What human cost is acceptable in controling illegal immigration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, if we really wanted to reduce the number of illegals, all we have to do is pass a law that anybody caught here illegally faces a minimum five year prison sentence. It could be more depending on how good the judge feels that day.

At least 11 million of the illegals will be running to that border so fast it would make your head spin.
Those people from Honduras would probably consider 5 years in a federal prison free room and board, far better than what awaits them at home. It just delays deportation and cost a bunch of money. This is one of the reasons we rarely imprison someone for illegal entry.

No, it's because it's only considered a misdemeanor. If it was a first degree felony, we would reduce our immigration population by at least 90%, and reduce border crossings by even more.
For first time offenders, it's a misdemeanor. Although Trump devotees consider it on par with rape or murder, the penalty makes it about as serious as trespassing. Of course the real punishment is deportation. However, immigration courts don't punish people. Deportation is only a change of immigration status since this is being handled in a civil not a criminal court.

For repeat offenders it can be tried as a felony. In the federal system an imprisonment penalty of one year or over is considered a felony. My understanding is Trump is moving repeat offenders to criminal court which is not likely to consider the reason for the crime nor the effect of conviction on the family plus there is no huge backlog. So they should be open and shut cases, ideal for plea bargains. However, in a criminal court the defendant is entitled to a jury trial unlike immigration court.

I seriously doubt that any penalty other than death for illegal entry would have any effect on illegal immigration. From the questions I read on the Internet from people facing deportation, they don't have a clue how our legal system works and know even less about immigration courts or laws and these are probably the smart ones.

I don't buy that one minute. Third world countries are not totally void of news and communications. Right..........they didn't know. That's like asking a convict in prison if they did the crime. Nine times out of ten they will deny it.

Create a strong enough deterrent and it will reduce the number of illegals greatly. Put up signs within ten miles of our border of what the penalties are here so nobody can use that excuse anymore.

Cut their heads off and put then on stakes across our borders and sell their children to human traffickers.

Right, because that's the same thing, isn't it? Then you wonder why we can't take you people seriously.

You confuse Sarcasm for Truth or dare...................meme was sent to hit a raw nerve ending..........mission accomplished.......

Why did the Dems not fund more for more beds and judges..........it was proposed.

When people post memes, it's because they believe they have at least a kernal of truth in them if not much more.
That is a opinion and your opinion doesn't out weigh mine..................

And it is also a sign that some of us are tired of hearing your BS save the children campaign..................Bitch at us with no solutions offered............

Again tell me the ANGELS OF MERCY DEMS PROPOSALS.......................

I've offered solutions doofus. Not my fault you don't like them. If you prefer child abuse, that is your choice.
It is child abuse if you put them in prison.............Dems policies have encouraged more to come...........and their REFUSAL to fund more facilities gives them NO MORAL ground on this issue.....................If they want to end the over crowding then they need to get off their Liberal Asses and do something other than Whine.................

And this we are Abusing Children is a political tactic for the coming election...........Your just practicing your next political junta.

You gave solutions.........I didn't see them.........been busy................Now show me the Dems bills they tried to pass................over then Amnesty and open borders.............Catch and Release is open borders.........Might as well bring home border agents and say FUCK IT under that policy.

So why is we MUST HAVE this particular policy? There are family facilities that can hold them prior to their hearing, something mentioned before but ignored by you. Why do you so fiercely defend THIS particular policy? Do you believe that if we ditch this PARTICULAR policy, we will lose our war against immigration and they will come flooding in murdering and raping us in our beds or something? Do you believe if we say this PARTICULAR policy sucks, that means there are NO OTHER alternatives?

So why do you need to defend it? Because you Republicans can't just say it sucks? No...wait, a lot of Republicans don't much like it either. You Trumpists then? This one policy MUST BE RETAINED?
Show me the family facilities..............and when convicted of a felony with children.............do they get a pass like under Obama.............

If charged with a Felony...........they go to the House.............kids don't go with them.........

After being caught the first time they are WARNED it is a FELONY if caught again..............yet they do it anyway..........whether they bring their kids or not..........

Show me the family facilities of ICE.....................

Those people from Honduras would probably consider 5 years in a federal prison free room and board, far better than what awaits them at home. It just delays deportation and cost a bunch of money. This is one of the reasons we rarely imprison someone for illegal entry.

No, it's because it's only considered a misdemeanor. If it was a first degree felony, we would reduce our immigration population by at least 90%, and reduce border crossings by even more.
For first time offenders, it's a misdemeanor. Although Trump devotees consider it on par with rape or murder, the penalty makes it about as serious as trespassing. Of course the real punishment is deportation. However, immigration courts don't punish people. Deportation is only a change of immigration status since this is being handled in a civil not a criminal court.

For repeat offenders it can be tried as a felony. In the federal system an imprisonment penalty of one year or over is considered a felony. My understanding is Trump is moving repeat offenders to criminal court which is not likely to consider the reason for the crime nor the effect of conviction on the family plus there is no huge backlog. So they should be open and shut cases, ideal for plea bargains. However, in a criminal court the defendant is entitled to a jury trial unlike immigration court.

I seriously doubt that any penalty other than death for illegal entry would have any effect on illegal immigration. From the questions I read on the Internet from people facing deportation, they don't have a clue how our legal system works and know even less about immigration courts or laws and these are probably the smart ones.

I don't buy that one minute. Third world countries are not totally void of news and communications. Right..........they didn't know. That's like asking a convict in prison if they did the crime. Nine times out of ten they will deny it.

Create a strong enough deterrent and it will reduce the number of illegals greatly. Put up signs within ten miles of our border of what the penalties are here so nobody can use that excuse anymore.

Cut their heads off and put then on stakes across our borders and sell their children to human traffickers.

Right, because that's the same thing, isn't it? Then you wonder why we can't take you people seriously.

How is that any different then conflating all illegal immigrants with murderers and rapists and child traffickers? Because they're the same right?

On the second offense it is a felony..........and those get put into prison with some very bad people.........Let's put the children into prison with drug traffickers and Human Traffickers.

In the Omnibus they only gave Trump half what he requested for more beds.
They also weren't so nice on implementing E-Verify............didn't give enough for more judges but more judges for immigration courts did happen..........

Everything some have complained about here was proposed.................

Want more beds and speedy trials.............how about voting to fund it.

Sure. But I sure as hell won't vote for tearing children from their families. Strange but - that wasn't necessary before. Nor was it the policy. Now suddenly, it must be done. And folks pretend it's for the good of the children. I say bullshit on that. Not when there are other accommodations for families.
Of course it wasn't done under Catch and Release............aka IGNORING THE LAWS OF THE REPUBLIC.............when it suits you............

You only need to follow the law when you choose correct........or is OBAMA A GOD.............with his pen and a phone.........do whatever he wants..........

Again ............other than Amnesty and Catch and Release...........what are their bills to fix this..........

Dems are Very good at Bitching at others ideas..........and then not having solutions themselves..........go get some pom poms and do your chant from the Cheap Seats in the bleachers

In the mean time............our laws are now being enforced and Catch and Release is over..............No more Welcome Mat........and children will NOT BE HOUSED WITH HARD CORE CRIMINALS.................As has been standard policy for a very long time...........But you just noticed.......for political reasons.

Link showing that these children were housed with hardcore criminals?
Jesus........use google...........Private companies run the jails were those who are considered criminal go to........including second offenses which are considered a Felony................They put the bad guys there as well.

You demand answers from me................yet REFUSE to give the bills from the Dems to fix this..............must be nice to demand when you give nothing in return.

Don't dodge. Link showing that these children were housed with hardcore criminals?
I'm working 12 hour shifts right now........don't have time to play your stupid game right now.........google it.....it's there............They are mostly Private prisons........................do you deny the second offense is a felony.................Let's put felons in family centers............LOL

You want Catch and Release...............and you sure as hell don't want our borders secure.............That policy is OPEN BORDERS............why did they even bother to detain ANYONE under Obama.............when they let them go anyway..................

Kind of a Waste of time.

How is that any different then conflating all illegal immigrants with murderers and rapists and child traffickers? Because they're the same right?

A much much higher probability than cutting off people's heads, don't you think? Do these people bring identification that the children with them are actually theirs? Of course not. We just have to take their word for it.

A much much higher probability than cutting off people's heads, don't you think? Do these people bring identification that the children with them are actually theirs? Of course not. We just have to take their word for it.
Them using it is pure desperation for a new tactic of the SAVE THE CHILDREN CAMPAIGN for office in November.

They are just trolling the idea right now...............experimental..............

There is a much higher probability that they are their kids don't you think?

Sure. But I sure as hell won't vote for tearing children from their families. Strange but - that wasn't necessary before. Nor was it the policy. Now suddenly, it must be done. And folks pretend it's for the good of the children. I say bullshit on that. Not when there are other accommodations for families.
Of course it wasn't done under Catch and Release............aka IGNORING THE LAWS OF THE REPUBLIC.............when it suits you............

You only need to follow the law when you choose correct........or is OBAMA A GOD.............with his pen and a phone.........do whatever he wants..........

Again ............other than Amnesty and Catch and Release...........what are their bills to fix this..........

Dems are Very good at Bitching at others ideas..........and then not having solutions themselves..........go get some pom poms and do your chant from the Cheap Seats in the bleachers

In the mean time............our laws are now being enforced and Catch and Release is over..............No more Welcome Mat........and children will NOT BE HOUSED WITH HARD CORE CRIMINALS.................As has been standard policy for a very long time...........But you just noticed.......for political reasons.

Jesus........use google...........Private companies run the jails were those who are considered criminal go to........including second offenses which are considered a Felony................They put the bad guys there as well.

You demand answers from me................yet REFUSE to give the bills from the Dems to fix this..............must be nice to demand when you give nothing in return.

Don't dodge. Link showing that these children were housed with hardcore criminals?
I'm working 12 hour shifts right now........don't have time to play your stupid game right now.........google it.....it's there............They are mostly Private prisons........................do you deny the second offense is a felony.................Let's put felons in family centers............LOL

You want Catch and Release...............and you sure as hell don't want our borders secure.............That policy is OPEN BORDERS............why did they even bother to detain ANYONE under Obama.............when they let them go anyway..................

Kind of a Waste of time.

Then you sure as hell shouldn't have time to be messing about on a silly political messageboard I would think. If you don't have a link, then fine. Stop farting around.

Why do you think this is a good policy? It wasn't necessary before. Why now?

Kind of a Waste of time.

Then you sure as hell shouldn't have time to be messing about on a silly political messageboard I would think. If you don't have a link, then fine. Stop farting around.

I showed Trump's request..........more beds.......more agents........more judges and staff...........E-Verify.............

and I agree............

Now the Dems plan is ........................here it is

There you go.

Night folks...........enough for one night..................arguing with the Double Standards and Identity politics of the left.

Jeff Sessions and Donald Trump:
"If you are smuggling a child then we will prosecute you, and that child will be separated from you as required by law," Attorney General Jeff Sessions said Monday at a law enforcement conference in Scottsdale, Arizona. "If you don't like that, then don't smuggle children over our border."

Administration officials explained that the goal of the program is 100 percent prosecution of all who enter the U.S. illegally. When adults are prosecuted and jailed, their children will be separated from them, just as would happen for a U.S. citizen convicted and jailed.

Anguish at Southwest border as more immigrant children are separated from parents
The Trump administration's willingness to take children from their parents has raised concerns about how far authorities should go to stem unauthorized border crossings and what human cost is acceptable in the name of border security and immigration control.

"There is something terrible happening here that Americans would not support if they understood it," said F. Scott McCown, director of the Children’s Rights Clinic at the University of Texas at Austin School of Law.

I don't care how much you hate illegal immigrants this is EVIL. You are punishing the children. It's abhorrant and wrong and inexcusable. I hope they rot in hell for this. 700 children so far have been seperated from the only family they know and lost to our often incompetent and mismanaged child care system. I fail to see how any parent could support actions like these.

When parents are held for prosecution, their children are turned over to the Office of Refugee Resettlement, part of the Department of Health and Human Services. The children are then designated as "unaccompanied minors," and the government tries to connect them to family members who are already in the U.S. Until then, children wait in shelters or are sent to federally contracted foster homes, often without parents being told exactly where they are, immigration advocates said.

It may soon become even more difficult to place children with relatives. The Department of Homeland Security is proposing immigration checks be done on all people in a household who may take in these "unaccompanied" children, which means relatives who are undocumented may be less likely to come forward.

In the meantime, space in shelters and foster homes is limited; The Washington Post reported the administration plans to open facilities at military bases to house some of the separated children.

"Conservatives" proclaim to love the Constitution as it was ORIGINALLY INTENDED. But when it comes to sticking to immigrants everything goes.

NO AUTHORITY WAS EVER GRANTED TO FEDGOV TO INTERDICT DETAIN AND DEPORT . WHATEVER AUTHORITY IT HAS WAS ****USURPED**** BY RACIST MOTHERFUCKING "JUDGES".

Man, sure, that's going to happen really quietly as well, right. Not like we can't just push the ladder over, right?

You obviously do not live down here, Pop. You could walk 50 miles along the Mexican border in Arizona at night and not see a soul. And you are going to push over a rope ladder? Do all of you Trumpetts live in Disneyland?

Who said the wall won’t have lighting and guards?

You living in the Stone Age?

Actually, Pop, if you had the slightest idea what you were talking about, you would not even ask that question. Not only are there no paved roads down there, but no other infrastructure as well. There is no water, gas stations, electricity, or restaurants. more importantly, there are no people, and no places for them to live if there were. The BP in Southern AZ is 85% Latino, because they crossed the border years ago, and nobody else is going to drive all the way down there from Tucson to patrol one of the most inhospitable places in the US.

THEY WILL USE ELECTRONIC SURVEILLANCE NOT RANDOMLY DRIVE ALONG THE WALL YOU STUPID FUCKING DISHONEST PIECE OF SHIT. WHAT ABOUT THIS DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?

And you've ignored the obviously idiotic response you gave that you're sending five year olds and pregnant women down a 30 foot rope

Border-wall-migrants-e1525386526123.jpg

Oh, and BTW, they already use electronic surveillance. That is how they discovered over 100 tunnels under Nogales in the last 10 years. They also send down heat seeking drones down the Santa Cruz River bed every night. I like to watch them fly by in patterns of three every night from my patio. It does not discourage them at all. But Trump's WALL! Wow. That will show them!
----------------------------- aw , the WALL if done is simply a poke in the eyes to mexican third worlders from my point of view , Its simply an insult from ME to mexicans and other 'otm' VS .

Don't separate the children from their parents.
So if an American couple are arrested for some white collar crime, and are sentenced to 20 years, and they have a 1 year old child, that kid should be in their prison cell with them, until the kid reaches 21 years of age, right ? Right ? :biggrin:
That's not a fair comparison. No one is goes to jail for 20 years for unlawful entry into the US or unlawful presence. There is no reason why parents should be separated from their children while they are being detained. They can be held in family detention centers. If the adults are convicted of a crime and sent to prison, then the children should should be turned over to an agency for placement. If they are deported they should be turned back over to parents.

Separating these children from their parents is a disaster waiting to happen particular with the younger kids. The Trump administration has made separating kids of detained parents a policy which means there're going have thousands of them. When these kids start turning up missing or worse and can't be returned to the parents, the democrats will have a field day.

Kind of a Waste of time.

I showed Trump's request..........more beds.......more agents........more judges and staff...........E-Verify.............

and I agree............

Now the Dems plan is ........................here it is

There you go.

Let's see...what have the Dems done...

2013...many attempts to pass bills....so here are two....

House Democrats have released their own immigration bill. Here’s what it does.

This year....Schumer offered Trump his wall in exchange for strong DACA protections...Trump reneged at the last minute and the offer was taken off the table. Analysis | Schumer offered Trump something Democrats hate for something Republicans broadly like

Of course the Dems are the minority party now, so their bills aren't even going to get to the floor.

Now what have Republicans done besides creating a POLICY (not a bill) to forceably remove children from every illegal immigrant and asylum seeker that crosses the border.

"If you are smuggling a child then we will prosecute you, and that child will be separated from you as required by law," Attorney General Jeff Sessions said Monday at a law enforcement conference in Scottsdale, Arizona. "If you don't like that, then don't smuggle children over our border."

Administration officials explained that the goal of the program is 100 percent prosecution of all who enter the U.S. illegally. When adults are prosecuted and jailed, their children will be separated from them, just as would happen for a U.S. citizen convicted and jailed.

Anguish at Southwest border as more immigrant children are separated from parents
The Trump administration's willingness to take children from their parents has raised concerns about how far authorities should go to stem unauthorized border crossings and what human cost is acceptable in the name of border security and immigration control.

"There is something terrible happening here that Americans would not support if they understood it," said F. Scott McCown, director of the Children’s Rights Clinic at the University of Texas at Austin School of Law.

I don't care how much you hate illegal immigrants this is EVIL. You are punishing the children. It's abhorrant and wrong and inexcusable. I hope they rot in hell for this. 700 children so far have been seperated from the only family they know and lost to our often incompetent and mismanaged child care system. I fail to see how any parent could support actions like these.

When parents are held for prosecution, their children are turned over to the Office of Refugee Resettlement, part of the Department of Health and Human Services. The children are then designated as "unaccompanied minors," and the government tries to connect them to family members who are already in the U.S. Until then, children wait in shelters or are sent to federally contracted foster homes, often without parents being told exactly where they are, immigration advocates said.

It may soon become even more difficult to place children with relatives. The Department of Homeland Security is proposing immigration checks be done on all people in a household who may take in these "unaccompanied" children, which means relatives who are undocumented may be less likely to come forward.

In the meantime, space in shelters and foster homes is limited; The Washington Post reported the administration plans to open facilities at military bases to house some of the separated children.

"Conservatives" proclaim to love the Constitution as it was ORIGINALLY INTENDED. But when it comes to sticking to immigrants everything goes.

NO AUTHORITY WAS EVER GRANTED TO FEDGOV TO INTERDICT DETAIN AND DEPORT . WHATEVER AUTHORITY IT HAS WAS ****USURPED**** BY RACIST MOTHERFUCKING "JUDGES".

Thanks for that post. Another open-border leftist.

Kind of a Waste of time.

Why do you think every policy has to be based on necessity? How about he just wanted to do it to send a message to future law breakers coming to this country?

Kind of a Waste of time.

Why do you think every policy has to be based on necessity? How about he just wanted to do it to send a message to future law breakers coming to this country?

Because it crosses the line to cruel and abusive tactics and if it is unnecessary, why do it? Hyperbole yes - but, just go put heads on stakes.

There is a much higher probability that they are their kids don't you think?

I don't know and I don't think our government has anyway of knowing. That's the point brought up by others. We are not going to spend the money to do a DNA test on each family to find out either.

This is now our policy. If you don't like our policy, stay in your own country and wait for a Democrat President before trying to come here.

Kind of a Waste of time.

Because it crosses the line to cruel and abusive tactics and if it is unnecessary, why do it? Hyperbole yes - but, just go put heads on stakes.

You never learn, do you? That tactic has zero chance of changing anybody's mind here or anyplace else. Extremism is desperation and everybody knows it.

There is nothing cruel and abusive about taking starving kids, putting them in a shelter, getting them cleaned up, fed, medical treatment if necessary, or otherwise sending them to live with relatives already in the US. What could possibly be cruel about that?

bs, the stupid jerks should not HAVE kids. They know damned well what causes kids, how to prevent it, and they also know damned well that they can't afford kids. So they come here to steal our jobs and mooch off of the taxpayer. I say eff em. Let them stay where they are, stop having kids and soon, labor will be worth something where they live.
When they came to the US seeking asylums, they probably didn't expect the first thing the US would do was take away kids. There mistake was not realizing that "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" was just all bullshit. They should have just stayed in Honduras and taken their chances with Mara Salvatrucha and the Barrio 18.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back