Walmart dead last in customer satisfaction

Most of the stores I mentioned require preplanning for me to visit too because of location. If I am in the area, or passing by on the way home from work I will stop in.. If it's a quick run to the store from home...then we have an Albertson's a few blocks away. I'm way too lazy to fight crowds and drive out of my way on the weekends.

Albertson's--midwest, New England or other? I have heard of them--that is something we don't have in Atlanta.

selfishly I would not be upset if a new Walmart was built about 10 miles from me. The proposed site is hotly contested--traffic and related issues. Imo, this site would have been perfect for Trader Joes--but they were not interested.

Do yu guys have Piggly Wigglys there?

I think there are some PW in other parts of the state. Atlanta seems to be dominated by Kroger and Publix --as well as Walmart, etc.

Albertson's--midwest, New England or other? I have heard of them--that is something we don't have in Atlanta.

selfishly I would not be upset if a new Walmart was built about 10 miles from me. The proposed site is hotly contested--traffic and related issues. Imo, this site would have been perfect for Trader Joes--but they were not interested.

Albertson's is based out of Boise Idaho. Not sure about all locations...but I'm going to say all of the MidWest, SouthWest and West. They had them in California when I lived there and I know they have them in Illinois.

They must be good. In shopping threads they are referenced frequently.

We have a really good international farmers' market about a half hour away--sometimes I go there if there is a seasonal fruit or vegetable that I desire. DeKalb Farmers' Market---lol--seems to have quite an online following. It's been around for about 40 years. Originally opened behind some stores in an old strip mall. Then moved to a larger location. I had no idea it was held in such high esteem.

Albertson's is one of the better grocery stores here. Similar to Smith's ( Kroger ). I just like the set up better.

We don't really have a good farmers market type store here. All very small and limited. I wish we did though.

Most of the stores I mentioned require preplanning for me to visit too because of location. If I am in the area, or passing by on the way home from work I will stop in.. If it's a quick run to the store from home...then we have an Albertson's a few blocks away. I'm way too lazy to fight crowds and drive out of my way on the weekends.

Do yu guys have Piggly Wigglys there?

We used to have Piggly Wiggly. That's where my family shopped when I was a kid. Haven't seen one in years though. Didn't know they were still around as a chain. Glad to hear it.

well now lets see, it you aren't happy with the service DON'T SHOP THERE

.my gawd, McDonalds, Walmart, etc etc..the petty of the bitch

I'm trying to figure out what could possibly cause a bad customer service experience in wallyworld.
Get cart,pick up TP,paper towels,deodorant and whatever. Push cart to check out,then out to your car. What the hell could possibly go wrong?
Other then the standard two out of fifty lanes being open,I really see nothing you could complain about.

And even if the two lanes in question are busy...there are still six or more self check out registers available.

Plus they will pretty much take a return on anything (even dead trees and rose bushes... found that out the last time I was in line at CS) Not many other stores can say the same...you may not get cash but you are pretty much guaranteed a store credit.

Last edited:
well now lets see, it you aren't happy with the service DON'T SHOP THERE

.my gawd, McDonalds, Walmart, etc etc..the petty of the bitch

agreed, if you are not satisfied don't shop there.

however, this whole argument about and over "customer satisfaction compared to......

is about unions wanting into walmart.

very true, they are also the one's using these people to strike at McDonalds..

They don't care how they go about it or who they use...

and they have a lot of useful tools it seems

BTW....the Wally World stores in the Phoenix metro-area stopped selling firearms at the request of the city council a few years ago. Imagine the revenue they lost trying to be "responsible" ie stop more cheap weapons from showing up on our streets? Maybe that's why they weren't involved in Holder's "fast and furious" effort to arm the Sinaloa drug cartel. So if I want to pick up a cheap truck gun, I have to drive out to North Scottsdale on the chance they'll have anything left in stock. Sure, Wally has put thousands of mom and pops out of business with the economy of scale...and they don't give benefits, and they deal with the slants to keep prices down. But they are large-scale employers and they try to be good community citizens so you can't say they are perfect but then who is? :eusa_eh:

I don't know, I've been known to frequent a WalMart from time to time and I can't complain.

Funny thing is, I've seen an employee be, hmmm... Not so kind, to the customer in front of me, yet be perfectly pleasant and engaging with me...

Now, I am known to take the time to notice the name on the employee's tag, ask her, or him, how they are, treat them with respect and use their name. This is a practice my dad taught me, using their name, it shows respect, it's easy, there's no reason not to do it. Besides, I figure these people deal with assholes all day long, no need for me to be another one.

Wait staff at restaurants also seem to respond in a positive to the same treatment.

I guess what I'm saying is, you can control your experience by controlling yourself.

And on a side note, don't yell at the person in front of you or the one who answers the phone. Odds are they have little to know control over providing what you want. Tell them you'd rather yell at their manager, or the next higher up who pissed them off recently...

My husband works at a major grocery chain, but I buy most of our groceries at Walmart. We even get an employee discount at his store, but Walmart's prices are better overall. By far.

And as for wages...the major grocery store sucks. JUST SUCKS. It's Union, but everyone starts at minimum wage and then claws their way up to a half-ass decent wage over a period of years. I can't believe my husband decided to work there. I think he's going through a midlife crisis or something. :( He's a chef, for crying out loud! A chef who doesn't want to cook anymore. : (

Walmart is certainly no worse, but Walmart gets all the flack. What about these others, why aren't they getting the bad press? Because they're union shops? Well, their union SUCKS.

He will be getting great medical benefits, though (after working there for six f'ing months), so I can take him off mine. That helps, because he costs me quite a bit on my plan.

Last edited:
Oh, and I find the customer service to be much better at Walmart. They actually respond to complaints and resolve issues. The major grocery chain usually throws up their hands and says they have no control because it's a "corporate" matter. So you contact their corporate offices and get nowhere with them.

Walmart is a huge corporation but they empower their management at the local level to resolve problems.

My husband works at a major grocery store, but I buy most of our groceries at Walmart. We even get an employee discount at his store, but Walmart's prices are better overall. By far.

And as for wages...the major grocery store sucks. JUST SUCKS. It's Union, but everyone starts at minimum wage and then claws their way up to a half-ass decent wage over a period of years. I can't believe my husband decided to work there. I think he's going through a midlife crisis or something. :( He's a chef, for crying out loud! A chef who doesn't want to cook anymore. : (

Walmart is certainly no worse, but Walmart gets all the flack. What about these others, why aren't they getting the bad press? Because they're union shops? Well, their union SUCKS.

He will be getting great medical benefits, though (after working there for six f'ing months), so I can take him off mine. That helps, because he costs me quite a bit on my plan.

truly--I assume they are the largest?

And a 'big box' chain.
Those who bitterly oppose the proposed Walmart in my area are opposed on principle to big box stores. The adjacent area is an icon of 'what could be'--independent merchants, etc. A standard that may be unrealistic--I cannot say. Glad I am not in the middle of the conflict. If this Walmart ever becomes a reality --I will shop there, more convenient for me.

walmart will continue to grow as liberals continue to cry

they have a great business model and provide items at great prices, they changed the way most stores do business.

Walmart's new business model is; under staff their stores to the point of no longer being able to stock their shelves or assist their customers and-----and as bad as they screw their employees they don't have the best prices in the marketplace.

WinCo, a small, employee-owned grocery store chain based in Boise, Idaho, is able to beat Walmart’s prices on goods while providing its employees with good benefits.
The company, which will soon have close to 100 stores with the latest openings in Texas, has almost 15,000 employees. Those who work at the store long enough qualify for a pension plan into which the company puts an amount equal to 20 percent of their yearly pay. More than 400 “front-line” workers — clerks, cashiers, and others who are not at the executive level — have retirement accounts that are worth at least $1 million, according to a company spokesman.

It also provides full health benefits for those who work at least 24 hours a week, beyond the requirements in the Affordable Care Act. While the company is private and hasn’t made wage information available, Glassdoor reports that cashiers and clerks make more than $11 an hour. Thanks to these benefits and wages, the company has low turnover. An industry analyst estimated that the average hourly worker stays with the company for more than eight years.

The same level workers can expect $8 an hour at Walmart and part-time workers won’t get health care coverage. Even half of full-time workers aren’t covered because the costs are so high. Thanks to its low pay and few benefits, workers rely on $1 million worth of public benefits in a single store just to get by.
Yet WinCo’s prices are often lower than Walmart’s.

<snip>

Meanwhile, Walmart’s sales have been hurt by its inability to keep shelves stocked and offer good customer service. That’s because it doesn’t hire enough employees to get product on the floor and workers with such low wages and hours aren’t offering a good customer experience. The company ranked at the bottom of the American Customer Satisfaction Index in February.

Walmart's new business model is; under staff their stores to the point of no longer being able to stock their shelves or assist their customers and-----and as bad as they screw their employees they don't have the best prices in the marketplace.

Source ??

With a 4% satisfaction hit, the world’s largest retailer is now alone in last place at 70—6 points below the industry average and the next-lowest chain (Sears at 76)."

That's awful. They'll have to console themselves with their 2012 FY revenue of $469 billion.

not only that but each and every Walmart sucks up -on average- over a million dollars of the taxes YOU pay

Holy bad math, Batman!
WalMart doesn't suck up any of my tax dollars.

Sure it does. They don't pay their workers enough and you end up paying for their healthcare.

So the government pays for healthcare?
I thought someone would post proof that WalMart sucks up my tax dollars.

Full time workers on;
Medicaid? Food stamps?
Walmart - the real welfare queen.

"Wal-Mart's poverty wages force employees to rely on $2.66 billion in government help every year, or about $420,000 per store. In state after state, Wal-Mart employees are the top recipients of Medicaid. As many as 80 percent of workers in Wal-Mart stores use food stamps."

And from another website this: Walmart's Low Wages Cost Taxpayers Millions Each Year

Due to low wages and few benefits, Walmart workers at a single 300-person Supercenter store rely on anywhere from $904,542 to $1,744,590 in public benefits per year, costing taxpayers, according to a new report from the Democratic staff of the House Committee on Education and the Workforce. The report focused its analysis on Wisconsin, because the state’s data is the most comprehensive and up to date. It looked at how many workers enroll in the state’s Medicaid program and extrapolated how many services they rely on from programs such as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, Earned Income Tax Credit, school lunch program, Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program, and Section 8 housing vouchers, among others.

Looking at just those currently enrolled in Medicaid, the report estimates that each employee takes in $3,015 in public benefits a year. But that may be a low estimate, as other workers may enroll in other programs. Assuming a higher number, each employee could use more like $5,815 in benefits a year.

<snip>

Walmart’s model isn’t the only way in the discount retail space, however. Rival Costco, which competes with Walmart’s Sam’s Club stores, pays employees about 40 percent more. The average Costco worker makes $21.96 an hour. Nearly all of the workers who are eligible for the company’s benefits are enrolled.

Costco has come under analyst pressure to lower wages and boost profit, but the company’s CFO has thus far refused to do so. Its bottom line, however, seems strong: Profits rose by 19 percent to $459 million last quarter.

Meanwhile, Walmart’s sales have been struggling. Its sales suffered during the first quarter of the year and the company has come under criticism for failing to keep shelves stocked thanks to too few employees working at a time. That has led to long lines and customer dissatisfaction, which helped it rank at the bottom of the American Customer Satisfaction Index in February.

While Costco has a lower profit margin than Walmart, it gets much more revenue and profit per employee and generates a higher return for investors.

I doubt Walmart's employees are the top recipients of Medicaid. Seeing as how one of the employees benefits is Health insurance including life insurance, travel insurance , vision and counseling. I also know that they get educational assistance which is not listed. I really wish you wackadoodles wouldn't lie.

Health & Well-Being Benefits

Consumer-directed health plans, including Health Reimbursement Accounts (HRA) plans and a high deductible plan with a Health Savings Account (HSA). Highlights include:
100 percent coverage for eligible in-network preventive care
$4 co-pay on eligible generic drugs at Walmart or Sam&#8217;s Club pharmacies
Free access to nurse care managers and health care advisors
HMO plans (available in certain areas)
Resources For Living® &#8211; a free confidential counseling and health information service
Company-paid life insurance
Accidental death & dismemberment insurance (AD&D)
Critical illness insurance
Short- and long-term disability insurance
Business Travel Accident Insurance
Illness Protection (Sick Time)
Associate Eyewear Program

Financial Benefits

Matching contributions to your 401(k) up to 6% of your salary
Associate Stock Purchase Plan with a company match
Associate Discount Card for Walmart and Home Office associates and Sam&#8217;s Club Home Office associates, spouses and dependents
Sam&#8217;s Club associates receive a complimentary membership
Exclusive discounts on everything from brand new cars and wireless services to travel when associates visit our online Associate Discount Center &#8211; more than 375 discounts available

Working At Walmart - Walmart Careers

Last edited:
Sure it does. They don't pay their workers enough and you end up paying for their healthcare.

So the government pays for healthcare?
I thought someone would post proof that WalMart sucks up my tax dollars.

Full time workers on;
Medicaid? Food stamps?
Walmart - the real welfare queen.

"Wal-Mart's poverty wages force employees to rely on $2.66 billion in government help every year, or about $420,000 per store. In state after state, Wal-Mart employees are the top recipients of Medicaid. As many as 80 percent of workers in Wal-Mart stores use food stamps."

And from another website this: Walmart's Low Wages Cost Taxpayers Millions Each Year

Due to low wages and few benefits, Walmart workers at a single 300-person Supercenter store rely on anywhere from $904,542 to $1,744,590 in public benefits per year, costing taxpayers, according to a new report from the Democratic staff of the House Committee on Education and the Workforce. The report focused its analysis on Wisconsin, because the state’s data is the most comprehensive and up to date. It looked at how many workers enroll in the state’s Medicaid program and extrapolated how many services they rely on from programs such as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, Earned Income Tax Credit, school lunch program, Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program, and Section 8 housing vouchers, among others.

Looking at just those currently enrolled in Medicaid, the report estimates that each employee takes in $3,015 in public benefits a year. But that may be a low estimate, as other workers may enroll in other programs. Assuming a higher number, each employee could use more like $5,815 in benefits a year.

<snip>

Walmart’s model isn’t the only way in the discount retail space, however. Rival Costco, which competes with Walmart’s Sam’s Club stores, pays employees about 40 percent more. The average Costco worker makes $21.96 an hour. Nearly all of the workers who are eligible for the company’s benefits are enrolled.

Costco has come under analyst pressure to lower wages and boost profit, but the company’s CFO has thus far refused to do so. Its bottom line, however, seems strong: Profits rose by 19 percent to $459 million last quarter.

Meanwhile, Walmart’s sales have been struggling. Its sales suffered during the first quarter of the year and the company has come under criticism for failing to keep shelves stocked thanks to too few employees working at a time. That has led to long lines and customer dissatisfaction, which helped it rank at the bottom of the American Customer Satisfaction Index in February.

While Costco has a lower profit margin than Walmart, it gets much more revenue and profit per employee and generates a higher return for investors.

"Wal-Mart's poverty wages force employees to rely on $2.66 billion in government help every year

That's awful! WalMart paid almost $8 billion last year in taxes on their earnings, billions in payroll taxes not to mention $10s of billions in sales taxes on their $469 billion in revenues. Still waiting for proof that WalMart sucks up my tax dollars.

In state after state, Wal-Mart employees are the top recipients of Medicaid.

They are one of the top employers in state after state.

Looking at just those currently enrolled in Medicaid, the report estimates that each employee takes in $3,015 in public benefits a year.

Government spending is out of control, isn't it?

It looked at how many workers enroll in the state’s Medicaid program and extrapolated how many services they rely on from programs such as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, Earned Income Tax Credit, school lunch program, Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program, and Section 8 housing vouchers, among others.

Pretend all these workers were suddenly out of work.
Would they cost these programs more money, or less?

Forum List

Back