Well? What did you have for dinner tonight??

What kind of roasts are you abusing, Delia?

Sometimes you can't do much with a crap piece of meat. Other than that, I agree...turn down the heat. 3 hours is probably long enough. Seriously, add the gravy mix and mushroom soup...I've never seen that fail.

I think delia needs to use a different cut...

Sometimes a food just defeats us, though. I tried my hand at pie when I was a young woman. I was a good cook, I had cooked a lot more (and better) than any of my friends...my mother is a SUPERB pie maker. So how hard could it be?

My failure was spectacular, and consumed an entire day. I was a quivering, hysterical mess by the time I fell into bed, and I vowed never to try to make a pie again, ever.

And I didn't. For 2 decades.

Then I just did it. And my pies are great. I have no idea what the heck happened or what I did wrong when i was young, but after 20 years whatever it was went away.

It's obviously something you're doing that you don't know you're doing. But how did you cook this last one?

What kind of roasts are you abusing, Delia?

Sometimes you can't do much with a crap piece of meat. Other than that, I agree...turn down the heat. 3 hours is probably long enough. Seriously, add the gravy mix and mushroom soup...I've never seen that fail.

Beef. It's what's for dinner.

So that is chuck, I think.

It can be very tough and can tend to be tasteless. Can be one of the most delicious, or the nastiest, cuts of beef.

Try searing it on top of the stove; oil both sides, rub with salt, pepper, garlic...then put a good hard sear on both sides. Then place in a casserole dish or roaster, cover with liquid, cover the pot, and cook on very low heat for a very long time.

http://www.txbeef.org/cooking_school/stewing

If you have grandulated beef bouillon, I have covered the top with that and not completely covered the roast...just thrown in a couple of cups of water...

Or you could try a different cut....

I am making a rotissirie chicken tonight, the chicken has been marinating in lemon juice and serrano peppers all night and Greek seasoning, I can't wait.

Haha I'm also eating rotisserie chicken, only I bought mine ready made from pathmark.

Meatballs. Crockpot, can of chilli sauce and grape jelly. On some kind of hoogie bun with provolone cheese. That shit cant be beat! If you do not like grape jelly, try cranberry sauce. Both are great!
Cant wait to eat tonight! Oh and some Pinot Noir. Forget what kind I bought over the weekend..I do know my La Crema' is gone :(

Does anyone else cut the ALL the fat off of their meat right out of the package? Before cooking, marinating etc

Not me. Fat is what makes it tender...the way I cook it most of it renders off anyway.

Tonight guess what we're having...7-Bone ROAST hahaha
Which is, technically, chuck!

The best cut of chuck, I think.

It's a big one...

This isn't it, but this is a decent looking one:

6a00e55397e03388330120a51e2ac4970b-320wi

So here's how we're cooking it tonight...

Heat oven to about 400, liberally oil & season both sides of the meat, slap it in a deep oven-proof dish (cast iron chicken fryer, casserole, whatever).....

Cook at 400 for about 1/2 hour, then turn heat down to 325, pour in a quart of beef broth, cover it, and let it cook for 3 hours.

Obviously, if it starts to smoke, add liquid. It usually doesn't, though.

It's going in at 3:30, will be ready to eat by 6:30 or so.

Does anyone else cut the ALL the fat off of their meat right out of the package? Before cooking, marinating etc

Not me. Fat is what makes it tender...the way I cook it most of it renders off anyway.

Tonight guess what we're having...7-Bone ROAST hahaha
Which is, technically, chuck!

The best cut of chuck, I think.

It's a big one...

This isn't it, but this is a decent looking one:

6a00e55397e03388330120a51e2ac4970b-320wi

So here's how we're cooking it tonight...

Heat oven to about 400, liberally oil & season both sides of the meat, slap it in a deep oven-proof dish (cast iron chicken fryer, casserole, whatever).....

Cook at 400 for about 1/2 hour, then turn heat down to 325, pour in a quart of beef broth, cover it, and let it cook for 3 hours.

Obviously, if it starts to smoke, add liquid. It usually doesn't, though.

It's going in at 3:30, will be ready to eat by 6:30 or so.

Bet thats going to be delicious.

Shew! I am prejudice against fat. Chicken, pork, beef anything. My meat always comes out fine though. Well, besides the occasional "screw up" or what have you. Forgetting about it, pretty much lol I do not even touch ribeyes!

I am making a rotissirie chicken tonight, the chicken has been marinating in lemon juice and serrano peppers all night and Greek seasoning, I can't wait.

Haha I'm also eating rotisserie chicken, only I bought mine ready made from pathmark.

I am enjoying using my rotissirie, next I'm going to try to make something different in there besides chicken.

Forum List

Back