What are you reading?

Testament of Youth, Vera Brittain

"Testament of Youth has been acclaimed as a classic for its description of the impact of World War I on the lives of women and the middle-class civilian population of Great Britain. The book shows how the impact extended into the postwar years……The book's main subject is Vera's work as a Voluntary Aid Detachment nurse, nursing wounded in London, Malta and at Etaples in France. It also describes how she returned, disillusioned, to Somerville College, Oxford after the war and completed her BA degree. It covers the beginning of her career in journalism, writing for Time and Tide and lecturing for the League of Nations. She visits the graves of her brother Edward in Italy and her fiancé Roland in France. Together with Winifred Holtby she toured the defeated and occupied regions of Germany and Austria in 1923." Wiki

Last edited:
Re read........Lord of the rings the two towers.....Then I'll watch the movie and then do the same with the return of the king.....

Already did the fellowship of the ring.

I am just finishing the Imperial Cruise.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/The-Imperial-Cruise-Secret-History/dp/B005OL86II]The Imperial Cruise: A Secret History of Empire and War: James Bradley: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

Its a bit overwrought and midly convoluted, but theres some very interesting takes on our policies in the far east circa 1880-1908.

I threw the crappy regency novel in the garbage. I had it balanced next to the toilet in a basket but somehow it got knocked into the toilet, at which point I determined I really didn't care much what happened, and threw the whole shebang into the toilet.

Laboring through the first few pages of Edward.

rereading: Revolutionaries: A New History Of The Invention Of America: by Jack Rakove

rereading: Original Meanings: Politics And Ideas In The Making Of The Constitution: by Jack Rakove

rereading: The Supreme Court: The Personalities And Rivalries That Defined America: by Jeffrey Rosen

and 4 small things on history of city I am in: specifically the growth of the city and the arts

Edward the Confessor is pretty slow going.

So I'm re-reading The Mists of Avalon, which I really do enjoy.

The Hobbit! I haven't read the Hobbit in forever, and I actually picked up a copy, then promptly lost it. When I find it, I'm reading it to the kids.

"Monsignor Quixote" by Graham Greene

First published in 1982. It was Greene's last book. The scenario is that a priest who's mistakenly promoted to Monsignor goes on a road trip holiday in his native Spain with his Communist friend, the former Mayor, who's just lost his reelection bid. Trouble and hilarity ensue as they both drink wine, read and discus each other's books on morality and philosophy, and have a number of odd adventures, including an overnight stay at a brothel which the Monsignor mistakenly believes is a well run hotel with a very friendly staff.

Monsignor Quixote

"The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay" by Michael Chabon

636 pp, Published 2000

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay

I should offer a short (VERY short) review of this book. Actually, it's not so much a review as it is an opinion. This is a highly-praised (and highly rated on Goodreads.com) book. But in my opinion, it's highly over rated. I'm not saying it's a bad book. I just don't believe that the story and/or the telling of the story lives up to the book's overall rating and the praise of the book.

As an example, on Wikipedia, someone named Bret Easton Ellis declared the novel to be "one of the three great books of my generation". What utter nonsense.

Forum List

Back