We get to pay for student loans. Great.

Tuition subsidies are temporary.
Once the person graduates, their much higher salary pays much higher taxes, so pays the subsidy back.
Not everyone who graduates has a high salary.
If they did, they'd be able to pay back the money that they agreed to pay back.
Think better.

You think it's moral for companies that make billions of dollars a year and pay zero taxes, while you and I get taxed at like 35% or more?
Morality has nothing to do with it.
If you don't like your taxation rate, work to lessen it.
Don't be a miserable cvnt and wish higher taxation upon others.

Obviously high school no longer is enough.
High school does not teach anything about computers, automation, 3D printing, networking, or any of the technology people need these days, like how to use spreadsheets, make presentation, web pages, databases operations, etc.

Obviously. Who has the time to teach any of that stuff?
CRT, BLM, AGW, LGBTQ, all the important acronyms take up all the class time.

No, that's not required. Only the major centers of economic power, the so-called "commanding heights of the economy", as Marx termed it, would be nationalized. Every industry vital to our nation's infrastructure, like the oil and gas/energy sector, nuclear plants, mining/mines, all local utilities (the individual states and municipalities should own them), banks/finance, healthcare (a private medical sector would exist alongside the public healthcare system), big pharma (becomes "Pharma USA" with reasonable prices), public transit (cross country and intrastate highspeed rails/bullet trains), telecom, the military-industrial complex (eliminate war profiteering), and a couple of other industries, would be publicly owned.

The revenue from all of the above major, heavy industries would go towards developing and maintaining our national infrastructure and paying salaries. The federal government, unlike the state and local governments, is the exclusive issuer of the USD, so it will always have money but it nevertheless, has to remain within its GDP limits. The budgetary constraints of the US federal government are defined by our national production capacity or GDP. So it's always good to use the profits from publicly owned industries when possible or even taxes, BUT it can nonetheless, always, provided it remains within its limits, simply fund everything with its yearly federal budget, which could be double what it is now based on our current GDP. I prefer to be conservative with funding whenever I can when I'm operating (planning, theorizing) within a capitalist, market system/framework, so that's why I offer alternatives to simply relying on the federal budget.

Only the major centers of economic power, the so-called "commanding heights of the economy", as Marx termed it, would be nationalized.

Are they going to pay market price, or take the owners out back and shoot them?

Only the major centers of economic power, the so-called "commanding heights of the economy", as Marx termed it, would be nationalized.

Are they going to pay market price, or take the owners out back and shoot them?
Pay the shareholders and then add a Wall Street financial transaction tax /FTT of 1%,. The American people would own all of the heavy industries, and the profits would be invested back into the country. That's the friendly way to do it.

The Tax on Wall Street Speculation Act, was proposed by Bernie to pay for education, which would levy a new tax of 0.5% on stock trades, a 0.1% fee on bond trades and a 0.005% fee on derivatives. https://www.sanders.senate.gov/wp-c...-Wall-Street-Speculation-2021-Summary-v12.pdf

Last edited:
Just my own personal experience, but I don't know many MFA flower children who can run a billion dollar enterprise. As I said, that takes a special skillset.

But we have different ideas about what conservatism is. My brand of conservatism is the one I thought Republicans believed in back in the 1990s, back when upstarts like John Boehner and John Kasich were part of a Republican Revolution. That Republican party convinced me to switch from the part of Bill Clinton to the party of something new and interesting, or so I thought. That was an optimistic conservatism. The conservatism of today is angry, dark, nativist.
Man, I'm just not getting any of this...I'm a democrat who voted for Biden and Obama, but I'm not sure what that has to do with debt forgiveness.

All to work at Starbucks?

Grateful?

To whom? I just did it. Now granted, the costs from the early 80's, inflation adjusted, were a small fraction of what the greedy fucks of the Education-Industrial Complex charge now. But you know, educrats NEED that second Ferrari and Malibu beach house. But it's cool, most of their students will leverage their educations for minimum wage - so the universities should be paid massive amounts.

I admit, I went to a state school, and not a prestigious one, Cal Poly Pomona. BUT it was what I could afford. That was a thing from the late 70's early 80's - live within your means.

But now Quid Pro will buy your vote with loan forgiveness.
In your day, state schools received far more funding from their states than they do now.
Your loan burden was far smaller than what is required today. Bringing the cost of higher education back in line with what it was historically is a must.
Yes. You should be grateful that your loans were manageable.

I got out of the Army in 1970 and had a little over $2,000 saved up, which was a lot of money back then.

I used it for college.

I could have bought a lot of hookers and booze with that money but instead I used it to get a degree in Engineering.

Shame on me, huh?
You couldn’t save enough in the Army to get an engineering degree today. That’s the point.

If you are mad about middle class and lower income people getting a couple billion in student debt canceled you're going to fucking lose it when you find out about much we spent in Iraq and Afghanistan

Let me ask you this. How much money per year for college should the tax payers invest? Per student.
At least what they did for previous generations.

“Researchers found that the money public colleges collect in tuition surpassed the money they receive from state funding in 2012. Tuition accounted for 25 percent of school revenue, up from 17 percent in 2003. State funding, meanwhile, plummeted from 32 percent to 23 percent during the same period. That’s a far cry from the 1970s, when state governments supplied public colleges with nearly 75 percent of their funding, according to data from the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.”

Last edited:
Pay the shareholders and then add a Wall Street financial transaction tax /FTT of 1%,. The American people would own all of the heavy industries, and the profits would be invested back into the country. That's the friendly way to do it.

The Tax on Wall Street Speculation Act, was proposed by Bernie to pay for education, which would levy a new tax of 0.5% on stock trades, a 0.1% fee on bond trades and a 0.005% fee on derivatives. https://www.sanders.senate.gov/wp-c...-Wall-Street-Speculation-2021-Summary-v12.pdf

That should do wonders for those of us that save for retirement in IRA's.

Forum List

Back