Weatherman Fired for slip of the tongue

It doesn't mean that it wasn't.

By the way, until this discussion I had never heard of the "Martin Luther Coon" slur. So if I, at 55 years of age, have never even heard of it, isn't possible that this guy, who is probably twenty years my junior, had never heard of it either and that maybe, just maybe, it was an honest slip? Is there any possibility in your mind that this might be the case?
Great, how many times have you said, "Martin Luther coon?"

Did you not read what I just said?
Of course, which means you never said it. He did. Which means it's an expression he's heard, even though you didn't. And it just rolled off his tongue like he always says it.

I say you're wrong and he didn't, so what?
So he remains fired.

Irrelevant. Just because the station fired him doesn't mean they were justified in doing so.

Sadly, Booker T. Washington's words still apply today. We still have the jackals among us. Now they use MLK as a prop for their race baiting.
Booker T. Washington vs. the Race-Baiters a Century Ago
Did a meteorologist call him a coon also?

I’m sure Booker T Washington was called much worse

At the time, he could not have even complained
He was called worse by other blacks. I'm sure he was called a "house n - - - -r", and an "Uncle Tom". That's why he said there are black people that make a living being a victim. Today we know them as Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Maxine Waters, etc, etc, all Democrats.

Any evidence that Blacks in today's society are in any disadvantage Institutionally as in comparison to many much wealthier & more educated groups like Asian Indians, Chinese, Jews, Italians, Lebanese, Poles, Koreans, Japanese, Irish Catholics, Russians, Pakistanis, Iranians etc. etc.
deflection_explained.jpg

Put up with what? Did this guy have a history or reputation of racism? Have they had any kinds of problems with him before? If not then the station panicked and bowed to the paranoids. That's it.

I don't remember if I asked you but I know I have asked this question a few times already in this discussion and not one person has answered it. Question: Do you at least acknowledge the possibility that it was an innocent flub?
That's the long and short of it. Period/End of story.

Many news people have been fired for what they say on the air. Some fair, some not

Any newsman who says Martin Luther Coon will get his ass fired. Whether it was intentional or not[/QUOTE]

So you're willing to jump on the merry bandwagon of kangaroo justice warriors and condemn this guy based on an opinion?
Yes. Exactly what do you think this forum is? A court of law?

You're condemning this guy as racist based on an opinion.

Since the slightest thing can get you fired these days for being perceived as racism, don't you think we should take more care in leveling that sort of accusation?

The simple fact is: This guy could very well be innocent of the accusation of racism and it may very well have been a slip. This possibility remains regardless of your personal opinion. So, if he is in fact innocent, the atmosphere of racism paranoia that people like you have created in this country may have resulted in a man losing his job over a common linguistic flub. Give yourselves a hand.
The guy said, "Martin Luther coon." Why should anyone give such a slip a benefit of a doubt? That's not something that just slips off the tongue unless it's been used before.

Opinion. You are not a linguist or a phonetician or a speech expert so this is pure conjecture on your part. You do not have training or education in these fields to make the determination that this is not something that just slips off the tongue unless it's been used before.
Nope, he said “Martin Luther coon.” That’s racist.The station was right to fire him.

Opinion.

Fact: He said "Martin Luther Coon" or something that sounded like it.

Fact: You have not ascertained malice or intent so it could have been accidental.

Fact: People make this sort of mistake every day.

Fact: You do not know this man or his character.

Put up with what? Did this guy have a history or reputation of racism? Have they had any kinds of problems with him before? If not then the station panicked and bowed to the paranoids. That's it.

I don't remember if I asked you but I know I have asked this question a few times already in this discussion and not one person has answered it. Question: Do you at least acknowledge the possibility that it was an innocent flub?

Many news people have been fired for what they say on the air. Some fair, some not

Any newsman who says Martin Luther Coon will get his ass fired. Whether it was intentional or not
[/QUOTE]
And that is wrong. It's a very sad commentary on our society that people are fired for tripping over their words. MLK was a conservative Christian, but these days he's a prop and a useful tool for the race hustlers that use the power of political correctness as a tool to punish and ruin the lives of innocent people. Congratulations.

I believe it because to claim it was a slip of the tongue is not credible
King does not become Coon unless you routinely make that substitution

Bullshit, that's an opinion. One slip rolls off the tongue no easier and no harder than any other. A slip is a slip.

I made a flub once at a Golden Corral where I was perusing the steak menu and they had various cuts of sirloins and ribeyes. After I made my choice I promptly asked for the 16 oz. "sirbeye". It rolled off my tongue just as easily as this one did. You know damn well you have done it yourself so don't insult our intelligence by pretending you never have.

The fact remains it may have been a flub. As the accusers, you and the others have yet to provide anything but conjecture and opinion. Not one of you has provided evidence or a convincing argument other than the fact the word sounded like "coon". You have yet to provide evidence of malice or intent and in fact, none of you knows a fucking thing about this guy.
So it is a matter of opinion whether it was an accident or a common substitution to mock King

It is a matter of opinion that it was no accident just because racists use it as a common substitution to mock King. One doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the other. Again, you simply do not know.

You're only considering factors that fit your preconceived notion that it was deliberate. You're ignoring the fact that people flub their words every day. In fact, I am the only one here who has considered it or even brought it up.

This is not a simple case of someone saying "The shitty should..." instead of "The city should..." and everyone having a good laugh. A man's job was at stake.

It is something the viewers would have to decide. A case where a large percentage of viewers would look at him as a racist every time he is on camera

And a large percentage of viewers could be wrong. If we didn't have the atmosphere of racism paranoia in this country right now, that same large percentage of viewers might have just laughed it off.

The network decided they didn’t want to put up with it

Any newsman who says Martin Luther Coon will get his ass fired. Whether it was intentional or not
And that's wrong. When people's career is destroyed for a mistake in speech it's a sad commentary on our society. Political correctness run amok.

If you embarrass your employer, whether intentional or not, you get fired
Fact of life

And that is wrong. It's a very sad commentary on our society that people are fired for tripping over their words. MLK was a conservative Christian, but these days he's a prop and a useful tool for the race hustlers that use the power of political correctness as a tool to punish and ruin the lives of innocent people. Congratulations.[/QUOTE]

It is Conservative Christians calling him coon

Bullshit, that's an opinion. One slip rolls off the tongue no easier and no harder than any other. A slip is a slip.

I made a flub once at a Golden Corral where I was perusing the steak menu and they had various cuts of sirloins and ribeyes. After I made my choice I promptly asked for the 16 oz. "sirbeye". It rolled off my tongue just as easily as this one did. You know damn well you have done it yourself so don't insult our intelligence by pretending you never have.

The fact remains it may have been a flub. As the accusers, you and the others have yet to provide anything but conjecture and opinion. Not one of you has provided evidence or a convincing argument other than the fact the word sounded like "coon". You have yet to provide evidence of malice or intent and in fact, none of you knows a fucking thing about this guy.
So it is a matter of opinion whether it was an accident or a common substitution to mock King

It is a matter of opinion that it was no accident just because racists use it as a common substitution to mock King. One doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the other. Again, you simply do not know.

You're only considering factors that fit your preconceived notion that it was deliberate. You're ignoring the fact that people flub their words every day. In fact, I am the only one here who has considered it or even brought it up.

This is not a simple case of someone saying "The shitty should..." instead of "The city should..." and everyone having a good laugh. A man's job was at stake.

It is something the viewers would have to decide. A case where a large percentage of viewers would look at him as a racist every time he is on camera

And a large percentage of viewers could be wrong. If we didn't have the atmosphere of racism paranoia in this country right now, that same large percentage of viewers might have just laughed it off.

And that's wrong. When people's career is destroyed for a mistake in speech it's a sad commentary on our society. Political correctness run amok.

Fact of life
No, you get fired for saying the wrong thing by mistake. Many people signed a petition to get his job back. You pick and choose what you want to believe and ignore other FACTS. You're a race hustler.

And that is wrong. It's a very sad commentary on our society that people are fired for tripping over their words. MLK was a conservative Christian, but these days he's a prop and a useful tool for the race hustlers that use the power of political correctness as a tool to punish and ruin the lives of innocent people. Congratulations.

It is Conservative Christians calling him coon[/QUOTE]
Now you're simply lying. Conservative Christians ran the underground railroad to help runaway slaves and were against slavery in this country. You're just a plain idiot.

The previous word was "Luther" and the following word was "King". It seems clear to me that it was a simple twist of the tongue, i.e., accidentally putting the two together: "Koong". It's like trying to say "Toy boat" three times fast.
Great, here's an exercise to expose your nuttiness.....

Out loud, repeat, "Martin Luther King," three times fast ..... see if "coon" slips out.

Moron.

I could say it a hundred times right now and it may not come out and then it may happen a year from now only saying it once. It only takes one time. Unless you're trying to claim that it could never happen then your point is moot. Use your head for something besides an Antifa hat rack for fuck's sake.
It would never slip out, no matter how many times you repeated it, because it’s not something you ever said.

I had never said "sirbye" before either (the story I related earlier about deciding between a sirloin or ribeye steak) but it popped right out of my mouth anyway.

People don't flub their words because they say a particular phrase all the time or deliberately. It just happens. Again, use your fucking head.

Fact of life
No, you get fired for saying the wrong thing by mistake. Many people signed a petition to get his job back. You pick and choose what you want to believe and ignore other FACTS. You're a race hustler.

Mistakenly call your black boss a coon and see what happens

The previous word was "Luther" and the following word was "King". It seems clear to me that it was a simple twist of the tongue, i.e., accidentally putting the two together: "Koong". It's like trying to say "Toy boat" three times fast.
Great, here's an exercise to expose your nuttiness.....

Out loud, repeat, "Martin Luther King," three times fast ..... see if "coon" slips out.

Moron.

I could say it a hundred times right now and it may not come out and then it may happen a year from now only saying it once. It only takes one time. Unless you're trying to claim that it could never happen then your point is moot. Use your head for something besides an Antifa hat rack for fuck's sake.
It would never slip out, no matter how many times you repeated it, because it’s not something you ever said.

I had never said "sirbye" before either (the story I related earlier about deciding between a sirloin or ribeye steak) but it popped right out of my mouth anyway.

People don't flub their words because they say a particular phrase all the time or deliberately. It just happens. Again, use your fucking head.

You spouted gibberish

Coon is not gibberish

Fact of life

Mistakenly call your black boss a coon and see what happens
Nothing will happen if my black boss is a rational person. You racist loons aren't rational. You're sick.

It is Conservative Christians calling him coon
Now you're simply lying. Conservative Christians ran the underground railroad to help runaway slaves and were against slavery in this country. You're just a plain idiot.[/QUOTE]

Liberal Christians led the abolitionist movement

Forum List

Back