Veterans are being told to pay back bonuses..........

it sucks. but that's the way it works. you don't get to keep military overpayment

If you are an E3 and are slated to take home $15,000 a year and they pay you $20,000 by mistake you don't get to keep it

But if you are an E3 and they offer you $15,000 to reenlist for three years and you fulfill your enlistment there is no way to "make you well"
Giving back $15,000 makes them well, but they can't return 3 years of your life
lots were 20 year veterans. not e3s.

i agree that it sucks, but i fail to see why someone should be allowed to financially benefit from fraud.

It was the recruiters committing fraud. If they received bonuses for meeting enlistment goals, they should forfeit those bonuses

However, the recruiter is representing the US Army in negotiating with enlisted soldiers. If the soldier is told $15,000 for three years and does the three years...It is the Army that is responsible for the actions of its agents...not the soldiers
I'm sorry that's just not how it works.

they didn't earn the money. they wrongly took resources that could have been used elsewhere. sorry they were ignorant about the contract they signed, but ignorance doesn't mean you get to keep stolen money

An enlistment is a contract with clearly defined terms.

The soldier agrees to serve 3-4 years for a given rate and any enlistment bonuses are clearly identified.

The recruiter or some other official signs on behalf of the Army. The soldier signs on his own behalf. Then you have a contract

If the Army is not satisfied with the terms agreed to by its agent, their grievance is with the agent not the soldier
the army is satisfied. the re-enlisting soldiers that did not meet the eligibility requirements for the bonuses are not

I'm not sure anyone is getting screwed here.

seems like they didn't deserve the bonuses to begin with but someone at the state level was pushing them through fraudulently - screwing over everyone else
then you dont blame the troops,they did this in good faith....
i don't blame them, but they don't deserve to keep the cash

They absolutely do deserve to keep the money. No other contract restricts the lives of the participant as these do, and if these soldiers agreed to those restrictions based on fraud, let those who committed the fraud to pay or go to prison.
We already have Leftists on this thread accusing combat veterans of committing fraud. Yes, dodging enemy fire and committing felonies at home.

Aren't Leftists just wonderful? Doesn't it make you want to invite a few over for Thanksgiving dinner?
do you think that becoming a soldier makes someone a paragon of virtue?
Yes. It's more selfless than anything an asswipe like you will ever do in your entire bubble wrap life.

then you dont blame the troops,they did this in good faith....
i don't blame them, but they don't deserve to keep the cash

They absolutely do deserve to keep the money. No other contract restricts the lives of the participant as these do, and if these soldiers agreed to those restrictions based on fraud, let those who committed the fraud to pay or go to prison.
We already have Leftists on this thread accusing combat veterans of committing fraud. Yes, dodging enemy fire and committing felonies at home.

Aren't Leftists just wonderful? Doesn't it make you want to invite a few over for Thanksgiving dinner?
do you think that becoming a soldier makes someone a paragon of virtue?
Yes. It's more selfless than anything an asswipe like you will ever do in your entire bubble wrap life.
and what does that have to do with ineligibility for a bonus?

why shouldn't they? why are people in favor of fraud?
What fraud? They're going after obscure technicalities so that the California EPA can afford to hire 15 Diversity and Inclusion enforcers and pay them $100k each. Money doesn't grow on trees, you know.
donnie, you're out of your element.

none of the money will go back to california. it belongs to ngb
Right. That's why the state of California is doing the collecting.
the state is not
Yes it is. We're talking about just the California National Guard. I know Leftists dream of the federal government owning everything, but the National Guard still belongs to the states.

They do until they are federalized. Then they belong to the DOD.

It was the recruiters committing fraud. If they received bonuses for meeting enlistment goals, they should forfeit those bonuses

However, the recruiter is representing the US Army in negotiating with enlisted soldiers. If the soldier is told $15,000 for three years and does the three years...It is the Army that is responsible for the actions of its agents...not the soldiers

they didn't earn the money. they wrongly took resources that could have been used elsewhere. sorry they were ignorant about the contract they signed, but ignorance doesn't mean you get to keep stolen money

Did they write the contract, or merely accept it when offered?
Doesn't matter, they didn't meet the terms

What were the terms they didn't meet? There was a vet on this morning that got a purple heart and was having to pay back the money.
and you think the purple heart matters because..... why?

many weren't eligible because they already had 20 years

Was that in the contract?

What were the terms they didn't meet? There was a vet on this morning that got a purple heart and was having to pay back the money.

one would assume.

nobody seems to be saying ngb is wrong and everyone was actually eligible, they are just complaining that it took them some time to make the determination

one would assume.

nobody seems to be saying ngb is wrong and everyone was actually eligible, they are just complaining that it took them some time to make the determination

That means you don't know what was in the contract but continue with your bullshit that they didn't meet the terms.

If you are an E3 and are slated to take home $15,000 a year and they pay you $20,000 by mistake you don't get to keep it

But if you are an E3 and they offer you $15,000 to reenlist for three years and you fulfill your enlistment there is no way to "make you well"
Giving back $15,000 makes them well, but they can't return 3 years of your life

i agree that it sucks, but i fail to see why someone should be allowed to financially benefit from fraud.

The soldier agrees to serve 3-4 years for a given rate and any enlistment bonuses are clearly identified.

The recruiter or some other official signs on behalf of the Army. The soldier signs on his own behalf. Then you have a contract

If the Army is not satisfied with the terms agreed to by its agent, their grievance is with the agent not the soldier
the army is satisfied. the re-enlisting soldiers that did not meet the eligibility requirements for the bonuses are not

The Army has the ability to review each enlistment contract before it is approved and before a bonus check is paid. They elected not to do that

However, after the soldier has served the enlistment, is no time to review the eligibility of a soldier
A contract is "this for that" The soldier fulfilled the that
There is no way for the Army to "make well" a soldier who has given up three years of their lives

one would assume.

That means you don't know what was in the contract but continue with your bullshit that they didn't meet the terms.
i know as much as anyone else.

and again, nobody is claiming the soldiers actually were largely eligible for the bonuses, they are only complaining that it's taken so long to catch the error

I am not blaming anyone but those in the Pentagon trying to make them pay back their bonuses....you, on the other hand, want to make sweeping accusations at libs.......and now you accuse libs for hating our military when many of us are vets.

Sounds like you only like our vets when it is convenient for your "cause".....while I would like all our vets to not be ripped off by the DoD.
On this matter, Libs and conservatives must come together in agreement. What is the cost? Something like $15 million? A pentagon general farts and it costs that much to clean up and spray.

Who committed the fraud? The soldiers? Or the state of California?
soldiers
How?
how? they put in for bonuses they weren't eligible for.
How would the soldiers know they were not eligible?
for one i guarantee the regulations were available to them.

second, it doesn't matter. if the dod overpays you for any reason you dont get to keep the money
Reenlistment is a contract. How many soldiers died during the enlistment peiod

second, it doesn't matter. if the dod overpays you for any reason you dont get to keep the money
inconsequential to their eligibility

I am not blaming anyone but those in the Pentagon trying to make them pay back their bonuses....you, on the other hand, want to make sweeping accusations at libs.......and now you accuse libs for hating our military when many of us are vets.

Sounds like you only like our vets when it is convenient for your "cause".....while I would like all our vets to not be ripped off by the DoD.
On this matter, Libs and conservatives must come together in agreement. What is the cost? Something like $15 million? A pentagon general farts and it costs that much to clean up and spray.
We agree on this.

We agree on this.
$15 million pays for a lot of schools.

A soldier in his 20s held up his end of the contract. Why can't the Army?

A soldier in his 20s held up his end of the contract. Why can't the Army?
the army is. what's wrong with that?

The Army has the ability to review each enlistment contract before it is approved and before a bonus check is paid. They elected not to do that

However, after the soldier has served the enlistment, is no time to review the eligibility of a soldier
A contract is "this for that" The soldier fulfilled the that
There is no way for the Army to "make well" a soldier who has given up three years of their lives
Agreed.

Sadly, the worst of it is, when the DoD determines you've been overpaid....they want it back...ALL AT ONCE...regardless of the hardship.

Forum List

Back