vivek ramaswamy calls juneteenth a useless holiday.

What is useless about commemorating the end of slavery?

Wasn't the end of slavery why the fuck don't you learn what exactly happened on that day and why it was such a nothingburger.

It is a celebration of the end of slavery
On June 18th there were still slaves, on June 19th there were not

Wrong. On June 18th there were no slaves, but the old slaves hadn't been informed that they were free. June 19th they got the email.

It's a bullshit holiday.

Wasn't the end of slavery why the fuck don't you learn what exactly happened on that day and why it was such a nothingburger.

Wrong. On June 18th there were no slaves, but the old slaves hadn't been informed that they were free. June 19th they got the email.

It's a bullshit holiday.

Guess what…they were still slaves
Regardless…..Juneteenth celebrates the end of slavery

A worthy holiday

Guess what…they were still slaves
Regardless…..Juneteenth celebrates the end of slavery

A worthy holiday

Passed by Congress on January 31, 1865, and ratified on December 6, 1865, the 13th Amendment abolished slavery in the United States.

Why should something that passed on Jan 31st and ratified on Dec 6th be celebrated on June 19th?

He's definitely not my favorite candidate, but he got this one right. As far as holidays go, it is a joke. Whatever happened to getting off work on both Washington's and Lincoln's birthday?

---Republican presidential candidate Vivek Ramaswamy has called for replacing Juneteenth with Election Day as a national holiday, deriding the celebration of the end of slavery in the US as “useless.”---

He's definitely not my favorite candidate, but he got this one right. As far as holidays go, it is a joke. Whatever happened to getting off work on both Washington's and Lincoln's birthday?

---Republican presidential candidate Vivek Ramaswamy has called for replacing Juneteenth with Election Day as a national holiday, deriding the celebration of the end of slavery in the US as “useless.”---

Why celebrate Election Day when it really is Election Month?

Isn't it? Soros (tax exempt) media matters must be working overtime these days.

you obviously dont get the harm it is doing the country.
It isn't doing any harm to the country, white racist whine the same way when they made Dr King's birthday a national holiday. Funny how you racist bitch and moan about these holidays, but you damn sure take the day off when they come around.

Passed by Congress on January 31, 1865, and ratified on December 6, 1865, the 13th Amendment abolished slavery in the United States.

Why should something that passed on Jan 31st and ratified on Dec 6th be celebrated on June 19th?
Why? Easily answered by looking up the history.

It isn't doing any harm to the country, white racist whine the same way when they made Dr King's birthday a national holiday. Funny how you racist bitch and moan about these holidays, but you damn sure take the day off when they come around.
Agree.

And I get what Ramaswamy means, as he explains it, he makes a good point, with a respect that is lacking in many responses. For me, it’s a holiday…why get pissed off?

“I think that if we made a national commemorative holiday for everything that’s happened in our history, we’d have no working days left,” he said. “But I think the spirit of Juneteenth we already channeled into other holidays, like Martin Luther King Day, like Presidents Day. I think we can commemorate the spirit of that holiday separately.

“So I think that we shouldn’t have redundant holidays that celebrate overlapping purposes, it should have a distinctive purpose,” Ramaswamy added. “And I think, let’s be honest, the reason for making that a holiday was under political duress, as a political hostage situation on the back of the death of George Floyd. And I think that that is not how we create holidays. We should not create holidays with a cultural gun to our head. And that’s what happened.”

To listen to people here you would think every other day is a national holiday but there really aren’t that many. And looking at the list….why have Columbus day?

Holidays
  • New Year's Day January 1.
  • Martin Luther King's Birthday 3rd Monday in January.
  • Washington's Birthday 3rd Monday in February.
  • Memorial Day last Monday in May.
  • Juneteenth National Independence Day June 19.
  • Independence Day July 4.
  • Labor Day 1st Monday in September.
  • Columbus Day 2nd Monday in October.

Forum List

Back