Warren is heartless to those who save for college

Exactly why I am pushing my kids to leave America behind and move to Europe for college...MUCH MUCH cheaper and in many cases free. Along with Universal education comes universal healthcare and paid maternity leave and an overall happier population! Hope at least a few of my kids do so. We have no money for college so they would be on their own...government can shit in one hand and wish in the other when it comes to my wife and I repaying bullshit loans to simply get educated to survive in this WONDERFUL country they have made almost unlivable without a college degree.
But they don’t have to pay for the most powerful military on earth

We have our priorities, they have theirs
We Have the Best Historians the Ruling Class Can Buy

Our military can pay for itself. The real reason Nixon got pushed out of office without a reaction from the people who had elected him in a landslide was that he caused the recession by not seized the OPEC oilfields. An embargo is an act of war, which was the real reason Japan attacked Pearl Harbor.

The real (unauthorized and unofficial, therefore logical) reason Nixon backed down (occupying the oilfields was his first reaction) was that our Big Oil Occupied Government wanted to piggyback off OPECker price-gouging.
You Goofy
In College, You Live Like a Child. That's Why Grads on the Internet Have the Mind of a Child.

No, I'm Pluto. I'm worth my wait in plutonium, but I'm not going to share it with a society that wants me to live like a little Mama's Boy in college and never grow up.

I'm sure your Mommies are proud that you brown-noses got "a good job," but today's college graduates don't do a good job. White-collar frauds are nothing but ambitious imbeciles, cretins with credentials. They should be called yellow-collar, slurping the boots of the economic bullies who hypocritically make sure that their own guillotine-fodder brats get an adult allowance and paid-up tuition.
Your posts still make no sense and are irrelevant to the thread

There are plenty.

From my daughter's university website.

"All students must complete 40 credits of general education, including at least one course (of three or more credits) from the list of approved courses offered in each of the following 10 areas: Writing Foundations and Formal Reasoning (F.1 - F.2), Arts, Foreign Language and Culture, Global Perspectives, Literature, Natural Science and Technology, Social Science, Western Civilization (E.1 - E.7), and Knowledge Applications (I.1). Note that courses in these knowledge areas may not double count with each other."

It doesn't matter that her major is computer science, she has to take "fillers" to satisfy requirement.

Most of fillers are on "first come first serve basis, so if "learning how to learn" (I'm not shitting you, that's the class name) class is full, you chose some of few dozen others, like: "media and social identity", or "human sexuality", or "laughter as therapeutic modality"... to name a few.

How would one semester of Writing Foundations and Formal Reasoning, Literature, Western Civilization, Social Science and other not be of benefit to someone in Computer Science?

How are general education courses, fluff courses?

You had general education classes in elementary and high school.

Second, if they're so beneficial, why aren't they required for everyone regardless of majors?

And third, if they're so important why are they electives, meaning, you may take one or another, and not majors?
So you think college graduates should be hired with elementary and high school writing and speaking skills?

Liberals love to kill ambition and personal foresight. The more they do that, the more dummy government dependents they have.

We're objecting them as requirement to get unrelated degrees.

Really, you're trying to sneak "science" into rest of those?

Why would any of those (except science) classes be requirement or mandatory to get a degree in mathematics or physics?

How are any of these courses NOT of benefit to someone seeking a degree in math or physics? Writing Foundations and Formal Reasoning (F.1 - F.2), Arts, Foreign Language and Culture, Global Perspectives, Literature, Natural Science and Technology, Social Science, Western Civilization.

I thought a college degree was supposed to indicate a well-rounded education. A four-year degree in math or physics qualifies you for what? Teach in middle school or maybe high school?

Students in most countries don't study culinary arts, psychology, liberal arts, and gender studies as requirement to get their STEM degrees.

More bullshit from Conservatives

The most popular majors in our country are Business, Education, Healthcare, STEM and Liberal Arts
Foreign countries make students take subjects directly related to their major.

So?
What is wrong with taking a few electives? Makes for a more balanced education

Doesn’t negate that contrary to Conservative misinformation, most students take relevant majors

Nothing wrong with electives if they're offered based on supply and demand, and not as requirement. Why would student be required to study "medieval philosophy", or "baroque arts" to get his mechanical engineering degree? You really like that class, do it outside of your major, as hobby perhaps.

When I am looking for mechanical engineer to design me a detail for my robotic station, I don't really care if he has knowledge in Rembrandt or Velazquez. We may, of course have some interesting conversation, but all I need from him is to design me a damn detail for my project.
You are not required to study medieval philosophy. Electives are in writing, literature, critical thinking, foreign languages.

Do you think if your mechanical engineer speaks Chinese that he is more employable? How about if he has good writing skills ?

I see you skipped my post 224. Today colleges require students to take approved courses in specified areas. So yes, beside your major, you have to take bullshit courses.

Yes and no, when I am looking to contract engineer for a project, it could be beneficial if he speaks Chinese if my machine is going to be installed in China. His knowledge of Chinese have absolutely no value to me if my machine is going to Germany or Mexico.

People who previously paid off their loans will get something in return for supporting this idea. It might not be a lot, but, I could see a 5-10K tax credit as a payoff to those voters.

So you think that handing out a pittance is going to satiate those who did the right thing and made sacrifices while watching those who made bad decisions and made no sacrifices are rewarded? How is that good public policy?

There are plenty.

From my daughter's university website.

"All students must complete 40 credits of general education, including at least one course (of three or more credits) from the list of approved courses offered in each of the following 10 areas: Writing Foundations and Formal Reasoning (F.1 - F.2), Arts, Foreign Language and Culture, Global Perspectives, Literature, Natural Science and Technology, Social Science, Western Civilization (E.1 - E.7), and Knowledge Applications (I.1). Note that courses in these knowledge areas may not double count with each other."

It doesn't matter that her major is computer science, she has to take "fillers" to satisfy requirement.

Most of fillers are on "first come first serve basis, so if "learning how to learn" (I'm not shitting you, that's the class name) class is full, you chose some of few dozen others, like: "media and social identity", or "human sexuality", or "laughter as therapeutic modality"... to name a few.

How would one semester of Writing Foundations and Formal Reasoning, Literature, Western Civilization, Social Science and other not be of benefit to someone in Computer Science?

How are general education courses, fluff courses?

You had general education classes in elementary and high school.

Second, if they're so beneficial, why aren't they required for everyone regardless of majors?

And third, if they're so important why are they electives, meaning, you may take one or another, and not majors?
So you think college graduates should be hired with elementary and high school writing and speaking skills?

You're really that dumb? You completely missed the point.

If writing and speaking skills are important, then they should not be electives, but required. Your elective today can be writing, but could be art, or modern literature. If you selected art, and not writing, you still graduate, with high school writing skills. Capisce?

I'm saying students should be studying what is in their interests. Forcing them to take classes unrelated to their majors isn't benefiting students, the ones who benefits are colleges and financiers/government.

More bullshit from Conservatives

The most popular majors in our country are Business, Education, Healthcare, STEM and Liberal Arts

So?

Doesn’t negate that contrary to Conservative misinformation, most students take relevant majors

Nothing wrong with electives if they're offered based on supply and demand, and not as requirement. Why would student be required to study "medieval philosophy", or "baroque arts" to get his mechanical engineering degree? You really like that class, do it outside of your major, as hobby perhaps.

When I am looking for mechanical engineer to design me a detail for my robotic station, I don't really care if he has knowledge in Rembrandt or Velazquez. We may, of course have some interesting conversation, but all I need from him is to design me a damn detail for my project.
You are not required to study medieval philosophy. Electives are in writing, literature, critical thinking, foreign languages.

Do you think if your mechanical engineer speaks Chinese that he is more employable? How about if he has good writing skills ?

I see you skipped my post 224. Today colleges require students to take approved courses in specified areas. So yes, beside your major, you have to take bullshit courses.

Yes and no, when I am looking to contract engineer for a project, it could be beneficial if he speaks Chinese if my machine is going to be installed in China. His knowledge of Chinese have absolutely no value to me if my machine is going to Germany or Mexico.

Your engineer will be more valuable if he speaks the language of your customer. He is more valuable if he has good speaking and writing skills, he is more valuable if he understands global dynamics and history, he is more valuable if he is more than a math and science geek.

We're objecting them as requirement to get unrelated degrees.

Really, you're trying to sneak "science" into rest of those?

Why would any of those (except science) classes be requirement or mandatory to get a degree in mathematics or physics?

How are any of these courses NOT of benefit to someone seeking a degree in math or physics? Writing Foundations and Formal Reasoning (F.1 - F.2), Arts, Foreign Language and Culture, Global Perspectives, Literature, Natural Science and Technology, Social Science, Western Civilization.

I thought a college degree was supposed to indicate a well-rounded education. A four-year degree in math or physics qualifies you for what? Teach in middle school or maybe high school?

You explain to me how IS?

When your major is math or physics, you take ONE of electives, not all. How that one elective, a filler required to get your math or physics degree, in lets say arts (and that's not all art, but little fraction of overall art, otherwise it would be a major), would benefit that math or physics student?

So?

Your engineer will be more valuable if he speaks the language of your customer. He is more valuable if he has good speaking and writing skills, he is more valuable if he understands global dynamics and history, he is more valuable if he is more than a math and science geek.

Sure he is. If he's engineer that knows few languages, has good speaking and writing skills, and understand global dynamics and history... great. But he doesn't take all those classes when he gets his degree, he takes only one, a bullshit filler, that is required to get degree. So you get engineer that speaks Portuguese (cause thats what he chose as filler), with no college writing or speaking skills, with no knowledge in history (that I as employer couldn't care less). Or you get and engineer that knows no foreign language, no college speaking or writing skills, but he knows everything about Greek art (because that's what he chose as filler).

Father is telling Warren...

I got fucked, so every other parent should get fucked

So his neighbor who bought new cars instead of saving for his kids college did the right thing? That is what typical Democrats do. They spend all their own money on whatever makes them happy at the time and then look for others to pay for what they deem to be necessities. Leeches.

Liberalism is all about greed. Getting the government to force other people to pay your bills because you feel entitled. Despicable and Warren and Bernie and all these other asshole Democrats play off that greed big time and the Moon Bats lap it up.
How is helping young people get an education Greed?
Our government did has nothing to do with helping young people get an education. It's about enriching one of their biggest constituencies. It's about putting undeserving people in college. It's about overcharging the maximum amount of people. It's about It's about setting up a bank bailout. Our Democratically controlled education system is shot.

People who previously paid off their loans will get something in return for supporting this idea. It might not be a lot, but, I could see a 5-10K tax credit as a payoff to those voters.

So you think that handing out a pittance is going to satiate those who did the right thing and made sacrifices while watching those who made bad decisions and made no sacrifices are rewarded? How is that good public policy?
It makes liberals feel good

So?

Sure he is. If he's engineer that knows few languages, has good speaking and writing skills, and understand global dynamics and history... great. But he doesn't take all those classes when he gets his degree, he takes only one, a bullshit filler, that is required to get degree. So you get engineer that speaks Portuguese (cause thats what he chose as filler), with no college writing or speaking skills, with no knowledge in history (that I as employer couldn't care less). Or you get and engineer that knows no foreign language, no college speaking or writing skills, but he knows everything about Greek art (because that's what he chose as filler).
It is why colleges require a more rounded education.
Nobody wants to hire a one dimensional geek

And you suffered under such an assessment, never got hired, and are one dimensionally bitter about it.

If that engineer has, say minor in Mandarin he is not going to be looking to you for a job, He's eligible for a far higher pay grade. Would that minor in Mandarin have value to you if parts were to be made in China?

Are strong reading and writing skills not important to an engineer? Are social studies or history not valuable to anyone?

No one here has named any "fluff" courses required by all universities.

What chafes me is that Universities find it necessary to teach remedial English and arithmetic courses in order to bring supposed high school graduates up to even a mediocre level so they can attend college classes.

These kids know exactly what they're doing to themselves, but they do it anyway. I am 50 this year. By the time I was 28 I got my second masters (MS/MCS, the first one was MSE), but I didn't stop there. In my mid 30's I was trying to get my third degree (BA, didn't get it, work, family, kids), not because I needed it, but because I could get it cheap, by getting reimbursed from the company I worked for. I'm telling you this so you can see that I spent time around kids in college, and I tried countless times to talk my 18-20 year old friends off the ledge of majoring in some useless shit. But they all felt that their "passion" was more important. I told them that life is a 9-5 grind and they're going to be debt slaves for four decades if they major in philosophy or anthropology or whatever.

They didn't listen. So fuck them. They have the internet, they have people like me, they have parents, and they still destroy their life to get an easy diploma and 4 years of partying. Stop treating them like they're mindless children who can't understand consequences. They know how to count.

You're an idiot if you think those in deep, unmanageable college debt deserve our sympathy. Many college kids make prudent decisions regarding what to study, and end up being able to pay off their student debt within 10 or so years. The ones who'd be benefiting from a bailout are the most irresponsible ones with the biggest sense of entitlement. The ones who chose a pricey school over a cheap(er) one, majored in something easy/useless, and ignored every piece of advice to not do so. If you care about them so much, Zelle/venmo them some dollarydoos. As an American who will have to foot the bill involuntarily, I won't have such a choice.

And you suffered under such an assessment, never got hired, and are one dimensionally bitter about it.
Evidently not
I worked 40 years as an Engineer and retired in upper management. I saw what happened to those Engineers who were just math and science geeks

Colleges require no rounded education anymore. Unless you’re talking about guys using the girls toilet.

Forum List

Back