Welfare discourages marriage

I was a latch key kid with one parent..I turned out okay along with my sister.....

That's what you think. :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

Another Conservative Think Tank coming to the typical biased conclusion about Welfare, Marriage and any other social issue they want to ram down Americans throats.

Yeah because stable homes is just a right wing construct....single parent homes are much much better
Not much difference if both parents work..

Depends on when and how often they work. My dad worked nights and my mom worked during the day. There was seldom not a parent at our house. If there couldn't be, off to the creepy aunt and uncle's we went.
I was a latch key kid with one parent..I turned out okay along with my sister.....

Some heroin addicts turn out to be OK, still not the best way to go
I guess, that's up to them...

Another Conservative Think Tank coming to the typical biased conclusion about Welfare, Marriage and any other social issue they want to ram down Americans throats.

Yeah because stable homes is just a right wing construct....single parent homes are much much better

Uh 2 parent homes are faaar better even if both parents work for a whole host of reasons.
Dad can swing the paddle harder than Mom?

Depends on when and how often they work. My dad worked nights and my mom worked during the day. There was seldom not a parent at our house. If there couldn't be, off to the creepy aunt and uncle's we went.

Some people don't have a meaningful choice

I knew kids like that. The thing was, when I was a kid, that was a thing the neighbors were aware of and kept a watchful eye and kept their judgments to themselves generally. My mom would invite some of the kids like that over periodically for meals or whatever and let them know of they ever needed anything they could come to our house. Now, it is one of those things people hide or will get social services called in a heartbeat.
Not where I live, a child can be home alone as long as they feel safe...My last one started at 10,, 4 years ago...

They would be all over that where I live now if they are below 13-14ish.

The story is not true . A unmarried couple living together is treated the same as a married couple .

Now it is true that a couple gets less long term help than a single parent . Because they have no excuse to not have one parent working . A solo parent cant watch the kid and work at the same time .

Government doesn't check into people living in a household. One of the long-time welfare scams was for a woman to apply for welfare claiming her husband left her with the kids. He didn't go anywhere, he still lived in the house and there was no breakup. It's just that a woman was applicable for welfare because of her claim he left her.

A couple of years ago, I had to evict a family from one of my apartments. It was an unmarried couple. He worked, but she stayed at home "supposedly" home schooling her two kids even though she was a dumb as an ox. They kept getting further and further behind on rent, so I addressed them of the problem.

I suggested that she get a part-time job on weekends to catch up on the rent and maybe get ahead in life. She didn't even entertain my suggestion because she was getting $250.00 a month in food stamps for her and her kids.

If they were married, she probably wouldn't be getting that benefit and probably would have went to work to save their home. Long story short, I had to evict them.

No, she was lying to welfare telling them daddy was gone .

Marriage doenst mean shit . A scumbag husband can abandon his family just as easy as a baby daddy boyfriend .

Yep marriage is the same as no marriage...unbelievably dumb

I knew kids like that. The thing was, when I was a kid, that was a thing the neighbors were aware of and kept a watchful eye and kept their judgments to themselves generally. My mom would invite some of the kids like that over periodically for meals or whatever and let them know of they ever needed anything they could come to our house. Now, it is one of those things people hide or will get social services called in a heartbeat.

I was a 70's child and that's when this single parent thing started.

My experience was that the kids from single parent homes were the ones always in trouble either in school or with the law. If not during their childhood, after.

I had a few friends that had those independent mothers who didn't need a man. One killed himself in jail after he was arrested for stealing flowers. The other is still in prison for murder although he killed another girl that I knew from school that the police never found out about. Both were high school drop outs.

Coincidence? Maybe. But I believe that male children need a male adult in the home to be raised properly.

Some people don't have a meaningful choice

Not where I live, a child can be home alone as long as they feel safe...My last one started at 10,, 4 years ago...

They would be all over that where I live now if they are below 13-14ish.
I live in SW Mizzouri and it's not like that here......They did try to get to be like that but the reigns were pulled back...Since there is no law stating when a kid can be at home along at only a certain age......

Last edited:

My experience was that the kids from single parent homes were the ones always in trouble either in school or with the law. If not during their childhood, after.

I had a few friends that had those independent mothers who didn't need a man. One killed himself in jail after he was arrested for stealing flowers. The other is still in prison for murder although he killed another girl that I knew from school that the police never found out about. Both were high school drop outs.

Coincidence? Maybe. But I believe that male children need a male adult in the home to be raised properly.
Yeah, like Hitler and Stalin...

The story is not true . A unmarried couple living together is treated the same as a married couple .

Now it is true that a couple gets less long term help than a single parent . Because they have no excuse to not have one parent working . A solo parent cant watch the kid and work at the same time .

Government doesn't check into people living in a household. One of the long-time welfare scams was for a woman to apply for welfare claiming her husband left her with the kids. He didn't go anywhere, he still lived in the house and there was no breakup. It's just that a woman was applicable for welfare because of her claim he left her.

A couple of years ago, I had to evict a family from one of my apartments. It was an unmarried couple. He worked, but she stayed at home "supposedly" home schooling her two kids even though she was a dumb as an ox. They kept getting further and further behind on rent, so I addressed them of the problem.

I suggested that she get a part-time job on weekends to catch up on the rent and maybe get ahead in life. She didn't even entertain my suggestion because she was getting $250.00 a month in food stamps for her and her kids.

If they were married, she probably wouldn't be getting that benefit and probably would have went to work to save their home. Long story short, I had to evict them.

Marriage doenst mean shit . A scumbag husband can abandon his family just as easy as a baby daddy boyfriend .

As far as welfare goes, yeah .

What do you think happens?

Mom one goes to welfare . "Daddy left. We have no money ." She gets welfare help.

Mom 2 . "Husband left we have no money." Welfare tells her to fuck off and starve! ?

That's probably an equal protection problem.

In my area it was more because of divorce. Most of the households had someone who worked in one of two places so everybody knew everybody's business sooner rather than later.

Dad can swing the paddle harder than Mom?

If you got out of hand with Dad, he'd put you up against the wall and pound you into it a few times.

Before our police went digital, I used to listen to the scanner all the time. Most of the calls were from mothers calling the cops on their own kids. I'm in a very diverse suburb where most of the population is black. As we know, there is a very high out-of-wedlock birth rate in black communities.

Our police became the visiting dads when kids got out of hand with mom because she couldn't' control them any longer in their teen years. It got so bad that our city instituted a three call a year law for our police. If you call the police more than three times to a resident, the homeowner gets charged for the additional visits.

In my area it was more because of divorce. Most of the households had someone who worked in one of two places so everybody knew everybody's business sooner rather than later.
In the OKC community I grew up in, everybody knew your business...

Last edited:

In the OKC community I grew up in, everybody knew you business...

Yep. In our neighborhood, the single parents w/kids were all women, and pretty much everybody knew why she was divorced--be it adultery, abuse, alcoholism, "turns out I'm gay, honey". It was pretty much always the absent man to blame. The fun girls lived in other areas.

As far as welfare goes, yeah .

What do you think happens?

Mom one goes to welfare . "Daddy left. We have no money ." She gets welfare help.

Mom 2 . "Husband left we have no money." Welfare tells her to fuck off and starve! ?

That's probably an equal protection problem.

Or hey you have x years, git yo.shit together....oh and vote for people who promote growth Sony out can get a job.

Less and less young people are getting married. A new trend. Focus on career. No time for marriage. Can we blame them? I surely dont.

I sure do. Prior to the failed War on Poverty forced on us by Lyndon B. Johnson, the black family was one of our strongest family units. Lyndon Johnson program punished good behavior and rewarded bad. The result is what we expect, far fewer marriages with men being left on the outside looking for trouble. Typical of Progressives.

Of course two parents is better than one .

But wh 1/2 marriages ending in divorce, it's no magic bullet .

Divorce is something that can't be avoided at times. If that does happen, it's up to the male parent to have a strong interaction with the male child(s).

It's the fathers who simply sign the child support check and think they are doing all they can do where the problem is. I also think that if the children are raised in a two parent home no matter how long, it's much better than being raised by the mother alone since birth.

In the OKC community I grew up in, everybody knew you business...

Yep. In our neighborhood, the single parents w/kids were all women, and pretty much everybody knew why she was divorced--be it adultery, abuse, alcoholism, "turns out I'm gay, honey". It was pretty much always the absent man to blame. The fun girls lived in other areas.
I've been a single parent twice, in the 1980's I was told by women that men could't be single parents...

Less and less young people are getting married. A new trend. Focus on career. No time for marriage. Can we blame them? I surely dont.

I sure do. Prior to the failed War on Poverty forced on us by Lyndon B. Johnson, the black family was one of our strongest family units. Lyndon Johnson program punished good behavior and rewarded bad. The result is what we expect, far fewer marriages with men being left on the outside looking for trouble. Typical of Progressives.
Some scholars say that many factors -- including greater access to contraception, later marriage and a decrease in "hopefulness about the future" -- account for the decreased fertility rates, but many researchers say that the "particular burdens women face in the work force" also is a factor.

According to Times Magazine, it might be more difficult to be a working parent in the U.S. than in countries experiencing larger decreases in fertility rates because the country spends less on child care than any other industrialized country and paid leave is not guaranteed.

The lowest fertility rates in Western Europe are in countries -- such as Italy, Greece, Portugal and Spain -- where "the old idea that the man is the breadwinner and the woman is the childraiser holds strong," while countries that support the highest numbers of working women -- including Denmark, Finland and Norway -- have among the highest rates in the region, the Times Magazine reports.

Reasons for low fertility rates in industrialized countries

LIE.

Marriage means the difference between a child raised in poverty and one being raised above the poverty level.

Forum List

Back