We do NOT Live in a Meritocracy

I'm not playing a victim, I'm merely pointing out facts. Offering what you won't hear on the mass media networks. I live and breathe very successfully on this planet and have only empathy for people who assume they have a clue who someone is based on an isolated statement. Quit taking things personally. This isn't about you or me.

Last edited:
Most conservatives rely on the assumption that we live in a functioning meritocracy and we don't. But because they have their white/upper-middle class privileged blinders on, they continue spouting reforms that have little to do with them and harm their neighbors and the poor. It's fairly ruthless and entirely centered around money, not well being.

If we remove our heads from our asses by recognizing people are not and should not be profit-maximizing entities, we might actually get somewhere. We might actually orient ourselves towards a better society with more opportunities and education instead of money money money. Ah, this is all horse shit anyway, no powerful person gives a fuck nor can they change it on their own.

God, if I were a sissy piece of shit like you I think I'd just soot myself. Poor little victim, just can't make it out there in the big bad world all by your little ole self. Are you so fucking lazy you can't go out and get the skills to make yourself marketable? My working life spanned more than 50 years and I never got a job because of some one I knew. Quit whining, get off your ass a do what you need to get a freaking job.

50 years of work....

yeah things have changed a lil bit in those 50 years.

Yep, but the funny thing is if I wanted to go back to work, I could, and I bet it wouldn't take more than a week or two. Why, because I have marketable skills, plural, and I know how to sell myself, that's what employers are looking for. Being a one trick pony will always limit your possibilities, only idiots paint themselves into that corner.

We like to think the private sector, indeed America itself is based on merit and hard work. I've read this a thousand times on USMB but upon any scrutiny, one can see success and affluence centers around inheritance and proper networking or knowing the right people. This is diametrically opposed to a genuine meritocratic system, which is based on one's ability and skills, not who you know or where you were born.

A local commercial for a nearby hospital was proud to announce their general staff consisted of mostly relatives and family members. So if you want to work there fuck being the best, just know the right people and the job is yours!

Sounds all too familiar. I almost only receive call backs for jobs where I know a current employee. This has happened too many times to be simple coincidence. It has nothing to do with merit since the positions I've applied for I have over 3 years of paid experience with a robust resume.

The private sector ideals are based in merit; however, we know how things on paper are not how they operate in the real world. So wake up and smell the corruption. Of course not all businesses operate this way but this is not my point.

What I am saying is that the government and major businesses walk hand in hand to maintain their elite status, wealth and power in spite of their incessant claims of our proud meritocracy. No politician would deny we strive to be the most meritocratic system on earth but this is pure rhetoric. We do not live in a genuine meritocratic system. Yet we demand those without opportunities, without quality education and no valuable network to earn their way or die (or at least suffer). When will we learn? Our problems are much deeper than this policy or that president or some "parasite class"....

What do you know, another victim of the union based education system found out the world isn't ...sob...sob fair.

God, if I were a sissy piece of shit like you I think I'd just soot myself. Poor little victim, just can't make it out there in the big bad world all by your little ole self. Are you so fucking lazy you can't go out and get the skills to make yourself marketable? My working life spanned more than 50 years and I never got a job because of some one I knew. Quit whining, get off your ass a do what you need to get a freaking job.

50 years of work....

Yep, but the funny thing is if I wanted to go back to work, I could, and I bet it wouldn't take more than a week or two. Why, because I have marketable skills, plural, and I know how to sell myself, that's what employers are looking for. Being a one trick pony will always limit your possibilities, only idiots paint themselves into that corner.

I would hope that 50 years of work gave you marketable skills.

That doesn't mean you know what it is like to be trying to enter the workforce now.

What do you know, another victim of the union based education system found out the world isn't ...sob...sob fair.

I guess some people can't see this as anecdotal evidence rather than a personal complaint. The point remains with or without my mere example. Just another ploy to not discuss the real issue which is the fact we don't live in a meritocracy. That America isn't what America would have you believe. I can understand, it's devastating when you realize what you've believed all your life was a lie.

It was sheer luck of your geographic happenstance that you were born into a family that provided the nutrition and education you needed, setting you up for "marketable skills". You could have been born under different circumstances and life would have been very different. Don't go and fake worry about me, I am financially and mentally secure beyond your comprehension. I wouldn't want you to strain yourself or have to experience the pain of a genuine emotion, namely empathy.

Last edited:
Obama proves we do not live in a merit society. But Bush really exzeplified how hard work can get you ahead

You will see this more and more. Where you work what you can buy and for how much will depend on who you know. As the ability of employers to decide for themselves who to hire is taken from them, they won't advertise. They will depend on the word of someone else, someone already with a degree of trust.

you mean...., you mean like maybe the......, YIKES ! the Government ??

sounds like...................., communism (?) :up:

Most conservatives rely on the assumption that we live in a functioning meritocracy and we don't. But because they have their white/upper-middle class privileged blinders on, they continue spouting reforms that have little to do with them and harm their neighbors and the poor. It's fairly ruthless and entirely centered around money, not well being.

If we remove our heads from our asses by recognizing people are not and should not be profit-maximizing entities, we might actually get somewhere. We might actually orient ourselves towards a better society with more opportunities and education instead of money money money. Ah, this is all horse shit anyway, no powerful person gives a fuck nor can they change it on their own.

50 years of work....

Yeah, like the world being filled up with sniveling pussies.

I'm still working, and still getting jobs on the basis of me, not because of anyone I know.

Although I will say that anyone who can't tell the difference between networking and nepotism is probably just as bad at social skills as work skills, and should probably just put himself out of everyone else's misery.

50 years of work....

I'm still working, and still getting jobs on the basis of me, not because of anyone I know.

Although I will say that anyone who can't tell the difference between networking and nepotism is probably just as bad at social skills as work skills, and should probably just put himself out of everyone else's misery.

Well spoken. You clearly have superior social skills.

50 years of work....

That doesn't mean you know what it is like to be trying to enter the workforce now.

It hasn't changed, you are there to make other people money, if you can convince them you can do that you're in, it's been that way for thousands of years, it hasn't changed. That's exactly what I told people I haired when I owned my construction business, if they couldn't make me money, I had no use for them. I wasn't being mean, just stating a fact of life. You know why I closed my business and became an owner-operator in the trucking industry, because of whiny little shits like the op that wanted a pay check but didn't want to earn them.

Get an education. If you can't afford it and are young enough consider the Military and the G.I. bill. Work your ass off at the career you chose and quit whining.

I guess some people can't see this as anecdotal evidence rather than a personal complaint. The point remains with or without my mere example. Just another ploy to not discuss the real issue which is the fact we don't live in a meritocracy. That America isn't what America would have you believe. I can understand, it's devastating when you realize what you've believed all your life was a lie.

It was sheer luck of your geographic happenstance that you were born into a family that provided the nutrition and education you needed, setting you up for "marketable skills". You could have been born under different circumstances and life would have been very different. Don't go and fake worry about me, I am financially and mentally secure beyond your comprehension. I wouldn't want you to strain yourself or have to experience the pain of a genuine emotion, namely empathy.

I think it's more like some people realize that anecdotes aren't evidence at all.

You're really going to go with "You're only successful because you were born in America"? Seriously? Like I can't go down the street and find you five fucktards in the next half-hour who were ALSO born in America, went to American schools, are not the least bit malnourished, and are nevertheless completely useless oxygen thieves purely through choice.

People who are going to make something out of their lives do so regardless of the circumstances they have to work with. And people who can't achieve are going to piss and kvetch about how those who do achieve didn't really do anything.

Boy, just what we need--another white douchebag that thinks his/her experiences apply to everyone. Great job on creating the society you live in, managing it, and then creating the job that you currently work in. You just deserve a great big hug from Mommy then don't you? You've earned everything that's ever come your way including providing the food for your mother while you were in the womb! Wow! And this means you have a clue to what you're talking about? That since you've have experienced the life you have that it means everyone else has as well! OMG I wonder who has never once had an inkling to think about someone else other than their own gigantic ego? Clearly not you.

Last edited:

It hasn't changed, you are there to make other people money, if you can convince them you can do that you're in, it's been that way for thousands of years, it hasn't changed. That's exactly what I told people I haired when I owned my construction business, if they couldn't make me money, I had no use for them. I wasn't being mean, just stating a fact of life. You know why I closed my business and became an owner-operator in the trucking industry, because of whiny little shits like the op that wanted a pay check but didn't want to earn them.

That is what happens when education levels of the nation rise over 50 years.

It has changed a lot in terms of education alone. Even after you pay a lot of money to get an education your career may be significantly different and specialized. College grads can get paid $16 an hour while their company bills their services out at $100 an hour only to be replaced by someone in India.

Last edited:

Boy, just what we need--another white douchebag that thinks his/her experiences apply to everyone. Great job on creating the society you live in, managing it, and then creating the job that you currently work in. You just deserve a great big hug from Mommy then don't you? You've earned everything that's ever come your way including providing the food for your mother while you were in the womb! Wow! And this means you have a clue to what you're talking about? That since you've have experienced the life you have that it means everyone else has as well! OMG I wonder who has never once had an inkling to think about someone else other than their own gigantic ego? Clearly not you.

Okay, first of all, genius . . . how many guys do you know named Cecilie? Fucking duh.

Second of all, you racist douchebag, congrats on jumping straight to "You disagree with me; you must be white". Now that you've revealed yourself as an ignorant bigot, we can just dismiss everything else you said.

Sniveling racist pussy who can't get a job because no one wants your ignorant, worthless ass around. Bottom line. Get educated, get civilized, and grow a pair.

Buh bye, fucktard. FLUSH!

Whenever you see name calling you know the post isn't worth reading.

Who uses their real name as their SN? Why would I even care if that's your real name or what sex you are? I don't. I see your ideas and I can tell you take your privilege for granted.

And so you aren't white? You didn't tell me, you just called me names. Whose the bigot here? Wait, I don't care about that either but you made it clear it matters a whole lot to you how you label a human being.

I'm white and I've been around whites most of my life. I've also been around a variety of classes and races. I respect them as people. I can tell you take your privilege for granted and assume what you've lived is the same experience for everyone.

Last edited:

That is what happens when education levels of the nation rise over 50 years.

It has changed a lot in terms of education alone. Even after you pay a lot of money to get an education your career may be significantly different and specialized. College grads can get paid $16 an hour while their company bills their services out at $100 an hour only to be replaced by someone in India.

You don't have to pay to get marketable skills, there are apprenticeship program that will pay you to learn, there are companies that will train motivated people, but people who are too sissified to get their hands dirty need not apply. There are jobs in the energy industry that pay as much as $20.00 per hour while you train and can lead to 6 figure pay in a few years. You can sit on your ass and come up with a million reasons why you can't do something, or you can get off your ass and do something. Your choice.

Forum List

Back