VICE News "Was Jesus Gay?"

The author proclaims that the Biblical admonition against men sleeping with other men has nothing to do with homosexuality. The author – a gay man – boldly states:

“There was no concept of sexual orientation, but there was a concept of gender. So, in the Bible, when a man sleeps with another man like with a woman, it's an abomination. See, the emphasis is on a man betraying his status: He has feminized himself. So it's a gender violation as opposed to a sexual violation.”

To suggest there was no concept of sexual orientation during the time of Christ is laughable. The concept pf homosexuality was known thousands of years before Christ's appearance, probable around the time of Adam and Eve. Here is the verse that the author claims is about a gender violation not a sexual violation:

“If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them” (Leviticus 20:13, KJV).

The author is claiming that a gender violation (not acting like a manly man) was worthy of death under Old Testament laws. I don't know how any reasonable person could believe such tripe. And now, dear readers, I am going to place the “disputed” verse in proper context so you can all make up your own minds whether or not the violation is a sexual one. The following is from the KJV with verse numbers eliminated for easier reading. The disputed verse is highlighted.

“And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death. And the man that lieth with his father's wife hath uncovered his father's nakedness: both of them shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them. And if a man lie with his daughter in law, both of them shall surely be put to death: they have wrought confusion; their blood shall be upon them. If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them. And if a man take a wife and her mother, it is wickedness: they shall be burnt with fire, both he and they; that there be no wickedness among you. And if a man lie with a beast, he shall surely be put to death: and ye shall slay the beast. And if a woman approach unto any beast, and lie down thereto, thou shalt kill the woman, and the beast: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them (Leviticus 20:10-16)

It is clear that the verses preceding and proceeding the disputed verse all have to do with sexual violations. It doesn't make sense to interrupt the obvious intent of the narrative to interject a comment about non-sexual manly behavior.

The author also states that the fact that Jesus never married suggests that He was gay. On this one I really have to say the author is either stupid, delusional or simply has an agenda and will say anything to promote it. First, everyone one of you know of straight men and women who prefer the single life. Second, even in Biblical times there were those who lived a single life for various reasons. Paul was single because he believed a single person would be more devoted to God than a married man who would share his devotion with his wife. Third, regardless of how you view the Biblical Christ you have to admit that any man who knew he would die at a very young age might not want to leave a wife and children behind. Fourth, If Christ was the Son of God (some Christians believe He was God Himself) what woman could possibly qualify to be His mate?

One more comment and I am done. The author states: “I would imagine Jesus loved all of his disciples, I mean he told everyone to love their neighbor. So, singling out a particular person as 'beloved' seems significant.” What the author finds to be significant I do not. The command to love everyone does not mean that one must love everyone else equally. It is only natural that some would be loved more than others; some would be beloved (dearly loved) and some loved less. In my lifetime I have heard of children, friends and even pets described as beloved. Only a pervert would find something sexual in these special relationships

Conclusion: What we have here is a gay guy who is doing what he can to show that the Bible is not critical of the gay lifestyle. In my own humble opinion, he failed miserable (OK, I lied about the humble part).

Actually I think the OP article is satire and the OP took it seriously. That the bit about worshiping a "ripped, hung man" was a blatant pun seems to have gone unnoticed.

You're probably right; at least I hope you're right. I guess I got caught in the trap too. Many thanks.

Not that it's particularly good satire -- needs work -- but it's hard, no pun intended, to read it as a serious point.

When you get to be my age (76) you will realize that many people are serious about some very silly and stupid things.

PS: No pun intended , my ass.

Once again, thanks for sharing your thoughts - your enlightend thoughts - with me.

It is not just Christians, but why do so many that try to use religion know so little about their text, subsequent religious books and history of their faith?

Neither the bible or quran stand along as the only and final word.

I wish people would actually learn their history instead of just trying to use their "book" as proof.

Gays have always been a part of history throughout the world. Why does "lay with" in every other context mean sex except when it's jesus? Why are people intentionally blind when Jesus did not turn away from healing or preaching to gays? Why do people choose to hate those that are different when Jesus didn't?
Why would Jesus embrace those on the fringes of society, except gays?

Was Jesus Gay? | VICE | United States

" After the Supreme Court's historic ruling on gay marriage, it seemed like all the proudly homophobic Christians came out of the woodwork to talk about how much they still hate gay people. As a straight Jew, the homophobia amongst Jesus's followers has always struck me as a bit of a surprise: Worshipping at the feet of a ripped, hung man, seems at least a little homoerotic. But it's Jesus himself who lights up my gaydar like a Christmas tree. He's a skinny young otter-like guy, flocked by a mess of dudes, telling everyone to love and care about each other, who later gets the shit beaten out of him by a bunch of closed-minded conservatives who are terrified of change.

As it turns out, this is not a unique theory. Dr. Reverend Bob Shore-Goss, an openly gay senior pastor, has written several books on the subject, including Queering Christ and Jesus ACTED UP: A Gay and Lesbian Manifesto. He holds a doctorate degree in Comparative Religion from Harvard, and he serves on the National Advisory Board of the Center for Lesbian and Gay Studies in Religion. Oh, and he believes that Jesus was gay. I got in touch with Reverend Goss, who laid out the Biblical evidence and explained how his theory plays out. "

rest at link

Since SO many wanna talk about gay stuff, fine, let's talk about gay stuff. :)

does it matter?

or do we just want to say that it is unlikely that jesus would approve of the loons using his name to defend bigotry??

Interesting how you call what God's word said about homosexuality bigotry. Are you saying God was a bigot?

" After the Supreme Court's historic ruling on gay marriage, it seemed like all the proudly homophobic Christians came out of the woodwork to talk about how much they still hate gay people. As a straight Jew, the homophobia amongst Jesus's followers has always struck me as a bit of a surprise: Worshipping at the feet of a ripped, hung man, seems at least a little homoerotic. But it's Jesus himself who lights up my gaydar like a Christmas tree. He's a skinny young otter-like guy, flocked by a mess of dudes, telling everyone to love and care about each other, who later gets the shit beaten out of him by a bunch of closed-minded conservatives who are terrified of change.

As it turns out, this is not a unique theory. Dr. Reverend Bob Shore-Goss, an openly gay senior pastor, has written several books on the subject, including Queering Christ and Jesus ACTED UP: A Gay and Lesbian Manifesto. He holds a doctorate degree in Comparative Religion from Harvard, and he serves on the National Advisory Board of the Center for Lesbian and Gay Studies in Religion. Oh, and he believes that Jesus was gay. I got in touch with Reverend Goss, who laid out the Biblical evidence and explained how his theory plays out. "

rest at link

does it matter?

or do we just want to say that it is unlikely that jesus would approve of the loons using his name to defend bigotry??

Interesting how you call what God's word said about homosexuality bigotry. Are you saying God was a bigot?

People who wrote the Bible were bigots and much worse. Never heard a peep from a god though. Lots of crap from people claiming to have heard from a deity though. But we usually put such people now in locked rooms for that sort of thing.

It is not just Christians, but why do so many that try to use religion know so little about their text, subsequent religious books and history of their faith?

I wish people would actually learn their history instead of just trying to use their "book" as proof.

Gays have always been a part of history throughout the world. Why does "lay with" in every other context mean sex except when it's jesus? Why are people intentionally blind when Jesus did not turn away from healing or preaching to gays? Why do people choose to hate those that are different when Jesus didn't?

Jesus didn't turn away from preaching to anyone. However, he didn't tolerate sin. Why do you think Jesus the Son, would tolerate what God the Father said was a sin?

rest at link

does it matter?

People who wrote the Bible were bigots and much worse. Never heard a peep from a god though. Lots of crap from people claiming to have heard from a deity though. But we usually put such people now in locked rooms for that sort of thing.

If that's all you have jew boy, you have nothing.

Jesus didn't turn away from preaching to anyone. However, he didn't tolerate sin. Why do you think Jesus the Son, would tolerate what God the Father said was a sin?

jesus didn't tolerate sin?

then how do you explain the whole "let he who is without sin cast the first stone"?

rest at link

does it matter?

jew boy?

the jews seem to understand jesus better than you do.

I have no problem whether Jesus was gay or not. I support gay marriage as well. However, I am not really fond of forcefully reaching (I mean, what are the proofs?) theories instead of actual verifiable facts.

rest at link

does it matter?

Least ya got that much right. But seriously? 'Jew boy?' What are you like 87 or something?

I have no problem whether Jesus was gay or not. I support gay marriage as well. However, I am not really fond of forcefully reaching (I mean, what are the proofs?) theories instead of actual verifiable facts.

forcefully? you mean forcibly, yes? the high court makes decisions all the time. it's the court's job to make sure that unconstitutional laws get struck down. that's all that happened here. the law violated the equal protection clause and the decision was consistent with the decision in loving v Virginia.

so what is it exactly that the court should have done? allowed bigotry to die. jim crow was struck down decades ago and would still win if put to a vote in certain parts of the country.

rest at link

does it matter?

jew boy?

the jews seem to understand jesus better than you do.

Apparently not since the Jewish leaders constantly tried to trick Jesus and the Jews didn't realize who Jesus was.

jesus didn't tolerate sin?

then how do you explain the whole "let he who is without sin cast the first stone"?

So Jesus said "Don't stone her"? He said let whichever one of you hasn't sinned throw the first one. Jesus also didn't say continue to be an adulterer.

Most of those who followed him were sinners or outcasts. The point was that Jesus set himself up as a sacrifice to wipe way their sin.

We know that being gay is biological, DNA and brain chemistry from birth. How does someone made by "god" to be gay labeled a sinner?
Gays have been around through history in the animal and human kingdoms.

Most of those who followed him were sinners or outcasts. The point was that Jesus set himself up as a sacrifice to wipe way their sin.

We know that being gay is biological, DNA and brain chemistry from birth. How does someone made by "god" to be gay labeled a sinner?

How can you know something that doesn't have definitive proof? You want to believe it.

God didn't make anyone gay. If you say so, explain to me why a God that allows people choice and free will would create someone in a manner He considers an abomination and for which eternal punishment is what He said then not give them a choice in the matter.

If you want to put someone on the same level as a male dog that humps another male dog, be my guest.

How can you know something that doesn't have definitive proof? You want to believe it.

God didn't make anyone gay. If you say so, explain to me why a God that allows people choice and free will would create someone in a manner He considers an abomination and for which eternal punishment is what He said then not give them a choice in the matter.

If you want to put someone on the same level as a male dog that humps another male dog, be my guest.

Being gay is not free will, it is what they were born to be. "Being gay" is not a matter of experimentation of a young adult but physical attraction for the same sex and not for the opposite. DNA can determine sexuality, not just sex. If there is a god, yes, he/she/it created humans that way. It is not a choice. Trying not to be gay is a choice that some have struggled with but their true nature is still there.

Being gay is not free will, it is what they were born to be. "Being gay" is not a matter of experimentation of a young adult but physical attraction for the same sex and not for the opposite. DNA can determine sexuality, not just sex. If there is a god, yes, he/she/it created humans that way. It is not a choice. Trying not to be gay is a choice that some have struggled with but their true nature is still there.

Until you can provide absolute, undeniable truth about you claim of being born gay, it's nothing more than an opinion.

Forum List

Back