Veterans are being told to pay back bonuses..........

Of all the people to fuck . . .

Disgusting!
I'm not sure anyone is getting screwed here.

seems like they didn't deserve the bonuses to begin with but someone at the state level was pushing them through fraudulently - screwing over everyone else
then you dont blame the troops,they did this in good faith....
i don't blame them, but they don't deserve to keep the cash

They absolutely do deserve to keep the money. No other contract restricts the lives of the participant as these do, and if these soldiers agreed to those restrictions based on fraud, let those who committed the fraud to pay or go to prison.

The paper reported that nearly 10,000 soldiers, many of whom risked their lives during multiple combat tours, have been ordered to repay the cash bonuses after audits revealed widespread overpayments by California Guard officials under pressure to meet enlistment targets at the height of the wars 10 years ago.

But soldiers say the military is reneging on old agreements and imposing severe financial hardship on those whose only mistake was to accept the bonuses, which amounted to $15,000 or more.

In this case the soldiers were given an offer to reenlist and they accepted it. That was the terms under which they agreed to additional service

Will the Pentagon offer them back the three years of their lives if they return the money?
but they weren't eligible for the bonuses. why should they get tens of thousands of dollars while others who did exactly the same thing but didn't accept fraudulent bonuses get nothing?

Because that was the offer that was on the table
but it wasn't the offer. it was fraud.

Suppose your boss told you....I'll give you a $15,000 bonus if you work weekends and holidays for the next year

So you work weekends and holidays for a year and then your boss says....Sorry, I wasn't authorized to pay you the $15,000, you have to give it back
it sucks. but that's the way it works. you don't get to keep military overpayment

What fraud? They're going after obscure technicalities so that the California EPA can afford to hire 15 Diversity and Inclusion enforcers and pay them $100k each. Money doesn't grow on trees, you know.
This thread is about our vets being forced to pay back reenlistment bonuses they took in good faith....why are you going off topic?
It shows where California's priorities are.
California is not asking for the money back...the DoD is. So, again....I ask you. Why are you going off topic?
I think you're confused. Again.
Hardly...as a vet I know how these things work.......and I live in CA where this is being talked about a lot right now....and I live in the district of one of the Congressmen taking this on...............................and you?
You live in California and didn't know about the EPA's plan to hire 15 diversity nazis. Living there doesn't mean you know shit.

Disgusting!

seems like they didn't deserve the bonuses to begin with but someone at the state level was pushing them through fraudulently - screwing over everyone else

They absolutely do deserve to keep the money. No other contract restricts the lives of the participant as these do, and if these soldiers agreed to those restrictions based on fraud, let those who committed the fraud to pay or go to prison.
We already have Leftists on this thread accusing combat veterans of committing fraud. Yes, dodging enemy fire and committing felonies at home.

Aren't Leftists just wonderful? Doesn't it make you want to invite a few over for Thanksgiving dinner?

Disgusting!

We already have Leftists on this thread accusing combat veterans of committing fraud. Yes, dodging enemy fire and committing felonies at home.

Aren't Leftists just wonderful? Doesn't it make you want to invite a few over for Thanksgiving dinner?
do you think that becoming a soldier makes someone a paragon of virtue?

The paper reported that nearly 10,000 soldiers, many of whom risked their lives during multiple combat tours, have been ordered to repay the cash bonuses after audits revealed widespread overpayments by California Guard officials under pressure to meet enlistment targets at the height of the wars 10 years ago.

But soldiers say the military is reneging on old agreements and imposing severe financial hardship on those whose only mistake was to accept the bonuses, which amounted to $15,000 or more.

In this case the soldiers were given an offer to reenlist and they accepted it. That was the terms under which they agreed to additional service

Will the Pentagon offer them back the three years of their lives if they return the money?
but they weren't eligible for the bonuses. why should they get tens of thousands of dollars while others who did exactly the same thing but didn't accept fraudulent bonuses get nothing?

Suppose your boss told you....I'll give you a $15,000 bonus if you work weekends and holidays for the next year

So you work weekends and holidays for a year and then your boss says....Sorry, I wasn't authorized to pay you the $15,000, you have to give it back
it sucks. but that's the way it works. you don't get to keep military overpayment

If you are an E3 and are slated to take home $15,000 a year and they pay you $20,000 by mistake you don't get to keep it

But if you are an E3 and they offer you $15,000 to reenlist for three years and you fulfill your enlistment there is no way to "make you well"
Giving back $15,000 makes them well, but they can't return 3 years of your life

If you are an E3 and are slated to take home $15,000 a year and they pay you $20,000 by mistake you don't get to keep it

But if you are an E3 and they offer you $15,000 to reenlist for three years and you fulfill your enlistment there is no way to "make you well"
lots were 20 year veterans. not e3s.

i agree that it sucks, but i fail to see why someone should be allowed to financially benefit from fraud.

i agree that it sucks, but i fail to see why someone should be allowed to financially benefit from fraud.

It was the recruiters committing fraud. If they received bonuses for meeting enlistment goals, they should forfeit those bonuses

However, the recruiter is representing the US Army in negotiating with enlisted soldiers. If the soldier is told $15,000 for three years and does the three years...It is the Army that is responsible for the actions of its agents...not the soldiers

It was the recruiters committing fraud. If they received bonuses for meeting enlistment goals, they should forfeit those bonuses

However, the recruiter is representing the US Army in negotiating with enlisted soldiers. If the soldier is told $15,000 for three years and does the three years...It is the Army that is responsible for the actions of its agents...not the soldiers
I'm sorry that's just not how it works.

they didn't earn the money. they wrongly took resources that could have been used elsewhere. sorry they were ignorant about the contract they signed, but ignorance doesn't mean you get to keep stolen money

Now veterans are being told that even though they risked their asses by going into war zones in the ME, they are not eligible for the bonuses they were given and are being told they have to repay them. Many were given enlistment bonuses of 15,000 or more.

Pentagon Demands Return Of Cash Bonuses Paid To California Soldiers For Going To War A Decade Ago

Now, considering that most of our military live paycheck to paycheck because they don't get paid enough (an E-6 over 20 years of service only makes 36,000/yr), most of them will have a financial hardship in paying back the money.

I say let them keep the money, and let it go at that. They served in a war zone and risked their asses. They deserve the money for reenlisting and going back into a war zone.

Does anyone else find this reprehensible?

I find it rather disgusting as well. What I found even more amusing was the comment made on Morning Joe wanting to know what were the candidates for President (read Trump) doing about it, like they could do something. My question is where is Obama when the veterans need him? Answer: Out campaigning for Hillary instead of taking care of this bullshit with an executive order.

they didn't earn the money. they wrongly took resources that could have been used elsewhere. sorry they were ignorant about the contract they signed, but ignorance doesn't mean you get to keep stolen money

Did they write the contract, or merely accept it when offered?

Hey...................quick question.....................how many civilians do you guys on this thread think would be willing to go into a hot war zone where they are firing weapons and planting IED's all around for a measly 15,000?

Quick answer. NONE!

Doesn't matter, they didn't meet the terms

if h&r block filed tax returns for thousands of people getting them refunds of $15k they didn't deserve and the mistake isn't discovered for years down the road the individuals don't get to pretend they don't owe the money.

Obama loves to screw our military.
Congress is the one that needs to fix this F==kup. It's about money. They are the ones who approve how money gets spent.
IT does not require Congress when the Chief Executive can simply order it to be given.

Budget authorizations (of which this is one), cannot be done by EO.

What budget authorization did Obama get to return $1.7 billion to Iran?

What were the terms they didn't meet? There was a vet on this morning that got a purple heart and was having to pay back the money.

What were the terms they didn't meet? There was a vet on this morning that got a purple heart and was having to pay back the money.
and you think the purple heart matters because..... why?

many weren't eligible because they already had 20 years

An enlistment is a contract with clearly defined terms.

The soldier agrees to serve 3-4 years for a given rate and any enlistment bonuses are clearly identified.

The recruiter or some other official signs on behalf of the Army. The soldier signs on his own behalf. Then you have a contract

If the Army is not satisfied with the terms agreed to by its agent, their grievance is with the agent not the soldier

if h&r block filed tax returns for thousands of people getting them refunds of $15k they didn't deserve and the mistake isn't discovered for years down the road the individuals don't get to pretend they don't owe the money.

In that case, H&R Block is serving as an agent of the taxpayer not the IRS

Forum List

Back