Va senate passes bill that lets parents keep perverted sexual material OUT of schools

Do we have a list of books that precipitated this bill? I'd like to see what the impetus behind this is.

Toni Morrison's Pulizter Prize winning novel Beloved is what touched off this controversy.

Why?

There are a few depictions as well as allusions to rape in the book. It is a powerful and at times violent work. I am not sure what grade this book was given as assignment but it certainly is an upperclassman read in my opinion. Amazing literature, though.

Do we have a list of books that precipitated this bill? I'd like to see what the impetus behind this is.

Toni Morrison's Pulizter Prize winning novel Beloved is what touched off this controversy.

Why?

There are a few depictions as well as allusions to rape in the book. It is a powerful and at times violent work. I am not sure what grade this book was given as assignment but it certainly is an upperclassman read in my opinion. Amazing literature, though.

I read Wapo's article about all this....I'm with you, it depends on the class, certainly not a read for the younger kids and most likely a college read. I found it interesting the school can show R rated movies with a two week notice to parents but no such rule is in place for books

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk
Hamlet fancied his mother as well. That cant be right.
Gotta get that filth out of the hands of children. After all, shouldn't they also not live in the real world, like their parents?
51j0a8rA57L.jpg

Hello Amazon, 30 copies please, for our Advanced Placement students...

Hamlet fancied his mother as well. That cant be right.
Gotta get that filth out of the hands of children. After all, shouldn't they also not live in the real world, like their parents?
51j0a8rA57L.jpg

Hello Amazon, 30 copies please, for our Advanced Placement students...
I believe that the Texas educational authority can get amended texts to suit Texan tastes. Maybe they should give them a call and find out where they get it from ?

Forum List

Back