What are church buildings for?

barryqwalsh

Gold Member
Sep 30, 2014
What use are they to the majority of the population who never go inside them?

The age and intricacy that makes old churches wonderful also makes them fragile. They demand endless skilled and expensive repairs. The annual cost of major repairs to listed churches is estimated at around £100m. Last year about a quarter of that figure was met from lottery funds dedicated to the preservation of places of worship – which means, overwhelmingly, Anglican churches. Now the Heritage Lottery Fund is ending that programme, to furious protests from the Church of England.

The Heritage Lottery Fund claims that it is simplifying and debureaucratising the grant application process, and that the same proportion of its funds will go to churches under the new system. The church points out that this will be the first year since 1977 when there is not a ringfenced pot of state money for churches, and worries that the new system will disadvantage unfashionable buildings in places without fundraising expertise.

The Guardian view on funding heritage: save buildings if not beliefs | Editorial

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_untitled.png
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_untitled.png

Huge numbers of churches and chapels have fallen by the wayside over the years as religion went out of fashion.
Many get sold off and converted to housing.
The Anglican Church could get its arse in gear and use these buildings to house the homeless and feed the hungry but they seem reluctant to do that when they have to wrestle with the War against Gays.

Huge numbers of churches and chapels have fallen by the wayside over the years as religion went out of fashion.
The Anglican Church could get its arse in gear and use these buildings to house the homeless and feed the hungry but they seem reluctant to do that when they have to wrestle with the War against Gays.
Perhaps they could stay at your house.

Perhaps they could stay at your house.
Why ?

/---- Tommy, hats off to you for taking in so many homeless in to your home and feeding them. You sure walk the walk.

/---- Tommy, hats off to you for taking in so many homeless in to your home and feeding them. You sure walk the walk.

Damn Tommy is the next Mother Teresa...

What use are they to the majority of the population who never go inside them?

The age and intricacy that makes old churches wonderful also makes them fragile. They demand endless skilled and expensive repairs. The annual cost of major repairs to listed churches is estimated at around £100m. Last year about a quarter of that figure was met from lottery funds dedicated to the preservation of places of worship – which means, overwhelmingly, Anglican churches. Now the Heritage Lottery Fund is ending that programme, to furious protests from the Church of England.

The Heritage Lottery Fund claims that it is simplifying and debureaucratising the grant application process, and that the same proportion of its funds will go to churches under the new system. The church points out that this will be the first year since 1977 when there is not a ringfenced pot of state money for churches, and worries that the new system will disadvantage unfashionable buildings in places without fundraising expertise.

The Guardian view on funding heritage: save buildings if not beliefs | Editorial

View attachment 121040 View attachment 121040
Last year about a quarter of that figure was met from lottery funds dedicated to the preservation of places of worship

are they given the repair bill before the congregation that allowed the deterioration is allowed back in ... I thought not.

This has to be related to the politics of England. The United States government doesn't directly fund the upkeep of churches. Some will argue that it is done indirectly but that doesn't appear what this discussion is referencing.

or converted to mosques

There will be countless more budget cuts as Brexit kicks in and impoverishes the UK.
Don't hold your breath. Brexit is just the beginning of the end of the EU.
It's certainly the end of high wage jobs and trade leverage for the UK.
Only time will tell. I suspect they have more leverage because of their exit.
Psh they had influence of a massive economic block backing them before. Now it's going to be a race to exploit the UK. I've been saying for months Brexit is good for the U.S. because now we can have our way with Britain.

There will be countless more budget cuts as Brexit kicks in and impoverishes the UK.
Only time will tell. I suspect they have more leverage because of their exit.
Psh they had influence of a massive economic block backing them before. Now it's going to be a race to exploit the UK. I've been saying for months Brexit is good for the U.S. because now we can have our way with Britain.
Like I said before, I believe it is the beginning of the end of the EU. Sweden is already making noises about following the UK. The EU is unraveling. It is only a matter of time.

Have you heard of Swexit?

What is Swexit? Will Sweden leave the EU next?
Perhaps you should look up why the EU was created in the first place. If the EU breaks up, the biggest winners would be the rest of the planet. So I'm rather fine with it.

Perhaps you should look up why the EU was created in the first place. If the EU breaks up, the biggest winners would be the rest of the planet. So I'm rather fine with it.
You don't seem fine with it, lol.

You don't seem fine with it, lol.
If I lived in Europe I wouldn't be fine with it. Pursuing protectionism out of irrational fear is a bad thing. Right now, the U.S. is also plagued by it.

Forum List

Back