Waitaminute. Isn't the IRS Supposed to Watch Out for Tax Cheats?

This IRS targeting information came out in the Fall of the 2012 hearings and was buried. The mainstream news did not mention it at all.
They knew that it would come to light after the fall elections.

Cheating on one's taxes is one of the more common crimes in America. The IRS has every right to scrutinize tax exemption applications and they have the right to apply that scrutiny on a non-random basis, iow,

using methods to sort out applications that are more likely to be questionable than others.

They do that all the time auditing tax returns.

What they can't do is apply any screen that intentionally attempts to identify applications for tax exemption in a way that targets groups of a particular partisan affiliation.

Which is exactly what was done here.

Assuming that the screening was done with the intent of targeting conservative groups.

Gee whiz Wally, why would we think it was deliberately aimed at conservatives?

• They targeted groups based on the fact that their names sounded conservative.
  • They did not investigate any group with names that included the word progressive.
  • The IG said that they went after conservative groups.
  • The IRS admitted that they targeted conservative groups.
Yep, we still have no idea whether they were targeting conservative groups.

Which is exactly what was done here.

Assuming that the screening was done with the intent of targeting conservative groups.

Gee whiz Wally, why would we think it was deliberately aimed at conservatives?

• They targeted groups based on the fact that their names sounded conservative.
  • They did not investigate any group with names that included the word progressive.
  • The IG said that they went after conservative groups.
  • The IRS admitted that they targeted conservative groups.
Yep, we still have no idea whether they were targeting conservative groups.
But the head of the IRS said he didnt think it was politically motivated!

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Cheating on one's taxes is one of the more common crimes in America. The IRS has every right to scrutinize tax exemption applications and they have the right to apply that scrutiny on a non-random basis, iow,

using methods to sort out applications that are more likely to be questionable than others.

What they can't do is apply any screen that intentionally attempts to identify applications for tax exemption in a way that targets groups of a particular partisan affiliation.

Ironic this is happening now.

It appears I am a victim of identity theft.
After weeks and weeks of waiting for my refund I find out someone "may"
have filed a return using my SS #. The IRS agent was vague about that.

I have done some research and it seems that in past cases the IRS will not cut a new check to the victim of the identity theft.

So we have this big tough as nails organization (the IRS) who has big balls to go after
the hard working American who tries to squeeze a few extra dollars out of the government by using the tax laws to his/her advantage.When the criminals file a bogus return the IRS asks "will that be cash or check"....

I have no idea what's going to happen.The IRS still hasn't told me officially what happened.All I know is I filed Federal and State on March 16th and have nothing to show for it.

Thanks IRS.... :evil:

That totally sucks! Don't even get me started though...I had my personal information invaded and credit card information stolen three times in the last 4 years. And unless you are out an ungodly amount of money at the time. Law enforcement doesn't even really care.

Ironic this is happening now.

It appears I am a victim of identity theft.
After weeks and weeks of waiting for my refund I find out someone "may"
have filed a return using my SS #. The IRS agent was vague about that.

I have done some research and it seems that in past cases the IRS will not cut a new check to the victim of the identity theft.

So we have this big tough as nails organization (the IRS) who has big balls to go after
the hard working American who tries to squeeze a few extra dollars out of the government by using the tax laws to his/her advantage.When the criminals file a bogus return the IRS asks "will that be cash or check"....

I have no idea what's going to happen.The IRS still hasn't told me officially what happened.All I know is I filed Federal and State on March 16th and have nothing to show for it.

Thanks IRS.... :evil:

You should contact the Office of the Inspector General, and your congressional representative. But definitely the OIG. You might check about getting your SS number changed while you still have anything to your name.

Last edited:
If the IRS is supposed to watch out for tax cheats, it of course has no business also being involved in health care because then you end up with the IRS seizing the health care records of 60 million people who have no connection with tax cheating at all.

Unless you have a $100,000 health care claim and they want to tax that as income. :eusa_shhh:

Honestly, I can't believe people don't see the angles here. If medical treatment doesn't bankrupt you because you have insurance, the IRS will when they tax what your insurance pays as income.

Last edited:
Waitaminute. Isn't the IRS Supposed to Watch Out for Tax Cheats? | Crooks and Liars

Makes sense since the tea party is against taxes in the first place and has a big history of tax abuse/evasion among many of it's members.

The real scandal was allowing them to have that tax exemption in the first place.

It doesn't matter if the Tea Party is more likely to cheat on their taxes than any other group of people, solely because they are against taxes. You still cannot retroactively target them because they have a particular political belief.

This would be like the police targeting blacks because they are more likely to commit crimes. This would be like the Department of Homeland Security targeting Muslims because they are more likely to commit attacks of Terrorism.

You are not allowed to discriminate based on race, gender, religion or personal beliefs. This would be profiling, and that is wrong.

well, let's see, this is from a lesson plan on the US govt's website for kids relating to the role of the President -

The president's principal roles:

•Approve federal laws (bills) created by Congress (Senate and House of Representatives), which is the legislative branch of government
•Lead the nation's people, making sure citizens obey the laws and setting priorities for the country, including helping the Congress decide how the budget is spent
•Manage the government, making sure that decisions and programs are being carried out effectively, with the help of the vice president and appointed cabinet members who head different departments (agriculture, commerce, defense, education, energy, health and human services, housing and urban development, interior, justice, labor, state, transportation, treasury, veterans affairs)

The President's Roles and Responsibilities: Understanding the President's Job | EDSITEment

The President is commander-in-chief. Should he go to prison for the Ft. Hood shootings?

when did I state Obama should go to prison?

You wanted the buck to stop with the President for everything that happens to anyone anywhere in the executive branch,

correct?

Why would the buck stop with President Obama?

Isn't he the President of the United States?

A Bush appointee that Obama inherits from the previous administration is running the IRS when this happens.

Why wouldn't the buck stop at his desk, on its upward trajectory?

You are half right. The guy was a Bush appointee, but Obama chose to keep him. The director of the IRS serves at the pleasure of the president, and can be dismissed at any time for no reason at all.

That said, it really doesn't matter if Obama had a chance to fire him or not, he is still president, and the buck still stops with him.

Not if it comes to taking responsibility for bad things. When that happens George W Bush is president.

401842_586512578048668_227153173_n_zps43ec7182.jpg

A Bush appointee that Obama inherits from the previous administration is running the IRS when this happens.

Why wouldn't the buck stop at his desk, on its upward trajectory?

Because believe it or not, his boss is Obama now. Not Bush. So um, what is your point exactly? The buck stops with whomever happens to be the sitting president at the time of the incident.

Forum List

Back