We do NOT Live in a Meritocracy

The US is no longer a Constitutional Republic - it has deteriorated into what Ayn Rand is to call "An Aristocracy of Pull".

You would never hear this on TV--would you? It's an important point as it undermines every action and inaction our government takes. How do you describe the Supreme Court...has it also succumbed?

While I agree our once great constitutional republic has been rendered unconstitutional, I hope you are not a devotee of Ayn Rand. I permit an admiration as a unique female voice but no devotion. She has almost entirely shaped a bunch of blathering rants and ego-maniacs on the right (and left) including Sen. Gaylord Paul Ryan.

I like the concept of Aristocracy of Pull though. Thank you. A helpful description of our current affairs indeed....Rewarding People on the Basis of Their Status Does More Harm Than Good

The US is no longer a Constitutional Republic - it has deteriorated into what Ayn Rand is to call "An Aristocracy of Pull".

You would never hear this on TV--would you? It's an important point as it undermines every action and inaction our government takes. How do you describe the Supreme Court...has it also succumbed?

While I agree our once great constitutional republic has been rendered unconstitutional, I hope you are not a devotee of Ayn Rand. I permit an admiration as a unique female voice but no devotion. She has almost entirely shaped a bunch of blathering rants and ego-maniacs on the right (and left) including Sen. Gaylord Paul Ryan.

I like the concept of Aristocracy of Pull though. Thank you. A helpful description of our current affairs indeed....Rewarding People on the Basis of Their Status Does More Harm Than Good

Guilty as charged.

lol, well, at least you don't rant. perhaps i need to watch myself more. or just spend last time on this awful awful website. well, it has its perks.

a devotee of Ayn Rand...

Guilty as charged..

So you agree with Ayn Rand when she says:

"Since the Indians did not have the concept of property or property rights…they didn’t have rights to the land, and there was no reason for anyone to grant them rights that they had not conceived of and were not using.”

According to the logic of property rights, the only alternative to a life based on competition and domination is displacement and death. Do you think Indians should have been displaced just because they lacked the concept of ownership? Had they owned the land (ie made it up) we would be forced to allow them to live where they like?

We like to think the private sector, indeed America itself is based on merit and hard work. I've read this a thousand times on USMB but upon any scrutiny, one can see success and affluence centers around inheritance and proper networking or knowing the right people. This is diametrically opposed to a genuine meritocratic system, which is based on one's ability and skills, not who you know or where you were born.

A local commercial for a nearby hospital was proud to announce their general staff consisted of mostly relatives and family members. So if you want to work there fuck being the best, just know the right people and the job is yours!

Sounds all too familiar. I almost only receive call backs for jobs where I know a current employee. This has happened too many times to be simple coincidence. It has nothing to do with merit since the positions I've applied for I have over 3 years of paid experience with a robust resume.

The private sector ideals are based in merit; however, we know how things on paper are not how they operate in the real world. So wake up and smell the corruption. Of course not all businesses operate this way but this is not my point.

What I am saying is that the government and major businesses walk hand in hand to maintain their elite status, wealth and power in spite of their incessant claims of our proud meritocracy. No politician would deny we strive to be the most meritocratic system on earth but this is pure rhetoric. We do not live in a genuine meritocratic system. Yet we demand those without opportunities, without quality education and no valuable network to earn their way or die (or at least suffer). When will we learn? Our problems are much deeper than this policy or that president or some "parasite class"....

I think nepotism exists everywhere, in the private and public sector. Yes, some will get an unfair advantage, but that doesn't mean that people cannot carve out a good living for themselves without it.

My son got a job at a company where he didn't know anyone. He had the right college degree and applied for an opening and has since moved up in the company. He has a bright future if he stays the course. It can happen, but is more likely to happen when people are prepared for the opportunities that present themselves. If you're not qualified for a job, it's not an opportunity for you. Companies can't hire all friends and relatives and they need qualified people for positions. Once you get your foot in the door, which often means starting at minimum wage, you have a chance to prove yourself to be a valuable employee.

I know many who got jobs by walking in the door with a good resume and acing the interview. It happens everyday, so I would caution people not to believe that nepotism is the only way and give up. Keep trying. If you aren't getting the job, look at how you can make yourself more marketable.

Used to be that starting your own business was the way to go. That is getting tougher and tougher these days. Banks are limited on the number of loans they can grant for small business, then of course, Obamacare is set to ruin small businesses.

Don't be a defeatist and think you can't get a good job. I got jobs on my own. We were military and moved every three or four years, so I knew NO ONE and somehow managed to do just fine. My kids are doing fine by interviewing for jobs. My son got his first job as a camp counselor where he met the owners for the very first time at the interview. There were over a dozen others applying for the same position.

Some people don't like hiring family and friends because it complicates things. I wouldn't like working with family or friends, especially when one is the supervisor of another. Talk about awkward.

Of course, many business owners want to pass the company to their heirs and will likely hire them to teach them the ropes. That will never change, but the opportunities for the average person still exist and it's up to each of us to be creative and proactive to ensure we can rise to the occasion when a good job is available.

Look at the nepotism in government. All politicians are guilty of that and they appoint family, friends and campaign donors to certain positions whether they are qualified or not. It shows when unqualified people are given important jobs. Just one small reason why things are a mess.

Of course, affirmative action guarantees some people work and qualifications don't always come into play. More qualified people might be rejected because they are the wrong race or gender.

Last edited:
I appreciate the personal motivation but I wasn't complaining about my own situation as I am identifying a serious flaw in our system. Many arguments are based on us living in a meritocracy, therefore those arguments are erroneous. They mostly center on blaming the poor for their own circumstance. I argue it goes beyond the person as to prevent certain avenues from being open, and the fact we do not live in a society solely based in merit, that many factors exist external to poor person's circumstance preventing them from succeeding as easily.

I don't think success is impossible for anyone so this isn't personal as much as it is empathetic.That's why empathy is a prerequisite to caring about the struggle of the poor, which many people lack.

Forum List

Back