Well? What did you have for dinner tonight??

Does last night count?
A 12lb brisket smoked for just short of 14 hours on oak and pecan.
With some Franklin beans and collard greens.
upload_2017-8-7_18-39-58.png

I made this beef stew tonight, doubling the recipe. I've been making this for probably 15 years at least and it's always awesome. I leave out the zucchini. The Minute Tapioca is a great tip: use it to thicken sauces instead of flour, which clumps and needs frequent stirring. The tapioca doesn't impart any flavor to the dish.

Harvest Beef Stew

Last night I made a chicken alfredo bake with stove top stuffing topping and

YUM

Yes foodies may swoon, I used Barillo alfredo sauce and a boxed stuffing mix but I'm feeding seven and I work, so I get to cheat.

chicken breastuses browned in big skillet with some garlic and onion, I added a little water once they browned. They were cut into about one inch pieces.

Add alfredo to that and let it simmer for a while...
Cooked a whole package of linguini

Put the chicken and sauce in the bottom of a baking dish, put the noodles on top, dumped the stuffing mix on top of that, poured a little water over the whole thing to moisten, cooked at 350 until it was bubbling and

VOILA

I was exhausted, they didn't even get a can of carrots on the side hahahaha. But everybody was full when they went to bed and I had a minimum of dishes, so that's a win.

Whole wheat linguini with my home made tomatoes gravy and my garden herbs. Meatless meatballs ( or wheat balls) fresh grated parmesan and sautéed baby spinach. Soon we will have my Roma tomatoes for the gravy.

Last night: Sautéed wild caught flounder, Whole wheat pearled cuscus, steamed broccoli

Tomorrow : Slow cooked Vietnamese pulled chicken with buckwheat soba noodles or brown rice,( cant decide) Steamed cauliflower and fresh picked string beans from our garden.

I made chicken and dumplings last night and it was amazing.

My mom is visiting, altogether we are seven in my household right now...I think...anyway...

We couldn't find mom's old recipe that makes spectacular no fail dumplings. So we used Betty Crocker dumplings recipe, which looked very much like Mom's. Unfortunately, I used LARD instead of shortening. Note to self...don't use lard in dumplings, they will all dissolve or turn to sinkers. I don't know how many times I have to experience that before I finally remember.

So the first batch, though it thickened up the soup nicely was a major fail.

I made a second batch without a recipe, and they puffed up and were AMAZING with no sinkers, and none of them dissolved.

So here you go:

1 whole chicken, washed inside and out...throw that puppy in a pot and cover with salted water. Put in a bay leaf if you have it.
Saute some onions and celery in a pan if you like, throw that in there too.

Boil it about an hour or 90 minutes, until the meat will fall off the bones, but before it actually does..remove the chicken and let it cool a little, then pick off the meat (I pull it off in chunks as big as I can) and put back into the pot. Discard the skin and bones (I throw a leg bone and a thigh bone back into the pot just because) Throw some carrots (canned or uncooked). If you use canned, drain off the liquid first. Fish out the bay leaves and discard.

I pour in a can of chicken broth just because I like to have lots of liquid and it can lend a little strength to the broth, in the event it's weak.

Bring it back up to a boil.

Mix about 4 C flour, 3 tbsp of baking powder, a tbsp of salt in a bowl, whisk together. Add about 1/4 cup of shortening or oil, more or less, mix together. Pour in about 2 c of flour. you should have a wet dough that is kind of medium soft...drop by LARGE tbsp into boiling broth. Fill the pot, try not to drop them on top of each other.

Boil covered for 10-15 minutes, don't open it to look. you might need to turn down or move a little off the burner if it starts to boil over. If you have a lot of dumplings, you can cook them for 15 minutes here.

Take off the lid and boil for another 10 minutes uncovered.

If you want to really have pretty dumplings, throw in a couple of tbsp of parsley into the flour mixture before you add milk, when you're making them.

Salmon with spaghetti and mayonnaise.

Mayonaise ???[emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds strange to me as well but I wont knock it.
I thought mexican street corn with mayo,lime,crema and various spices sounded a little weird....
The stuff kick ass!!
It's an affront to both spaghetti and the Salmon

I dont think I'd go out of my way to make it,but I'd taste it if someone else put in the work.
And surely there are other ingredients besides mayo?

DALIA?

Mayonaise ???[emoji51]

I thought mexican street corn with mayo,lime,crema and various spices sounded a little weird....
The stuff kick ass!!

Lets just hope it isn't Miracle Whip.:puke:

Tonite we're having pork chops leftover dumplings, some sort of jello, twice baked potatoes..I don't know what else. My mom is visiting and she comes up with a huge menu that I'm expected to cook to every night. Yay me.

Mayonaise ???[emoji51]

The stuff kick ass!!

I dont think I'd go out of my way to make it,but I'd taste it if someone else put in the work.
And surely there are other ingredients besides mayo?

DALIA?
But yes salmon and mayo and spagthettis is very nutritious in the summer I add a little mayonnaise in my pasta it is very good.

Forum List

Back