What does this mean?

In his speech to the troops the President said this:

”America shouldn’t be doing the fighting for every nation on earth, not being reimbursed in many cases at all. If they want us to do the fighting, they also have to pay a price," Trump said. "And sometimes that’s also a monetary price, so we’re not the suckers of the world. We’re no longer the suckers, folks. And people aren’t looking at us as suckers."
Trump to American troops in Iraq: U.S. no longer 'the suckers of the world'

This sounds so strange. US would like to continue to fight that war if there i money in it? Or is he selling the US capability to fight wars in general? Can anyone buy?

Or is it merely to make a point of the cost in dollars? Not really expecting to get paid?
--------------------------------------------- sounds like The TRUMP is saying that countries that the USA is friendly with MAY get help fighting Wars if they PAY for the help . And of course , thats how it should be Eric .
Pis, there's a conflict here. On one hand we tout ourselves as "Great", and on the other we are saying, "Pay up or don't bother me" as though an invasion of poor countries, even strategic ones, is of no concern unless our coffers gain. There's a lot of Scrooge in this. Did the Bush 41 coalition against Iraqi invasion of Kuwait as us for money before they's join up?

”America shouldn’t be doing the fighting for every nation on earth, not being reimbursed in many cases at all. If they want us to do the fighting, they also have to pay a price," Trump said. "And sometimes that’s also a monetary price, so we’re not the suckers of the world. We’re no longer the suckers, folks. And people aren’t looking at us as suckers."

This sounds so strange. US would like to continue to fight that war if there i money in it? Or is he selling the US capability to fight wars in general? Can anyone buy?

Or is it merely to make a point of the cost in dollars? Not really expecting to get paid?
--------------------------------------------- sounds like The TRUMP is saying that countries that the USA is friendly with MAY get help fighting Wars if they PAY for the help . And of course , thats how it should be Eric .
So Assad could hire the US military and Americans would die in Syria because we're getting paid? :cuckoo:
------------------------------------------- i figure that the friendly nations that the USA MIGHT help would be Western type nations . [As the USA Discriminates and chooses which nations to help] Taz .

U.S. Military Spending: The Cost of Wars

The charts and tables in this section summarize the actual and projected cost of U.S. wars as reported for the OCO account—drawing heavily largely on earlier work by the Congressional Research Service.

• The Department of Defense's OCO costs of the Afghan conflict since FY2001 will rise to $840.7 billion—if the President's FY2018 budget request is met. They will be $770.5 billion for Iraq.
  • The total costs for all OCO spending between FY2001 and FY2018 will be in excess of $1,909 billion. Given the costs omitted from the OCO budget, the real total cost will almost certainly be well over $2 trillion, even using OCO data as the only costs of the wars.
These latter estimates update a series of earlier CRS analyses, one of which noted that, "Other observers and analysts define war costs more broadly than congressional appropriations and include estimates of the life-time costs of caring for OEF/OIF/OND veterans, imputed interest costs on the deficit, or increases in DOD’s base budget deemed to be a consequence of support for the war…Such costs are difficult to compute, subject to extensive caveats, and often based on methodologies that may not be appropriate…"

Three alternative cost estimates are also summarized in this section.

• One by Lina J. Blimes puts the total cost at $4 to $6 trillion by end FY2016.
  • A related estimate by the Watson Institute puts the cost at $4.8 trillion through FY2016.
  • A third estimate, by Neta Crawford, puts costs at more than $4.8 trillion through FY2017, plus more than $7.9 trillion in cumulative interest on past appropriations, or more than $12.7 trillion.

So Assad could hire the US military and Americans would die in Syria because we're getting paid? :cuckoo:
------------------------------------------- i figure that the friendly nations that the USA MIGHT help would be Western type nations . [As the USA Discriminates and chooses which nations to help] Taz .
So France could hire the US military to attack Russia and have Americans die instead? :cuckoo:

Pis, there's a conflict here. On one hand we tout ourselves as "Great", and on the other we are saying, "Pay up or don't bother me" as though an invasion of poor countries, even strategic ones, is of no concern unless our coffers gain. There's a lot of Scrooge in this. Did the Bush 41 coalition against Iraqi invasion of Kuwait as us for money before they's join up?
------------------------------------- when i think of the USA as being GREAT i only consider it being Great for its population of Americans and not the World . And as far as money , i keep hearing that rich countries like Germany and others don't finance their share of NATO as example so my opinion is that they should be Forced to pay up . And from what i hear Germany for example still is not fully funding its share of NATO as they expect to Start Paying what they have agreed to Pay in a few more years . Feck Germany , its time to pay up Right NOW Germany . ------------- Bullwinkle !!

Last edited:
How do you win a War when it financially destroys you.............What is the cost of these Wars and what are the allies paying.......in the article the estimates were all over the place............depending on who was doing the study....or whether we take into account the costs from disabled veterans and their medical treatment.........For years our forces have been conducting airstrikes every single day......Many sorties every single day.........These precision guided weapons are expensive.......lower end weapons 17 k and up.......not to mention that our aircraft burn a lot of fuel........We are also supporting other nations and refueling them in the air every single day.......supplying fighters with weapons and training........

Trillions of dollars spent........how many..depends on the bean counters doing the research. Lowest estimate is 2 Trillion......but that estimate is probably low..........more like 5 Trillion.....or even higher.....as our debt has grown massively for staying in the Wars.............almost 22 trillion in debt.........25% probably easily being the cost of the Wars and rebuilding other nations........

Again...........how much are the other nations spending there.................compared to us.

So France could hire the US military to attack Russia and have Americans die instead? :cuckoo:
---------------------------------- i don't think that The TRUMP was talking about making USA Military forces into MERCENARIES . I think that he was talking about making the slackards like Germany pay their agreed to money for funding NATO Taz .

In his own uniquely Trumpian fashion he's decrying the fact that the U.S. Taxpayer (Treasure) and U.S. Military Personnel (Blood) are subsidizing the national defense for many nations around the globe.

IMHO he's correct he just doesn't articulate the point very well nor does he bother to attempt to relay a coherent strategy for altering the situation in a fashion that will be acceptable for everybody.

In his own uniquely Trumpian fashion he's decrying the fact that the U.S. Taxpayer (Treasure) and U.S. Military Personnel (Blood) are subsidizing the national defense for many nations around the globe.

IMHO he's correct he just doesn't articulate the point very well nor does he bother to attempt to relay a coherent strategy for altering the situation in a fashion that will be acceptable for everybody.
----------------------------------- Who is everybody , i say feck EVERYBODY if they aren't American NFox .

---------------------------------- i don't think that The TRUMP was talking about making USA Military forces into MERCENARIES . I think that he was talking about making the slackards like Germany pay their agreed to money for funding NATO Taz .
So you're backing up from what you said earlier. Good for you.

So you're backing up from what you said earlier. Good for you.
-------------------------------------------- EASY to SAY , but i don't know what you refer to , please communicate what you are talking about TAZ ,

----------------------------------- Who is everybody , i say feck EVERYBODY if they aren't American NFox .

Everybody involved in the situation which of course includes Americans but also includes her Allies, after all, a workable solution will require their cooperation.

Everybody involved in the situation which of course includes Americans but also includes her Allies, after all, a workable solution will require their cooperation.
---------------------------- All they need do is follow orders and American planning . As i told another poster in a different thread . America is the Big Dog and the supposed allies can go their own way and pound sand if they don't like it in my opinion NFox .

Last edited:

Sounds to me like he will send our troops into harms way as long as someone is willing to pay for them. He wants to turn the US military into the Hessians

Selective hearing.

Forum List

Back