What firearms are protected by the 2nd Amendment

See OP

• Total voters
once you do that then you allow laws to be created that are not authorized by the Constitution.

oooh-kay.

I never meant anyone who was proud that they didn't think for themselves. First time for everything I guess.

oh right smart ass how do you know something is unconstitutional if you do not know whats in the Constitution, and what it's about?
Why should I care about what a bunch of slaveholders wrote 200 years ago?

Slavery was 'constitutional'. That doesn't make it right. The personal mandate is 'constitutional'. That doesn't make it right. Under COTUS, blacks were non-citizens- that doesn't make universal suffrage wrong. Prohibition was 'constitutional' for a while. That didn't make it right.

The income tax used to be 'unconstitutional', but that in itself doesn't make it wrong to fund the military- or to ask the wealthiest Americans to pay more as they are able and demand less of those who can barely feed themselves.

Poll taxes as a tool to disenfranchise poor blacks was 'constitutional' prior to the passage of the 24th. That didn't make it right. Prior to the 25th, the continuity of government we know of was 'unconstitutional'- that didn't make it wrong.

Congress giving themselves massive pay increases whit the people starve didn't become wrong with the passage of the 27th. It was always wrong- it just happened to be legal.

So tell me: why should we be ruled by corpses and place the words of dead men before what is right?

oh right smart ass how do you know something is unconstitutional if you do not know whats in the Constitution, and what it's about?

By thinking for myself and applying critical thinking skills. And combining that with knowing what's in the constitution.

I think I just said that stupid. Knowing what the Constitution is about would be part of the critical thinking skills. And knowing whats in it would cover the other.

You said in another thread that critical thinking skills identify a progressive. So, using critical thinking skills, I think you just identified yourself as a progressive, comradebiggie.

The left has NEVER cared what the Constitution said. That is why we are in the mess we are now.

That is one of your more idiotic statements, shinola. Both far left and far right together do their damnest to keep us in this mess.

By thinking for myself and applying critical thinking skills. And combining that with knowing what's in the constitution.

I think I just said that stupid. Knowing what the Constitution is about would be part of the critical thinking skills. And knowing whats in it would cover the other.

You said in another thread that critical thinking skills identify a progressive. So, using critical thinking skills, I think you just identified yourself as a progressive, comradebiggie.

I never used the term critical thinking asswipe I said that
Knowing what the Constitution is about would be part of the critical thinking skills.

Meaning my knowing would equal his critical thinking skills, so go crawl back to your bridge, they are missing their guard.

The Constitution is the founding document. It is the LAW pure and simple.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/religion-and-ethics/150337-is-it-the-law-to-which-men-are-bound.html

The principles set down do not change with age
Except for 'people' not including blacks and women, right?

Satanism would be a religion. That would be against the first amendment.
:wtf:

What are you on about?

Tell it to their slaves... and the children they had with them and refused to free

Ever heard of the 3/5ths Compromise? The Founders found the practice abhorant. So sorry...Nice strawman argument. It doesn't FLY.
You expect me to believe that a bunch of guys who owned slaves and didn't even free their own children found slavery abhorrent? :eusa_hand:

Not much on history, are you?

George Washington: "there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do, to see a plan adopted for the abolition of it."
—Letter to Morris, April 12, 1786, in George Washington, A Collection, ed. W.B. Allen (Indianapolis: Liberty Classics, 1989), 319.
dots_horiz_big.gif

John Adams: "Every measure of prudence, therefore, ought to be assumed for the eventual total extirpation of slavery from the United States…. I have, through my whole life, held the practice of slavery in …abhorrence."
—Letter to Evans, June 8, 1819, in Selected Writings of John and John Quincy Adams ed. Adrienne Koch et al. (New York: Knopf, 1946), 209-10.
dots_horiz_big.gif

Benjamin Franklin: "Slavery is …an atrocious debasement of human nature."
—"An Address to the Public from the Pennsylvania Society for Promoting the Abolition of Slavery" (1789), Benjamin Franklin, Writings ed. J.A. Leo Lemay (New York: Library of America, 1987), 1154.
dots_horiz_big.gif

Alexander Hamilton: "The laws of certain states …give an ownership in the service of negroes as personal property…. But being men, by the laws of God and nature, they were capable of acquiring liberty—and when the captor in war …thought fit to give them liberty, the gift was not only valid, but irrevocable."

—Philo Camillus no. 2 (1795), in Papers of Alexander Hamilton, ed. Harold C. Syrett (New York: Columbia University Press, 1961-), 19:101-2.
dots_horiz_big.gif

James Madison: "We have seen the mere distinction of colour made in the most enlightened period of time, a ground of the most oppressive dominion ever exercised by man over man."
—Speech at Constitutional Convention, June 6, 1787, in Max Farrand, ed., Records of the Federal Convention of 1787 (New Haven: Yale University Press, 1937), 1:135.
SOURCE

JEFFERSON:

Jefferson also wrote the Ordinance of 1784, a preliminary draft of the Northwest Ordinance, which would govern the land between the Appalachians and the Mississippi River. Jefferson included in his bill a clause that would have prohibited slavery in these new territories after 1800. When this measure was blocked in Congress by just one vote, Jefferson lamented, "The voice of a single individual ... would have prevented this abominable crime from spreading itself over the new country. Thus we see the fate of millions unborn hanging on the tongue of one man, and Heaven was silent in that awful moment!" Jefferson, certain that God's wrath would not be forever stilled, said: "We must await with patience the workings of an overruling Providence, and hope that He is preparing the deliverance of these, our suffering brethren. When the measure of their tears shall be full, when their groans shall have involved heaven itself in darkness, doubtless a God of justice will awaken to their distress, and by diffusing light and liberality among their oppressors, or, at length, by His exterminating thunder, manifest His attention to the things of this world....

It goes on...there were many of the Founders that found the practice abhorent...and the 3/5ths compromise was a way to ensure that eventually the practice would be stopped, and that the Southern States that were primary slave holding States would also ratify the Constitution.

All you have to do is look...so please next time? Don't be so quick to dismiss.

No, you just said that you don't think for yourself because the constitution does it for you.

I said that I apply my critical thinking skills to what is in the constitution.

Big difference....stupid.
Not a real huge need for your critical thinking skills, but I would suggest you read it and look up the hard words in a dictionary.

Ever heard of the 3/5ths Compromise? The Founders found the practice abhorant. So sorry...Nice strawman argument. It doesn't FLY.
You expect me to believe that a bunch of guys who owned slaves and didn't even free their own children found slavery abhorrent? :eusa_hand:

George Washington: "there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do, to see a plan adopted for the abolition of it."
—Letter to Morris, April 12, 1786, in George Washington, A Collection, ed. W.B. Allen (Indianapolis: Liberty Classics, 1989), 319.
dots_horiz_big.gif

John Adams: "Every measure of prudence, therefore, ought to be assumed for the eventual total extirpation of slavery from the United States…. I have, through my whole life, held the practice of slavery in …abhorrence."
—Letter to Evans, June 8, 1819, in Selected Writings of John and John Quincy Adams ed. Adrienne Koch et al. (New York: Knopf, 1946), 209-10.
dots_horiz_big.gif

—"An Address to the Public from the Pennsylvania Society for Promoting the Abolition of Slavery" (1789), Benjamin Franklin, Writings ed. J.A. Leo Lemay (New York: Library of America, 1987), 1154.
dots_horiz_big.gif

Alexander Hamilton: "The laws of certain states …give an ownership in the service of negroes as personal property…. But being men, by the laws of God and nature, they were capable of acquiring liberty—and when the captor in war …thought fit to give them liberty, the gift was not only valid, but irrevocable."
—Philo Camillus no. 2 (1795), in Papers of Alexander Hamilton, ed. Harold C. Syrett (New York: Columbia University Press, 1961-), 19:101-2.
dots_horiz_big.gif

James Madison: "We have seen the mere distinction of colour made in the most enlightened period of time, a ground of the most oppressive dominion ever exercised by man over man."
—Speech at Constitutional Convention, June 6, 1787, in Max Farrand, ed., Records of the Federal Convention of 1787 (New Haven: Yale University Press, 1937), 1:135.
SOURCE

JEFFERSON:

Jefferson also wrote the Ordinance of 1784, a preliminary draft of the Northwest Ordinance, which would govern the land between the Appalachians and the Mississippi River. Jefferson included in his bill a clause that would have prohibited slavery in these new territories after 1800. When this measure was blocked in Congress by just one vote, Jefferson lamented, "The voice of a single individual ... would have prevented this abominable crime from spreading itself over the new country. Thus we see the fate of millions unborn hanging on the tongue of one man, and Heaven was silent in that awful moment!" Jefferson, certain that God's wrath would not be forever stilled, said: "We must await with patience the workings of an overruling Providence, and hope that He is preparing the deliverance of these, our suffering brethren. When the measure of their tears shall be full, when their groans shall have involved heaven itself in darkness, doubtless a God of justice will awaken to their distress, and by diffusing light and liberality among their oppressors, or, at length, by His exterminating thunder, manifest His attention to the things of this world....

It goes on...there were many of the Founders that found the practice abhorent...and the 3/5ths compromise was a way to ensure that eventually the practice would be stopped, and that the Southern States that were primary slave holding States would also ratify the Constitution.

Words mean nothing.

Did they free their slaves?

Did they free their children?

I can find quotes from Mao that make him sound like Jesus- but the actions he and his followers undertook would render them meaningless, too. Kinda like all those 'family values' Republicans

The left has NEVER cared what the Constitution said. That is why we are in the mess we are now.

And why they dimiss it while claiming unchallanged LAW as precident. Just because a law hasn't been challanged on Constitutional grounds doesn't mean that it is or isn't constitutional. It just means it hasn't been challenged.

Therefore the left gets everyone acclimated to something and then they can claim if something is challanged that they can't repeal because it would be too disruptive.

This is WHY we are where we are today.

Given the purpose of the 2nd Amendment – to ensure that the people would always have access to an effective means of exercising their right to self defense, individually and/or collectively - what kinds of firearms does the 2nd Amendment protect?

Handguns: Revolvers, single shot
Handguns: Magazine-fed semi-autos
Shotguns: Pump/lever/bolt action, single shot, double barreled
Shotguns: Semi-auto
Rifles..: Bolt/lever/slide action, single shot
Rifles..: Magazine-fed semi-auto, ‘assault weapons’
Rifles..: Automatic rifles, assault rifles, battle rifles
Rifles..: Magazine/belt fed machineguns
All of the above
None of the above

Please be sure to explain your response.

Why is there not a 'nuclear weapon' option?

The Constitution is the founding document. It is the LAW pure and simple.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/religion-and-ethics/150337-is-it-the-law-to-which-men-are-bound.html

The principles set down do not change with age[/quote]Except for 'people' not including blacks and women, right?
Cherry pick much? I believe I mentioned the amendment process. All the injustices you allude to in the original Constitution have been addressed by amendment.

Again If you want to limit what "arms" I can own, amend the Constitution.

I never used the term critical thinking asswipe I said that
Knowing what the Constitution is about would be part of the critical thinking skills.

Meaning my knowing would equal his critical thinking skills, so go crawl back to your bridge, they are missing their guard.

You sure did, and you just did. You are a progressive, biggiecomrade.

dots_horiz_big.gif

dots_horiz_big.gif

dots_horiz_big.gif

dots_horiz_big.gif

SOURCE

JEFFERSON:

Words mean nothing.

Did they free their slaves?

Did they free their children?

I can find quotes from Mao that make him sound like Jesus- but the actions he and his followers undertook would render them meaningless, too. Kinda like all those 'family values' Republicans

Franklin Freed his as did Jefferson, Washington...a few did...upon their deaths and paid pensions.

Forum List

Back