military discharge with a disability check every month.

All that aside, it should be up to the business owner, pay his bills then you can make decisions for him. Some people do not like dogs, and sometimes with good reason. I had two at my shop. Most people really liked them, which they sucked up in spades but some people freaked on me, although that was a very small minority.
I had my dog, a big German Shepherd at my law office. He spent his time sleeping under my desk. When, in his expert opinion, someone spent too much time waiting in the waiting room, he took his ball out there and offered a rousing game of fetch to pass the time. No one ever turned him down either.

I believe well behaved dogs belong everywhere. Then there would be no issue of who needed a PTSD dog or not. It's a dog. It's well behaved. Not a screaming kid.

I didn't think it was legal to disallow service dogs.
PTSD can be every bit as disabling as blindness.
So we have to pay to let them work? wtf?
huh? No, you just have to make allowances for service animals. Doesn't cost anything to let a guy have his dog sit by him.
------------------------------- guess that it costs the private business owner who doesn't want the dog some of his Freedom eh Borillar ??

huh? No, you just have to make allowances for service animals. Doesn't cost anything to let a guy have his dog sit by him.
Well, not quite true. The dog is not a stuffed toy. It still needs care. It must be walked. It has to have a water bowl readily available. Co workers might have allergies. The employer has legitimate interests.

------------------------------- guess that it costs the private business owner who doesn't want the dog some of his Freedom eh Borillar ??
A red light causes motorists who want to get where they're going to lose some of their freedom too. Doesn't mean we should do away with traffic lights.

We, as a society, have made certain allowances for people with handicaps. You may not like that, but I'd bet any handicapped person would be happy to trade their situations with you.

Everyone must stop at a red light. There is no class of people who claim a mental instability entitles them to run red lights.

A claim of mental instability is not a handicap.

Hell with these idiots who try and bring their pets to work with them.

USMC Vet: Employer Won't Let Me Come to Work With PTSD Service Dog

july 8 2017 A United States Marine Corps veteran who suffers from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder said his employer won't let him come to work with his service dog.

Yauncey Long said Cincinnati Bell, a Midwest telecom company, refused to let him work in the company of his service dog, C4.

Long said he's gotten pushback from the company, including "unsatisfactory" responses from management, after he applied for reasonable accommodations.
He is right, it is the law.

As one involved with service dogs and the handicapped, your post validates that too many are totally ignorant as to the miracles service dogs do to improve lives.

This should be required reading in every high school.

IMG_6841.JPG

Well, not quite true. The dog is not a stuffed toy. It still needs care. It must be walked. It has to have a water bowl readily available. Co workers might have allergies. The employer has legitimate interests.
A person typically gets a couple breaks and a lunch hour. That's plenty of time to walk the dog and give it water. The allergy thing is an interesting conundrum. Dueling handicaps - which one gets preference? I suppose management would have to deal with that as best they could - seat them as far from each other as possible, maybe different rooms.

july 8 2017 A United States Marine Corps veteran who suffers from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder said his employer won't let him come to work with his service dog.

Yauncey Long said Cincinnati Bell, a Midwest telecom company, refused to let him work in the company of his service dog, C4.

Long said he's gotten pushback from the company, including "unsatisfactory" responses from management, after he applied for reasonable accommodations.

As one involved with service dogs and the handicapped, your post validates that too many are totally ignorant as to the miracles service dogs do to improve lives.
I may not agree with you on much, but you are spot on here. My SIL is blind and has a seeing eye dog. It has totally changed her life for the better. She has had to deal with certain businesses and restaurants hassling her about her dog. Fortunately, those are few and far between, as most people understand the necessity. If you are involved with raising or training these wonderful animals, thank you!

I may not agree with you on much, but you are spot on here. My SIL is blind and has a seeing eye dog. It has totally changed her life for the better. She has had to deal with certain businesses and restaurants hassling her about her dog. Fortunately, those are few and far between, as most people understand the necessity. If you are involved with raising or training these wonderful animals, thank you!
A blind person with a seeing eye dog just has a different set of eyes.

It's not the same as a person with a claim of some kind of mental instability.

I have known many blind animals with sighted helpers. No training either.

This should be required reading in every high school.

View attachment 138227
Really? Reading about an alcoholic who ended up committing suicide should be required reading. Maybe so.
I have no issue with kids learning about alcohol and drug abuse. Why do you hate the handicapped?
I don't consider claims of PTSD a handicap. I consider it an excuse. I don't hate them. I consider them weak.

Forum List

Back