Washington D.C. set to become the 51st State...vote on Friday

...2 more dem Senators as bonus!
Before the Civil war if you had a slave state, i.e, democrat state, be added to the union they would not do it unless you equaled things out by adding a free state.

The same should apply now. So which state do the free states get?

All of the territories should become states. Make it 3 states. DC a state, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands a state, the Pacific territories (Guam, Marianas, American Samoa) a state. DC and PR have much bigger populations than Wyoming. The Pacific territories cover a much bigger expanse, and as Republicans so often tell us, empty real estate matters more than people.

Before the Civil war if you had a slave state, i.e, democrat state, be added to the union they would not do it unless you equaled things out by adding a free state.

Republicans are the Confederates now, remember? I mean, it's not the Democrats waving Confederate flags and having tantrums when slaver monuments get removed.

Article IV, section 3 details the process of admitting new states. The territory has to consent, both the House and the Senate have to vote yes, and then President has to sign. So no, it won't happen while Trump is in office.

...2 more dem Senators as bonus!
Sorry but it can't happen regardless of the vote, DC's status is enshrined within the Constitution. It would take a Constitutional Convention to change it.

Congress shall have power * * * To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution-conan/article-1/section-8/clause-17

Republicans are the Confederates now, remember? I mean, it's not the Democrats waving Confederate flags and having tantrums when slaver monuments get removed.

Article IV, section 3 details the process of admitting new states. The territory has to consent, both the House and the Senate have to vote yes, and then President has to sign. So no, it won't happen while Trump is in office.
Doesn't matter who approves in this case, without changing the Constitution DC will never become a State.

Forum List

Back