Want universal background checks? A question....

Of course new gun laws won’t stop all violence, says Michael Tomasky. But they’re still a good idea.

The Gun Lobby's Dumbest Argument - The Daily Beast

Universal background checks would only be a minor inconvenience to gun nutters. Speed limits don't stop all speeders, but they sure help to make our roads safer than they would be without them - especially when backed up by enforcement (radar/cameras/cops/courts/DMV).
It wont stop any gun violence. That's the point.
It will make it worse.
WHat is so fucking hard to understand about "criminals dont obey the law"?

Look, sparky, you are full of shit. Speed limits don't stop all speeders - but they sure help make roads safer. Can you deny that?
Of course not.
But it is a flawed analogy for all kinds of reasons.
You understand that, right?

No, I don't understand that! I'm an avid hunter and gun enthusiast - and you're full of shit. It has already been more than sufficiently proven that background checks help keep us safer.

Johns Hopkins Gun-Control Study - Background Checks Really Work - New Republic

FBI Gun Checks NICS

Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence Gun Law Information Experts

Universal Background Checks Coalition to Stop Gun Violence

you are a moron if you believe that. you quoted a bunch of anti gun propaganda

Since when is the FBI and NICS a "bunch of anti-gun propaganda"?
The link doesnt even show the checks prevent or reduce crime.
Try reading before posting rather than just cutting from a Google search. You'll start to look smarter.

You try reading. The 4th link states the following:

To date, the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) has prevented more than two million convicted felons and other prohibited purchasers from buying guns. The law also has a deterrent effect—prohibited purchasers are less likely to try to buy guns when they know comprehensive background check requirements are in place.
And that's wrong It hasnt prevented anything. People got denied at the dealer's, yes. But no record as to whether they went out and bought a gun privately.
/fail

To date, the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) has prevented more than two million convicted felons and other prohibited purchasers from buying guns. The law also has a deterrent effect—prohibited purchasers are less likely to try to buy guns when they know comprehensive background check requirements are in place.

Hey SFB- every person PROPERLY DENIED HAS COMMITTED FEDERAL FELONY PERJURY

Yet almost NONE of those 2 million were even arrested, let alone convicted.

prohibited purchasers are less likely to try to buy through FFL dealers and MORE LIKELY to use straw purchasers or the black market

WHY HAVEN'T THOSE 2 MILLION PERJURERS been prosecuted. almost 25 years in the DOJ in one of the 15 biggest districts and we didn't have a SINGLE PROSECUTION for lying on a 4473

and guess what SFB? if you admit to the sales clerk you are a felon-they don't DO the background check

it never makes it to the statistics

Let's just do nothing! Is that the new American way?
Ah yes, the old "we must do something. Here's something, let's do it" approach of the American left.
I'd prefer to do something that actually helps the situation. Do you have any ideas for something that would actually help the situation?

Ah yes, the old "we must do something. Here's something, let's do it" approach of the American left.
I'd prefer to do something that actually helps the situation. Do you have any ideas for something that would actually help the situation?

Nothing that would persuade you. Your avatar alone proves you're a close-minded idiot.

prohibited purchasers are less likely to try to buy through FFL dealers and MORE LIKELY to use straw purchasers or the black market

WHY HAVEN'T THOSE 2 MILLION PERJURERS been prosecuted. almost 25 years in the DOJ in one of the 15 biggest districts and we didn't have a SINGLE PROSECUTION for lying on a 4473

and guess what SFB? if you admit to the sales clerk you are a felon-they don't DO the background check

Hey dummy, a sales clerk is under NO obligation to ask if a person is a felon before giving them the paperwork.

And it's a safe bet that most of them don't ask

Hey dummy, a sales clerk is under NO obligation to ask if a person is a felon before giving them the paperwork.

hey moron, the sales clerk is supposed to read the 4473 before calling in the information.

I know I represented gun dealers and then I was a fed

moron

they want to be able to pat themselves on each others' backs and pretend they care

feeling good about themselves rather than actually helping things is what drives the american left

they want to be able to pat themselves on each others' backs and pretend they care

feeling good about themselves rather than actually helping things is what drives the american left

Yeah, keep telling yourself that. You aren't very smart, are you?

hey moron, the sales clerk is supposed to read the 4473 before calling in the information.

moron

oh gee look, you don't even have to INVOLVE the store clerk in the 4473

Saving time filling out the paperwork

moron

you ought to spend more time thinking rather than seeing how many posts you can rack up in a month

you have no clue about what you are braying about

the clerk is required to read the form

if the form indicates you are a prohibited person, you are denied right there

Yeah, keep telling yourself that. You aren't very smart, are you?

I shit stuff smarter than you

and I can prove it

your posts are moronic

moron

you ought to spend more time thinking rather than seeing how many posts you can rack up in a month

you have no clue about what you are braying about

the clerk is required to read the form

if the form indicates you are a prohibited person, you are denied right there

Did you um even read the link. you can in fact fill out the form online without need of "a clerk"

HELLO McFly , anyone home?

I guess you are too stupid to understand you fill out the form so when you get there you don't have to waste time filling it out. THE CLERK STILL READS IT

Hello SFB-you are talking to someone who actually has filled out hundreds of these things

represented gun dealers and told them how to comply with the law

and then was a federal attorney and part of my duties involved enforcement of these laws including stripping a rogue dealer of his license and then defending that revocation in federal court

i guess you were too dim to even read the link and UNDERSTAND IT

moron

i dont see anything that says a clerk is not involved in the process

according to the link the store processes the form and

they (the store) calls in the information

have you ever even looked at a 4473 form

Register the serial number of the gun and provide a title, just like an automobile.

We're told by gun lovers that cars are just as dangerous, just as lethal as cars. If we accept this premise, then guns should be registered and titled.

that's stupid for two reasons

the use of cars properly, costs the government money. registration is designed to obtain money to pay for roads

secondly, no one is suggesting that cars be banned or that registration is a needed tool for confiscation

and another thing

the constitution. The federal government doesn't have any power to demand registration since forcing people to register guns they bought years ago is not a sufficient nexus with interstate commerce-not even under the idiotic dishonest Democrap interpretation
Guns, when used in public spaces costs the government money. Emergency response and subsequent court costs mount up quickly.

Secondly, no one is suggesting banning guns or confiscating them. Don't bring the paranoia.

And gun registration would apply to all new sales as of the beginning of the legislation, not retroactively on previous sales.

If, indeed cars are just as lethal and just as dangerous as guns as so many gun lovers maintain, shouldn't the same requirements apply to both automobile and gun sales?

Idiot.
I have been a firearms dealer for 9 years. The dealer is obligated to read the 4473 and if the customer has indicated he is prohibited he is obligated to stop the process right there. And I have done exactly that when it happened.
The form specifically asks whether youv'e been convicted of a felony. If someone answers Yes and they actually have then you stop. No sale. No background check.

Register the serial number of the gun and provide a title, just like an automobile.

We're told by gun lovers that cars are just as dangerous, just as lethal as cars. If we accept this premise, then guns should be registered and titled.

that's stupid for two reasons

the use of cars properly, costs the government money. registration is designed to obtain money to pay for roads

secondly, no one is suggesting that cars be banned or that registration is a needed tool for confiscation

and another thing

the constitution. The federal government doesn't have any power to demand registration since forcing people to register guns they bought years ago is not a sufficient nexus with interstate commerce-not even under the idiotic dishonest Democrap interpretation
Guns, when used in public spaces costs the government money. Emergency response and subsequent court costs mount up quickly.

Secondly, no one is suggesting banning guns or confiscating them. Don't bring the paranoia.

And gun registration would apply to all new sales as of the beginning of the legislation, not retroactively on previous sales.

If, indeed cars are just as lethal and just as dangerous as guns as so many gun lovers maintain, shouldn't the same requirements apply to both automobile and gun sales?
Ahh.
So you've got 300M guns already in circulation. They have an operating life of about 100 years or more. Your proposal would do nothing whatsoever to address those 300M guns, which are the source of gun related crime.
So why do it?
Oh yea, we've got "do something".

moron

i dont see anything that says a clerk is not involved in the process

according to the link the store processes the form and

they (the store) calls in the information

He doesn't understand the process and was trying to be clever. Unfortunately, I know this area in and out and his pathetic effort was duly dismissed as idiocy and dullardness

Forum List

Back