Well? What did you have for dinner tonight??

Fried Spam sammich with mustard and onion. :lalala:
Omg..I love...

fried spam, with fried onion and pinapple, and cheese, and if I have some other meat..burger or even ham...on grilled sourdough.

I put the hot sandwich in foil.. It is amazing.

You can do some very fun things with Spam (otherwise known as "Stuff Posing As Meat"). My husband, when we married, was horrified by the very idea that I might expect him to eat such a low-class, white-trash food. Then I made him Spam stewed with potatoes, onions, and green beans, with cornbread and artisan bread on the side, and it became one of his favorite dishes. His mother is probably rolling over in her grave.

I usually go with Bisquick.

:eusa_naughty:

AFAIK, there is no Bisquick in this house.

Baking powder and soda? Yes.

Recipe book? Check!

I bet you make Jiffy cornbread, too.

No, I always make my cornbread from scratch. I could make the pancakes from scratch, but I'm generally too lazy. It's enough of a pain in the ass to stand over the griddle and cook up the entire batch.
I have stood over, literally, millions of pancakes in my life.

In fact many of the memories of my life are of me flipping pancakes, making pancakes, eating pancakes.

mmm...pancakes.

I can make them on a grill...and have....but at home, I usually make them one at a time. I use a medium sized pan with a little fat in the bottom.

They go into the oven until I have cooked the whole batch..as long as I'm not cooking a million. If I'm cooking a million I put them in the oven until I have a stack, then while people eat that I cook more.

Usually one at a time.
There for some years I was doing little ones, but I'm back to good sized ones. The kids like them big, it's fun to have a big pancake that takes up most of your plate lol.

I made blueberry pancakes for my best friend and her family when they came to the coast..they rented a house on the lake for a long weekend, I came and saved them from making themselves horrific slop that they were calling pancakes.

It still gives me nightmares, thinking of what my friend was doing to the batter..if it could be called batter. omg it was awful.

I've made pancakes for about a hundred people at a time, that's fun...but it's more fun making them at home.

I don't find it particularly fun, although I appreciate how much everyone likes them. Standing for long periods of time, particularly somewhere hot, makes me very dizzy and nauseated, and makes my back ache abominably. So pancakes tend to be a last-ditch, "we have nothing else in the house to eat/I don't want to screw with anything" kinda deal.

I don't really have a choice lol.

Lots of kids, I'm the cook, and I have a tiny kitchen so I prefer doing it myself.

I refuse to have anyone living in my house who isn't capable of at least the basics of producing his/her own meals. I have taught my husband and older son how to at least START dinner, and how to watch it if I'm not available. That's another reason we use Bisquick for pancakes, though: I doubt either of them would be able to mix them up from scratch properly, but they can both manage to follow the directions on the Bisquick box adequately, and my husband can flip them without splattering food everywhere, so long as they're not too big.

Omg..I love...

fried spam, with fried onion and pinapple, and cheese, and if I have some other meat..burger or even ham...on grilled sourdough.

You can do some very fun things with Spam (otherwise known as "Stuff Posing As Meat"). My husband, when we married, was horrified by the very idea that I might expect him to eat such a low-class, white-trash food. Then I made him Spam stewed with potatoes, onions, and green beans, with cornbread and artisan bread on the side, and it became one of his favorite dishes. His mother is probably rolling over in her grave.
I hated spam when I was a kid...we had it and my dad was a depression kid, he thought it was awesome. I remember actually making spam loaf with the mustard and brown sugar and cloves and scoring...hahahaha...I avoided it for many years. But now I'm older I kind of appreciate it again. It really is just chopped up ham...there's nothing bad in it. It fries up nice and every now and then it's just awesome.

Tonight I made chili beans no meat no tomato and cornbread.

Not Jiffy today lol. The real thing. I even heated the pan melted lard in it and dropped the batter in.

Omg..I love...

When I was a kid fried Spam sandwiches were always a treat for lunch.

We never had Spam in a dinner meal because my father got sick of the stuff as a solder in WWII.

Forum List

Back