🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

What are your winters like where you live?

We always get snow. Some years not too too much. Other years it's just ridiculous.

This is about as bad as it gets here, once or twice during the winter months:
View attachment 580465
Some years this is the morning commute.

1640656914238.png

Some years there is literally no where to move the snow, so they start dumping it in the harbor. The roads get so narrow barely one car can pass in either direction. Forget about sidewalks. Shoveling the front walk involves throwing snow as high above your own head as you can get.

1640656867112.png

1640656966747.png

Attachments

• 1640656629889.png
    1640656629889.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 14
Growing up in Buffalo, NY, we used to get heavy snow during the winter months, and it typically stayed the entire season. Because of the Blizzard of 1977, we got the unearned reputation of being the "snow capital", even though Syracuse and Watertown's snowfalls aren't measured in inches, but FEET because they are on the northernmost end of Lake Ontario, which never freezes. But in say the last 20 years, aside from the October 6, 2006 freak snowstorm, the occasional 2 or 3 foot dumping, and the 2014 "Snowvember" dumping we got when the Lake Effect machine kicked in and unloaded between five and eight FEET from South Buffalo all the way to Hamburg and Orchard Park, we haven't really gotten any substantial snowfall, at least not enough to last the entire season. My thinking is this: Since the demise of heavy industry here in Western New York, all the exhaust and crud hadn't been pumped into the air since the plants started closing in 1983.

Central MN.
Typically can wake up to -40 air temps, with windchills hitting -60. This week we have a medium cold snap coming hitting -10 probably wed morning, after another winter storm moves through.
In spring you will see people in shorts at 35F. Which when you think about it is around 60 degrees warmer than the coldest weather.
State Patrol reporting over 300 crashes in last 24 hours from yesterday's snow and freezing rain.

A calm -20 day can actually feel warmer than a 20 degree day with high winds.

I also work outdoors all winter.

Some years this is the morning commute.

View attachment 580572

Some years there is literally no where to move the snow, so they start dumping it in the harbor. The roads get so narrow barely one car can pass in either direction. Forget about sidewalks. Shoveling the front walk involves throwing snow as high above your own head as you can get.

View attachment 580571

View attachment 580573
I grew up in northern Michigan. No stranger to excess snowfall. I escaped, though!

Last year, my area of east Tennessee got a white Christmas. Right now, we are still waiting on our first snow fall this year.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. At one point on Christmas day this year, it was 71 degrees here.
We have had snow for a couple weeks now and it will get to -8 tomorro, this is unseasonably cold, last year we had no snow for Christmas. I don’t care to see snow on Christmas unless it is in the mountians.

Real winter weather here starts mid January and ends mid March. But spring can seem to last forever with wild swings in temps. It can, and usually does snow at some point in March, even a heavy snow... and the very next day be 70 degrees.
It doesn't stay warm for good till May.

Anytime I tell someone I am from Indiana they usually mention something about how much snow and cold you get.
Not so. Indiana is a "tall state". At the top it is aligned with cities like New York, but much further down it is aligned with Mid-southern Virginia.
We get little snow, and when we do, it typically melts the next day. It usually doesn't get to and stay cold till mid January.
By early March it is mostly over.
Well hello there neighbor. I am also a native of Indiana but reside in the southern part. Just as you’ve described there are notable seasonal differences between northern and southern counties. Being near Kentucky’s northern border, it was 70° on Christmas and today it’s raining and around 50°. The past few winters have been mild with vary little snow accumulation. Local ski conditions require snow making machines each season. The area will get an annual dump of snow all at once that’s unexpected and results in school closings. It’s really a hoot watching the local weather forecasters get all excited, year after year, about 3 to 4 inches of snow in the forecast with the running list of school closings lol Most people who live in the north, northeast, or most of the west would find it a riot.

Forum List

Back