Walking in the morning while being black.

Board experts demand everything perfect and in the perps favor 100% of the time. They are humans on both sides. Stuff happens. Every situation is almost unique. Could be they messed up and will be disciplined or fired? Could be the guy has warrants or more to the story. I’ll wait.

They detained him and he resisted
No they didn't. The came up on him and started asking questions. Asked for his ID which he's legally not required to provide or even have. Then asked for his name and DOB which he's also not required to provide. Then they arrested him for not providing an ID he's not required to provide.
You are clinging to the letter of the law and I’m offering common sense
Im not clinging to anything. These police officers acted illegally. That's it. And yes I think Police Officers should act within the law not some random person's version of "common sense"
At 4am in a strange neighborhood the guy with no id may have been out for a walk

But it looked suspicious

I'll ask again is suspicious a felony or misdemeanor?

Board experts demand everything perfect and in the perps favor 100% of the time. They are humans on both sides. Stuff happens. Every situation is almost unique. Could be they messed up and will be disciplined or fired? Could be the guy has warrants or more to the story. I’ll wait.
This law isnt super complicated to understand.

Cops can ask for ID

Citizens arent required to provide it.

Cops aren't allowed to use that refusal as a reason to arrest them.

So simple even a caveman can understand it.

No they didn't. The came up on him and started asking questions. Asked for his ID which he's legally not required to provide or even have. Then asked for his name and DOB which he's also not required to provide. Then they arrested him for not providing an ID he's not required to provide.

Im not clinging to anything. These police officers acted illegally. That's it. And yes I think Police Officers should act within the law not some random person's version of "common sense"

I'll ask again is suspicious a felony or misdemeanor?
I’ll ask again is suspicious a felony or misdemeanor?

Its a red flag that the man is up to no good

No. Only because he refused to show ID. The moment you resist, interfere with or fail to follow a lawful order of a LEO you lose all right to expect to be treated with ABY amount of respect or deference in my mind.

Dumb thing to do. Especially with the kid there.
To show ID, what crime did he commit?

Not totally disagreeing. A bit more time and a few more questions might have stopped the panicked defensiveness the guy quickly showed.

The Board experts may have won this one using OKLA law. The Cops had no legal reason to arrest based on the body cam at that time. The Police have a lot of experience dealing with stops.

There could still be more to this story.
They both could have acted better.
"a soft answer" diffuses wrath"

We will never know

The anti cop lib news media has smeared the police officer and has no incentive to follow up the story

Perhaps. But if I am questioned I'm going to make things really ugly. Really ugly.
Sadly, the ugly part will get far uglier for you than the police. As this man found out. No doubt he also said he doesn't have to identify himself, answer questions or cooperate with police officers.

Sexton said the incident left his son deeply hurt, emphasizing that he hasn’t been the same since witnessing the ordeal.

“He’s been a cop for Halloween for the last two years. That’s what he’s been wanting to be when he grows up. That’s what he says, and now he’s scared of them,” Sexton said, according to ABC affiliate KOCO News 5.

Watonga Police Chief Beth Massey declined to comment on the incident when contacted by the station.

Sexton said he is considering pressing charges over the incident.

This law isnt super complicated to understand.

Cops can ask for ID

Citizens arent required to provide it.

Cops aren't allowed to use that refusal as a reason to arrest them.

So simple even a caveman can understand it.

his name and DOB which he's also not required to provide

So anyone on any public street can walk around as long as they want no matter what as long as they don’t want to tell Police who they are? Seems odd? I can see not having ID on you. But no name? Is also the law? Loitering is out now? Vagrancy or Child endangerment is out? We can do anything we want in OKLA forever? Police can’t ask? what if you’re sitting in or driving a car? No ID required? No key is OK?

So anyone on any public street can walk around as long as they want no matter what as long as they don’t want to tell Police who they are? Seems odd? I can see not having ID on you. But no name? Is also the law? Loitering is out now? Vagrancy or Child endangerment is out? We can do anything we want in OKLA forever? Police can’t ask? what if you’re sitting in or driving a car? No ID required? No key is OK?
Cops need reasonable suspicion to "harass" you -- especially if they're gonna ASSAULT you. We live in a free Republic, not a police state. At least that's the idea

That's always best. Deal with violations of your r rights AFTER -- especially if you're with your young child
Of course. The police officer will give you a card with his identification. You cooperate then when you are released with apologies you trot on down to the police station and file your civil rights complaint with internal affairs. This is so simple. Blacks still can't comprehend it.

Forum List

Back