What Happens When the College Snowflakes Move Into the Real World

Thank God my wife and I raised tough kids...my daughter is going to Texas Womens University nursing school and working in a CVS Pharmacy part Time....My son is getting out of the Navy in August..he has already lined up a part time job as a armed security guard while he goes to Texas A&M full time in the fall. Its all in how you raise them. We gave our kids everything they needed, not everything they wanted. My kids dont need a "safe place"

Why are most of you being so friggin harsh on these young kids? Glory, what a crotchety bunch of old poops you are! Or do you just hate them for going to college?
That boss was way too hard on them if his only issue was that petition. Give 'em a talking to and if they didn't receive the marching orders in an acceptable way, THEN fire them. My guess is, these kids had some other black marks in the boss's books before that petition got presented

Once a trouble maker....

Interns exchange free labor for experience. In some fields there is no other way to break into employment. Radio and television stations only hire through their intern program. .

So in real life, they're in a field that is so glutted the labor is free for the asking and there is no market value for it.

Interns exchange free labor for experience. In some fields there is no other way to break into employment. Radio and television stations only hire through their intern program. .

So in real life, they're in a field that is so glutted the labor is free for the asking and there is no market value for it.
That's one way to put it. There are dozens, if not hundreds of jobs that are impossible to get except through an internship, docent or other type of volunteer position. Museums, zoos, all those political interns aren't paid either.

That's one way to put it. There are dozens, if not hundreds of jobs that are impossible to get except through an internship, docent or other type of volunteer position. Museums, zoos, all those political interns aren't paid either.

That may be; there is certainly never going to be a shortage of labor racketeering scams, that's for sure. New ones are dreamed up every week.

There is nothing wrong with a bunch of interns asking for a relaxed dress code

However, doing it in the form of petition is a challenge on authority

There is nothing wrong with a bunch of interns asking for a relaxed dress code

However, doing it in the form of petition is a challenge on authority

True, however there is something wrong with interns sleeping on the job.

the kids sound like arrogant idiots who should have shut up and been grateful for the chance to build their resumes.

that's why they got firied.

And that's your party's future base voter.

Have fun.

'Intern' is just code for morons who will work free or very cheap. Idiots who work for a for-profit business for free shouldn't be hired in the first place. I'd have more respect for dumpster diver, at least they're self-employed and motivated, while 'intern' just screams 'Butt Stupid', with no self-respect or drive worth noting.
They are suckered with promises of potential future employment opportunities.

In Engineering 99% of all internships are paid, and it has been that way for a long time. I could never understand how a person would work for free, without even costs being compensated for.

Snowflakes will have to eventually enter the business world and it is dog eat dog to put it mildly.

'Intern' is just code for morons who will work free or very cheap. Idiots who work for a for-profit business for free shouldn't be hired in the first place. I'd have more respect for dumpster diver, at least they're self-employed and motivated, while 'intern' just screams 'Butt Stupid', with no self-respect or drive worth noting.

In Engineering 99% of all internships are paid, and it has been that way for a long time. I could never understand how a person would work for free, without even costs being compensated for.

I was an engineering intern also and I was paid

I think it is criminal to expect someone to work without any compensation other than ...if you are good, we might hire you

I think it is criminal to expect someone to work without any compensation other than ...if you are good, we might hire you

Most engineering firms also ask more from their interns than "go get coffee".

Granted I was an intern post-Bachelor's degree while I got my Masters, and yes I did do the "make copies of the presentation and collate" tasks, but I also did prelim reviews on shop drawings, filled in as a mechanical inspector, and did overnight shifts during startup of Wastewater treatment pilot reactors.

And all for $12 an hour in 1997-99, which wasn't bad at all.

Most engineering firms also ask more from their interns than "go get coffee".

Granted I was an intern post-Bachelor's degree while I got my Masters, and yes I did do the "make copies of the presentation and collate" tasks, but I also did prelim reviews on shop drawings, filled in as a mechanical inspector, and did overnight shifts during startup of Wastewater treatment pilot reactors.

And all for $12 an hour in 1997-99, which wasn't bad at all.

If interns are truly being mentored and the mentor is spending personal time to "train" the intern or the intern receives college credit....I can see no compensation

But if the intern is performing tasks from which the company benefits, that intern should be compensated

Getting coffee should never be a task for an uncompensated employee

Why are most of you being so friggin harsh on these young kids? Glory, what a crotchety bunch of old poops you are! Or do you just hate them for going to college?
That boss was way too hard on them if his only issue was that petition. Give 'em a talking to and if they didn't receive the marching orders in an acceptable way, THEN fire them. My guess is, these kids had some other black marks in the boss's books before that petition got presented
We are all laughing at the level of poor parenting and educators there are in society now. We now have an entire generation of ignorant pansy's.
Laughing because it's that or cry.
The idea that they thought a petition was the way to go was laughable

But it provides a valuable life lesson
Yes. Businesses are NOT a democracy.

Once a trouble maker....
I've never been a boss. I guess I'll take your words for it (you and Rightwinger)

What Happens When the College Snowflakes Move Into the Real World

Why do Republicans even care. We know what they think of education.

Rick Santorum explains it perfectly.

What an idiotic thing to say.

So, how's the pickins' in the dumpsters these days?

Forum List

Back