Virginia gun control law kept AR-15 out of hands of DC shooter

BTW, it is stupid to think that an AR-15 is more deadly than a shotgun that fires multiple rounds that are larger than what an AR-15 puts out every single shot.

An AR-15 would be significantly more deadly than a shotgun. A shotgun is pretty much the worst gun to use if some whacko went on a shooting spree. They only hold about 5-7 rounds, are slow and cumbersome to reload, and have a fairly limited range. An AR can have 100 round drum mags that can be changed out in under a second.

You could hose down 100 AR rounds before you could maybe get off 12 with a shotgun.

Funny, this guy managed to shoot almost 30 people with a shotgun, killing roughly half of them, and you want me to believe that a .22 is more deadly.

Most were done by the handguns he got after he killed the armed guards.

Also an AR-15 is 5.56, not .22 Should learn about things before posting :up:

Everyone knows that the guy was crazy. Everyone agrees that he should have had a record of being too unstable to buy a gun. The issue is that the Virginia law requiring that since he lived in another state, he would have to purchase the gun in that state in accordance with that state's waiting period and background check, which kept him from getting a more lethal weapon in Virginia.

He never tried to buy an AR. So stop claiming he did.

NOPE

Aaron Alexis tried to buy assault rifle but was unable to - CBS News

Backing up the same lie with a lie is still lying.

An AR-15 would be significantly more deadly than a shotgun. A shotgun is pretty much the worst gun to use if some whacko went on a shooting spree. They only hold about 5-7 rounds, are slow and cumbersome to reload, and have a fairly limited range. An AR can have 100 round drum mags that can be changed out in under a second.

You could hose down 100 AR rounds before you could maybe get off 12 with a shotgun.

Funny, this guy managed to shoot almost 30 people with a shotgun, killing roughly half of them, and you want me to believe that a .22 is more deadly.

Most were done by the handguns he got after he killed the armed guards.

Also an AR-15 is 5.56, not .22 Should learn about things before posting :up:

You know this because they released ballistics from every victim, or do you know it because it fits your preconceived notions that shotguns are safe?

What is the use of laws if the cops and other authorities refuse to do their jobs? This nut called police 6 weeks ago and told them he was hearing voices. He should have been taken right to a mental hospital. Also the cops reported this to the Navy. Yet they didn't do anything about it.
We can thank the libs for him not being taken to a mental hospital. As for the Navy?
Actually you have Mr. Conservative, Ronald Reagan, to thank for it. Because he closed all the mental hospitals, including any of those which could have accommodated Aaron Alexis and other mass shooters in the past -- and those who might emerge in the future because there is no place to properly contain them. Ronald Reagan dumped thousands of crazies onto the public streets.

Ronald Reagan, The Man From General Electric, a professional faker and tool of the corporatocracy, was one of the worst things that ever happened to this Nation.

You seem to forget that the ACLU sued to have those in mental health hospitals released.

Reagan just happened to be President when it happened.

What is the use of laws if the cops and other authorities refuse to do their jobs? This nut called police 6 weeks ago and told them he was hearing voices. He should have been taken right to a mental hospital. Also the cops reported this to the Navy. Yet they didn't do anything about it.
We can thank the libs for him not being taken to a mental hospital. As for the Navy?
Actually you have Mr. Conservative, Ronald Reagan, to thank for it. Because he closed all the mental hospitals, including any of those which could have accommodated Aaron Alexis and other mass shooters in the past -- and those who might emerge in the future because there is no place to properly contain them. Ronald Reagan dumped thousands of crazies onto the public streets.

Ronald Reagan, The Man From General Electric, a professional faker and tool of the corporatocracy, was one of the worst things that ever happened to this Nation.

You seem to forget that the ACLU sued to have those in mental health hospitals released.

BS, the GOP has been at war with helping those in need for decades, and mental health care has taken the brunt of most of the attacks.

I'm sure that you will let us know when that happens. In the meantime, I trust CBS news more than the source that said that he was not refused permission to buy the gun in Virginia... which was, (and I am NOT making this up!) the "Hot Air" blog, as well as a blog called the Washington Times..

Last edited:
BTW, it is stupid to think that an AR-15 is more deadly than a shotgun that fires multiple rounds that are larger than what an AR-15 puts out every single shot.

By the way, 12 shotgun rounds with 9 pellets per round is 108 shots with the AR-15.

Except that all 9 come out at once and at 15 yards only make a pattern about a foot in diameter. you don't get to spread them across 9 people.

That's 2 out of 2 that support the mentally deranged having access to any guns they desire.

NYfraudineer 2, Strawmen 0

Since you don't support background checks, you must support crazy people being able to buy guns,

since without background checks, the seller can't know who's certified or not.

Don't try to weasel out of your beliefs. Your weaseling has become a colossal bore around here.

I do not support background checks.

That's 2 out of 2 that support the mentally deranged having access to any guns they desire.

The shooter had no criminal convictions and was not judged mentally deranged by any Doctor or mental institution. How do you stop him from buying a gun?

This is the problem with the countries gun laws being so lax, a nutjob like Alexis was able to get a gun to go on a shooting spree, legally.

Mental health professionals should have the ability to report to the ATF so the mentally ill can not get guns.

As it is now, you have to be found mentally incompetent by a judge for that to happen, which means you have to commit a crime first before they do that.

and it is going to stay that way.

NYfraudineer 2, Strawmen 0

Since you don't support background checks, you must support crazy people being able to buy guns,

Don't try to weasel out of your beliefs. Your weaseling has become a colossal bore around here.

You're an extremist. Extremists get to shout, but they don't get to run the country, unless of course our country is in freefall towards oblivion.

and who are you to decide who is mentally deranged and who is not?

If you don't believe anyone has the right to decide anything then you must be content with anarchy.

You have a problem.

you definitely do not have that right :D

but I understand your inability to grasp why it is impermissible, what your obsessed with gun derangement syndromes mind wants to impose.

Not going to happen.

and who are you to decide who is mentally deranged and who is not?

If you don't believe anyone has the right to decide anything then you must be content with anarchy.

You have a problem.

He did not say that. The law is clear it takes a Judge to adjudicate you are mentally incompetent. And it better stay that way. Or is it ok with you if the right when in power gets to decide all you lefties are bat shit crazy?

• Thanks
Reactions: Vox

You're an extremist. Extremists get to shout, but they don't get to run the country, unless of course our country is in freefall towards oblivion.

it is YOU who are an extremist.

I am a constitutional conservative.

And I know all too well the will of the government and it's strangulation power if only you let them.

which I fully agree with in this instance.

I'm sure that you will let us know when that happens. In the meantime, I trust CBS news more than the source that said that he was not refused permission to buy the gun in Virginia... which was, (and I am NOT making this up!) the "Hot Air" blog, as well as a blog called the Washington Times..

I have to chose between an article naming people, and one not naming people, as sources.

Guess which one makes the most sense to honest people?

How do I know you are not honest? I read HotAir, and I know that they questioned the story. They even pointed to what the NPR said about how, after checking out botha shotgun and an AR-15, he went through the required background checks and bought the shotgun.

Did the Navy Yard shooter try to buy an AR-15? « Hot Air

But, by all means, keep pretending you are honest, it amuses me.

By the way, 12 shotgun rounds with 9 pellets per round is 108 shots with the AR-15.

Except that all 9 come out at once and at 15 yards only make a pattern about a foot in diameter. you don't get to spread them across 9 people.

He was firing from the third floor down on a first floor cafeteria area, the spread is a bit more than 12 inches at that distance.

Want to try again?

Forum List

Back