Walmart Is Raising Wages And Giving Bonuses, Citing Tax Cuts (Every Democrat Voted Against This)

And predictably, the usual suspects jump in to poo-poo it. If the President had a (D) after their name, they'd be celebrating. Partisan politics is ugly. Party before country is even uglier.
I have no problem celebrating good policy. But, unlike the GOP, I refuse to celebrate the rape of the middle class.
See?

Trump is only president because he embraced protectionism. There is little evidence he'll follow through on any semblance of keeping those promises. I tend to be protectionist myself.
I agree to a certain extent that general protectionism was part of his appeal, but I think the mid-west working class liked his "America First" message, which is that his primary responsibility is to Americans, not the rest of the world.

That sector of the population has seen jobs going overseas left and right. I suspect that they didn't really connected on his message about tariffs, because it has no direct benefit to them, and in fact, would hurt them with higher costs of goods, assuming that message connected. Mid-Westerners were interested in repatriating jobs and Hillary seemed to take them for granted. But, I could be wrong.
:dunno:

I like the concept of giving corporations incentives to keep jobs here. I don't like the part of protectionism that drives up consumer costs and gives American producers incentives to be inefficient. In other words, a 35% tariff on a competing import good allows the American counterpart to slack off, which stifles local innovation, giving market share to the foreign company forced to be creative and efficient.

Swiss time-piece manufacturing is a good example. There were other factors, but Japan was forced to be creative in order to compete with the Swiss. Now Japan dominates time-piece manufacturing.

The best way to compete with imports is to provide a better product at the lowest possible price, rather than force-pricing your competition out of the market.

Furthermore, I question whether the motivations of government are pure. What happens to the revenue from those tariffs?

Last edited:
Good for Walmat!!!

A raise is the way to go vs a bonus which is a one shot deal!

This will help many struggling families across the country

More reason that we need to increase the minimum wage
They may not feel the results for a while if they are also receiving food stamps....for right now, while still at a qualifying level for food stamps...the more money they make, reduces their food stamp money, accordingly....

But if they continue to receive a yearly raise, it will reach the point where they no longer qualify for food stamps and eventually will feel the effect of the years of raises.....perhaps?
Years of raises? What a fantasy.

Republicans will cut their food stamps to pay for their farm bill which give people like Joni Ernst a half million dollars for sh!ts and giggles. A bill she voted for. And she was one of many.

Joni Ernst Received Government Assistance? GOP Senator’s Family Took $460,000 In Taxpayer Handouts

What on earth makes you guys think Republicans are going to help out the middle class and the poor?

Why is it impossibly for you guys to learn?

That's why I think it's all about race. What else would drive people to such stupidity? The urge to get it deep again and again?

Who knows, maybe the gop will work this time.

You burrow a Trillion and half fucking dollars and throw it to the corporations and bussiness stock holders, who will in turn throw some crumbs out of that to their workforce.

What is there not to work? It's going to work great, just like me going out and blowing through all my credit cards is going to work great for a vacation...not so much long term when the bills come due.
Well, in a sense it's the gop's version of Porkulus. Any rightwing nut who denies extending UI and Medicaid and education during the great recession pumped up consumer spending to prevent truly catastrophic deflation is full of shit. But really it was the Fed, that not only dropped interest rates to zero or even lower, and even then bought Yuuge chunks of bad debt to get it off corporate balance sheets.

I don't think anyone made a rational argument that we could just cut spending to reduce the deficits to manageable size. We've got to grow the economy faster than yearly deficits rise. In the past what the gop is trying would have met resistance from the Fed who'd have raised rates fearing inflation. But, maybe there will not be inflation.

But like Porkulus, just raiding the Treasury to hand out largesse to individuals is not something I like.

Stimulus was about half the cost and passed in the middle of something called Great Recession while the country's economy looked to be on the brink.

This bill was passed because....what? Corporations weren't making enough profits afters years and years of raking it in?

Profits+%25+of+GDP.jpg

The Trump Tax Cuts are doing wonders for businesses and the working American people. It's a shame Democrats have no sympathy for the working taxpayers but have empathy for the mooching illegals and negroes on welfare, or better known as their pets.

Walmart is raising wages and giving bonuses, citing tax cuts

Walmart to raise its starting wage to $11, give some employees bonuses following tax bill passage

A call out to help those who handed Walmart hundreds of millions of dollars.

Tell me why a company that ranked 11th in highest profits, could not afford to do this without the tax cut.
And still, they were able to do it with a tax cut.

Weird, eh?

A company wide pay raise and bonus is just a few key strokes on a computer!
`
I don't think so. A tad bit more complex than that. I could take the time to explain it but that would be like "casting pearls before the swine."
I suspect more than a few corporations were expecting a corp tax cut and making general plans in anticipation.

However, earlier gop proposals planned to reduce overall rates, and give a reduced rate for repatriated profits, in exchange for reducing expenditures for stuff like tax deductions for:
https://www.gao.gov/assets/660/653120.pdf

The tax bill didn't touch expenditures. If the tax bill had not increased deficits so much, the gop had aimed at infrastructure.

Good for Wal-Mart

Last month, after the tax cuts were passed, salaries nationwide went up nine cents
Rather than cherry pick a few employers, lets see how salaries increase nationwide before we celebrate tax cuts
Good for Wal-Mart? You mean good for Wal-Mart's employees, right?
As a leftist, you will never celebrate conservative, capitalist economic freedom.

Lets see how much of a 50% tax cut trickles down to employees

Nine cents an hour last month
Employers nationwide have a long way to go
As if labor is the only business expense.

Who knows, maybe the gop will work this time.

You burrow a Trillion and half fucking dollars and throw it to the corporations and bussiness stock holders, who will in turn throw some crumbs out of that to their workforce.

What is there not to work? It's going to work great, just like me going out and blowing through all my credit cards is going to work great for a vacation...not so much long term when the bills come due.
Well, in a sense it's the gop's version of Porkulus. Any rightwing nut who denies extending UI and Medicaid and education during the great recession pumped up consumer spending to prevent truly catastrophic deflation is full of shit. But really it was the Fed, that not only dropped interest rates to zero or even lower, and even then bought Yuuge chunks of bad debt to get it off corporate balance sheets.

I don't think anyone made a rational argument that we could just cut spending to reduce the deficits to manageable size. We've got to grow the economy faster than yearly deficits rise. In the past what the gop is trying would have met resistance from the Fed who'd have raised rates fearing inflation. But, maybe there will not be inflation.

But like Porkulus, just raiding the Treasury to hand out largesse to individuals is not something I like.

Stimulus was about half the cost and passed in the middle of something called Great Recession while the country's economy looked to be on the brink.

This bill was passed because....what? Corporations weren't making enough profits afters years and years of raking it in?
it was passed because unemployment was trending to 10%. LOL

`
`

A company wide raise like that takes at least 6 months to plan out and execute. Far before the tax breaks.

Thank you Windparadox
Just to go from 9 an hour to 10 an hour requires
completing full training and being on the job for a set amount of time.
They aren't training people at 10 but at 9, then you get 10 after you meet the requirements.

It makes sense that the upgrade to 11 is also going to be implemented
in an orderly way, so that all employees are informed and treated uniformly.

Republicans will cut their food stamps to pay for their farm bill which give people like Joni Ernst a half million dollars for sh!ts and giggles. A bill she voted for. And she was one of many.
Gotta admit. Deanerd's commie ass finally makes a pretty decent point.

Farm aid is complete and total horse shit. Farm aid today is totally unnecessary, compared to 50 or 100 years ago. Now, 99% of all farms are owned and operated by wealthy individuals and large corporations. I will support tax cuts to help out the agricultural industry, but those fuckers do NOT need fucking corporate welfare. That is BULLSHIT, and the dog shit GOP is all up in that ass.

The GOP is no different than the Democrats when it comes to giving away your money. The only difference is the recipient.

Oh, I agree. Porkulus was a gigantic heist. We were all given dooms-day warnings that we needed to give these inefficient fat cats billions or we would be in big trouble.

And the dog shit GOP was RIGHT IN THE FUCKING MIDDLE OF IT!!!

Amazing how the market works when you leave it the fuck alone.

Seattle’s forced minimum wage increase is killing their low skill wage earners.

Liberals fucking suck at economics.

`
`

The article provided no proof or evidence that the tax cut had anything to do with the Walmart increase of wage. Again; "correlation does not imply causation."

Again....ALL Leftists live in Denial.....but steadfastly cling to their delusions of America being the root of all evil......and their Communist enslavement being the cure for all that ails humankind.

`
`

A company wide raise like that takes at least 6 months to plan out and execute. Far before the tax breaks.
A thousand dollar bonus but only if you worked there for 20 years??????????????

How many work at Wal Mart for 20 years?????????????

Managers??????????

Republicans duped and face squat on again.

Oh, I agree. Porkulus was a gigantic heist. We were all given dooms-day warnings that we needed to give these inefficient fat cats billions or we would be in big trouble.

And the dog shit GOP was RIGHT IN THE FUCKING MIDDLE OF IT!!!

You don't know what you are talking about and seem to be confusing totally separate Stimulus spending and Bailouts (that were mostly repaid).

Stimulus spending was almost half tax-cuts, quarter education grants and quarter infrastructure spending...little to do with any fat-cats.

Last edited:
Gotta admit. Deanerd's commie ass finally makes a pretty decent point.

Farm aid is complete and total horse shit. Farm aid today is totally unnecessary, compared to 50 or 100 years ago. Now, 99% of all farms are owned and operated by wealthy individuals and large corporations. I will support tax cuts to help out the agricultural industry, but those fuckers do NOT need fucking corporate welfare. That is BULLSHIT, and the dog shit GOP is all up in that ass.

The GOP is no different than the Democrats when it comes to giving away your money. The only difference is the recipient.

You are full of shit. Less than 4% of farms have more than a million in value of products sold. Almost 20% of farms have a value of products less than $25,000

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Forum List

Back