Were Most Of America's Founding Fathers - Christians

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came across a couple of Youtube clips not long ago that were truly enlightening (for me at least). Like most products of the Public School (fool?) System I was kept in the dark concerning the USA's Christian roots. If we (young, impressionable students) were told anything we were told that Jefferson and Franklin were deists but not Christians.

I've come to find out that the two least Christian founders were still sympathetic to and allied with the many devout Christians who helped create the great nation of the United States of America and signed her important, founding documents.

Anyway, please watch these very short videos and let everyone know what you think.

Mike Huckabee David Barton Founders of the Constitution 080109.flv - YouTube
U.S. Capitol Tour with David Barton.flv - YouTube

Huckabee and Barton? Really?

It doesn't matter who was Christians. The fact is they knew the dangers of intermingling religion and politics.

Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity.
-Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782

And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerve in the brain of Jupiter. But may we hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with this artificial scaffolding, and restore to us the primitive and genuine doctrines of this most venerated reformer of human errors.
-Thomas Jefferson, Letter to John Adams, April 11, 1823 :eusa_pray:

George Washington called one of them "That dumb deist". Wonder which one it was.

One thing is for sure the Founding fathers who were christian weren't the bible thumping cretines we see today

First, thanks for recognizing that they were Christians. Secondly, how do you know if they "thumped" their Bibles or not. Thirdly, not all of today's Christians thump the Bible. Generalizing works on some folks but not all. Back to the ol' drawing board for you.

I came across a couple of Youtube clips not long ago that were truly enlightening (for me at least). Like most products of the Public School (fool?) System I was kept in the dark concerning the USA's Christian roots. If we (young, impressionable students) were told anything we were told that Jefferson and Franklin were deists but not Christians.

I've come to find out that the two least Christian founders were still sympathetic to and allied with the many devout Christians who helped create the great nation of the United States of America and signed her important, founding documents.

Anyway, please watch these very short videos and let everyone know what you think.

It doesn't matter who was Christians. The fact is they knew the dangers of intermingling religion and politics.

Criticize the man without addressing the information? I'm guessing that Howey has arrived. We can all expect lots of chatter lacking substance.

I like Christians. I go to Walmart on Sunday mornings and never have to wait in line for the cashier....
i do as well,
but because of baptist t having to much power in the past i cant buy booze before 12 pm why not ?
i dont object to them going to church on a day other than sunday so why do they object to me drinking alcohol on a day called sunday ?another case of injecting somebody elses faith on others ,,

All of this great information and you're concerned about drinking your beer? If you must, buy enough on Saturday to last through Sunday. Problem solved. That's how I used to do it when I drank. Really a non-issue though.

The majority were Christian.

Of the 55 delegates to the 1787 Constitutional Convention, 49 were Protestants, and two were Roman Catholics (D. Carroll, and Fitzsimons).

Among the Protestant delegates to the Constitutional Convention, 28 were Church of England (or Episcopalian, after the American Revolutionary War was won), eight were Presbyterians, seven were Congregationalists, two were Lutherans, two were Dutch Reformed, and two were Methodists.

A few prominent Founding Fathers were anti-clerical Christians, such as Thomas Jefferson (who created the so-called "Jefferson Bible") and Benjamin Franklin.
Others (most notably Thomas Paine) were deists, or at least held beliefs very similar to those of deists.

Historian Gregg L. Frazer argues that the leading Founders (Adams, Jefferson, Franklin, Wilson, Morris, Madison, Hamilton, and Washington) were neither Christians nor Deists, but rather supporters of a hybrid "theistic rationalism".

Great information. I'm compiling as much information as I can. Can you link to your source so I can add it to my growing collection? Thank you much.

Sarcasm much?

That's half of the story. He didn't stop with "separation of church and state." He meant that the church was to be protected from the state but he had no problem with the state being influenced by the church.

A Very Quick Explanation Of "Separation Of Church And State" By David Barton - YouTube
David Barton-Separation of Church and State.flv - YouTube

No, that is what Barton says.
The legal minds for over 50 years have interpreted the establishment clause as not having government appearing to support any given faith tradition or none at all.

David Barton cherry picks, which distorts Jefferson's message.

You have been shown the evidence of this before.

You fail.

The "cherry pickers" are the ones that only tell part of the story. That's what cherry picking is. We only hear a portion of Jefferson's quote.

I still haven't heard anyone address the first Bible printed in English in the USA. You know ... the one that was endorsed by Congress for use in America's schools?

The legal minds for over 50 years have interpreted the establishment clause as not having government appearing to support any given faith tradition or none at all.

You fail.

The "cherry pickers" are the ones that only tell part of the story. That's what cherry picking is. We only hear a portion of Jefferson's quote.

And that is exactly what Barton does.
You are catching on.

You fail.

I still haven't heard anyone address the first Bible printed in English in the USA. You know ... the one that was endorsed by Congress for use in America's schools?

Here is a picture of it.
There are very few of them left.

th

You fail.

You are catching on.

The portion of his quote that secularists repeat often is ONLY that portion that refers to separation of church and state. The rest of his quote is routinely swept under the rug. Shhhhh.

Now ... I see that you, once again, glossed right by the first American Bible and the fact that Congress suggested that it be used in American schools. That's okay ... you can leave it alone if it makes you uncomfortable.

Here is an article about the Aitken Bible and congress

Religion and the Congress of the Confederation - Religion and the Founding of the American Republic | Exhibitions (Library of Congress)

Congressional resolution, September 12, 1782, endorsing Robert Aitken's Bible. [page 468] -- [page 469] Philadelphia: David C. Claypoole, 1782 from the Journals of Congress. Rare Book and Special Collections Division, Library of Congress

The war with Britain cut off the supply of Bibles to the United States with the result that on Sept. 11, 1777, Congress instructed its Committee of Commerce to import 20,000 Bibles from "Scotland, Holland or elsewhere." On January 21, 1781, Philadelphia printer Robert Aitken (1734-1802) petitioned Congress to officially sanction a publication of the Old and New Testament which he was preparing at his own expense. Congress "highly approve the pious and laudable undertaking of Mr. Aitken, as subservient to the interest of religion . . . in this country, and . . . they recommend this edition of the bible to the inhabitants of the United States." This resolution was a result of Aitken's successful accomplishment of his project

Some more food for the naysayers. Straight from the Library Of Congress:

Religion and the Founding of the American Republic:

The Continental-Confederation Congress, a legislative body that governed the United States from 1774 to 1789, contained an extraordinary number of deeply religious men. The amount of energy that Congress invested in encouraging the practice of religion in the new nation exceeded that expended by any subsequent American national government. Although the Articles of Confederation did not officially authorize Congress to concern itself with religion, the citizenry did not object to such activities. This lack of objection suggests that both the legislators and the public considered it appropriate for the national government to promote a nondenominational, nonpolemical Christianity.

Congress appointed chaplains for itself and the armed forces, sponsored the publication of a Bible, imposed Christian morality on the armed forces, and granted public lands to promote Christianity among the Indians. National days of thanksgiving and of "humiliation, fasting, and prayer" were proclaimed by Congress at least twice a year throughout the war. Congress was guided by "covenant theology," a Reformation doctrine especially dear to New England Puritans, which held that God bound himself in an agreement with a nation and its people. This agreement stipulated that they "should be prosperous or afflicted, according as their general Obedience or Disobedience thereto appears." Wars and revolutions were, accordingly, considered afflictions, as divine punishments for sin, from which a nation could rescue itself by repentance and reformation.

The first national government of the United States, was convinced that the "public prosperity" of a society depended on the vitality of its religion. Nothing less than a "spirit of universal reformation among all ranks and degrees of our citizens," Congress declared to the American people, would "make us a holy, that so we may be a happy people."

Religion and the Congress of the Confederation - Religion and the Founding of the American Republic | Exhibitions (Library of Congress)

Many blessings to you as you read truth in history.

Congressional resolution, September 12, 1782, endorsing Robert Aitken's Bible. [page 468] -- [page 469] Philadelphia: David C. Claypoole, 1782 from the Journals of Congress. Rare Book and Special Collections Division, Library of Congress

The war with Britain cut off the supply of Bibles to the United States with the result that on Sept. 11, 1777, Congress instructed its Committee of Commerce to import 20,000 Bibles from "Scotland, Holland or elsewhere." On January 21, 1781, Philadelphia printer Robert Aitken (1734-1802) petitioned Congress to officially sanction a publication of the Old and New Testament which he was preparing at his own expense. Congress "highly approve the pious and laudable undertaking of Mr. Aitken, as subservient to the interest of religion . . . in this country, and . . . they recommend this edition of the bible to the inhabitants of the United States." This resolution was a result of Aitken's successful accomplishment of his project

Wow ... we posted almost the same thing at the same time. Great minds!!!

You are catching on.

The portion of his quote that secularists repeat often is ONLY that portion that refers to separation of church and state. The rest of his quote is routinely swept under the rug. Shhhhh.

Now ... I see that you, once again, glossed right by the first American Bible and the fact that Congress suggested that it be used in American schools. That's okay ... you can leave it alone if it makes you uncomfortable.
That recommendation was a very long time ago.

You are catching on.

Better than never at all. At least we can FINALLY agree that our nation wasn't "secular." We're gettin' there one baby step at a time.

Better than never at all. At least we can FINALLY agree that our nation wasn't "secular." We're gettin' there one baby step at a time.

Where do you see the Christian gods mentioned in the wording of the constitution?

At least we can agree that our nation wasn't founded as a Christian nation.

Where do you see the Christian gods mentioned in the wording of the constitution?

May I refer you to the opening post #1.
And then to posts #170 & #171. Thank you.

Why, in your own words, would the Congress have an American Bible printed and recommend that they be placed in America's schools?

Criticize the man without addressing the information? I'm guessing that Howey has arrived. We can all expect lots of chatter lacking substance.

I addressed the information.

A few prominent Founding Fathers were anti-clerical Christians, such as Thomas Jefferson (who created the so-called "Jefferson Bible") and Benjamin Franklin.
Others (most notably Thomas Paine) were deists, or at least held beliefs very similar to those of deists.

Historian Gregg L. Frazer argues that the leading Founders (Adams, Jefferson, Franklin, Wilson, Morris, Madison, Hamilton, and Washington) were neither Christians nor Deists, but rather supporters of a hybrid "theistic rationalism".
Jefferson was a deist, he eliminated the supernatural aspects in his bible. Deism is rational theism as I understand it. I consider myself a deist.

Jefferson expressed general agreement with Unitarianism, which, like Deism, rejected the doctrine of the Trinity. Jefferson never joined a Unitarian church, but he did attend Unitarian services while in Philadelphia.

Jefferson had this put on his headstone

Here was buried
Thomas Jefferson
Author of the Declaration of American Independence
of the Statute of Virginia for religious freedom
Father of the University of Virginia

Notice that he never wanted the headstone to say that he was the President.

May I refer you to the opening post #1.
And then to posts #170 & #171. Thank you.

Why, in your own words, would the Congress have an American Bible printed and recommend that they be placed in America's schools?
May I ask that you get some knowledge of the facts. Thank you.

Congress did not have any bibles printed.

What American schools received these bibles?

Wow ... we posted almost the same thing at the same time. Great minds!!!

Well informed minds. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back