Virginia Senate Passes Bill Scrapping Lee-Jackson Day As A State Holiday

Regardless of one's views on the Civil War and on ethnic relations, this news in the OP is very significant.

Virginia was the heart of the Confederacy and General Robert E. Lee was always one of the most respected Americans in both South and North. When I was a teenager in the1950s here in Los Angeles, he was held to be a true Southern gentleman.

That fact that even Virginia will no longer honor him is earthshaking. It shows that a lot of people are now moving into the state and changing the local culture.

Yes, America is a-changing. Some think for the better; some think for the worse. But everyone agrees that it is changing.

First thing Chairman Mao did when he took over was to direct his subservient hoards to remove and destroy any reminder of China's pre-communist past; churches, temples, museums, books, statues, and murder teachers.

Today's lefty liberals are embracing this same commie agenda. .. :cool:

There is no balance here. There is no Abraham Lincoln Parkway or Sherman Pike. There is even a statute of a confederate soldier at a major intersection, but no statute of a Union soldier. It's all one-half history, not history. Whoever was responsible for this wanted to glorify the creeps and nothing more.

Only decent folks, people whom Americans can look up to, should be honored in public space. I am not of African heritage, but I wonder what Americans who are of African descent think when they look at this stuff, and how they explain it to their children. Alexandria had a thriving slave market, but there is no monument to those held captive and sold there.

Regardless of one's views on the Civil War and on ethnic relations, this news in the OP is very significant.

Virginia was the heart of the Confederacy and General Robert E. Lee was always one of the most respected Americans in both South and North. When I was a teenager in the1950s here in Los Angeles, he was held to be a true Southern gentleman.

That fact that even Virginia will no longer honor him is earthshaking. It shows that a lot of people are now moving into the state and changing the local culture.

Yes, America is a-changing. Some think for the better; some think for the worse. But everyone agrees that it is changing.

The "southern gentleman" thing is a stereotype. Lee was only one single person, just like you and I. I don't think that a nameless person sold at the market in Old Town Alexandria would honor him, if we could go back in time and interview him or her. Would lee have picked cotton in the sun all day for no pay, or endured beatings or seeing his children sold away from him? I doubt it. There is no reason to honor lee. He could not have endured what he took part in forcing others to endure.

The "southern gentleman" thing is a stereotype. Lee was only one single person, just like you and I. I don't think that a nameless person sold at the market in Old Town Alexandria would honor him, if we could go back in time and interview him or her. Would lee have picked cotton in the sun all day for no pay, or endured beatings or seeing his children sold away from him? I doubt it. There is no reason to honor lee. He could not have endured what he took part in forcing others to endure.

Actually Lee would have objected to the whole thing. He pointedly counseled not memorializing him/it. He would have torn his own statues down.

Which says more about the agenda of the propagandists using his name than it does about Lee.

First thing Chairman Mao did when he took over was to direct his subservient hoards to remove and destroy any reminder of China's pre-communist past; churches, temples, museums, books, statues, and murder teachers.

There is no balance here. There is no Abraham Lincoln Parkway or Sherman Pike. There is even a statute of a confederate soldier at a major intersection, but no statute of a Union soldier. It's all one-half history, not history. Whoever was responsible for this wanted to glorify the creeps and nothing more.

Yep, that's the Cult of the Lost Cause. Responsible for all that revisionist-history mythology from "The Clansman" and "Birth of a Nation" to the hundreds of statues to "Gone With the Wind". Including school textbooks,

Only decent folks, people whom Americans can look up to, should be honored in public space. I am not of African heritage, but I wonder what Americans who are of African descent think when they look at this stuff, and how they explain it to their children. Alexandria had a thriving slave market, but there is no monument to those held captive and sold there.

That's exactly the point Wynton Marsalis made to the city's mayor when they were considering taking down Lost Cause monuments.

The point is well taken --- statues are not there to house "history", ergo it's not possible to "erase history" by their nonpresence. Statues and monuments are there to glorify. And that is what gets removed.

RICHMOND, Va. (WSET) -- A bill that would scrap the state's Lee-Jackson holiday, celebrating two Confederate generals, has passed the Virginia Senate. Governor Ralph Northam has also proposed to make Election Day a state holiday so that every Virginian has the time and opportunity to cast their ballot.

Senate votes to scrap Lee-Jackson Day in Virginia, make Election Day state holiday

Times are changing fast boys and girls.
Sounds good; both were war criminals

RICHMOND, Va. (WSET) -- A bill that would scrap the state's Lee-Jackson holiday, celebrating two Confederate generals, has passed the Virginia Senate. Governor Ralph Northam has also proposed to make Election Day a state holiday so that every Virginian has the time and opportunity to cast their ballot.

Senate votes to scrap Lee-Jackson Day in Virginia, make Election Day state holiday

I think election day being a state holiday is more important than a holiday celebrating traitors...

I think election day should be a federal holiday....it insures a higher voter turn out -- something that scares Republicans shit less...

Swing and a miss!!

Maybe for your next reach......you can compare those who oppose honoring traitors to Germans who opposed honoring Nazis

You can do it!!

z-dogiphy.gif

Actually Lee would have objected to the whole thing. He pointedly counseled not memorializing him/it. He would have torn his own statues down.

Which says more about the agenda of the propagandists using his name than it does about Lee.

Thank you. I did hear that he was troubled, emotionally. I'm talking about the human, not the icon. In the 80's, I got a picture of Sherman at a shop in Nags Head. I had it in my office and people asked me why it was there. It was that I saw a troubled, conflicted face. Someone whom I would have liked to sit down and talk to, had he and I been alive at the same time and facing the same circumstances. I saw suffering. Perhaps it was the same for Lee.

One thing that we don't do is use our imaginations to walk in the shoes of other human beings who were there at the specified point in time. I'm so happy that FDR put together works projects that allowed people who experienced slavery to be interviewed about their experiences, feelings, and memories. They were real people. The same as the people who died at Auschwitz. Those dead and gone leave teaching and wisdom.

Sounds good; both were war criminals

No, they were not. Talk about revisionism.

When every warrior is a war criminal, none are war criminals.

I think election day being a state holiday is more important than a holiday celebrating traitors...

I think election day should be a federal holiday....it insures a higher voter turn out -- something that scares Republicans shit less...

Why should election day be a holiday if early voting is allowed?

One or the other, not both.

Yep, that's the Cult of the Lost Cause. Responsible for all that revisionist-history mythology from "The Clansman" and "Birth of a Nation" to the hundreds of statues to "Gone With the Wind". Including school textbooks,

That's exactly the point Wynton Marsalis made to the city's mayor when they were considering taking down Lost Cause monuments.

The point is well taken --- statues are not there to house "history", ergo it's not possible to "erase history" by their nonpresence. Statues and monuments are there to glorify. And that is what gets removed.

Brilliant speech by Mitch Landrieu. We are One People, United.

"we are one people, united" unless you disagree with us, then off to the gulags with you.

"we are one people, united" unless you disagree with us, then off to the gulags with you.

Tell me where these "gulags". Is someone dragging you out of your house? Where do you live? Who is doing this? Who is hurting you? Give some specifics. Where are you at? Who is coming to take you away?

Tell me where these "gulags". Is someone dragging you out of your house? Where do you live? Who is doing this? Who is hurting you? Give some specifics. Where are you at? Who is coming to take you away?

Just because you can't do it just yet, doesn't mean you don't want to. Those Bernie supporters weren't outliers, it's how you SJW soi boi's actually think.

Forum List

Back