What did our founders really mean when they said “general welfare”?

I think what the founders meant by General Welfare is……Don’t do anything for poor people

At least that is what Conservatives say

I think what the founders meant by General Welfare is……Don’t do anything for poor people

At least that is what Conservatives say
They were actually very specific. They said “PROMOTE the general welfare”.
Like dblack noted….There’s really nothing real trivial or complicated about it.
You Lesh and the rest of the purple hair people have simply grossly misinterpreted simple definitions.
IMG_2787.jpeg

IMG_2788.jpeg

What did Madison say about 'general welfare'?
* Alexander Hamilton only after the Constitution had been ratified, argued for a broad interpretation which viewed spending as an enumerated power Congress could exercise independently to benefit the general welfare, such as to assist national needs in agriculture or education, provided that the spending is general in nature and does not favor any specific section of the country over any other.

I can’t find the part where he said ‘Mexico’s people should get free shit’ or where he said ‘Americans should be forced to pay ShaQuita to make babies.’
Can you link us to those declarations?

Providing for the general welfare means pretty much exactly what it says.

The general welfare consists of things for the benefit of the whole. Like a federal legal system. And a national army.

Perhaps things like the post office and interstate roadways.

It excludes things meant just for a subset of the whole (like a bill that grants something to one individual or locality or State without regard to the benefit or absence of benefit to the whole).

With this in mind, a question may pop up. “If that’s the case, then why should the Federal Government Constitutionally be thought to have any authority to assist those in particular States from getting Federal assistance (from Federal entity like FEMA) for local disasters like tornadoes or hurricanes or earthquakes?”

I believe the answer is likely found in the proposition that such assistance serves to benefit the whole.

oh thats right you avoided the military.....its a General of the Armies rank insignia....
OH SHIT!!!
FOR FUCK SAKE….So suddenly you’re a fucking war hero like Harpy Eagle ?
Look, like I told him, I didn’t avoid service, I didn’t need to serve…I had a direction in life, I wasn’t searching for shit, I didn’t need programming…I went to work, built businesses, made a shit-ton of money and paid the salaries of those who would cry like bitches later and make bullshit PTSD claims.
So what does that have to do with this thread?

Forum List

Back