vivek ramaswamy calls juneteenth a useless holiday.

On Dec 25, we Celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. On Juneteenth, nothing at all happened. They celebrate what actually happened on April 9.
See the difference?

Except Jesus probably wasn't born on Dec. 25th.
He may not have existed at all.

Agree.

And I get what Ramaswamy means, as he explains it, he makes a good point, with a respect that is lacking in many responses. For me, it’s a holiday…why get pissed off?

“I think that if we made a national commemorative holiday for everything that’s happened in our history, we’d have no working days left,” he said. “But I think the spirit of Juneteenth we already channeled into other holidays, like Martin Luther King Day, like Presidents Day. I think we can commemorate the spirit of that holiday separately.

“So I think that we shouldn’t have redundant holidays that celebrate overlapping purposes, it should have a distinctive purpose,” Ramaswamy added. “And I think, let’s be honest, the reason for making that a holiday was under political duress, as a political hostage situation on the back of the death of George Floyd. And I think that that is not how we create holidays. We should not create holidays with a cultural gun to our head. And that’s what happened.”

To listen to people here you would think every other day is a national holiday but there really aren’t that many. And looking at the list….why have Columbus day?

Holidays
  • New Year's Day January 1.
  • Martin Luther King's Birthday 3rd Monday in January.
  • Washington's Birthday 3rd Monday in February.
  • Memorial Day last Monday in May.
  • Juneteenth National Independence Day June 19.
  • Independence Day July 4.
  • Labor Day 1st Monday in September.
  • Columbus Day 2nd Monday in October.

But only half of those we get off, if you don't work for a bank or a government agency.

We can add Veteran's Day to that list.

Days we get off - New years, Memorial Day, July 4, Labor Day, thanksgiving and Christmas.

Days we don't get off, just government workers - MLK Day, President's Day, Juneteenth, Columbus Day, Veteran's Day.

When they were first talking about MLK Day, I wistfully wondered how long it became like President's Day and Columbus Day, where we forget the man and just use it as an excuse to have a day off and sales. I remarked, how long before we had an MLK Day White Sale.

Well... a couple years ago, I heard a radio station promoting an MLK Day sale!

But only half of those we get off, if you don't work for a bank or a government agency.

Days we get off - New years, Memorial Day, July 4, Labor Day, thanksgiving and Christmas.

Days we don't get off, just government workers - MLK Day, President's Day, Juneteenth, Columbus Day, Veteran's Day.
Yup, same here.

When they were first talking about MLK Day, I wistfully wondered how long it became like President's Day and Columbus Day, where we forget the man and just use it as an excuse to have a day off and sales. I remarked, how long before we had an MLK Day White Sale.

Well... a couple years ago, I heard a radio station promoting an MLK Day sale!
Oh geez….never lose an opportunity to make a sale….most holidays seem to revolve around relentless consumption.

What is useless about commemorating the end of slavery?
We've already got Martin Luther King Jr. Day (a federal holiday).
There's also Black History Month.
There's no Asian History Month.
There's no American Indian Month.
There's no Hispanic History Month.
There's no Jewish History Month.
There's no Caucasian History Month.
Blacks don't need more. They're not special human beings.
As for slavery, it's been dead since the 1865.

We've already got Martin Luther King Jr. Day (a federal holiday).
There's also Black History Month.
There's no Asian History Month.
There's no American Indian Month.
There's no Hispanic History Month.
There's no Jewish History Month.
There's no Caucasian History Month.
Blacks don't need more. They're not special human beings.
As for slavery, it's been dead since the 1865.
tissue?

What about poor white people?

Days we don't get off, just government workers - MLK Day, President's Day, Juneteenth, Columbus Day, Veteran's Day

I worked for the Federal Government and got those days off

Days I didn’t get off that most of the private sector got off

Good Friday, Day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, New Years Eve

Jimmy Carter could do Calculus
Yes....I forgot...he was also quite literate. I absolutely cringe anytime I hear someone like Trump or Biden or even Bush take the podium... I mean it's just humiliating. To his credit Obama was a fairly smooth speaker. Not too sure about his intellectual depth though. But yes Carter was greatly underestimated.
I would really like to see somebody come forward that is not associated with a party. Unfortunately the way the system is set up the two parties work together to keep others out.

Last edited:
Yes....I forgot...he was also quite literate. I absolutely cringe anytime I hear someone like Trump or Biden or even Bush take the podium... I mean it's just humiliating. To his credit Obama was a fairly smooth speaker. Not too sure about his intellectual depth though. But yes Carter was greatly underestimated.
I would really like to see somebody come forward that is not associated with a party. Unfortunately the way the system is set up the two parties work together to keep others out.
Bill Clinton was also very intelligent
Rhodes Scholar

I believe you have him confused with your racist ancestors who raped black women and black men.
No. King's drinking and partying were well known. If he had not been assassinated, the Rev Ralph Abernathy was going to go to the police with evidence of King's embezzling from the Ebenezer Church to fund his habits.

Martin Luther King Jr was a bad man and an evil human being. I remember him very well. He was too drunk to even write his own speeches. His I have a dream speech was plagiarized.

No. King's drinking and partying were well known. If he had not been assassinated, the Rev Ralph Abernathy was going to go to the police with evidence of King's embezzling from the Ebenezer Church to fund his habits.
A lie doesn't care who tells it, that's the job of a racist tramp like you to bad mouth a black man who helped change the course of this country.
Martin Luther King Jr was a bad man and an evil human being. I remember him very well. He was too drunk to even write his own speeches. His I have a dream speech was plagiarized.
He must have turned your nasty ass down and now you are mad. GFY.

should have stayed in texas were it happened at. it was just made by dems to sepporate us all. . he is right.
Have you done any research on this guy? He loved it before he started running and he always voted and contributed big to dems.

When interest in the civil rights movement started to wane, King needed outrage to spark interest. He planned a children's march in Birmingham. Bull Connor was a known madman with a penchant for cruelty. He had just lost his election and had only a few days left in office. It was during these last few days that piece of crap King set the children's march. Other civil rights leaders plead with King to not put the children in danger. In a few days Connor would be gone and his successor supported civil rights. Sympathy meant money and money meant more booze and whores.

King sent those black children out to face a maniac. Bull Connor blasted those children with firehouse and turned dogs to attack.

Martin Luther King Jr was overjoyed.

Yea, I know...you hated MLK......most conservatives did....

I bet you are just pissed off that he so thoroughly defeated you pieces of shit -- that your fellow conservatives have to pretend to admire him today...

But not you, you vowed to stay a racist piece of shit until the end..which is why you remain in the GOP...right where racist pieces of shit feel welcomed...

Forum List

Back