What dramatic sea level rise could do

"Things" is plural, "is" is singlular. You need to make those agree. You should have learned
Nope.

It is hilarious the things you follow!! Hahaha haha

Those things which are plural are hilarious to me, an individual

"Most people are surprised to learn that, just as the surface of the Earth is not flat, the surface of the ocean is not flat, and that the surface of the sea changes at different rates around the globe. For instance, the absolute water level height is higher along the West Coast of the United States than the East Coast.

You may have heard the term “global sea level,” which refers to the average height of all of the Earth's ocean basins. "Global sea level rise" refers to the increase in the average global sea level trend.

"Local sea level" refers to the height of the water measured along the coast relative to a specific point on land. Tide stations measure local sea level. "Relative sea level trends" reflect changes in local sea level over time. This relative change is the one most critical for many coastal applications, including coastal mapping, marine boundary delineation, coastal zone management, coastal engineering, sustainable habitat restoration design, and the general public enjoying their favorite beach."

Abstract​

Interannual variability of sea surface height (SSH) in western Pacific Ocean and eastern Indian Ocean occurs as a result of the ENSO phenomena. This variability affects SSH difference between both of those oceans. In normal condition, SSH in western Pacific Ocean is higher than in eastern Indian Ocean which causes a current that passes through Indonesia which known as the Indonesian Throughflow (ITF). This study used SSH and geostrophic currents data from 1993 to 2015 which obtained from AVISO satellite altimetry data to determine the variability of SSH difference in ENSO condition which represented by the sea surface temperature (SST) anomaly of Niño 3.4 data from NOAA and its relation to the geostrophic currents in Lombok Strait which is one of the ITF crossing path. The result of the correlation calculation of ENSO condition to SSH difference between western Pacific Ocean and eastern Indian Ocean shows the negative value. It means that SSH difference at both oceans have opposite condition that when El Nino happened SSH in western Pacific Ocean is lower than the eastern Indian Ocean and when La Niña happened SSH in the western Pacific Ocean is higher than the eastern Indian Ocean. The SSH difference does not affect the direction of geostrophic currents but affects its speed.

"But while their surface provides a handy reference point, the oceans themselves are not all at the same height above the Earth’s centre. As the strength of the force generated by the Earth’s spin is strongest at the equator, the MSL bulges outward there, putting it further from the centre of the Earth than at the poles."

"Mean sea level (MSL) is widely used as the standard reference for the altitude of towns, mountains and aircraft. That’s because once the effect of tides and waves has been averaged out, sea level depends on just two forces: the strength of gravity and the effect of the Earth’s spin – and these depend on the distance from that ultimate reference point, Earth’s centre."

"Differences in the Earth’s density also affect the strength of gravity, causing MSL variations of as much as 100 metres. MSL is also changing over time, largely through global warming causing seawater to expand and land ice to melt."

For probably the tenth time, that rock was moved in 1921 and you have NO IDEA what the tides were when that photo was taken. The normal tidal range in Plymouth Harbor is fucking 9.76 feet!! See Station Home Page - NOAA Tides & Currents.

You have to get away from this somewhat common idea that the Earth changing "naturally" doesn't require a cause. Nothing happens without a cause; not a wee puff of a air, not a hurricane, not a drop of rain, not a once-in-a-milennium flood. Sea levels rise and fall in the pre-human past has been caused primarily by temperatures. Falling temperatures shrink the physical volume of the ocean and land-borne ice ties up large volumes of water. Rising temperatures melt that ice and expand the ocean's volume. Temperatures of the land, the air and the oceans have been rising for the past 150 years. That has caused the oceans to expand and for a significant portion of the world's ice to melt - and continute melting. THAT is what is currently causing the world's oceans to rise.

How is it that you seem to feel comfortable making statements for which you KNOW you have no evidentiary support and which hard science clearly refutes.

High tide at one place is low tide at some other point. This we all already know. We also know that, even above the deep ocean trenches, the surface level is at the approximately same level as it is away from the trench.

High tide at one place is low tide at some other point. This we all already know. We also know that, even above the deep ocean trenches, the surface level is at the approximately same level as it is away from the trench.
Are you not reading what I'm posting or are you rejecting it?

Are you not reading what I'm posting or are you rejecting it?
Your posting consists of a good deal of gibberish. You make the choice to buy what’s being peddled. I make the choice to reject the nonsensical.

Just one quick thought experiment. Take two ships capable of sounding the ocean floor. Place one smack dab above the deepest ocean floor trench. Place one a distance away from the trench above an under ocean mountain. Let the ships and their equipment do their thing.

Taking into account variability like waves, those two ships will be at the same level regardless of how deep the ocean “floor” might be beneath them.

Your posting consists of a good deal of gibberish. You make the choice to buy what’s being peddled. I make the choice to reject the nonsensical.

Just one quick thought experiment. Take two ships capable of sounding the ocean floor. Place one smack dab above the deepest ocean floor trench. Place one a distance away from the trench above an under ocean mountain. Let the ships and their equipment do their thing.

Taking into account variability like waves, those two ships will be at the same level regardless of how deep the ocean “floor” might be beneath them.
I want you to think about something for a minute. Tides.

I want you to think about something for a minute. Tides.
Already did. Already mentioned. Not informative of you.

The point is not that water is pulled in a big bulge but the moon at one set of locations (high tide) and therefore sunk down lower at other locations.

The point is that a ship above the ocean floor isn’t lower because it is floating on the surface above a trench anymore than it is higher because it is above an undersea mountain peak. That’s not how the surface of water works. And you know it.

"So knowing how gravity changes sea level helps geodesists make more accurate measurements. In general, in areas of the planet where gravitational forces are stronger, the mean sea level will be higher. In areas where the Earth's gravitational forces are weaker, the mean sea level will be lower."

Already did. Already mentioned. Not informative of you.

The point is not that water is pulled in a big bulge but the moon at one set of locations (high tide) and therefore sunk down lower at other locations.

The point is that a ship above the ocean floor isn’t lower because it is floating on the surface above a trench anymore than it is higher because it is above an undersea mountain peak. That’s not how the surface of water works. And you know it.
That, I am afraid, is precisely how it works. See post above from NOAA.

He doesn’t know it’s the moon’s pull causing tides!!

Can’t make it up
I would have thought he’d at least have heard about it.

Also, I’ve been in some large pools with a kiddie end of less than three feet down but an adult side of well over six feet down. And the surface? Yep. The water is level on both ends and any gradient in between.

Nobody is disputing tides.
How_gravity_and_sea_level_interact_pillars.png

Measuring_ocean_currents.gif

gravity-facts-4.jpg

Attachments

• 1682461410022.jpeg
    1682461410022.jpeg
    7.9 KB · Views: 7
Who says CO2 did that? What is the point you're even trying to make? The Antarctic is on land.
Are you trying to tell me that its easier to accumulate snow and ice on -100F rock than on +31F water? No way Jose!

; - )

Last edited:

Forum List

Back