🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

WATCH: Ferguson Protesters Chant ‘We’re Ready for War’

How do you explain why John McNeil, a successful Black business man, was sent to prison for killing a white man under even more compelling circumstances than those faed by GZ? Does Stand Your Ground only apply to White people?

When police investigated the death of Brian Epp, they determined that John McNeil was merely acting in self-defense when he shot Epp for allegedly loitering on his property, threatening him and his 19-year-old son with a knife. They didn’t charge him with any crime. But 274 days later, McNeil was prosecuted and sentenced to life in prison,

You see, here is a black man who didn't have a criminal record at all and was a college graduate.

HIs crime: Killing a no account white man who attacked him. A year after the police cleared him, a racist DA and probably an all white jury collaborated to destroy a good black family. Double standards seem to abound in Florida.

John McNeil Freed After Being Convicted Of Shooting Home Intruder News One

"McNeil and Epp had a long-running feud that intensified as Epp was wrapping up construction of the house for the McNeils. The McNeils moved in and planned to spend their first night in their new home on Dec. 5, even though Epp had a few items still on his to-do list.

McNeil never denied he shot Epp in the driveway of his new home. He said he was rushing home because his 19-year-old son had called him to report a strange man in their back yard had threatened to cut him with a box cutter.

McNeil was on the telephone with the 911 when he pulled into his neighborhood. He told the 911 operator to send someone quickly because he intended to confront Epp, according to a recording played in court.

The operator urged him to stay in his car and wait for police.

“When you get a call from your kids that somebody’s got a knife pulled on them, threatening them, the first thing you want to do is get home and protect your kid, ” John McNeil testified. “So I said I was going to whip his ass.”

McNeil got out of his car with a gun and confronted Epp as the contractor walked over from the house next door. Witnesses said Epp didn’t stop even after McNeil fired a shot into the ground. The second time he fired, McNeil shot the contractor in the face with a hollow-point bullet.

Because Epp had a knife in his front pants pocket McNeil’s lawyer argued then and now that the shooting was justified."

So McNeil went there looking for a fight (can't say I blame him too much for that frankly) and Epp basically said you want a piece lets go "whoop my ass" and then McNeil, despite the fact that Epp's knife was in his pocket, shot him in the face.

... It's not stand your ground if you go in looking for a fight, it's not defending yourself if you go in looking for a fight. THAT is why McNeil went to jail...
Then why didn't Zimmerman? He was told to stay put too.

1. No he wasn't.

2. In neither case was the dispatcher in a position to order the men to do anything.

GZ's behavior was certainly erratic and suspicious in and of itself. Any sane hue-man would have been alarmed by his actions. The dispatcher tried to diffuse the vigilante's, GZ's, spoken intent to interact with TM.
He had already slowly passed by his victim , then stopped and got out of the truck and stood near the path of the oncoming Martin. If I remember correctly, Martin decided to avoid the dangerous acting thug, GZ, and trotted off his path into the darkness where GZ freaked out and gave chase; all the while disregarding the dispatcher's warnings to leave the man alone.

A credit to the courage of Trayon Martin was his decision to confront a stalker who was larger than him and could be armed with anything. Unfortunately, it did not end well for TM. too bad he was unarmed. He should have shot GZ in his fat face without hesitation or mental reservation when the fool found him.

Blacks rightfully don't like being unfairly picked on by official officers of the law. So I can completely understand a black guy wanting to kick the shit out of a pussy like George Zimmerman for disrespecting him and questioning him.

Ever notice whites want to talk about freedom in this country yet a young black man with a hoody isn't free to walk the streets without being stopped by some cracker loser. Oh, and whites will say, "he's not white he's hispanic". That is the most ignorant thing I have ever heard. He's white. He enjoys white privilage. And so will every other hispanic and arab as soon as they lose the accents. This is why blacks are so pissed. It's easier to be a 2nd generation mexican or muslim than it is to be a black who's family has been in this country for hundreds of years.

Anyways, I don't approve of ghetto young black men who come into a gated community, one that's probably had burglaries, and beat up the neighborhood watch guy either. This isn't all black and white. But I would have thrown George Zimmerman in jail for 10 years. I mean 20 years out in 10 for good behavior.

Whether you approve of "ghetto young black men who come into a gated community" or not, is immaterial. You don't know if they have genuine purpose to be there. Since there were black families in that community there should have been a reasonable expectation that they would have outside visits from friends and relatives.

"McNeil and Epp had a long-running feud that intensified as Epp was wrapping up construction of the house for the McNeils. The McNeils moved in and planned to spend their first night in their new home on Dec. 5, even though Epp had a few items still on his to-do list.

McNeil never denied he shot Epp in the driveway of his new home. He said he was rushing home because his 19-year-old son had called him to report a strange man in their back yard had threatened to cut him with a box cutter.

McNeil was on the telephone with the 911 when he pulled into his neighborhood. He told the 911 operator to send someone quickly because he intended to confront Epp, according to a recording played in court.

“When you get a call from your kids that somebody’s got a knife pulled on them, threatening them, the first thing you want to do is get home and protect your kid, ” John McNeil testified. “So I said I was going to whip his ass.”

McNeil got out of his car with a gun and confronted Epp as the contractor walked over from the house next door. Witnesses said Epp didn’t stop even after McNeil fired a shot into the ground. The second time he fired, McNeil shot the contractor in the face with a hollow-point bullet.

Because Epp had a knife in his front pants pocket McNeil’s lawyer argued then and now that the shooting was justified."

So McNeil went there looking for a fight (can't say I blame him too much for that frankly) and Epp basically said you want a piece lets go "whoop my ass" and then McNeil, despite the fact that Epp's knife was in his pocket, shot him in the face.

... It's not stand your ground if you go in looking for a fight, it's not defending yourself if you go in looking for a fight. THAT is why McNeil went to jail...

1. No he wasn't.

2. In neither case was the dispatcher in a position to order the men to do anything.

GZ's behavior was certainly erratic and suspicious in and of itself. Any sane hue-man would have been alarmed by his actions. The dispatcher tried to diffuse the vigilante's, GZ's, spoken intent to interact with TM.
He had already slowly passed by his victim , then stopped and got out of the truck and stood near the path of the oncoming Martin. If I remember correctly, Martin decided to avoid the dangerous acting thug, GZ, and trotted off his path into the darkness where GZ freaked out and gave chase; all the while disregarding the dispatcher's warnings to leave the man alone.

A credit to the courage of Trayon Martin was his decision to confront a stalker who was larger than him and could be armed with anything. Unfortunately, it did not end well for TM. too bad he was unarmed. He should have shot GZ in his fat face without hesitation or mental reservation when the fool found him.

Blacks rightfully don't like being unfairly picked on by official officers of the law. So I can completely understand a black guy wanting to kick the shit out of a pussy like George Zimmerman for disrespecting him and questioning him.

Ever notice whites want to talk about freedom in this country yet a young black man with a hoody isn't free to walk the streets without being stopped by some cracker loser. Oh, and whites will say, "he's not white he's hispanic". That is the most ignorant thing I have ever heard. He's white. He enjoys white privilage. And so will every other hispanic and arab as soon as they lose the accents. This is why blacks are so pissed. It's easier to be a 2nd generation mexican or muslim than it is to be a black who's family has been in this country for hundreds of years.

Anyways, I don't approve of ghetto young black men who come into a gated community, one that's probably had burglaries, and beat up the neighborhood watch guy either. This isn't all black and white. But I would have thrown George Zimmerman in jail for 10 years. I mean 20 years out in 10 for good behavior.

Whether you approve of "ghetto young black men who come into a gated community" or not, is immaterial. You don't know if they have genuine purpose to be there. Since there were black families in that community there should have been a reasonable expectation that they would have outside visits from friends and relatives.
I live in condos on a lake. Very nice. Occasionally we get kids that walk down from the road to the lake, clearly walking past the private property residents only sign. Lucky for us we have a racist drunk white old lady who is like our watch dog. She chases kids out all the time. If she asks them who they are there to visit, they get an attitude like she's being a bitch well you know what? Who are you there to visit? And we've had cars broken into and homes robbed (me). So if Zimmerman was questioning Trevon and Trevon attacked, well, I guess I can see Georges side of it too. But he's still a pussy murderer.

So its sad but we do stereotype and profile. Sure those kids could be visiting someone in our condos. And I doubt we would ever question an adult white who was walking around. Sad truth.

1. No he wasn't.

I live in condos on a lake. Very nice. Occasionally we get kids that walk down from the road to the lake, clearly walking past the private property residents only sign. Lucky for us we have a racist drunk white old lady who is like our watch dog. She chases kids out all the time. If she asks them who they are there to visit, they get an attitude like she's being a bitch well you know what? Who are you there to visit? And we've had cars broken into and homes robbed (me). So if Zimmerman was questioning Trevon and Trevon attacked, well, I guess I can see Georges side of it too. But he's still a pussy murderer.

So its sad but we do stereotype and profile. Sure those kids could be visiting someone in our condos. And I doubt we would ever question an adult white who was walking around. Sad truth.
Lakes and beaches usually cannot be owned by individuals. Sometimes they try to privatize access to those areas and put up no trespassing signs to keep people from enjoying public beaches or lakes they want to have all to themselves. That could be illegal if there is no other way to those areas except via a private roadway!

1. No he wasn't.

Lakes and beaches usually cannot be owned by individuals. Sometimes they try to privatize access to those areas and put up no trespassing signs to keep people from enjoying public beaches or lakes they want to have all to themselves. That could be illegal if there is no other way to those areas except via a private roadway!
They can walk the shoreline but they can't walk to the water from our property. There is no public anything in front of my house.

You have zero idea how land works JQ... Look, if you /really/ think you have the right to use x facilities (lake/beach/roads,) then you best call the city and ask them if that's public use land before you pass any "no trespass" sign...

I own 50' of lake front and I can tell you straight up that you absolutely do /not/ have the right to use my lake access, not even to "pass through" like Sealybobo's case. Not four or five years ago the folks 4 or 5 lots down from my place had a big hubbub about land use. They sued, and won, against a few of their neighbors who had [illegally] made a boat launch over their undeveloped lot. They also sued the city, and won, because the city had actually been [illegally] plowing a road through the folk's lot, without permission, to give winter lake road access. The [illegal] boat launch and road had been there for like 15 years so it was pretty much a fixture of the 'lake', everyone "thought" was public use - Well it turns out that the owners of the lot had passed away and given the lot to their out of state kid, the kid had immediately sold the adjoining cabin lot but since the [illegal boat launch] lot was undeveloped as far as he knew, and he didn't want to put the money into pre-development (which is super expensive on lake frontage due to EPA regulations,) he had just let it sit for like 10 years intending to develop and sell it when he retired. In the end, the few neighbors who knew that the land was being used illegally, and the city who had kind of forwarded the impression it was public by plowing in a road, got their ass spanked in court for trespassing and illegal use of private land. The city not only had to pay what equates to "back rent" for their promotion of the illegal public use of the property, but they had to pay to block off the illegal roadway they had been plowing in for well over a decade.

Back to the Zimmerman and McNeil cases:

Read the ruling and you will understand WHY the case I presented and Zimmerman are different. You are being intentionally dumb to not admit the differences and intentionally ignoring truth in order to, ultimately, promote racism, and frankly I find it disgusting. I'm tired of games, I'm tired of bullshit, and I'm tired of lies.

~ George Zimmerman found not guilty of murder in Trayvon Martin s death - CNN.com

The decision

The jury had three choices: to find Zimmerman guilty of second-degree murder; to find him guilty of a lesser charge of manslaughter; or to find him not guilty.

For second-degree murder, the jurors would have had to believe that Martin's unlawful killing was "done from ill will, hatred, spite or an evil intent" and would be "of such a nature that the act itself indicates an indifference to human life."

To convict Zimmerman of manslaughter, the jurors would have had to believe he "intentionally committed an act or acts that caused the death of Trayvon Martin." That charge could have carried a sentence of up to 30 years in prison, though the jury was not told of that possible sentence.

Ultimately, they believed Zimmerman wasn't guilty of either charge. None of the jurors wanted to speak to the media after the verdict.

----

Do you see the key difference from the McNeil case?

McNeil said on the recorded 911 call that he intended to "whip his ass" - now read the above reasons Zimmer went free again.

The jury in the McNeil case actually /DID/ agree with McNeil's actions to a point; he was in fear for his kids life, he was protecting his property, and he did fire a warning shot into the ground. That's why McNeil only got 6 years (instead of the typical 30 years or more.)

However, the fact remains that McNeil INTENTIONALLY and WILLFULLY got out of his car WITH A FUCKING LOADED GUN, intending to whip someone's ass and fucking shot them in the face - this is not the same at all as the Zimmerman case, not one fucking bit.

Zimmerman on the other hand was [allegedly] on his way back to his truck when Martin jumped his ass and started beating him up...

I am frankly baffled that /anyone/ cannot see the clear difference between the two cases.

Zimmerman said:
Zimmerman witness statements:

The only eyewitness to the end of the confrontation stated that Martin was on top of Zimmerman and punching him, while Zimmerman was yelling for help. This witness, who identified himself as "John", stated that "the guy on the bottom, who had a red sweater on, was yelling to me, 'Help! Help!' and I told him to stop, and I was calling 911".[114] He went on to say that when he got upstairs and looked down, "the guy who was on the top beating up the other guy, was the one laying in the grass, and I believe he was dead at that point."[114][115][116]

One eyewitness statement given the night of the shooting describes "a black male, wearing a dark colored 'hoodie' on top of a white or Hispanic male who was yelling for help." The witness said that the black male was throwing punches "MMA [mixed martial arts] style." After hearing a "pop," he saw the black male "laid out on the grass."[130][131] When the witness was subsequently interviewed weeks later by a different agency, the witness said he thought that the black male was either punching or pinning the lighter skinned male underneath him. He was no longer certain who was calling for help, having not seen their mouths in the dark. He was still certain that the black male had been on top of the lighter-skinned male.[132] (~ I'm guessing this was either John, or his wife, but we don't actually know)

On March 20, 2012, Martin family attorney Benjamin Crump revealed that Martin had been on the phone with a friend moments before he was shot.[133][134][135] This friend later identified Zimmerman as the aggressor in the deadly confrontation.[136] At Zimmerman's trial, this friend testified that she did not know whether Zimmerman or Martin started the fight.[137] During an ABC News exclusive report, Crump allowed portions of his recorded interview with Martin's friend to be aired. She said that Martin told her that a man was watching him from his vehicle while talking on the phone before the man started following Martin. Martin told his friend at one point that he had lost the man but the man suddenly appeared again.[134][135][138] The friend, originally known only as "Witness 8" (now known as Rachel Jeantel), said that she told Martin to run to the townhouse where he was staying with his father and the father's fiancée.[135] She then heard Martin say, "What are you following me for?" followed by a man's voice responding, "What are you doing around here?" She testified that she then heard what sounded like Martin's phone earpiece dropping into wet grass, and she heard the sound of Martin's voice saying "Get off! Get off!" The phone then went dead, she said: "I was trying to say Trayvon, Trayvon, what's going on," Jeantel testified. "I started hearing a little of Trayvon saying 'Get off, get off,'" when the phone went silent.[139][140][141][142] She immediately attempted to call him back, but was unable to reach him.[143] Crump stated that he would turn the information over to the Justice Department because "the family does not trust the Sanford Police Department to have anything to do with the investigation."[134] Martin's friend was subsequently interviewed by state prosecutors on April 2, 2012. During her interview with the prosecutor, Martin's friend recounted her last phone call with Martin and added that Martin had described the man as "crazy and creepy", watching him from a vehicle while the man was talking on the phone.[135] She also testified that Martin referred to Zimmerman as a "creepy ass cracker" and "nigga" during their telephone conversation.[144][145] On March 6, 2013, prosecutors admitted that she had lied under oath, when she falsely testified that she had been in the hospital on the day of Martin's funeral. She later admitted being embarrassed about lying and that she felt guilty about Martin's death and not doing more to help.[146][147][148] Crump had refused to disclose the identity of Witness 8, stating that she was only 16, a minor at the time of the shooting, and asked the media to respect her privacy.[149] It was subsequently revealed that she was actually 18 at the time when she said she was on the phone with Martin.[150] According to the defense, her actual age had been edited out of previously released disclosures.[151] Crump has denied intentionally giving any misleading statements about her age.[152] Witness 8 was subsequently identified as Rachel Jeantel, a friend with whom Martin had attended elementary school and high school.[153]

Zimmerman Court Findings:

On March 13, 2012, Chris Serino sent a capias request to the state's attorney recommending charges of negligent manslaughter against Zimmerman, though Serino maintains he did not believe they had the evidence to support those charges and that manslaughter was only included in the capias in order for the prosecutor's office to continue with their own investigation.[20][87][88][89] The capias states, "the encounter between George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin was ultimately avoidable by Zimmerman, if Zimmerman had remained in his vehicle and waited the arrival of law enforcement or conversely if he had identified himself to Martin as a concerned citizen and initiated dialog in an effort to dispel each party's concern". "There is no indication that Trayvon Martin was involved in any criminal activity at the time of the encounter."[90] The State Attorney's office initially determined there was insufficient evidence to charge Zimmerman and did not file charges based on the capias request.[89][91][92]

On March 16, Serino told the Orlando Sentinel that his investigation had turned up no reliable evidence that cast doubt on Zimmerman's account, that he had acted in self-defense. "The best evidence we have is the testimony of George Zimmerman, and he says the decedent was the primary aggressor in the whole event, everything I have is adding up to what he says."

On March 20, 2012, the Justice Department announced that it was opening investigations into the incident.[99] The FBI opened a parallel investigation into whether Martin's civil rights were violated, interviewed witnesses, and looked into Zimmerman's background.[100]

On July 12, reports of some of the more than 30 interviews conducted by the FBI were released by Special Prosecutor Angela Corey to Zimmerman's attorney, who released them to the public. The released reports do not draw any conclusions in the DOJ investigation.[101] The Sanford Police Department's lead investigator, Chris Serino, told FBI agents that he believed Zimmerman's actions were not based on Martin's race, but instead on Martin's attire, the circumstances of the encounter, and previous burglaries in the neighborhood. Zimmerman's neighbors and co-workers were interviewed as well. Neighbors who knew Zimmerman had nothing derogatory to say about him and his co-workers were complimentary of him.[101]

Serino also told the FBI that he had felt pressure from three officers within the department to charge Zimmerman although he "did not believe he had enough evidence at the time to file charges", and accused one of these officers of being friendly with Martin's father. He also expressed concern to the FBI about possible leaks of evidence to the media from within the department.[102]

On July 13, 2013, shortly after the trial verdict, the U.S. Justice Department issued a statement saying its investigation into the civil rights aspects of the case was continuing.[103] On 24 February 2015, 35 months after it began, the civil rights investigation of the Justice Department was terminated, for lack of evidence.[15] The FBI investigation was concurrently terminated, for the same reason.[104]

People ignore reality in the Martin/Zimmerman case, they ignore, not only, the police investigation, but that of the JOD, the FBI, AND the jury's findings, in order to forward a LIE, a flat out LIE that only serves to promote racism, anger, and hate. It is wrong and it is disgusting frankly. They do the same bullshit with Mike Brown, they do the same shit with /MOST/ of the fucking cases because /they/ want racism - it sells for the twisted media, it pisses people off, and it keeps this country divided.

These people don't want "justice" and they don't want "peace" - they want a fight - and that is a part, a big part, of the reason these "poor" black kids are getting shot, because people like you JQ are LYING to them, encouraging them to fight by claiming the system is "in the wrong," even when the system is not in the wrong. People like you, who choose to ignore reality with the sole intention of promoting violence and racism, are not honest, are not "good people," and sure as fuck are not seeking "justice" in any way shape or form.

The more lies we the public hear, the more we realize that it's bullshit and the less traction you will have to even fix those few "actual" wrongs that might occur. Shooting yourselves in the foot and setting back actual progress that had been made. Not that folks like you really care, you just want to be "important" you just want to feel "special" so you'll continue the lies and falsehoods. It's just sad. And worse, because you're not going to "win," even if you take up arms and start blowing whites or cops away out of hate, you cannot "win." American's, as a civilization, as a nation, believe in truth, and we believe in "real" justice, ultimately, eventually, they're going to figure out the false game that's being played. Ya'll should seriously stop now, while you have America's ear and sympathy, before that "line" is crossed and we pretty much say fuck off to all the bullshit - because if that happens, then all those racist fuck officers that do exist are pretty much going to have open season simply because the people don't believe the false claims anymore.

I'll admit I'm less patient with it because of my personal despise for liars and deception, but I don't think I'm so far ahead of the general public. My mind is already closing after so many cases of bullshit, after so many lies... I'm a law type, real big on justice, on the diversity of America, and the "idea" of America - I sincerely believe that diversity and freedom makes us stronger as a country, it is an asset we shouldn't lose in all things, even those things I don't even believe in (like religion and shit.) I'm a /good/ ally, but not when my allies lie to me, and especially not when they intentionally lie to promote violence within /my/ people or all colors, all religions, all orientations, all Americans... This /movement/ is becoming my enemy, slowly but surely, the disrespect for our laws, the disrespect for our people, the disrespect for each other. This is not the America I want my children growing up in...

So when it boils down to it, and "your" camp is chanting for war like this, people like me, even peaceful /fair/ people like me, are going - I don't want a war, but if you bring it, I'm ready to fight for what /I/ believe in as well...

You have zero idea how land works JQ... Look, if you /really/ think you have the right to use x facilities (lake/beach/roads,) then you best call the city and ask them if that's public use land before you pass any "no trespass" sign...

I own 50' of lake front and I can tell you straight up that you absolutely do /not/ have the right to use my lake access, not even to "pass through" like Sealybobo's case. Not four or five years ago the folks 4 or 5 lots down from my place had a big hubbub about land use. They sued, and won, against a few of their neighbors who had [illegally] made a boat launch over their undeveloped lot. They also sued the city, and won, because the city had actually been [illegally] plowing a road through the folk's lot, without permission, to give winter lake road access. The [illegal] boat launch and road had been there for like 15 years so it was pretty much a fixture of the 'lake', everyone "thought" was public use - Well it turns out that the owners of the lot had passed away and given the lot to their out of state kid, the kid had immediately sold the adjoining cabin lot but since the [illegal boat launch] lot was undeveloped as far as he knew, and he didn't want to put the money into pre-development (which is super expensive on lake frontage due to EPA regulations,) he had just let it sit for like 10 years intending to develop and sell it when he retired. In the end, the few neighbors who knew that the land was being used illegally, and the city who had kind of forwarded the impression it was public by plowing in a road, got their ass spanked in court for trespassing and illegal use of private land. The city not only had to pay what equates to "back rent" for their promotion of the illegal public use of the property, but they had to pay to block off the illegal roadway they had been plowing in for well over a decade.

That is a nice story and it sounds quite credible. I don't profess to know how each state or municipality handles public access to natural resources like lakes and other landmarks or attractions that are landlocked by private property but i have some idea about how my state handles such matters.

My state gives outright ownership to any person who openly makes use of the properly of another for ten years if the original owner does not sue in that time frame. Had that scenario you posted been in my state, the parcel or illegal easement on which the boat ramp was built would have become the property of the people who built it and maintained it after ten years. The road would likely have become city or state property under Eminent Domain after ten years, although a time limit isn't necessary to evoke ED. Anytime there is a compelling business interest, private property can be taken whether the owner agrees or not.

Of course a fair market value or compensation usually accompanies ED takeovers.

In your opening salvo you suggested I call the city. state. Burea of Land management or whatever before venturing past a "no trespass sign." Well. obviously in your scenario , with the city being culpable in the case that would have been interesting. How would the city attorneys have responded to such a call?

Speaking of city attorneys, I can't imagine a city making a roadway over private land without consulting their city attorney. Since you are such a prolific writer, perhaps you can shed some light on why the city attorney allowed all of that construction on private land (boat ramp and road) without a city permit. I am not being flippant, I just find this an interesting case.

Back to the Zimmerman and McNeil cases:

Read the ruling and you will understand WHY the case I presented and Zimmerman are different. You are being intentionally dumb to not admit the differences and intentionally ignoring truth in order to, ultimately, promote racism, and frankly I find it disgusting. I'm tired of games, I'm tired of bullshit, and I'm tired of lies.

~ George Zimmerman found not guilty of murder in Trayvon Martin s death - CNN.com

I've read the ruling and I've heard all the arguments you just posited in favor of Zimmerman. Nothing new here folks. But beware: Evercurious is tired of anything that doesn't fit his/her worldview. Look, Ec, your disdain for lies isn't any more valued than mine or that of anyone else.
I hope you understand that what you call lies, doesn't necessarily make it so. I haven't lied in my encapsulation of events concerning the Martin/Zimmerman affair but I do have an opinion that is different from yours concerning who was actually standing their ground.
Unlike you, I examined the events through the eyes of both GZ AND Martin as best I could with the evidence available to me. You simply imagined what poor GZ was thinking when he saw that "thug."Right?

I imagined that I was Trayvon walking in the rain with candy and a drink when some shady looking character started shadowing me.( I have already laid out the order of events that followed up to the chase.)
Fearful, I looked back and saw the fat stranger (GZ) chasing after me.
I decided to hide in the shadows and wait for the strange white dude to pass by so I can confront him and ask him what is his problem. (stop)

Martin is armed only with his fists but he decides to stand his ground. He feels threatened and is therefore covered under the SOG laws of Florida and can now use deadly force to resist his attacker...the man chasing him. Under the cover of darkness and under the circumstances, Martin had every right to defend himself by any means necessary including deadly force. Too bad he didn't have a gun or a bowie knife.

Martin probably had no idea burglaries had taken place in the community and he was not concerned initially with anything more than getting home safely. GZ changed all of that by putting TM in fear and ultimately losing to an armed psychopath when he decided to stand his ground.

The decision

The jury had three choices: to find Zimmerman guilty of second-degree murder; to find him guilty of a lesser charge of manslaughter; or to find him not guilty.

For second-degree murder, the jurors would have had to believe that Martin's unlawful killing was "done from ill will, hatred, spite or an evil intent" and would be "of such a nature that the act itself indicates an indifference to human life."

To convict Zimmerman of manslaughter, the jurors would have had to believe he "intentionally committed an act or acts that caused the death of Trayvon Martin." That charge could have carried a sentence of up to 30 years in prison, though the jury was not told of that possible sentence.

Ultimately, they believed Zimmerman wasn't guilty of either charge. None of the jurors wanted to speak to the media after the verdict.

Yeah, yeah , yeah, and had Martin killed GZ all of the above would have been just as applicable.

Do you see the key difference from the McNeil case?

McNeil said on the recorded 911 call that he intended to "whip his ass" - now read the above reasons Zimmer went free again.

The jury in the McNeil case actually /DID/ agree with McNeil's actions to a point; he was in fear for his kids life, he was protecting his property, and he did fire a warning shot into the ground. That's why McNeil only got 6 years (instead of the typical 30 years or more.)

McNeil never said he was going to shoot or kill Epps. That is a key you seem to want to overlook. You are also ignorant of the fact that McNeil was initially absolved of wrongdoing and was free for nearly a year before being indicted, tried and sentenced to prison for LIFE not 6.
Don't let facts get in your way. He only did 6 due to the efforts of Black people who knew he was wrongully prosecuted and sentenced. Thank you NAACP
In 2006, McNeil was convicted for shooting Brian Epp on his property after Mr. Epp threatened his son with a box cutter and charged at John, with the weapon in his pocket. Two white investigating officers concluded that McNeil did not commit a crime, but 294 days after the incident McNeil was charged with murder and sentenced to life in prison.

However, the fact remains that McNeil INTENTIONALLY and WILLFULLY got out of his car WITH A FUCKING LOADED GUN, intending to whip someone's ass and fucking shot them in the face - this is not the same at all as the Zimmerman case, not one fucking bit.

Zimmerman on the other hand was [allegedly] on his way back to his truck when Martin jumped his ass and started beating him up...

I am frankly baffled that /anyone/ cannot see the clear difference between the two cases.

Are you that STUPID? Are you going to bring empty hands to a scene where an adult is said to be armed with a knife and threatening your child? And he didn't just shoot the THUG in the face, he fired a warning shot first...that is more than GZ did for TM. Epps saw that gun and kept coming, actually charging by some accounts, and got shot in his FUCKING THUG ASS FACE! GOOD RIDDANCE!

II guess Epps was baffled too! The dumb SOB probably thought the Black guy was bluffing and would never shoot a white man.... after all; the cops, the justice system and everything else had HIS back...and they did! until the NAACP stepped in to get McNeil Freed from a LIFE SENTENCE....

That is a nice story and it sounds quite credible. I don't profess to know how each state or municipality handles public access to natural resources like lakes and other landmarks or attractions that are landlocked by private property but i have some idea about how my state handles such matters.

My state gives outright ownership to any person who openly makes use of the properly of another for ten years if the original owner does not sue in that time frame. Had that scenario you posted been in my state, the parcel or illegal easement on which the boat ramp was built would have become the property of the people who built it and maintained it after ten years. The road would likely have become city or state property under Eminent Domain after ten years, although a time limit isn't necessary to evoke ED. Anytime there is a compelling business interest, private property can be taken whether the owner agrees or not.

Of course a fair market value or compensation usually accompanies ED takeovers.

In your opening salvo you suggested I call the city. state. Burea of Land management or whatever before venturing past a "no trespass sign." Well. obviously in your scenario , with the city being culpable in the case that would have been interesting. How would the city attorneys have responded to such a call?

Speaking of city attorneys, I can't imagine a city making a roadway over private land without consulting their city attorney. Since you are such a prolific writer, perhaps you can shed some light on why the city attorney allowed all of that construction on private land (boat ramp and road) without a city permit. I am not being flippant, I just find this an interesting case.

I feel sorry for states with bullshit like that...

The only way they can "take" land from us up here is if they find oil, gold, nat. gas etc. but even then they have to pay top dollar /and/ in addition, we Alaskan's required that X% of money made on all state owned resources (oil, gold, etc) be put into a fund - a portion of which is set aside for future generations, another portion for paying state bills, and another portion goes back to the people, so in a sense we own the minerals and are compensated for it's use. Called the Alaska Permanent Fund and it pays every legal permanent resident of Alaska somewhere around $600-800 (on average) per year.

Anyway, land ownership is a big thing up here and such rights and protections are, and have been, included in our state constitution pretty much since we became a state - [Applicable points] Article 1 (7) - No person shall be deprived of life, liberty, or property without due process of law..., Article 1 (18) Private property shall not be taken or damaged for public use without just compensation., Article 8 (16) No person shall be involuntarily divested of his right to use of waters, his interest in lands, or improvements affecting either, except to a superior beneficial use or public purpose and then only with just compensation and by operation of law. (This last one here is the only flexibility there is.)

I doubt there even is a "city attorney" I mean we're talking about a "city" of say 200, maybe 300 people, most of whom are not year round residents... I can't find anything on the net about that specific case, it was a small local "thing" for about 50 people on our particular section of the lake, and frankly not really "state news worthy" so I'm not real surprised. I don't know the name of the kid, I searched for the pop's last name on court records and couldn't find anything about the case. I only know about it because I have property there and it was a "big deal" in the community newsletter one of the other owners puts out for all of us. (He sends us lake ice measurements, snow and fishing reports, and various gossip and warnings, like "There was a Griz at so and so's, be sure to watch your dogs and put the trash inside.") I will say that most of us felt the kid was out of line in suing over it, his father had made the "deal" and he didn't cancel it so no one thought it was a problem, no permanent harm was done to his land, etc., so we kind of felt like the kid was being a brat about it, but the law was in the kids favor none-the-less...

Anyway, as I remember, but don't quote me on it, the father was a soldier stationed up here after WWII broke out or something like that (he was there long before we bought in), he fell in love with the state and had bought the two properties on the lake up here as a "vacation home" kind of thing. He had always allowed everyone to use of the lot to get onto the ice road and as a boat launch kind of in exchange for checking up on his cabin, was kind of a "good neighbor" kind of thing, really common up here. Now the city is responsible for the plowing/maintenance of "public" roads as would be expected, but there comes a point where it's not economical for them to plow all of the so-called "public" side roads, happens pretty much anywhere in the state, but even more so in this area because a lot of the so-called public roads are in reality nothing more than six to ten mile long driveways with one house on them because the rest of the lots are vacant/undeveloped. You can't even drive like dump trucks down a lot of these roads, they're more like trails. (Sometimes we can't even get to our cabin because the roads are so nasty.) Anyway, so the city contracts out the maintenance and plowing out to a third party. The third party (on our little jut area into the lake anyway) plowed not only the various side roads (aka driveways lol), and parts of the ice lake roads, but various off shoot boat launches/ice road access "lanes" both private and public, basically kind of for everyone, but apparently, as we learned, not always legally.

This is kind of a community thing, like almost no one up here has a problem with say a fire truck using their launch to get onto the lake to save someone, and the city doesn't mind plowing an extra 30' swath to that persons launch spot so they can get "extra" or "quicker" lake road access. Such deals were never put in writing because it's not something that had ever really come up. Like the folks 3 cabin's up run a small airplane training school, the plow folks clear them a wider path so their planes can get out onto the winter runway and the city uses those same wider paths for tow truck emergency access when folks fall through the lake. The city has keys to this guys gates and they drive through there anytime they need to - because no one want's someone to drown over not being able to get onto this side of the lake to rescue them, that's just stupid. (We personally don't have a launch and leave our boats at the marina and the yacht club on the other side(s) of the lake, so I never dealt with the third party myself - I hired a private company to do my driveway, paths to my snow machine shed, garage, all my decks, a path to my dock, my dock, plus a "snow machine width" path to the ice road when I moved in cause I wanted it done x way.

Anyway, when the father passed away, I guess the kid had never been to the property, so I mean I suppose he was just going off of the lot documents - which would just indicate that the second lot (the one being [illegally] used as a boat launch/road access) was "undeveloped" and that the adjoining lot had the cabin on it. (The folks that bought that cabin didn't want the boat launch lot because their lot had one on it.) Ultimately, whatever number of years go by and the kid found out the lot was being used for the boat launch/lake road access - maybe he went to sell it and the appraiser mentioned it, or maybe he went to get power to it and they mentioned it or something idk. In the end the court said that the city had in effect [unintentionally] [illegally] used the lot for "public access" and thus had to compensate the owner for it. I do not recall how much the city had to pay, or how much/why the neighbors had to pay, but it was something along the liens of the court felt that they were liable because they knew the lot was under new ownership and at some point they had mentioned to the third party plow folk to continuing plowing it, or maybe that they were the ones who'd asked them to start plowing it in the beginning on behalf of the father, idk. It was a mess because the city didn't get it in writing - but the law doesn't excuse that ya know. Everyone in the area who lets the fire/police use their access had a "show of support" or w/e and all signed legal wavers specifically allowing the cities emergency folks "passage" so it won't happen again in our area for sure.

Not really.

IN the context of what sealy was implying, no it was bullshit, and false accusations of racism.

For example she mentions Trevon Martin. There was nothing racist about that. Thug attacks armed man, gets his ass shot.
Bullshit. It's why stand your ground is racist and we all know it.

Bullshit yourself.

Thugs don't have the right to beat their victims.

Their victims have the right to defend themselves.

Stand your ground is about you libs always taking the side of the criminal.

There is nothing racist about it.

Martin was judged by his actions and he got what he deserved.

That it is about his skin color to you, says something about your internal landscape, not mine.

How do you explain why John McNeil, a successful Black business man, was sent to prison for killing a white man under even more compelling circumstances than those faed by GZ? Does Stand Your Ground only apply to White people?

When police investigated the death of Brian Epp, they determined that John McNeil was merely acting in self-defense when he shot Epp for allegedly loitering on his property, threatening him and his 19-year-old son with a knife. They didn’t charge him with any crime. But 274 days later, McNeil was prosecuted and sentenced to life in prison,

You see, here is a black man who didn't have a criminal record at all and was a college graduate.

HIs crime: Killing a no account white man who attacked him. A year after the police cleared him, a racist DA and probably an all white jury collaborated to destroy a good black family. Double standards seem to abound in Florida.

No he was not. You're a fucking liar.

Well, sure the Brits and the Dutch were assholes by modern standards, the Spanish though were the ones really building whole nations of slaves were the real action was, the Caribbean.

I don't really feel any ownership of the actions of the 15th century brits or dutch.

I'm not really sure of your point here.

The Brits and the Dutch have not interfered in US society for quite some time, unless you have an issue with the Beatles.

Are you just lumping all whites together and holding modern US whites responsible for the actions of whites from other countries centuries before there was even a US?
Aw cut the BS, that highlighted slave transaction was the first to take place in the American colonies and the buyers were YOUR white American forefathers . That's when they got a taste of Black slavery and liked it. The rest is truly American History!

So, you want to judge 21st century American whites, not by our actions of the last 50 years, but by the actions of people that sort of looked like us, 400 years ago?

Based on what? That we share skin color?

Really?

Can I pick some black people and judge you by their actions? Would that be cool?

I am not only judging white America for what happened 350 years ago, I am judging you for every thing you did in between leading up to NOW.
Your sordid history is the object of my ire. Oh, I am not talking about the few white abolitionists who surfaced along the way and the few real Christian altruists with power enough to finally legislate manumission for Black slaves. I am talking about the general mass of white people who conspired, cheated, killed , and did anything possible to prevent Black equality.. People like you are still trying to do the same thing your ancestors did. You are "conservatives" alright,,,you want to conserve the past where Blacks were docile and meek and could be used or abused at a whim!

No, you are not.

You are ignoring the fact that Civil Rights for Blacks have been the consensus in White America, since the dems gave up the fight back in the 60s.

You are ignoring the last 40-50 years, where "the general masses of white people" has been bending over backwards supporting black equality.
No, I am not what? Which part of my narrative are you addressing with that quip?

No, there has NEVER been a consensus among the general White populace in America to embrace civil rights for Blacks. That is especially true among White males. Any progress in that regard has been advanced by a relatively few Whites with enough political clout to make a difference; often in the wake of deadly riots.
One of the most important catalysts was Martin Luther King's strategy designed to pimp the media whores into televising the plight of Black America across the world. It worked.

Kennedy and LBJ didn't just become concerned over Civil Rights in a vacuum. It was becoming increasingly clear that a national crisis was developing that could affect the standing of the US in the world at large.

The general white male populace was not concerned about that. All they saw was the "encroaching" masses of Blacks competing with them for jobs and competing with their sons for education.

The Democrats, being in ower at the time and seeing the big picture on a world stage, had little choice but to pass Civil Right's legislation. After all they diid not want Blacks looking at or thinking about Communism!
And they couldn't kill em all, not while the world was watching!

Whites,
Well, sure the Brits and the Dutch were assholes by modern standards, the Spanish though were the ones really building whole nations of slaves were the real action was, the Caribbean.

I don't really feel any ownership of the actions of the 15th century brits or dutch.

I'm not really sure of your point here.

The Brits and the Dutch have not interfered in US society for quite some time, unless you have an issue with the Beatles.

Are you just lumping all whites together and holding modern US whites responsible for the actions of whites from other countries centuries before there was even a US?
Aw cut the BS, that highlighted slave transaction was the first to take place in the American colonies and the buyers were YOUR white American forefathers . That's when they got a taste of Black slavery and liked it. The rest is truly American History!

So, you want to judge 21st century American whites, not by our actions of the last 50 years, but by the actions of people that sort of looked like us, 400 years ago?

Really?

Can I pick some black people and judge you by their actions? Would that be cool?

I am not only judging white America for what happened 350 years ago, I am judging you for every thing you did in between leading up to NOW.
Your sordid history is the object of my ire. Oh, I am not talking about the few white abolitionists who surfaced along the way and the few real Christian altruists with power enough to finally legislate manumission for Black slaves. I am talking about the general mass of white people who conspired, cheated, killed , and did anything possible to prevent Black equality.. People like you are still trying to do the same thing your ancestors did. You are "conservatives" alright,,,you want to conserve the past where Blacks were docile and meek and could be used or abused at a whim!

No, you are not.

You are ignoring the fact that Civil Rights for Blacks have been the consensus in White America, since the dems gave up the fight back in the 60s.

You are ignoring the last 40-50 years, where "the general masses of white people" has been bending over backwards supporting black equality.
No, I am not what? Which part of my narrative are you addressing with that quip?

No, there has NEVER been a consensus among the general White populace in America to embrace civil rights for Blacks. That is especially true among White males. Any progress in that regard has been advanced by a relatively few Whites with enough political clout to make a difference; often in the wake of deadly riots.
One of the most important catalysts was Martin Luther King's strategy designed to pimp the media whores into televising the plight of Black America across the world. It worked.

Kennedy and LBJ didn't just become concerned over Civil Rights in a vacuum. It was becoming increasingly clear that a national crisis was developing that could affect the standing of the US in the world at large.

The general white male populace was not concerned about that. All they saw was the "encroaching" masses of Blacks competing with them for jobs and competing with their sons for education.

The Democrats, being in ower at the time and seeing the big picture on a world stage, had little choice but to pass Civil Right's legislation. After all they diid not want Blacks looking at or thinking about Communism!

Who do you think elected and kept electing those "few whites" who made those policies?

The nation that elected JFK was 88% white.

Bullshit yourself.

Thugs don't have the right to beat their victims.

Their victims have the right to defend themselves.

Stand your ground is about you libs always taking the side of the criminal.

There is nothing racist about it.

Martin was judged by his actions and he got what he deserved.

That it is about his skin color to you, says something about your internal landscape, not mine.

1. No he wasn't.

Zimmerman was a NeighborHood Watch guy that was trying to keep an eye on a stranger in a gated community to vector in the police.

That is not erratic or suspicious.

Martin was witnessed sitting on top of Zimmerman and beating him while Zimmerman screamed for help.

1. No he wasn't.

Being "disrespected" does not give one the right to sit on a man and beat him while he screams for help.

Even if the disrespected person is black.

Zimmerman had the right to defend himself.

YOu don't see that, because of the skin color of the people involved.

1. No he wasn't.

Zimmerman had the right to defend himself.

Thus, he is not a murderer.

Considering that your living situation, thank you for sharing that, btw, it is unreasonable of you to slam Zimmerman, when you enjoy the protection from similar "kids".

The Obama legacy. Whom do you think they are going to war with? The democrat party that has subjugated them for 300 years? I wouldn't blame them, they have been lied to so much by the democrat party the rage was bound to boil to the surface.

WATCH Ferguson Protesters Chant We re Ready for War Mediaite

During Sunday night’s protest on the anniversary of the shooting death of African-American man Michael Brown, Ferguson protesters chanted that they were “ready for war.”

Better get you hoveround charged up!!

I guess the war would be rather short-dated if they're going to fight against the militarized police with handguns

Really?

No, you are not.

Whites,

Really?

No, you are not.

Who do you think elected and kept electing those "few whites" who made those policies?

Stop hiding behind that :nation " bull crap. People like you would never have voted for JFK if you had an inkling that he would respond to MLK the way he did! If you voted for him it wasn't because you loved blacks!

Really?

No, you are not.

Whites,

Really?

No, you are not.

Stop hiding behind that :nation " bull crap. People like you would never have voted for JFK if you had an inkling that he would respond to MLK the way he did! If you voted for him it wasn't because you loved blacks!

People like me did vote for JFK, and all the other Presidents since who have ALL been very clear in their support for equal Civil Rights for blacks.

You are denying that simple truth, because you want to judge White America by the actions of white guys 350 years ago.

The Obama legacy. Whom do you think they are going to war with? The democrat party that has subjugated them for 300 years? I wouldn't blame them, they have been lied to so much by the democrat party the rage was bound to boil to the surface.

WATCH Ferguson Protesters Chant We re Ready for War Mediaite

During Sunday night’s protest on the anniversary of the shooting death of African-American man Michael Brown, Ferguson protesters chanted that they were “ready for war.”

tell them they are joining an army and march them to leavenworth

1. No he wasn't.

Zimmerman was a NeighborHood Watch guy that was trying to keep an eye on a stranger in a gated community to vector in the police.

That is not erratic or suspicious.

Martin was witnessed sitting on top of Zimmerman and beating him while Zimmerman screamed for help.
Martin didn't know who the fuck GZ was. All he saw was a strange big fat dude shadowing and then chasing him. You know he was a watchman but to a terrified kid trying to get home in the rain he might have been a mass murderer for all he knew. If you start chasing me on a dark rainly night for no apparent reason, to me that is an attack and I then evoke Stand Your Ground with deadly force! Too bad TM only had skittles and a can of soda to defend himself with!

Forum List

Back