Waitress Receives A Penny For Her Services

So someone carries out a ice tea and a burger I pay a small percent, next time they carry out a steak and a beer and I am supposed to pay more because the meal cost more despite the fact the waitress did the exact same amount work in both scenarios? "Pay more for your meal so pay a bigger tip", fuck that.
Agreed, proper etiquette historically said no tip for alcoholic purchases because the price was inflated and taxed. Now it is expected to be paid. That is ridiculous, you have a dinner for two that comes to $60 and a bottle of wine that comes to $35 (which you could buy for $10 in a store) and you are expected to pay a $18 tip instead of $11 that covers the food that was made and delivered? SMFH.

You have a point about some of the overpriced places, I also hate to pay for a corking fee when I try to bring my own wine just to save a few bucks when I do go to a fancier place. And I agree about taking care of the more frequent non chain, favorite places I frequent, they get the bigger tips all the time.
Years ago in Utah, alcohol had regulations for serving. You needed to belong to a 'key club' and take
your own hooch in, they would cork it and poor it, you paid for the corking and the mix. You had to
either drink the entire bottle, or you would have to leave it when you left.
Just a rabbit trail

When it's crawfish season our waiter makes sure we get the jumbo crawfish and none of the little pissant ones.

The little private lake I lived on in Boise was AMAZING for the Craws. For several years I didn't even realize they were there until my neighbor dropped a trap over the dock.

Yeah, let the little guys go. The big ones looked like small lobsters. There was even a little bite out of those big claws. We had some great neighborhood boils! 😋

crawfish-boil-thumb.jpg

Glad to hear this, the surgeries have come a long ways from the 6-8 inch scars.
Indeed, two tiny incisions .. stitches underneath and they just dissolve when it's time. Nurse called me this morning and even she was amazed. Guess they anticipated a bit more pain.

My ortho guy was authorized to operated in three hospitals but two of them have COVID wards and Idaho is Crisis Standards until at least 11/20. This tiny one has no COVID ward so we got in pretty quick. They couldn't have been nicer or more professional.

Years ago in Utah, alcohol had regulations for serving. You needed to belong to a 'key club' and take
your own hooch in, they would cork it and poor it, you paid for the corking and the mix. You had to
Just a rabbit trail

Thats crazy!!
In Texas if you buy a bottle of wine in a restaurant and dont finish it you can take it with you.
I do however remember the blue law days here. You couldnt buy much of anything on Sunday.
They just recently passed a law allowing Texans to buy beer before noon on Sundays. Not being able to buy beer before noon on Sunday wasnt that big of a deal,you just knew to buy it the day before so you weren't at the store when kickoff time came around.

Then don't leave a tip. I usually leave a very generous tip if the service is good. That
will make up for the cheapskates
Same. At the same time though I don't necessarily think certain servers deserve way more money just for working at a fancy restaurant. That old lady busting her ass at IHOP deserves a good tip just as much as some good looking young person working at a fancier place. Like, that was nice of the server to bring me my high quality food and wine, but their service isn't more valuable just because I'm paying more money for the items they're serving me.

The little private lake I lived on in Boise was AMAZING for the Craws. For several years I didn't even realize they were there until my neighbor dropped a trap over the dock.

Yeah, let the little guys go. The big ones looked like small lobsters. There was even a little bite out of those big claws. We had some great neighborhood boils! 😋

crawfish-boil-thumb.jpg

Boise Idaho?

No, it's because you feel you're obligated to tip even for bad food and bad service. It's not accepted as appropriate to not tip in America, regardless of whether or not it's deserved.

This is the mentality that's been adhered to religiously and which ensures the ordinary American won't balk over the income inequality that the very wealthy needs the poor to swallow.

It's the opposite of ever accepting a government that would take care of all the people's basic human needs. Maybe charity will look after those who are bankrupted due to medical expenses. Maybe the diner will look after the waitress who works for 7.50 an hour?? Maybe?
I know of no rule in America that says it's not appropriate not to tip. Also, you need to define your opinion of bad service. When I worked as a waiter in a hotel, one man came to breakfast every day and constantly complained about the size of the coffee cup even though refills were free. He never tipped. Probably a cheap-ass Canadian. LOL

Just a rabbit trail

Tell me about it. I think it was around 2001 when my sales manager met me in SLC to run some appointments. So toward the end of the day, we popped into the Hilton downtown for libations.

We belly up to the bar and the bartender goes: "Do you have a membership?" We're like "HuH?" He goes, "yeah I can't serve you without a membership and it's $20 per year. BUT, you can go into the restaurant and eat - then get drinks with your meal."

SOOO, we go to the restaurant. I order a double Scotch soda and the waitress says: "I can't serve you a double, but I can bring you a single with a sidecar." I say: "what's a sidecar?" A shot on the side was her answer.

So she brings it, I take a sip to make enough room in my glass to dump the shot. Stupid stuff, but they had SOOO many complaints when they hosted the Olympics in Park City 2002 that they figured out just how stupid that stuff actually was! :lol:

I'd resign in a heartbeat. She can do a lot better than this. Anybody who doesn't tip their waiters or waitresses are cheapskates.

I must agree. Recently our favorite diner, in business for forty-five years, served its last day of classic PA Dutch fare and then closed up forever. A waitress who worked there, who often served us, is pregnant and we would tip her extra, sort of as a small contribution to her child's future. Generously tipping wait staff at one's favorite restaurant is more than just good economics—it is an investment in local community.

I know of no rule in America that says it's not appropriate not to tip. Also, you need to define your opinion of bad service. When I worked as a waiter in a hotel, one man came to breakfast every day and constantly complained about the size of the coffee cup even though refills were free. He never tipped. Probably a cheap-ass Canadian. LOL
It's not a 'rule', it's a mindset of needing to contribute to a person's wages that are nearly always sub-standard.
If you don't tip you are aware that the server will suffer the consequences of America's huge income inequality.

When the Wife and I go to Jamaica the wait staff always fight over who has to serve the Canadians and who gets to serve the Americans.
They finally settled on switching every other day.

Just a rabbit trail
But Meister! Surely that requirement would encourage public drunkenness soon after a bottle of scotch was downed within 2 hours by a cost-conscious couple!? Lol

It's not a 'rule', it's a mindset of needing to contribute to a person's wages that are nearly always sub-standard.
If you don't tip you are aware that the server will suffer the consequences of America's huge income inequality.
I know of no 'mindset' in America like the one you describe. Inequality in wages, in America, is usually temporary because we have equal opportunity. For instance, I have had low paying jobs but today I own my own business and do quite well. Do you not have such opportunity in Canada?

When the Wife and I go to Jamaica the wait staff always fight over who has to serve the Canadians and who gets to serve the Americans.
They finally settled on switching every other day.
Have you had the pleasure of being waited on by the cordial and attentive staff at The Poop Deck in Jamaica? Now, the name might turn Americans off but offers the best seafood with catch of the day specials in Nassau!

Forum List

Back