What happened to our Freedom?

What can't you do anymore?

Pray out loud in a Public School. Say bang, bang, your dead in public. Wish out loud that someone should tar and feather the President... Describe scientific principles behind Creationism without being blocked by the government. The reinstating of parental concented corporeal punishment in public school (or any school for that matter).

Ignorant nonsense.

One may pray out loud in public schools, provided it’s not sanctioned by the state; the same is true of creationism, students are free to talk about it all they wish, but it’s correctly considered religion by the courts, and may not be promoted by the state. See Edwards v. Aguillard (1987).

First Amendment jurisprudence with regard to religious expression and freedom of speech is clear and concise, there’s little not covered by the case law.

No right is absolute, including those enshrined in the First Amendment, and reasonable restrictions have been in place for several decades successfully striking a balance between government’s responsibility to ensure public safety and the rights of the individual.
So, such can be requested by the parents of the students attending the public school..? Unalienable rights sound rather absolute to me. And God is bigger than government. That is why I prefer One Nation Under God to one above God.

So, so far we got

Little Nips has lost the freedom to use our schools as a church
Amazon Tuna can't run an illegal business out of her apartment

What other "freedoms" have we lost?

Are you for the reinstitution of a baccalaureate service for all graduating high school seniors wishing to attend being sponcered by the community the high school serves at large? How about a commencement prayer?

Speak English.

40 years ago even 3 graders would have likely understood what a baccalaureate service was; as well as, commencement exercises. PS> The King James verson of the Bible was written in 5 grade English. Something perhaps too complex for even a graduating senior today. Do you see a purpose for teaching Latin in high school..?

Listen, you illiterate fool. Your sentence structure is shit. I am not hung up on the vocabulary. Try the question again.

So you don't have the freedom to run an illegal business out of your apartment

The freedoms people claim to have lost in this thread is bringing me to tears

Illegal business to whom? I'm running a legit business and offering a service that people are willing to pay for.

In a time where job creation is abysmally weak, where small business entrepreneurship is lacking. You figure that the last thing that the economy needs is someone who is willing to take the best of tangible and intangible resources to make a living for herself and others who she is willing to hire. Destroying a business is your idea of Freedom.

Good to know that we have discovered the moral compass of those who 'claim' to value freedom so much.

So you don't have the freedom to run an illegal business out of your apartment

The freedoms people claim to have lost in this thread is bringing me to tears

Illegal business to whom? I'm running a legit business and offering a service that people are willing to pay for.

In a time where job creation is abysmally weak, where small business entrepreneurship is lacking. You figure that the last thing that the economy needs is someone who is willing to take the best of tangible and intangible resources to make a living for herself and others who she is willing to hire. Destroying a business is your idea of Freedom.

Good to know that we have discovered the moral compass of those who 'claim' to value freedom so much.

So, you want to run a business out of your apartment

Do you have strangers coming in and out?
Are you using those smelly chemicals?

There are reasons we have zoning and it has a lot to do with freedom

What business is it of yours or anyone who I have as clients? I thought you valued Freedom.

If I am, so what? If I'm not, so what? My clients are the ones who choice which products they want in their hair.

The reason is to restrict my rights as a private property owner.

What business is it of yours or anyone who I have as clients? I thought you valued Freedom.

If I am, so what? If I'm not, so what? My clients are the ones who choice which products they want in their hair.

The reason is to restrict my rights as a private property owner.

You live in an apartment. You have a lease

Show where in your lease you are allowed to run a business out of your apartment

Then you can complain about freedom

This thread is pathetic

Who in this thread can identify a time when we had more freedom than today?

Show where in your lease you are allowed to run a business out of your apartment

My name on the lease is permission enough. As long as I am not doing any structural changes, the place is mine to do whatever I please with it. But this is getting off on too many tangents so I will cut to the chase.

If I do happen to start a African Hair Braiding Business out of my apartment, this is what will happen:

The Cosmetology Board will put a notice on my door threatening me to shut down. If I don't, they will force me to shut down. Once they have shut me down, I will be fined according to the regulations of the state. Along with that fine, I will be required to attend Cosmetology School in order to resume my African Hair Braiding Business. This can cost anywhere from $2,500 -$5,000 a year. To add insult to injury, cosmetology school would have taught me absolutely nothing about African Hair Braiding.

I ask you, is this your idea of Freedom? If someone wanted to start a business and make a little money, why can't that person just do it?

My name on the lease is permission enough. As long as I am not doing any structural changes, the place is mine to do whatever I please with it. But this is getting off on too many tangents so I will cut to the chase.

If I do happen to start a African Hair Braiding Business out of my apartment, this is what will happen:

The Cosmetology Board will put a notice on my door threatening me to shut down. If I don't, they will force me to shut down. Once they have shut me down, I will be fined according to the regulations of the state. Along with that fine, I will be required to attend Cosmetology School in order to resume my African Hair Braiding Business. This can cost anywhere from $2,500 -$5,000 a year. To add insult to injury, cosmetology school would have taught me absolutely nothing about African Hair Braiding.

I ask you, is this your idea of Freedom? If someone wanted to start a business and make a little money, why can't that person just do it?

Speaking for your neighbors.......Your freedom ends at my nose

The smelly chemicals you use in your business are more than enough reason to shut you down

You traded freedom for equality.

Freedom was traded for a perception of acceptance and a "feeling" of unearned equality.

Which freedoms have you lost?

The freedom to get on a freaking commercial airliner without having to take my shoes off. Let's start with that. The airline does not require it, the government does, and that is none of the governments business.

Let's start there and work our way up the ladder.

The smelly chemicals you use in your business are more than enough reason to shut you down

I can make terrible smelling food every night. Is that reason enough to have me evicted? I doubt it. Your personal feelings (externalities withstanding) do not trump my rights as a property owner.

Unless you are saying that it does, in with case you have answered your own question. You do not have any more Freedom today than you did at any point in US history.

If you put your nose in front of my forward thrusting fist, that's your right to do, but don't blame me if the two collide.

Freedom was traded for a perception of acceptance and a "feeling" of unearned equality.

The freedom to get on a freaking commercial airliner without having to take my shoes off. Let's start with that. The airline does not require it, the government does, and that is none of the governments business.

Damn......shoe freedom

I suggest a civil rights march on that one. You don't have foot odor issues do you?

If you put your nose in front of my forward thrusting fist, that's your right to do, but don't blame me if the two collide.

Please keep your fingers away from my nose

Damn......shoe freedom

I suggest a civil rights march on that one. You don't have foot odor issues do you?

No answer?

How special

There are protections for workers and customers, neighbors- I'm surprised yo can't do it on the street or in a store zoned for business. Damn lawyers. Do it under the table...good luck.

Forum List

Back